PDA

View Full Version : DIETS AND YOUR BODY

Martial Joe
04-23-2001, 05:42 AM
Ok...
...Can everyone who reads this tell me a real good diet that is almost insane but not unhealthy.And what are some methods of muscle conditioning that you do.For strenth training and for getting cut.I think I am doing alright right now.
Well anyway...
...anything you guys know.Just type away?!?

Joe Kavey

joedoe
04-23-2001, 05:50 AM
What do you want to achieve out of your diet?

I am at the end of the Liver Cleansing Diet and it has worked wonders for me. But that was because my Liver was struggling and I needed to lose weight. It probably won't help you if you want to bulk up.

You have no chance to survive - make your time.

Martial Joe
04-23-2001, 06:01 AM
Well share away...I want all the information you guys can put out.
I like knowledge of the bodies dietary system.

8stepsifu
04-23-2001, 07:03 AM
1-meat, olive oil, bread, beer, cheese, salt, lot and lots of water.

2- balance yang (meat tofu) with yin (fruit) and get as many carbs as you are currently burning and no more. Cut the carbs to cut fat content, but keep the meat and fruit. More meat to be more outgoing, more yin fruit to mellow out.

Pick fish over red mean. Omega 3 fatty acids are great.

3) eat what feels right, listen to your body and eat accordingly. If you are working out hard, certain foods like choclate cake will actually disgust you.

4) according to the gypsies eating eggs make you weak and runny. Eat tiger to be fierce, bear to be strong, antelope for speed, cow for cud chewing abilities. Its the classical applroach to diet. Eat with mediteranean food. (this is probably your best bet)

don't worry be happy

joedoe
04-23-2001, 08:13 AM
OK, well basically the book will give you more info, but the aim is to get the liver into working order as it is the body's main fat metabolising organ.

It basically advocates plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, plenty of fluids, minimise processed sugars, avoid hydrogenated vegetable oils, any oils you take should not be heated beyond 100 degrees celcius, and minimise your red meat intake. Pretty simple.

Other guidelines include not eating unless you are hungry, and not eating before going to sleep.

The diet itself is not too hard to follow, but even if you can't follow it then following the guidelines given is often enough to help improve liver function and improve your ability to lose weight. The diet lasts for 8 weeks and is actually fairly pleasant.

I started it a few months back and felt the benefits within days. Within 6 weeks I had lost almost 15lbs, and that was without sticking to the diet strictly. Now I feel more energetic and more inclined to exercise and eat healthy foods.

If you are interested, the book is written by Dr Sandra Cabot. It should still be available at bookstores.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

fiercest tiger
04-23-2001, 08:20 AM
mcdonalds to beef up!

speed to strip down!

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Fu-Pow
04-24-2001, 01:10 AM
Check out "Eating For Optimal Health" by Andrew Weil. It will tell you everything you need to know about nutrition. I believe it is available in paper back now....

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/logo.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Ford Prefect
04-24-2001, 04:58 PM
There are no absolutes when it comes to diets. The FDA even admits that they don't have a clue. Out of personal experience and from results that I've witnessed with friends and family, "The Zone" by Barry Sears and the "Atkins Diet" by you guessed it Dr. Atkins have produced good results. Anybody who says that one diet is right and another is wrong has their head up their arse as the entire health/fitness/nutrition community would pay very well for concrete scientific proof of any results. (ie It doesn't exist)

"Who's house?"
"I said RUN's house."

SevenStar
04-25-2001, 08:14 AM
What Abandit said sounded right on point for losing weight. The only thing I differ with in his post is only eating when you are hungry. Foods that contain complex carbs or are rich in protein have a thermic effect on the body and help keep your metabolism up. eating healthy snacks every four hours or so *note: HEALTHY* will help you to burn more calories throughout the day.

If you are trying to bulk up, then you want to eat more, of course. Find out how many calories it takes for you to maintain your current body weight. once that is determined, you want to exceed that amount by about 1,000 calories a day. take in complex carbs and proteins, limit fat intake to about 10-20% or so of your total calories. Eat carbs, but watch how much you take in - the body stores excess carbs as fat, which you don't want to happen. The body can't store protein, so what it can't use just goes into the toilet. Get your calories by eating several times a day, but be careful not to eat large meals late in the evening, as your body won't have as long to digest them before you go to sleep. while you sleep your metabolism will slow down, and in the morning your body will have to digest breakfast AND what's still left from the previous evening. I know a few serious bodybuilders that take in no carbs at all after 4 pm.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

northstar
04-25-2001, 03:41 PM
Just a comment: the idea that carbohydrates consumed late in the day/evening will make you fatter is an old myth without any reality to it. The only scientifically proven (meaning that isn't pure speculation) diet consists of a low fat diet including a lot of carbohydrates, and a mix of animal (plus fish) and vegetable nutrients. Eat low fat and diverse.

kronos
04-25-2001, 04:21 PM
Northstar,

eat what you want, but please stop spouting that same high carb garbage that has failed so many people. And while you are at it, please present the so called "scientific" proof of the superiority of the high carb approach.

Ive done low carb diets for 6 or 7 years now and during that time have never been in better health. the high carb, low fat approach failed me terribly. Read Enter the Zone as a good intro to sensible eating.

dumog93
04-29-2001, 06:42 AM
I tried the low to no carb diet for 8 weeks.Now this may not be enough time to give it a really good chance,but i felt like total crap.Also,i'm not saying it won't work for some people.I'm 5'9",185 with fairly low bodyfat and this diet shot my energy level to hell.I'm not sure how people get around it,but without carbs i just feel like sleeping all day,even when i NEED to be doing something productive.I'm more of the thinking that you should know your body well enough to know what does it good and what doesn't.I'll put my pizza and pasta abs up against any of the hardcore vegetarians out there.It sounded good too,high protein...how can that be bad? Well i can tell you that i think my machine needs carbs.It seems some of these people might be better off to just get in a gym and start stimulating their nervous system a bit more and making their body burn it off rather than putting yourself through the gruelling act of a low carb diet.More exercise,less garbage.Of course some people would cringe to see what i eat as well.

-Devildog

Mr. Nemo
04-29-2001, 08:33 AM
"The only scientifically proven (meaning that isn't pure speculation) diet consists of a low fat diet including a lot of carbohydrates, and a mix of animal (plus fish) and vegetable nutrients. Eat low fat and diverse."

What do you mean, "scientifically proven"? Proven to do what? Are you saying low-carb diets are "pure speculation"?

northstar
05-01-2001, 01:52 PM
Kronos, Nemo,
you are right, I shouldn't have written proven. My point is that, when speaking about a diet that will be your normal day to day diet and not a weight shedding time restricted diet, most of those who study human nutrition with a foundation in the biochemical workings of metbolism will say that 1 - people generally eat to much and 2 - that the majority of your daily energy intake should be in the form of carbohydrates.
I do not mean that you should consume excess amounts of carbohydrates, again the basic problem for most people is that they eat too much.
A diet with a large fraction of carbs will not be fattening to most people. The reason for this is that the conversion of carbohydrates to fat is dependant on the enzyme citrate lyase. In most humans the activity of this enzyme is very low, meaning that they don't convert even excess carbs into fat. This same lack of enzymatic activity is also responsible for that proteins consumed in excess of energy needs won't be fattening.
As for "speculation": yes, low-carbs is a speculation, albeit grounded in science. This doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It simply means that it might very well be just another fad, since we cannot as yet tell about the long ter effects on a mass scale in the population.

jackiech
05-03-2001, 10:41 PM
Start drinking coffee without any cookies.
When you drink lot of it (meaby 5-8 a cup of day)then you aren't so hungry anymore