PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

mooyingmantis
10-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Is it really worth put our students through this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6yL0NZImS0&feature=related

Frost
10-22-2011, 03:36 PM
umm what exactly is your point?

those are all professional fighters getting paid to do a job, not average students you might as well post what happened to prince nazeem or amir khan and then say is boxing worth it for the average person , or some nice K1 knockouts, like when remi bonzaski was head stamped in a fight and rhen say is kickboxing worth it.......

Ben Gash
10-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Is soccer worth it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3sgMOocPx4&feature=related
Indeed, are any professional sports worth it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiyw5Btt9Mg&feature=related

mooyingmantis
10-23-2011, 07:33 AM
umm what exactly is your point?

those are all professional fighters getting paid to do a job, not average students you might as well post what happened to prince nazeem or amir khan and then say is boxing worth it for the average person , or some nice K1 knockouts, like when remi bonzaski was head stamped in a fight and rhen say is kickboxing worth it.......

My point is that this can happen any day, in any school, professional or non. Any place where winning is the most important thing, no virtues needed. It would be interesting to have a record of how many injuries were received each year in MA schools.

My point is not to diss MMA. But I think peeps should really consider whether they want to encourage their kids, brothers/sisters, friends, etc. to engage in a school that promotes the type of lack of control shown in the above video.

And yes, this can be any sport. It is like the high school coach that teaches his players how to cheat to cause injuries and take out players of another team.

You may say, "But it is their choice!" Yet few peeps really understand the lifelong disabilities that can come from this type of training.

Frost
10-23-2011, 07:38 AM
My point is that this can happen any day, in any school, professional or non. Any place where winning is the most important thing, no virtues needed. It would be interesting to have a record of how many injuries were received each year in MA schools.

My point is not to diss MMA. But I think peeps should really consider whether they want to encourage their kids, brothers/sisters, friends, etc. to engage in a school that promotes the type of lack of control shown in the above video.

And yes, this can be any sport. It is like the high school coach that teaches his players how to cheat to cause injuries and take out players of another team.

You may say, "But it is their choice!" Yet few peeps really understand the lifelong disabilities that can come from this type of training.

No its not like a coach teaching their guys to cheat, these fighters competed under the rules and played within them in those events, so again whats your point?

do you spar in your club, do your guys compete in full contact events ?

if so what venue because i bet i can find clips of sanda guys getting just as injured hurt,

Posting a few clips of early MMA events which are totally different that what you see today to make a point you dont seem to have thought out i really dont get it :confused:

MMA is a full contact event were injuries can happen...news flash the same can happen in ANY contact sport including kung fu...assuming you spar and compete, if you dont then well................

Robinhood
10-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Worth it to who?, I think the promoters and leaches think it is worth it because they are making money off these guys trying to mangle each other in a sport they are trying to promote as a martial art, but is more like the stronger beating the weaker with very little Art involved in the outcome. More to do with physical training and luck.

Ben Gash
10-23-2011, 11:28 AM
So you guys train/teach martial arts, and are horrified by the realities of blunt force trauma? Really??????? What about the realities of biting and eye gouging? They'll really traumatise you :rolleyes:
I should point out I've seen injuries just as bad but much more frequently in semi contact competitions.

mooyingmantis
10-23-2011, 12:42 PM
So you guys train/teach martial arts, and are horrified by the realities of blunt force trauma?

For sport, yes.

For the street, not at all. I would expect such things in a street fight.

I should point out I've seen injuries just as bad but much more frequently in semi contact competitions.

Very sad, they must have had ****ty judges.

Worth it to who?, I think the promoters and leaches think it is worth it because they are making money of these guys trying to mangle each other in a sport they are trying to promote as a martial art, but is more like the stronger beating the weaker with very little Art involved in the outcome. More to do with physical training and luck.

In my opinion the fighter's instructor/coach and the fight promoters are the only ones who win. The money just isn't there for the fighter.

YouKnowWho
10-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Is it really worth put our students through this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6yL0NZImS0&feature=related

I wonder if they used boxing gloves instead of MMA gloves, they might not have this much injury. If they used head gear, the injury could be even less. People may say that head gear and boxing gloves may not be macho enough. IMO, to get injury and not be able to continue your training is not good at all.

Iron_Eagle_76
10-23-2011, 03:11 PM
I wonder if they used boxing gloves instead of MMA gloves, they migh not have this much injury. If they used head gear, the injury could be even less. People may say that head gear and boxing gloves may not be macho enough. IMO, to get injury and not be able to continue your training is not good at all.

I can tell you there are many more concussions and deaths from football(american) than amateur boxing, which uses head gear and 12oz boxing gloves. But with MMA it is impossible to use boxing gloves due to the grappling aspect. Honestly, yes, there is a dark side to MMA and combat sports but the reality is it is a combat sport with many risks. If you don't like it, don't compete in it, and of course ironically enough, most who bit**ch the most don't.

Frost
10-24-2011, 12:05 AM
so i take it its much more ethical to teach your students forms and deadly 1 step applications and then tell them on the street they will be ok? at least the sports guys know what it feels like to get hit :rolleyes:

the whole thread reads like a fantasy chinese novel, teaches making students compete, schools not being moral and simply in it for the money, these fights dont show skill just the bigger stronger person winning, so on and so on....

Jesus its the 21st century guess what strength and conditioning is important, people have free will and arent made to do things by their all powerful coach, martial arts is a tough sport and injuries happen, and if you need to go to a sifu or MMA coach to learn values and virtue you are in trouble to begin with

As for the whole injury business I can only speak for my MMA gym, but we have had 1 serious injury in the last 10 years, we have had a few people choked out a few sprains and hyper extensions, but only 1 serious injury and that was because an assistant coach was not paying attention during sparring (he is no longer a coach at the gym)

And before anyone says oh yes but this isnt a proper MMA gym.....this is at a club that has had 8 guys appear in the ultimate fighter, one guy fight in pride, several fight in the UFC and other american pro events not to mention guys with nemerous british and european MMA and grappling titles

sanjuro_ronin
10-24-2011, 06:09 AM
IF you are a MA and IF you want to develop you MA skill to the highest level possible then YES, some type of intense full contact training AND fighting is worth it.
For the hobbyist, no.

Chadderz
10-24-2011, 05:21 PM
MMA is statistically one of the safest combat sports in terms of serious injury.

Also to FROST:

WTH school do you go to man? It sounds awesome!!!