PDA

View Full Version : Reduce appetite

04-04-2001, 04:18 PM
In the low carb & caffeine topic, Robin mentioned that people usually eat a lot more than the recommended servings of things. The example she gave was that one serving of rice or noodles should be a half cup, not a whole bowl.

I need to lose weight, but I could probably eat a half cup in two bites. Please give me suggestions for appetite reduction.

Are there foods that are more satisfying and are relatively "safe" for weight/health? (I know fruit juice is the opposite, so you don't need to tell me that one.)

Also, are there any natural appetite suppresants? (Besides smoking :D )

Thanks!

Robinf
04-04-2001, 05:39 PM
I don't know about suppressants. I'm fortunate in that I was able to change the way I think about food--that it's fuel like gasoline. Even when I go out to eat--I look at my entree as two meals, and take the other half home for the next lunch.

The less you eat, the more your body will get used to not eating and the hunger pains will subside. This is NOT an easy process. It takes mind power and changing the way you think about food.

You mentioned that you would eat that half cup of rice or noodles in two bites. That's another key. Eat slower, smaller bites and really taste the food. I've found bulk items like rice and pasta filling, but meat is also filling (usually chicken, turkey, or fish--salmon, I feel, is the most filling of any fish I eat). Also, try using smaller plates or bowls. That might be enough to trick your mind into seeing more.

Be certain you know how many calories your body needs in a day to maintain whatever weight you want to be. This can be figured out by a nutritionist or your own doctor. If you want to got the nutritionist route, a good place to look is the American Dietetic Assocation's site http://www.eatright.org At least they're licensed so there's some control over what knowledge they have to have.

I will tell you that I lost 55 pounds and have kept it off for 7 years now. I lost the weight simply by changing the way I eat and what I eat and by going out for at least one hour walks.

The eating plan that works for me, beside ADA recommendations, is eating what I would have for lunch at breakfast, eating what I would have for dinner at lunch, and eating breakfast at dinner time. Snacks are whole fruits and veggies (I'm on a salad kick, 2 grams of fat dressing, and I stay away from juices), light yogurt (calcium and vitamin D), and nuts (everything in my diet is lowfat, so I had to add in nuts for fat). Tons of water. Crystal light adds some flavor to plain water when I'm not in the mood for just water.

I've been eating like this for a year and a half and am quite happy--much happier than any other plan I tried.

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

04-04-2001, 06:36 PM
Thanks! That's quite an encouraging and comprehensive reply. I can use a lot of those ideas. Any more tips?

joedoe
04-05-2001, 01:20 AM
I've also found that chewing your food more helps. It means you digest your food better and it draws out how long it takes you to eat. This means that you brain has time to register that the stomach is full. Which brings me to another point.

If you finish your meal and still feel hungry, wait 10 minutes then see if you are still hungry.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Robinf
04-05-2001, 03:08 PM
Gum. Annoying, but it gives your mouth something to do. I found that some of my eating was done because of boredom, but gum seems to stave that off for my mouth--then I just have to occupy my hands/mind. I chew sugarless because it's better for the teeth and the flavor lasts longer.

Hard candy can help with those empty hunger pains in between meals and snacks. Again, it gives the mouth something to do, and tricks your mind/stomach into believing you've eaten something.

Take the stairs. At work, in malls, don't use the elevator or escalators, start hiking those stairs. I work on the 6th floor, and my cardio in my martial arts workouts has actually improved.

I'll try to think of more.

Robin

SevenStar
04-05-2001, 08:50 PM
water - the best no calorie drink in all the world. have a few cups while/before eating, and you will get full faster. Also, I have heard that it takes 21 days for something to become a habit. I dunno if this can apply to food, but if it can, the after three weeks of drinking more water with your meals, you should be used to eating less and have no problem controlling your appetite.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

joedoe
04-06-2001, 10:13 AM
Actually, I was told not to drink too much water while eating because it dilutes the stomach acid and then you don't digest properly. Plenty of water about 10 minutes before helps though.

BIU JI
04-06-2001, 05:01 PM
What are the thoughts on protein drinks to help in training? I used one before and I feel it helped with general energy levels after training and helped somewhat with muscle building but haven't used for a while now . Though Ive heard some stories about they don't really work . At the time I first purchased it I described that I wasn't weight lifting but was more athletic with kung fu so the guy suggested a mix protein/carbo formula.

If anyone can give some advise on this it would be appreciated.
PEACE

ope
04-06-2001, 10:32 PM
i fill up on fruits before or after i have a meal to help fill me up...

SevenStar
04-07-2001, 02:43 AM
They can aid greatly with weight training. And you have heard partially right about them not wroking. Some of them pack more fat on your your frame than muscle. You have to check the ingredients and be sure to get a good brand. And some if the premixed stuf I.E. slimfast may not be as beneficial, as the protein in it dilutes over time while in liquid form. (There is a more scientific explanation about the proteins in the pre mixed stuff breaking down, but this is just a quick post.)

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

SevenStar
04-07-2001, 02:58 AM
I agree, but the key is moderation. Moderate amounts of water with meals have no harmful effects. Soups, milk, beverages like tea and coffee and most of our so-called solid foods like cucumber, tomatoes and fruits like melons contain large amounts of water. No one has ever claimed that these should not be taken with meals.

joedoe
04-07-2001, 10:08 AM
Sounds fair. :)

Don't forge that in fruits and vegetables like cucumber and watermelon there are often enzymes in the food itself that aid in digestion.

But water in moderation during the meal should be OK.

BIU JI
04-07-2001, 11:32 AM
From what I've read from taoist health books you need to look also at food combinations . Some fruits don't work well together, not to consume foods indiscriminately.Just piling on good foods in any order doesn't help either.

joedoe
04-07-2001, 02:26 PM
Biu Ji,

Yeah, I read that somewhere too. Also there is the seasonal factor - only eat fruits and vegetables that should be in season. You also should eat foods according to whether you need heating or cooling foods. Never tried it but it is interesting.

premier
04-08-2001, 01:18 AM
It said that fasting (the juice fast) reduces the appetite a lot.

However. the article also said that fasting might trigger latent diseases like Diabetes.

Go figure.

BIU JI
04-08-2001, 02:10 AM
I've never heard that but could be true I guess.
I haven't done a true fast before though I did one similar to the yearly muslim(?) fast of not eating during the day and only at night. despite obviously being famished at night I did feel a cleansing affect from it and would like at some point to do it again though you need to have plenty of rest and not be going to work or such.

A doctor told me a few years ago a theory about many years ago when humans still lived in small vilages as such (some still do) and lived more by the seasons as you said Abandit. At this time we had a natural fasting cycle due to times of less food so the body tended to be cleaned more naturally but now we have high quality food year round and don't give ourselves that opportunity.So we tend to clog our bodies with to many toxin etc, **** I'm scaring myself now think I'll leave it there.

joedoe
04-08-2001, 02:49 AM
Fasting will always reduce appetite because it allows your stomach to shrink. It is pretty drastic though and can cause a 'healing crisis' as the body suddenly eliminates all the builtup toxins.

The best way is to reduce your intake slowly. Just eat a little less for a few days, then when you are used to that reduce it a little more until you are happy with the amount you are eating.

04-08-2001, 09:17 AM
Thank you to all for your advice and information!

SevenStar
04-08-2001, 08:49 PM
I think you were referring to ramadan(sp?), which is a time where the muslins fast during the day and only eat after sundown.

bearpaw
04-09-2001, 09:12 AM
I've started the CROn diet and it works really well. You can look in to it at http://www.walford.com

BIU JI
04-09-2001, 01:55 PM
that could be it , I don't know the name only there are several people at work who have done this , Also a few guys who are from Banglidesh that have done the same.
A bandit , I ought to start another thread as I wasn't refering particularly to reducing appetite only on cleansing the body, an off topic I realise.
Next time I'll know my place, lol.

fei_jai
04-09-2001, 03:43 PM
I thought that, ideally, you'd want your metabolism to increase, by more exercise, and healthier food. Food which the body doesn't store (ie, fat).

Increased metabolism means the body burns the energy in the food that you eat more readily, thus less of it to store.

By eating less, doesn't your metabolism slow down, because of the less intake of food, the body slows the metabolism, as in, saving energy for later. ??

When you feel hungry, it means the the body needs more food. The body has to feel right, and that means not continually hungry, even if it is only a transitional state.

Anyways, I didn't think it mattered how much you eat, as long as you eat right, and exercise regulary. Also, breakfast should be the largest meal of the day, with dinner being a light snack. Reason being that what you eat during the morning, you'll burn off during the day, and not store during inactivity like sleeping.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts on the subject. I, in no way, claim to be a nutritional expert. I need to change my diet, but I just love my meat too much.

Oh, yeah, the thinest people I know tend to be the biggest eaters too.

Robinf
04-09-2001, 08:54 PM
I know some really thin folks who eat a lot, too. Then, I know more obese folks who also eat a lot. Genetics has a lot to do with it.

For those who are kind of an average human being, watching caloric intake is the proven way to lose weight or maintain weight loss or weight gain.

The tricking the metabolism thing by eating more often... I don't think there have been too many studies. Calories is the tried way. I need more evidence for the other. I tried eating more often during the day. Didn't work. I eat 3 typical meals then snack throughout the day--apples, nuts, grapefruit, salads, yogurt, etc.

Ultimately, different things will work for different people. But, if you're desired result is to eat less, then you have to eat less.

Robin

joedoe
04-10-2001, 01:56 AM
I agree - I know so many skinny people who eat like crazy. But then again, I'm a fat ******* and I eat like crazy too :)

I am currently doing the Liver Cleansing Diet. Worked wonders so far. I feel so much better, my asthma has improved, and I have lost almost 15lbs. Calorie counting helps, but I am not sure that it is all there is to it. I think just eating sensibly and eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables is the key.

Having said that, not all diets work for everyone, so really you have to find what works for you :)

Robinf
04-10-2001, 03:14 PM
There's one more tip I forgot to post, and it's a big one:

READ LABELS

Don't just buy the food, but read what you're getting and get the stuff that has the most good to it. Don't waste your money on food that won't do much for your body but tease your brain into thinking your full.

Robin

BIU JI
04-10-2001, 03:46 PM
Your asthma has improved?! Is that a good thing haha.

joedoe
04-11-2001, 06:00 AM
Biu Ji,

Yes, it has improved as in gotten better. I am using less of my medication (ventolin) now because I find I don't need it.

BIU JI
04-11-2001, 02:13 PM
What's sets off your asthma usually?

joedoe
04-11-2001, 03:49 PM
Dust mite, grass, cats, cigarette smoke. It looks like dairy foods have a big effect too as I have completely cut them out and I feel so much better.

Sevan
04-16-2001, 05:54 AM
Hey,
a quick question...
Does anyone know of a chart, or whatnot, that lists the average calorie need of a person?

Thanks

Robinf
04-16-2001, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't go by charts. Ask your doctor to help you tailor your caloric needs to your body and your activity levels.

Robin

chongnoi
04-16-2001, 02:58 PM
Try filling up on water carbs. What this means is if you try and starve your self you will later gorge and also will be unhappy. So eat a healthy diet, just fill up on vegetables! So you still have a large plate to eat from-but instead of unhealthy food-it is say for example-A chicken breast, some steamed brocolli, and sliced cucumber, cooked mushrooms and green peppers. This way you are getting filled up with not a lot of calories-plus you are eating healthy food rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber!!! For snacks-eat raw carrots, maybe a few almonds or walnuts. Have piece of fruit per day-only one_say an orange, pear or apple. Eat 4-5 meals a day. Be sure to eat plenty of lean meat so you will not loose muscle mass. As for carbs, stay away from any white carb (white bread, pasta, white rice) eat instead whole grain bread or brown rice and only have one serving per day. Be sure to try and have one piece of red meat per day also-high in iron. A egg or two per day is also good-complete protien source!! Just stay away from the sugars, junk food, processed food, sodas, beer, and then you will loose a lot of weight and feel really healthy.

8 Sweaty Palms
04-21-2001, 04:01 AM
A lot of interesting suggestions here.

What affects my appetite seems to be my overall level of activity. I'm a very relaxed person, but extremely busy most of the time.

During weeks when I am working often, as well as training often, and have little free time - the portions of food I eat are considerably smaller than usual. I can't really explain it, but that's how it is for me personally.

Also, during weeks of hard training, I'm more attentive about how much I eat because I want to protect my physical investment in training (don't want to screw it up).

8SP