PDA

View Full Version : un blocking sinuses

tanglangman
03-27-2001, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know of any points that I can massage to help unblock my sinuses. I am recovering from a cold and my sinuses are really bugging me.

Any ideas??

Fu-Pow
03-28-2001, 02:01 AM
From www drweil.com.....

Regularly flushing your nasal passages with a warm saline solution is one of the best things you can do to relieve sinus congestion and prevent sinus infections. Unpleasant as it may sound (it's also called nasal douching), inhaling lots of warm, salty water promotes drainage, speeds healing of inflamed tissues, and reduces pain.

The advantage of the Neti Pot, a traditional, Indian nasal-irrigation device shaped like Aladdin's lamp, is that it lets you pour the water into your nose -- so you can get more in than with other methods. In fact, the directions for the Neti Pot call for emptying the contents of the pot (8 ounces of salt water) into one nostril and then mixing up another batch to irrigate the other.

But you don't have to use a Neti Pot. You can simply pour the solution (1/4 teaspoon salt dissolved in 1 cup warm water) into your cupped hand and inhale it through one nostril while closing the other with a finger. You can also sniff it from a small cup, or squirt it into your nostrils with a rubber-bulb syringe. Just inhale enough water to spit it out through your mouth. (If you're using the Neti Pot, you should insert the spout of the pot into one nostril and hold it so the saline solution enters one nostril and drains out of the other.)

If you're susceptible to sinus problems, you should irrigate your nasal passages daily. When you have an infection, irrigate more frequently -- up to four times a day. This will help bring the infection under control more quickly. Here are some other self-help methods that can bring relief:

Eliminate milk and all milk products from your diet, including any prepared foods that list milk as an ingredient. This can lead to a dramatic improvement in chronic sinus problems after about two months.
Don't smoke, and avoid smokey environments. It sounds drastic, but if you live in a smoggy area, you should consider moving. If that's not an option, equip your home with air filters.
At the first sign of sinus trouble, put hot, wet towels over your whole upper face. Work up to as much heat as you can stand, and keep applying the towels every 15 minutes. Do this three or four times a day. It is an excellent home treatment for sinus congestion and sinusitis since it promotes drainage and increases blood flow to the area.
Although sinus infections often clear up on their own, severe ones may require antibiotic treatment.

Also,
Eucalyptus (Eucaluptus globulus)
dried leaves of eucalyptus trees
Used for:

Respiratory problems including chest congestion, bronchitis, bronchial cough, laryngitis and sinusitis
Sore throat
As a natural antibacterial agent
Available in: Whole fresh and dried leaves, essential oils, salves and rubs

Herb/drug interactions: No known interactions

When buying: Choose oils containing 100% pure eucalyptus or at least 55% eucalyptol.

Warning: For topical use only. Do not get in eyes or nasal passages.

DOSAGES

Adults:
A small handful of whole leaves or a teaspoon of the essential oils in boiling water for twice-daily steam inhalations. A few teaspoons of crushed leaf in a cup of hot water as a gargle for sore throat. Apply rubs as needed to chest and throat or around nostrils to ease congestion.

Children under 10:
Same as above

Hope that helps, check out www.drweil.com (http://www.drweil.com) he's got good natural remedies....

Fu-Pow

Fu-Pow
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

tanglangman
03-28-2001, 03:03 PM
It's cleared up now but thanks anyway. I am sure that it will come in usefull in the future.

JWTAYLOR
03-28-2001, 06:37 PM
I hate to do it, but the salt water sinus flus works like a charm. Makes me gag every time, but it works great.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

SilentShadow
03-29-2001, 07:18 AM
If you want a quick and easy solution to sinus blockage, I would personally suggest a vicks inhaler. One shot in each nostril will clear you up right away.

"The way lays claim to no merit, therefore merit never deserts it." - Lao Tzu

Mr. Nemo
03-31-2001, 10:08 PM
This may sound weird, but I use altoids or certs to clear up my sinuses. They work really well.

Phil Redmond
09-18-2001, 10:18 AM
On either side of the bottom of the nostrils is an indentation (above the gums). These bilateral points are called, large intestine 20 or Yingxiang. If you message these points with the tip of your finger in a circular pattern, you should get some relief temporarily.
All the best.