PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on Villari's

Gatekeeper
11-01-2001, 02:03 AM
Please give me your opinions of Fred Villari's flavor of kempo karate. BE BRUTALLY HONEST! I have trained in this style for 10+ years. The time has come for me to decide if I want to stick with it or move on to something else. Lemme have it!

The Gatekeeper

Johnny Hot Shot
11-01-2001, 02:45 AM
Brother I feel your pain.
they style if great, beautiful and effective.
It's just the Coporate BS and management not tomention that the whole system has been corrupted by greed. In everything from the sales of suppplies to the way it is taught, all tainted by greed.

I'm sorry but you should move on or start your own school.

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Gatekeeper
11-01-2001, 05:27 AM
NO DOUBT! Is USSD the same? There was a rumor floating around that they may come to Madison, WI.
My own school...HMMM...I don't think I'm ready for that. Interesting thought though.
The Gatekeeper

FeloniousMonk
11-01-2001, 05:37 AM
he said all that needed to be said, I say move on. just ask yourself if your done learning. are you happy with what you know, or do you want to learn more? Me, I'll never teach(unless I have kids,then I'll teach them) I never want to stop learning!
With 10 yrs experience, it will most likely easier to learn another style fast(than again it may not be)

Keep on learning until your over flowing with knowledge......I hope things work out for you. ;)

The unbeatable Felonious Monk

joedoe
11-01-2001, 05:39 AM
Teaching does not mean an end to learning. In fact, it means a whole new world of learning that you wouldn't otherwise get.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

rogue
11-01-2001, 05:48 AM
I trained there in it's hey day. As much as I diss it, I did learn one of my favorite and usefull techniques there.

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' Patton

Gatekeeper
11-01-2001, 06:19 AM
Rogue, What was your favorite technique? If I may ask.

The Gatekeeper

Watchman
11-01-2001, 06:29 AM
Sidekicking Wing Chun guys in the ribs. :eek:

rogue
11-01-2001, 06:34 AM
I hate to admit it, but it comes from the crane techniques. Basically it's a combination trip and clothesline while pivoting.

Watchman, they caught on to that magic a couple of weeks back. :(

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban

There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' Patton

WongFeHung
11-01-2001, 08:11 AM
I taught for them over 17 yrs ago, -yeah, I did some things I'm not proud of. Move on, trust me, once you learn real gung-fu, you'll be kickin yerself fer years

Johnny Hot Shot
11-01-2001, 08:21 AM
Matera and Damasco were students/instructors of villari they took his idea of franchised McDojos and headed for the coasts. Damasco on the east and Matera on the west.
I'm not sure of how many schools are on the east coast but there are over 140 USSD McDojo's in Southern California. It just makes me want to puke.
The system of kenpo that they teach is actually From Nick Cerio but has been totally waterd down and corpratized.

Fu(K I could go off but it's just wasted energy.

I'm sorry brother but it time to move on. You'll find a better school with out question.

You will be better off in the long run and after 10 years of traning it's easy enough to pick up another style, well easier.

Jacko Jackson

Gatekeeper
11-01-2001, 08:48 AM
Thanks. I'm movin' on. I can say that I learned alot there, but there's just a weird feeling that something is missing. I can tell (in a sixth sense sort of way) that there's something better for me. I just wanted you guys to kick me in the head a couple times to give me the push. *SIGH* Now the search begins. On my "journey of a thousand miles", am I going to need to take that first step all over again! :confused:

The Gatekeeper

WongFeHung
11-01-2001, 08:49 AM
it might not be so easy. I have had many mcdojo students try to learn Hung-Ga, but they were too ingrained in their previous lack of training-no stances, sloppy form, no structure, and they cried during horse stance training

Gatekeeper
11-01-2001, 08:53 AM
ahh... I'm not looking for an EASY way. That'll get me nowhere. ;)

The Gatekeeper

Johnny Hot Shot
11-01-2001, 09:40 AM
You sound like me six months ago, searching.

The search can be enlightening.

One thing I learned is that there are some that will sell you anything and call it something but it's still just anything. (Whoa) where the Hell did that come from?? anyway I ment that there are a ton of mediocre schools out there a few very good schools, some don't even advertise. The internet is a great resource for finding schools. Good luck.

Jacko Jackson

Johnny Hot Shot
11-01-2001, 09:45 AM
Have you heard of Sifu Richard Cunningham?
He's in LA and San Diego.

Jacko Jackson

firepalm
11-01-2001, 07:59 PM
USSD/Villari, one of the TRUE Greats right up there with the other top martial artists of the entire universe like Simon of Temple Kung Fu & Al Tracey. Super fanastic, look no where else... these guys are like the "Ten Tigers" of the modern day...

WongFeHung
11-02-2001, 06:08 AM
HEY,HEY, HEY! I resemble that remark!!!

shaolin monkey3
08-18-2006, 07:22 PM
NO DOUBT! Is USSD the same? There was a rumor floating around that they may come to Madison, WI.
My own school...HMMM...I don't think I'm ready for that. Interesting thought though.
The Gatekeeper

The closest one to you is chicago.
If you dont like your school and want to train their a word to the wise.
Most ussd's schools are run by red belts and 1st and 2nd black belts.

rogue
08-18-2006, 07:34 PM
How did you find this thread and why did you bring it back?:D

TenTigers
08-18-2006, 07:41 PM
why is this even on a Kung-Fu forum?
ahhh...wait a minute...I'm beginning to see a pattern here....wait...
YES! Because Steve DeMasco teamed up with Ng Tak Wah, Paul Koh was with Ng Tak Wah, so it's like twodegrees of separation! It's a conspiracy! It's like the DaVinci Code! If you play the General's mandate (Wong Fei-Hung theme) backwards, while watching The Last Dragon, you will see that the moment that guy gets hit in the face with the pizza dough, they are singing the words describing the secret Crane Technique, Daniel-san! If done correctly, no can defend!

WanderingMonk
08-19-2006, 07:05 AM
YES! Because Steve DeMasco teamed up with Ng Tak Wah, Paul Koh was with Ng Tak Wah, so it's like twodegrees of separation! It's a conspiracy! It's like the DaVinci Code! If you play the General's mandate (Wong Fei-Hung theme) backwards, while watching The Last Dragon, you will see that the moment that guy gets hit in the face with the pizza dough, they are singing the words describing the secret Crane Technique, Daniel-san! If done correctly, no can defend!

OMG! You have expose the super-duper secret. You know what will happen next. The secret tong society will be sending ninjas after your behind.

sk girl
05-01-2007, 08:12 PM
USSD/Villari, one of the TRUE Greats right up there with the other top martial artists of the entire universe like Simon of Temple Kung Fu & Al Tracey. Super fanastic, look no where else... these guys are like the "Ten Tigers" of the modern day...

mattera is about as great as a dead frog.

SenseiShellie
05-01-2007, 08:17 PM

Steve DeMasco and USSD no longer have ties to Tak Wah Eng. USSD did something to destroy that relationship with him. That doesn't surprise me though. How about, this is in a forum because USSD THINKS they teach Kung Fu when it's really *******ized Kempo?

sk girl
05-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Steve DeMasco and USSD no longer have ties to Tak Wah Eng. USSD did something to destroy that relationship with him. That doesn't surprise me though. How about, this is in a forum because USSD THINKS they teach Kung Fu when it's really *******ized Kempo?

Yeah wheres the shaolin kungfu in villaris/ussd shaolin kempo art?

rogue
05-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Oh my God, it's back again.:eek:

splinter
05-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Oh my God, it's back again.:eek:

Does it bother you that something you wrote almost 6 years ago, and probably forgot that you'd written just popped up again?

Welcome to the new world, where it's not just your girlfriend/wife that conveniently remembers everything that you've ever said when it's useful to her, but the entire world can do it too.

I only recognize three names on this thread, and I've been lurking for a LONG time.

Shaolinlueb
05-02-2007, 09:57 AM
i saw a picture of him a couple years ago. he looks like an alchohalic.

SenseiShellie
05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
i saw a picture of him a couple years ago. he looks like an alchohalic.

LOL! You should see some of the other masters...
:rolleyes:

Shaolinlueb
05-02-2007, 07:47 PM

this is getting better as we speak. :)

xcakid
05-02-2007, 09:59 PM

A buddy of mine had a pic of Villari, Mattera, DeMasco, Taylor and other sitting at a table during a Villari seminar. Mattera always denies his involvement in the Villari system.

I called my buddy up about a month ago, but he said he can't find the pic anymore. :( Would've been interesting to post it here.

sk girl
05-17-2007, 12:30 PM
If you could get that pic, I would mail it to every school just for fun.

sk girl
05-17-2007, 12:33 PM

I know! There all fat masters.

That should be the new ussd theme song.

ninja matt
05-29-2007, 02:03 PM
mattera is about as great as a dead frog.

HAHA !!!!!

ninja matt
05-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Please give me your opinions of Fred Villari's flavor of kempo karate. BE BRUTALLY HONEST! I have trained in this style for 10+ years. The time has come for me to decide if I want to stick with it or move on to something else. Lemme have it!

The Gatekeeper

Move on to some real shaolin gung fu.

ninja matt
05-29-2007, 02:08 PM
OMG! You have expose the super-duper secret. You know what will happen next. The secret tong society will be sending ninjas after your behind.

Actually Charles Mattera ussd will send people to your school if you are making to much money and keeping them from making money or you broke away from them.

I would call them thugs not ninjas.

ninja matt
05-29-2007, 02:17 PM

Gee what is this the 3rd Grandmaster ussd and Charles Mattera have screwed over:confused: ???

First screwing over Grandmaster Fred Villari in 1988 stealing 30 Villari schools when he was out here in california BEING PAID TO OPEN FRED VILLARI STUDIOS OF SELF DEFENSE NOT CHARLES MATTERA'S USSD.
Then in 93 charles mattera ranking himself to 9th degree and probabley stealing money from Grandmaster Cerio(that was the rumor I heard).
And in 2000 Grandmaster Tak Wah Eng brings Mattera's shaolin joke schools to the shaolin temple where they screw another Grandmaster out of money.

SenseiShellie
05-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Gee what is this the 3rd Grandmaster ussd and Charles Mattera have screwed over:confused: ???

First screwing over Grandmaster Fred Villari in 1988 stealing 30 Villari schools when he was out here in california BEING PAID TO OPEN FRED VILLARI STUDIOS OF SELF DEFENSE NOT CHARLES MATTERA'S USSD.
Then in 93 charles mattera ranking himself to 9th degree and probabley stealing money from Grandmaster Cerio(that was the rumor I heard).
And in 2000 Grandmaster Tak Wah Eng brings Mattera's shaolin joke schools to the shaolin temple where they screw another Grandmaster out of money.

I think with Master Tak it has a lot to do more with the lack of respect than money...he's not about the money.

TenTigers
05-29-2007, 06:57 PM
I still have the pamphlets for franchises that show Mattera with Villari and Bagley at the table

SenseiShellie
05-29-2007, 11:59 PM
I still have the pamphlets for franchises that show Mattera with Villari and Bagley at the table

Wow! That's a collector's item...or not.

xcakid
05-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Actually Charles Mattera ussd will send people to your school if you are making to much money and keeping them from making money or you broke away from them.

That's how my buddy won his harrassament suit with Mattera and USSD. USSD would have the DM and Asst DM/various other black belts, go over his school after he broke off. First they would just sit back watch a class and laugh, make comments. Then it moved on to talking with the parents and handing out "free lesson" cards. Then the final straw was them showing up to his adult class and heckling him while he was teaching or challenging him when they were asked to leave. He finally set up a camera in the back of the class. Once he got the footage he wanted, and students/parents willing to sign witness statements, he sued USSD and Mattera for harrassment and won. Sadly USSD had more money than he did. They set up 2 schools within a stones throw from his school. Took out full page yellow page ads and hired ad companies to blanket the area with fliers including his schools parking lot. Eventually, after a couple of years, he had to close shop due to lack of students. He was never that great at sales and marketing. He couldn't replace or add enough students to make a good living.

ninja matt
05-30-2007, 10:53 AM
That's how my buddy won his harrassament suit with Mattera and USSD. USSD would have the DM and Asst DM/various other black belts, go over his school after he broke off. First they would just sit back watch a class and laugh, make comments. Then it moved on to talking with the parents and handing out "free lesson" cards. Then the final straw was them showing up to his adult class and heckling him while he was teaching or challenging him when they were asked to leave. He finally set up a camera in the back of the class. Once he got the footage he wanted, and students/parents willing to sign witness statements, he sued USSD and Mattera for harrassment and won. Sadly USSD had more money than he did. They set up 2 schools within a stones throw from his school. Took out full page yellow page ads and hired ad companies to blanket the area with fliers including his schools parking lot. Eventually, after a couple of years, he had to close shop due to lack of students. He was never that great at sales and marketing. He couldn't replace or add enough students to make a good living.

That SUCKS!

Was this Matt thomas school?

How much did he win?

sk girl
06-01-2007, 11:03 AM

Yes they brag about this in the friday meetings.
They call them break aways. But they are break aways too!! They left fred villaris. There fred villari break aways!!
They've harrased people in cali , vegas and probabley every area they've been.

Hyprocritical bas#$%^

sanjuro_ronin
06-01-2007, 11:10 AM
I find their lack of chi quite disturbing.

SenseiShellie
06-01-2007, 02:00 PM
But they think they have lots of it...hmmmm...ever see a Villari guy do a Tai Chi form?

cjurakpt
06-01-2007, 02:58 PM
But they think they have lots of it...hmmmm...ever see a Villari guy do a Tai Chi form?

I think that is actually described somewhere in Revelations as one of the Seven Signs of the Apocalypse...

SenseiShellie
06-01-2007, 03:35 PM
I think that is actually described somewhere in Revelations as one of the Seven Signs of the Apocalypse...

LOL! I think you might be right...i must go look it up

ninja matt
06-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Yes they brag about this in the friday meetings.
They call them break aways. But they are break aways too!! They left fred villaris. There fred villari break aways!!
They've harrased people in cali , vegas and probabley every area they've been.

Hyprocritical bas#$%^

Fuc$#@
Prison is where ussd belongs!

chivalrous hall
06-03-2007, 04:04 AM
i lived most of my life in a city that had many Villari studios. if your looking for some proper body mechanics and some deeper stuff i would say move on. on the other hand if you just wanna work out with kicks and punches(movement only) then i would say stay. it all depends where ur at and what ur after?

cheers,

chivalrous hall
06-03-2007, 04:22 AM
read some posts bout mattera, villari, papa luigi...waita minuto he's the pizza maker down the road. dont open up a pizza shop next to him though. the little Ding get very very angry, and...fogedabatit!:D

SenseiShellie
06-03-2007, 01:19 PM
read some posts bout mattera, villari, papa luigi...waita minuto he's the pizza maker down the road. dont open up a pizza shop next to him though. the little Ding get very very angry, and...fogedabatit!:D

LOL! He sounds Sicilian...

ninja matt
06-07-2007, 02:24 PM
i lived most of my life in a city that had many Villari studios. if your looking for some proper body mechanics and some deeper stuff i would say move on. on the other hand if you just wanna work out with kicks and punches(movement only) then i would say stay. it all depends where ur at and what ur after?

cheers,

If you just wanted to work kicks and punches I would do kick boxing, Muay thai,
That way you wont have to learn a bunch of crappy forms.

sk girl
06-08-2007, 11:12 AM
If you just wanted to work kicks and punches I would do kick boxing, Muay thai,
That way you wont have to learn a bunch of crappy forms.

Not a bad idea:) I always felt my ussd training was a waste of time. This or wing chun would have been a lot more usefull then all the years spent at ussd's McDojo's house of rip you off.

sun dragon
07-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Not a bad idea:) I always felt my ussd training was a waste of time. This or wing chun would have been a lot more usefull then all the years spent at ussd's McDojo's house of rip you off.

HAHA too true.