PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, I'm new to all this and have a couple of Q's

03-27-2001, 12:11 AM
1, Just started training in Fujian White Crane, does anyone have any paticular views on this style?

2, Does anyone know where I can find diagrams which show the basic patterns or stances for the above style, preferably on the www or in a book? As I would like to complement my training by practising at home.

3, Anyone know how to develop my ability in press ups. I use static weights in the gym 3 times a week but can't do press ups to save my life. Does the fact that I'm 16 stone cause a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help, and hopefully as I develop i might be able to return the favour in the future. :)

joedoe
03-27-2001, 02:04 AM
Hey bluebones, welcome to the forum :)

I understand Fukien White Crane is a very effective style. Nice to watch too. Unfortunately I don't know any resources for you to look up on the style.

Press/push-ups are a biatch. They use different muscle groups to most weight training exercises, particularly certain types of push-ups. Being heavy does not help at all. However, if you are proportionately strong then it shouldn't matter.

The main thing is to keep trying. Eventually you will get there.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Drunken Monkey
03-27-2001, 04:41 AM
Yeah, for that push up bit, try doing just a little bit or start on your knees and work your way up. Its pretty effective.

P.S. I'm new too.

dunbarj01
03-27-2001, 04:45 AM
Hi Bluebones,

Welcome.

I understand there are about 4 (maybe five forms of Fujian White Crane). A good book to look at is Yang Jwing Ming's Shaolin White Crane Kung Fu. He covers the style he does but also gives some background on the other variants. It is supposed to be a very good style and covers both hard and soft techniques.

Cheers,

SevenStar
03-27-2001, 08:10 AM
just start slow. do as many as you can without stopping. the next week, aim to add at least 5 on to what your previous max was. you should be able to increase pretty fast.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

dunbarj01
03-28-2001, 02:40 AM
Here is the site / page for the book mentioned above:

www.ymaa.com/BookPages/B025.html (http://www.ymaa.com/BookPages/B025.html)