PDA

View Full Version : Ghurka steps in...

B.Tunks
10-19-2011, 04:26 AM
http://www.logiccool.com/blog/591281-lone-nepali-soldier-defends-potential-rape-victim-against-40-men/

Hardwork108
10-19-2011, 05:05 AM
Very inspiring. Thank you for posting.:)

Faruq
12-27-2011, 09:12 AM
I thought Ghurkas were like Punjabis, you know like Sikh warriors. Anyone familiar with Desi culture care to comment?

Vajramusti
12-27-2011, 08:13 PM
I thought Ghurkas were like Punjabis, you know like Sikh warriors. Anyone familiar with Desi culture care to comment?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both Punjabi and Gurkha cultures have martail arts and martial elements. But a true Gurkha warrior from the Gurung or Thappa clans have their own deep discipline and fighting skills and loyalty to their commitments. I have had two different Gurungs instructing me on the kukhri.
The British divided the regiments with India in 1947 but kept on recruiting Gurkhas..they did not do the same with the Sikhs.

viper
12-27-2011, 11:02 PM
One man army.

Faruq
12-28-2011, 09:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both Punjabi and Gurkha cultures have martail arts and martial elements. But a true Gurkha warrior from the Gurung or Thappa clans have their own deep discipline and fighting skills and loyalty to their commitments. I have had two different Gurungs instructing me on the kukhri.
The British divided the regiments with India in 1947 but kept on recruiting Gurkhas..they did not do the same with the Sikhs.

So then the Gurkhas aren't Sikh, hunh Joy? Are the Gurkhas then Desi or Nepalese?

Vajramusti
12-28-2011, 06:25 PM
So then the Gurkhas aren't Sikh, hunh Joy? Are the Gurkhas then Desi or Nepalese?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Faruq-

The best Gurkhas are from Western Nepal. When recruitment was slow they recruited Nepalese from eastern Nepal. Apart from their famed knife usage they easily adapt to modern hand weaponry. The average Gurkha is much shorter than the average Sikh. Very friendly people until
action is required. With their balanced feet, hands, footwork and courage- the size of the adversary
does not unsettle them.
The Brits treated them unfairly after they did not need as many because of the shrinking of the empire including giving up Hong Kong.. But they are part of the British contribution to Nato.
They are careful about taking a pledge- but then they are 100% devoted to duty. The Brits used them against the Sikhs in the Sikh wars, they were in the front lines of Brit/Argentine falkland island war.They were in the front lines of the Brit armies in WW2 in Africa and SE Asia.
Some are Desi these days because of Gurkha migrants in W. Bengal around Darjeeling.

joy

Faruq
12-29-2011, 09:08 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------
Faruq-

The best Gurkhas are from Western Nepal. When recruitment was slow they recruited Nepalese from eastern Nepal. Apart from their famed knife usage they easily adapt to modern hand weaponry. The average Gurkha is much shorter than the average Sikh. Very friendly people until
action is required. With their balanced feet, hands, footwork and courage- the size of the adversary
does not unsettle them.
The Brits treated them unfairly after they did not need as many because of the shrinking of the empire including giving up Hong Kong.. But they are part of the British contribution to Nato.
They are careful about taking a pledge- but then they are 100% devoted to duty. The Brits used them against the Sikhs in the Sikh wars, they were in the front lines of Brit/Argentine falkland island war.They were in the front lines of the Brit armies in WW2 in Africa and SE Asia.
Some are Desi these days because of Gurkha migrants in W. Bengal around Darjeeling.

joy

You're a wise man, Joy. I had never heard a clear designation before as to whether the Nepalese were Desi or not, but you have cleared that up for me with this post, as well as giving an incredible background on the Gurkha people.

Thanks Much For Sharing The Knowledge