PDA

View Full Version : Why Was Wing Chun Created?

Yoshiyahu
10-18-2011, 04:13 PM
What is the reason Wing Chun was created?

When Wing Chun was originally devised and created from other styles that currently existed what was the reason for its invention or creation?

Phil Redmond
10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
So that rebel Han fighters could kick some Manchu butt.

Yoshiyahu
10-18-2011, 06:10 PM
So that rebel Han fighters could kick some Manchu butt.

So Wing Chun as a System was developed to kill and fight?

Phil Redmond
10-18-2011, 07:21 PM
So Wing Chun as a System was developed to kill and fight?
No bout adoubt it. :)

k gledhill
10-18-2011, 07:36 PM
If you have any doubts on the totem pole of items I would pull on you if not a gun back in the wild west of China ...watch this clip. Ving Tsun 'Butchers' ..P Bayer likes to intimidate us when he gets ready for knife drills by acting like a butcher sharpening the knife for carving ;)

dont be the pig...move, flank, be evasive and unpredictable. And have a sharp blade...

Knives at work...Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YW8nckzt-Bc)

Lee Chiang Po
10-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Wing Chun had it's beginnings on the Red Boat circuit. They had to deal with bandits and river pirates a lot. They carried lots of goods and valuables with them as well as their equipment and stores, and they had to protect them. Wing Chun is a close combat system that can be applied in small spaces like the entrance and passage ways of a junk. The deck and gang planks as well. You can't do all that jumping around and swinging in such close areas. The pole that was used to push the junk about in shallow water was also used to fight off anyone that would try to board the junk. Much later it was adopted by the armies because it could be taught and retained quickly and efficiently. It is an effective fighting system. My father told me that he learned Wing Chun from ex army guys.

bennyvt
10-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Someone thought "hey I think I should make a style that in four hundred years people from all over the world can argue about what a tan sao is":D

Graham H
10-19-2011, 05:22 AM
My 2 cents...

Nobody knows why or how VT evloved. It's all pure specualtion and myth. What we do know is that it was passed down in small groups and secret societies. Those small groups ended in the time of Bruce Lee and the system has since become one of the most popular systems of Chinese Gung Fu in the world............but the most misunderstood.

The problem with Ving Tsun is the system itself. There are so many facets to the it that if taught incorrectly or misinterpreted by even one person it can change the whole wheel.

Better not to think about the past! Nobody can be sure unless you are a dreamer.

GH

Vajramusti
10-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Who can explain it- who can tell you why
Fools can give reasons, wise men never try.

Oscar Hammerstein- Some enchanted evening - in South Pacific.

Hardwork108
10-19-2011, 08:20 AM

When Wing Chun was originally devised and created from other styles that currently existed what was the reason for its invention or creation?

IMHO, the main reason for WC's creation is no different from that of other kung fu styles in that it is another efficient methodology for combat and self defense.

The other reason for Wing Chun's creation, hundreds of years ago, was to provide the future modern MMA-ists who have nothing better to do with their lives, something to badmouth! ;)

trubblman
10-19-2011, 09:18 AM

The actual origin of VT is probably shrouded in the mists of time.

jesper
10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
WC was created for fighting.

The way we fight was a necessity of living on boats if you believe the opera version, or because south china is heavily populated so big flashy movements are decremental to efficiency when you fight inside big mobs

donbdc
10-19-2011, 12:01 PM
I believe Wing Chun was created b/c they didn't have bowling alleys yet! :D

Don Berry

Yoshiyahu
10-19-2011, 06:45 PM
I believe Wing Chun was created b/c they didn't have bowling alleys yet! :D

Don Berry

Hey Don Long time no hear...how have you been?

donbdc
10-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Doing well Training, Powerlifting and swinging kettlebells Plus raising 2 teenage boys, keeping the wife happy and running a business. Trying to find time to sleep!

Are you watching the Series?

Yoshiyahu
10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Sleep is for the weak!!!!

Doing well Training, Powerlifting and swinging kettlebells Plus raising 2 teenage boys, keeping the wife happy and running a business. Trying to find time to sleep!

Are you watching the Series?

Phil Redmond
10-20-2011, 11:47 AM
If you have any doubts on the totem pole of items I would pull on you if not a gun back in the wild west of China ...watch this clip. Ving Tsun 'Butchers' ..P Bayer likes to intimidate us when he gets ready for knife drills by acting like a butcher sharpening the knife for carving ;)

dont be the pig...move, flank, be evasive and unpredictable. And have a sharp blade...

Knives at work...Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YW8nckzt-Bc)
I have a pair of those and they are scary. I rarely train with them. One mistake and you're sliced really bad. I use one of my other 8 pair of knives to train with. The Cold Steel knives are for home protection only.

trubblman
10-20-2011, 12:03 PM
The Cold Steel knives are for home protection only.

What do you mean that Cold Steel knives are for home protection only, please explain? I was thinking of the Cold Steel knives for my first set. I don't care too much for their other knives but I like the look of the bart jam daos.

GlennR
10-20-2011, 01:49 PM

So that 200 hundred years later men (generally middle aged) could moan, groan and b@#&h at eachother on an internet forum ;)

stonecrusher69
10-20-2011, 07:45 PM

It was created so WC guys in the 21th century would ask this question. Just look at China history its says it all. Every culture fights. No mystery. WC is just a foot note in history.

stonecrusher69
10-20-2011, 07:47 PM
sorry Glen did not see your post...

Phil Redmond
10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
What do you mean that Cold Steel knives are for home protection only, please explain? I was thinking of the Cold Steel knives for my first set. I don't care too much for their other knives but I like the look of the bart jam daos.
That was in jest. What I was saying is that if you make a mistake in the form you can seriously slice yourself. But, if I have the need to defend my life and I had a choice of BJD available to me, I'd use the Cold Steel blades.

Yoshiyahu
10-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Good comments guys!

trubblman
10-24-2011, 10:25 AM
That was in jest. What I was saying is that if you make a mistake in the form you can seriously slice yourself. But, if I have the need to defend my life and I had a choice of BJD available to me, I'd use the Cold Steel blades.

I get it. I was trying to figure out if you were implying that Cold Steel BJD swords are really sharp. If they are as sharp as their other folder knives, I would not be twirling those things.

Yoshiyahu
10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Practice Swords are for practice....

Sharp lethal swords are for killing!

Robinhood
10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
WC was designed as a simple way to develop the wrist, elbow and knee, leaving the main body out of the early development stage. To develop everything at the same time is to complicated for beginners, so only the outside simple pieces are concentrated on.

TenTigers
10-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Wing Chun was developed for women to protect themselves from men.
The elbows in position and yi ji kim yeung ma, knees inward is to protect their breasts and private ares from being groped.:eek:

ok, well that's what I heard one guy say. I have no idea where he got it from, but he was dead serious.
Probably a karotty guy....
Have any of you guys heard this?

hunt1
10-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Wing Chun was created so Nimrods from around the world could adopt a quasi-religious
belief system and argue about which religious leader/sifu knows the correct wing chun and which others are no nothing con-men without ever taking the time to actually think about what garbage is actually being presented as sage combat methods.

Vajramusti
10-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Wing chun was created in order to be immune to attacks by unicorns.

So far it has worked... but you never know about tomorrow!!

k gledhill
10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
The elbows in position and yi ji kim yeung ma, knees inward is to protect their breasts and private ares from being groped.:eek:

ok, well that's what I heard one guy say. I have no idea where he got it from, but he was dead serious.

Reminds me of a girl student of mine, who did wt for a little, she was shown to waddle with knees in ygkym so her groin was safe from kicks...yeah, serious. I will never forget her waddling at me asking me to kick her so she could show the effective use of waddling at your attacker :D:D

Hardwork108
10-24-2011, 05:44 PM
And how are they supposed to protect their butts from being grabbed? :D

I guess the fact that the human body has many vital strike targets on the Central Line, never crossed his mind....LOL

k gledhill
10-24-2011, 06:06 PM
And how are they supposed to protect their butts from being grabbed? :D

I guess the fact that the human body has many vital strike targets on the Central Line, never crossed his mind....LOL

Waddle backwards or alternatively use her double rear anti Italian "hello hands" :D Ciao bella regazza ! squeeze

TenTigers
10-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Dude, you serious? What guy ever tried to fondle a girl's vital points?:rolleyes:

k gledhill
10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Knife : interesting listening to a guy who is explaining 2 sword fighting, not VT knife concepts until the end of the talk...;) simultaneous actions are harder to train but yield better results.
His mentioning when his one arm guard lifting the elbow allowing a rib shot also shows why we use 2 blades to cover our flanks as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCbJHGYI0hI

bennyvt
10-25-2011, 02:34 AM
You should always pay attention to the vital spots.:D That's why they come back:D

Hardwork108
10-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Dude, you serious? What guy ever tried to fondle a girl's vital points?:rolleyes:
Hey, I try it all the time. :D

WhiteTiger666
10-26-2011, 02:36 AM
Wing Chun style was made up by a female nun for women to be able to defeat a man in combat.

I like WC it is a very effective style when learned properly by the right teacher.

Graham H
10-26-2011, 03:31 AM
Wing Chun style was made up by a female nun for women to be able to defeat a man in combat.

..............and GOD made the world in 7 days 6000 years ago! :rolleyes:

GH

lance
10-27-2011, 10:07 PM

Wing Chun was created as a emergency style , at that time the northen shaolin temple was a target of attack by the manchu government . The manchus in turn had their own kung fu experts too , so their skills and the skills of the shaolin monks was a challenge . So the high shaolin monks and the lady monk Ng Mui got together to create a new system which could be taught in a short period of time , but yet concentrate on effiency , and they came up with ideas like centerline theory , simultaneuos defending and attacking , low kicks to jam the kicks of their opponent , and medium high kicks to the strike the middle part of the body area , instead of high kicks , because they felt that if they were to use high kicks in close range they can lose their balance and get killed . And they had to figure out how to make the style fit for a women too . So the use of chi sao or sticking hands was developed so the women , could trap the man ' s hands and the women could just move into the man and destroy him by agressively attacking him with punches and kicks , and to make a long story short whatever the WC system contained is what the high monks and Ng Mui came up with , and the reason why it was called WC was because the meeting hall in the shaolin temple where the monks met to discuss their new fighting system , was called the Wc hall .

This story came out of the the Inside Kung Fu magazine when they were covering WC . along with stories of Ip Man and GM William Cheung , in general .

Graham H
10-28-2011, 02:17 AM
Wing Chun was created as a emergency style , at that time the northen shaolin temple was a target of attack by the manchu government . The manchus in turn had their own kung fu experts too , so their skills and the skills of the shaolin monks was a challenge . So the high shaolin monks and the lady monk Ng Mui got together to create a new system which could be taught in a short period of time , but yet concentrate on effiency , and they came up with ideas like centerline theory , simultaneuos defending and attacking , low kicks to jam the kicks of their opponent , and medium high kicks to the strike the middle part of the body area , instead of high kicks , because they felt that if they were to use high kicks in close range they can lose their balance and get killed . And they had to figure out how to make the style fit for a women too . So the use of chi sao or sticking hands was developed so the women , could trap the man ' s hands and the women could just move into the man and destroy him by agressively attacking him with punches and kicks , and to make a long story short whatever the WC system contained is what the high monks and Ng Mui came up with , and the reason why it was called WC was because the meeting hall in the shaolin temple where the monks met to discuss their new fighting system , was called the Wc hall .

This story came out of the the Inside Kung Fu magazine when they were covering WC . along with stories of Ip Man and GM William Cheung , in general .

The stories of VT being created by a woman for women is false. Anybody with an ounce of common sense will see that. Do you not believe the story that Ip Man invented the story of Ng Mui? The history of Ving Tsun is not known. Factual information does not start until many years after the story of Yim Wing Chun was meant to have happened.

If the stories are true then where are all these women that should be kicking mens butts? Maybe they are in hiding. You give a woman a 10ft pole or a couple of 1kg per piece knives and watch her go..........................nowhere.

Anybody that thinks that chinese martial arts were invented from watching animals fight are stupid. Have you ever seen a snake fight a crane? Give a human some claws, a beak, make them crawl on their bellies and chuck some some wings in then make them fight for their starving chicks then maybe we will be living in the real world.

William Cheung a Grandmaster? Do me a favour!

GH

LoneTiger108
10-28-2011, 03:59 AM
I have always been taught to keep an open mind when looking into the past of our system, and not believe the many men out there that will say anything to discredit the 'little idea' that a female had anything to do with the creation of a Martial Art. Because that's all it is, an idea for us to contemplate. If you want facts we can only start with Ip Man himself, or his generation at least imho. And to be frank, if you know anything about his many female students you may have a different understanding of the system and how it can be taught.

If anyone here has had close contact with a member of the Wing Chun family they would have heard numerous stories about the origins of the system and our connections to Shaolin. People who debunk the studies of our ancestors not only show a lack of respect for their arts past development but I have noticed that generally the people I meet and chat/train with who come with this sort of negativity couldn't learn the more subtle, feminine methods because they simply had so many masculine habits in their training.

So in answer to the question, why was Wing Chun created? I would suggest it was to help promote compassion and the use of both Yin and Yang concepts within the training of Martial Arts in general, as just maybe the centuries of masculine influence within the Shaoilin Temples only contributed to the demise of the Monks health and longevity.

Graham H
10-28-2011, 04:57 AM
I have always been taught to keep an open mind when looking into the past of our system, and not believe the many men out there that will say anything to discredit the 'little idea' that a female had anything to do with the creation of a Martial Art. Because that's all it is, an idea for us to contemplate. If you want facts we can only start with Ip Man himself, or his generation at least imho. And to be frank, if you know anything about his many female students you may have a different understanding of the system and how it can be taught.

If anyone here has had close contact with a member of the Wing Chun family they would have heard numerous stories about the origins of the system and our connections to Shaolin. People who debunk the studies of our ancestors not only show a lack of respect for their arts past development but I have noticed that generally the people I meet and chat/train with who come with this sort of negativity couldn't learn the more subtle, feminine methods because they simply had so many masculine habits in their training.

So in answer to the question, why was Wing Chun created? I would suggest it was to help promote compassion and the use of both Yin and Yang concepts within the training of Martial Arts in general, as just maybe the centuries of masculine influence within the Shaoilin Temples only contributed to the demise of the Monks health and longevity.

You haven't got an open mind Spencer. If you did you would be living in the real world and not in fantasy fu land.

All the people I have met in Wing Chun who can hold their own don't believe in such crazy ideas. In fact everybody who believes in such myths are charlatans who are good salesmen but poor fighters.

Whilst I have no interest in the craziness of WC I was told a story that came from a friend of Yip Man himself. Yip Man used to say the style was invented by a woman in order to humiliate certain factions of Kung Fu that were regulary beaten by the WC clans. I will beleive that story over any talk of a nun witnessing a fight between two animals and inventing a whole system of martial arts.

You talk about masculine and femeine ideas...............I think you are full of sh1t!

I know the feeling is mutual and we both wont lose any sleep over it.

God bless America.

GH

LoneTiger108
10-28-2011, 05:06 AM
You talk about masculine and femeine ideas...............I think you are full of sh1t!

I know the feeling is mutual and we both wont lose any sleep over it.

You see, that's where you are wrong yet again G.

I hold no hard feelings towards you personally at all, I have never met you or even seen you do any Wing Chun! I don't think you're full of sh1t either, just someone who has been unfortunate in their martial journey.

We all learn throughout life dude, and if you can not bring yourself to see the nature of Yum Yeurng within Wing Chun then that's your business. And for the record, I believe I have more of an open mind than you will ever have because I was trained to ;)

Graham H
10-28-2011, 05:26 AM
You see, that's where you are wrong yet again G.

I hold no hard feelings towards you personally at all, I have never met you or even seen you do any Wing Chun! I don't think you're full of sh1t either, just someone who has been unfortunate in their martial journey.

We all learn throughout life dude, and if you can not bring yourself to see the nature of Yum Yeurng within Wing Chun then that's your business. And for the record, I believe I have more of an open mind than you will ever have because I was trained to ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSL2-aHj1lg

....thinking of you! :D

GH

sanjuro_ronin
10-28-2011, 07:32 AM
People "create" a system of H2H combat to meet THEIR needs and IF that system catches on ( other people find that it also meets their needs) it progresses from generation to generation.
It is truly that simple.
WC was created by someone to meet their needs at the time, it worked for others to meet THEIR needs and was passed on over the generation.

Phil Redmond
10-28-2011, 09:45 AM
I get it. I was trying to figure out if you were implying that Cold Steel BJD swords are really sharp. If they are as sharp as their other folder knives, I would not be twirling those things.
Exactly.. :)

k gledhill
10-28-2011, 11:04 AM
People "create" a system of H2H combat to meet THEIR needs and IF that system catches on ( other people find that it also meets their needs) it progresses from generation to generation.
It is truly that simple.
WC was created by someone to meet their needs at the time, it worked for others to meet THEIR needs and was passed on over the generation.

Imo many are doing this because they dont have a coach who has not only finished the system, but more importantly understands its subtle sophisticated concepts.

sanjuro_ronin
10-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Imo many are doing this because they dont have a coach who has not only finished the system, but more importantly understands its subtle sophisticated concepts.

I was speaking of WHY WC was created.
And pretty much ANY system for that fact.
People don't just create a system because they are SO HAPPY with their current one or because their current system is 100% perfect for them and 100% complete.
People don't just create a system for fun, they do it to meet a specific need and that is why WC was created.

trubblman
10-29-2011, 06:24 AM

I don't think that Wing Chun was actually created per se . Rather it probably gradually evolved out of other Chinese martial arts.

wingchunIan
10-29-2011, 07:07 AM
And pretty much ANY system for that fact.
People don't just create a system because they are SO HAPPY with their current one or because their current system is 100% perfect for them and 100% complete.
People don't just create a system for fun, they do it to meet a specific need and that is why WC was created.

Number 1 reason for creating a system - money and its a relatively modern phenomena. Historically systems didn't get created they evolved over generations with stylistic differences appearing due to personal preferences and environmental conditions. Step changes occassionally happened such as Judo, Aikido etc where the evolution was sudden but even then it was an evolution not creation. Way back in time TCMA developed in the same way with different schools and familly systems developing over generations until years later they were so different as to be different styles.

Yoshiyahu
10-29-2011, 06:22 PM
WC was created for fighting.

The way we fight was a necessity of living on boats if you believe the opera version, or because south china is heavily populated so big flashy movements are decremental to efficiency when you fight inside big mobs

This Guy and Phil explain the creation of WC creation,evolution and or expansion the best...

It was created to kick butt, fight and KILL your enemies...It is a system to fight people and kill them.

So in short WC was devised to KILL....

All the rethoric about mytical beginnings are great stories....but NO one really knows for certain. There are atleast three different versions of how WC was created. If it came from Shaolin somewhere over time it changed. Because Shaolin WC looks drastically different to What we in the WEST and Hong Kong.

If you look at Shaolin WC its alot different.

But i am not knocking the myths or stories pass down to the creation of WC....Its just not important for todays time...Only philospers care about it...

The True reason for WC is to fight!