PDA

View Full Version : help?

frosh2786
03-31-2001, 07:03 AM
i have never been very good at conditioning. i lack the patience/endurace/discipline to do vigorous excersizes. i hate running, i lift weights at home and do crunches, but it doesnt seem to help much in terms of endurance and strenghth...im afraid going into kung fu i wont be able to keep up and i'll make an asss of myself. any suggestions?

fiercest tiger
03-31-2001, 08:04 AM
i have had people from weight lifting to long distance running and they still couldnt hold a horse stance for 10 minutes.

you cannot train yourself in a way, that might be different to your kung fu. you will be using different muscles and different breathing patterns.

hope this helps :D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Budokan
03-31-2001, 08:08 AM
You're right. If you don't keep up you'll make an a$$ of yourself. But since that doesn't seem to be enough motivation, why don't you take a serious look as to why you're in MA in the first place? Maybe you're just burned out right now and need a break from it. Nothing wrong in that.

But if you really want to stick it out, then you'll find the flame somewhere within you and keep it burning. Yes, training is often boring. Yes, it often hurts. Yes, you often don't see any immediate and practical benefit. That's the nature of the beast; that's why so many people drop out after a short time.

Everyone who is anyone in the MA has gone through the same thing. I suggest you simply suck it up and stick with it. In the long run you'll be glad you did. ;)

K. Mark Hoover

joedoe
03-31-2001, 09:41 AM
Don't be worried about making a fool of yourself. Everyone has a hard time when they start kung fu. Everyone who comes back to kung fu after a long break has a hard time.

Don't be so worried about what other people think, and just get in and do it. Eventually the strength and stamina will come. Once you start training, you will find the motivation to train for yourself.

:)

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

frosh2786
04-01-2001, 03:13 AM
thank you very much for all the encouragements!

joedoe
04-01-2001, 03:31 AM
No problems :) Been where you are myself a few times.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Martial Joe
04-01-2001, 05:44 AM
frosh2786

Can you tell me how much you weighed and how much weight you were using on the bench press a month ago and then tell me how much you weigh now and how much weight you are using on the bench press now,please?

frosh2786
04-02-2001, 06:13 AM
i dont weigh mself month to month, i imagine im still somewhere around 140 though. bench press i never really do, im not a big weight guy, im not interested in being buff, i just want to be strong, i use dumbells and do curl and stuff for that, any suggestions?

Martial Joe
04-09-2001, 09:12 PM
I wiegh alil over 140.Iam about 5'7.I am alil chubby and alil buff mixed.You shouldnt be much different if your about my hight.Unless you like 50% fat...

Fu-Pow
04-09-2001, 09:25 PM
You are a big whiner. All the post I ever see you put on here are about I can't do this, I don't want to do this, can I order the tape so I don't have to go to class..on..and on...and on....
I have one simple suggestion for you...
get off your butt and just start doing something.
Talking on this forum is doing "something" about learning martial arts, its not learning martial arts. The biggest part of martial arts is being in good shape. It doesn't take a master to tell you how to run, do pushups or lift weights. Get out there and do it. Come back to this forum when you have something offer other than whining.

Some people say "just do your best" ...I say just do.

Fu-Pow
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee