PDA

View Full Version : Chain Punching

Super_Kick
10-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Does WC weapon training use chain punching with swords? I know that many styles use similar techniques in both unarmed and armed fighting.

Super_Kick
10-18-2011, 09:08 AM
What about the kicking? Are there weapons for the legs?

NelisVingTsun
10-18-2011, 09:30 AM
What about the kicking? Are there weapons for the legs?

army boots

k gledhill
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Does WC weapon training use chain punching with swords? I know that many styles use similar techniques in both unarmed and armed fighting.

army boots

Err........what ?

LoneTiger108
10-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Does WC weapon training use chain punching with swords?

FME It may all depend on who you learnt from and whether or not you were trusted enough to be taught the blades beyond a simple form.

But in short, yes, in my lineage we do.

anerlich
10-18-2011, 01:49 PM

No.

There are continuous slashing and stabbing, and "punching" with the guards of the swords, but I wouldn't call them chain punching.

Yoshiyahu
10-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Yes and No...

If you look at the video of Ip Chun doing the Bart Cham Dao you will see a technique which is short technique that is symbolism of chain punch with the swords. But the energy is different since they are swords they are short slicing down motions and or the short stabbing motions.

Yip Chun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9-cJdG_fr4&feature=related

Time Stamp: 1:58

my computer is moving slow so i cant tell you the time stamp when he does the downward slashes...

LoneTiger108
10-19-2011, 01:55 AM
No.

There are continuous slashing and stabbing, and "punching" with the guards of the swords, but I wouldn't call them chain punching.

FWIW the chinese term for 'chain' or 'linked' is called 'lien wan' because it references continual linked practise methods, and 'lien wan do fut' is a specific term for the knives which originates with our signature fistwork and expands into many different motions that will be familiar to the advanced practitioner.

You're right though, I wouldn't call these methods 'lien wan kuen' either ;)

LoneTiger108
10-19-2011, 01:59 AM
If you look at the video of Ip Chun doing the Bart Cham Dao you will see a technique which is short technique that is symbolism of chain punch with the swords. But the energy is different since they are swords they are short slicing down motions and or the short stabbing motions.

The methods used in the BJD form are not the same as basic foundation weaponry drills, they are an advanced set giving more distinctive (and dangerous) purpose to the blades themselves.

Just as our signature fistwork is not in the (public!) 108/116 form, this doesn't mean there are no methods to practise this on the wooden man.

Yoshiyahu
10-19-2011, 06:37 PM
The methods used in the BJD form are not the same as basic foundation weaponry drills, they are an advanced set giving more distinctive (and dangerous) purpose to the blades themselves.

Just as our signature fistwork is not in the (public!) 108/116 form, this doesn't mean there are no methods to practise this on the wooden man.

Thanks!

I appreciate you sharing!

anerlich
10-19-2011, 07:13 PM
You're right though, I wouldn't call these methods 'lien wan kuen' either

Great, because I didn't call them that in the first place.

imperialtaichi
10-19-2011, 08:22 PM
In Kulo (22pt), empty handed techniques are basically knife techniques so the chain concept is to strike/cut the opponent as many places as fast as possible and not to just rely on repeating the same movement.

Yoshiyahu
10-19-2011, 08:30 PM
In Kulo (22pt), empty handed techniques are basically knife techniques so the chain concept is to strike/cut the opponent as many places as fast as possible and not to just rely on repeating the same movement.

Nice food for thought!