Here are some examples of the Qixing Tanglangquan version of Ba Zhou:

Yuen Man Kai, student of Wong Hon Fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QONXZYzf-n0 The first road starts at 00:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Z9_drEHoo&feature=related

Unknown practitioner with a Mainland flavor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPxr-RBYIU4

mooyingmantis
10-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Here are my notes taken from another video originally posted by a student of Yuen Man Kai's lineage:

Bazhou
Eight Elbows

01. Feet Together, Raise Hooks
zu he bing ti gou
02. Horse Pattern, Lower Level Palms
ma shi di ping zhang
03. Lift Leg, Right Rising Palm
ti tui you ti zhang
04. Ascend Mountain, Left & Right Circle
deng shan zuo you quan
05. Seven Star, Left Sticky Elbow
qi xing zuo nian zhou
06. Horse Pattern, Left Turn Elbow
ma shi zuo kuai zhou
07. Ascend Mountain, Right Splitting Crush
deng shan you pi ya
08. Ascend Mountain, Hook Grapple Claw
deng shan gou lou zhao
09. Seven Star, Left Arm Elbow
qi xing zuo bi zhou
10. Seven Star, Right Arm Elbow
qi xing you bi zhou
11. Seven Star, Left Crushing Claw
qi xing zuo beng zhao
12. Seven Star, Right Crushing Claw
qi xing you beng zhao
13. Seven Star, Right Rising Palm
qi xing you ti zhang
14. Seven Star, Right Insert Strike
qi xing you bu chui
15. Ascend Mountain, Ten Character Strike
deng shan shi zi chui
16. Ride Tiger, Left Single Whip
kua hu zuo dan bian
17. Ascend Mountain, Right Fold Elbow
deng shan you die zhou
18. Ascend Mountain, Left Fold Elbow
deng shan zuo die zhou
19. Crushing Kick, Left Greeting Circle
ya tui zuo jiao quan
20. Enter Ring, Left Rolling Arm
ru huan zuo gun bang
21. Ascend Mountain, Right Splitting Crush
deng shan you pi ya
22. Lift Leg, Right Offer Peach
ti tui you xian tao
23. Enter Right, Right Falling Elbow
ru huan you zai zhou
24. Lift Leg, Double Level Palms
ti tui shuang ping zhang
25. Enter Ring, Right Rolling Arm
ru huan you gun bang
26. Ascend Mountain, Left Thrust Palm
deng shan zuo cha zhang
27. Kick Leg, Right Insert Strike
ti tui you bu chui
28. Lift Leg, Left Coiling Elbow
ti tui zuo pan zhou
29. Slant Step, Right Sideward Strike
xie bu you heng chui
30. Lift Leg, Right Crushing Strike
ti tui you beng chui
31. Ride Tiger, Left Greeting Circle
kua hu zuo jiao quan
32. Enter Ring, Left Rolling Arm
ru huan zuo gun bang
33. Ascend Mountain, Left Greeting Circle
deng shan zuo jiao quan
34. Ascend Mountain, Right Left Circle
deng shan you zuo quan
35. Ascend Mountain, Left Crushing Strike
deng shan zuo beng chui
36. Ascend Mountain, Right Crushing Strike
deng shan you beng chui
37. Ascend Mountain, Hang Gathering Strike
deng shan gua tong chui
38. Twist Step, Right Low Block
niu bu you di tang
39. Collapse Stance, Right Windlass
tun ta you lu lu
40. Ascend Mountain, Left Circle Strike
deng shan zuo quan chui
41. Lift Leg Left Crushing Strike
ti tui zuo beng chui
42. Twist Step, Left Low Block
niu bu zuo di tang
43. Collapse Stance, Left Windlass
tun ta zuo lu lu
44. Ascend Mountain, Left Uppercut Strike
deng shan zuo cuo chui
45. Horse Pattern, Right Gathering Strike
ma shi you tong chui
46. Ascend Mountain, Hook Grapple Hands
deng shan gou lou shou
47. Ascend Mountain, Right Fold Elbow
deng shan you die zhou
48. Lift Leg, Left Uppercut Strike
ti tui zuo cuo chui
49. Ascend Mountain, Right Fold Elbow
deng shan you die zhou
50. Ascend Mountain, Hang Gathering Strike
deng shan gua tong chui
51. Ride Tiger, Right Lifting Palm
kua hu you tiao zhang
52. Feet Together, Raise Hooks
zu he bing ti gou

Step by Step
01. Feet together, raise double hooks upward, then press downward (facing N).
02. Horse Pattern, double lower level palms facing downward (facing N).
03. Raise the right knee while executing a right rising palm that snaps into a right hook at face level (it looks like a beng zhao at the end of the movement) with a left hook held at diaphragm level.
04. Step the right foot down into Ascend Mountain and execute a left quan zhao with the right hook under the left armpit, then execute a right quan zhao with a left hook under the right armpit.
05. Step the left foot to N into a Seven Star and execute a left sticky elbow (hand in zhao shape) with a right gou shou.
06. Shift into a Horse Pattern with a left turn elbow strike to N.
07. Perform a Running Step into a left Ascend Mountain and circle the hands vertically on the right side of the body to execute double seal hands that end in a right pi chui into the left palm.
08. Shuffle step forward into a left Ascend Mountain with a right gou, left lou and right eagle claw strike to the face.
09. Shift back into a left Seven Star with a left sao zhao.
10. Step the right foot forward into a right Seven Star with a right sao zhao.
11. Step the left foot forward into a left Seven Star with a left beng zhao.
12. Step the right foot forward into a right Seven Star with a right beng zhao.
13. Shift forward into a right Ascend Mountain with a right rising palm slap to the groin. Shift back into a right Seven Star and continue raising the hand back into a zhao shou.
14. Perform a Running Step into a right Seven Star with a right then left lifting palm blocks, then execute a right insert strike.
15. Turn 180 degrees to face S and execute a Running Step into a right Ascend Mountain and execute a left insert strike with the right arm held horizontally to the N (figure ten strike.
16. Shift back into a left Ride Tiger and execute a left single whip strike.
17. Step the right foot forward (S) into a right Ascend Mountain with a right folding elbow strike.
18. Step the left foot forward (S) into a left Ascend Mountain with a left folding elbow strike.
19. Execute a left greeting circle to the right side of the body while executing a right shin kick.
20. Perform a Running Step forward into a left Enter Ring with a left rolling arm strike.
21. Step the right foot forward into a right Ascend Mountain with a right pi chui into the left palm.
22. Lift the right knee and cross the right arm over the left (arms held horizontally on the left side of the body with both palms facing downward).
23. Drop the right foot into a right Enter Ring and execute a right forward falling elbow strike.
24. Raise the right knee and raise both palms to chin level with the palms facing skyward.
25. Drop the right foot into a right Enter Ring with a right rolling arm strike.
26. Turn 180 degrees to face N and perform a Running Step into a right Ascend Mountain with a left thrust palm strike.
27. Execute a simultaneous right front snap kick/right insert strike.
28. Hop and land on the right foot while lifting the left knee and execute a left coiling elbow strike.
29. Step the left foot to the West forming a Slant Step and execute a right punch to the N.
30. Lift the right knee toward the N and execute a right crushing strike.
31. Place the right foot the the rear and shift back into a left Ride Tiger (still facing N) and execute a left greeting circle on the right side of the body.
32. Shift forward into a left Enter Ring with a left rolling arm strike.
33. Pivot 180 degrees on both heels into a right Ascend Mountain with a left greeting circle on the right side of the body.
34. Step the left foot forward into a left Ascend Mountain with a right, then left quan chui into the palms of each hand in turn.
35. From the same stance execute a left beng chui.
36. Pivot 180 degrees on both heels to face N in a right Ascend Mountain and execute a right beng chui.
37. Pivot 180 degrees on both heels to face S in a left Ascend Mountain and execute a left gua/right punch.
38. Step the left foot to the rear forming a right Twist Stance and execute a right low block to the rear (S).
39. Step the right foot to N forming a right Collapse Stance with a right lulu into the left palm.
40. Shift into a right Ascend Mountain facing N and execute a left quan chui.
41. Lift the left leg and execute a left beng chui.
42. Step the left foot down then step the right foot to the rear forming a left Twist Stance and execute a left low block to the rear (N).
43. Step the left foot to N forming a left Collapse Stance with a left lulu into the right palm.
44. Shift into a left Ascend Mountain and execute a left uppercut strike.
45. Shift into a Horse Pattern with the chest facing E and execute a right punch to E.
46. Step the left foot to the S forming a left Ascend Mountain with a right gou and a left lou.
47. Step the right foot forward to S into a right Ascend Mountain and execute a right die zhou.
48. Lift the left leg and execute a left uppercut to S.
49. Drop the left foot into a left Ascend Mountain and execute a right die zhou.
50. From the same stance execute a left gua/right punch.
51. Turn 180 degrees to face N in a right Ride Tiger with right, left, right lifting palms.
52. Bring the feet together and raise double hooks upward, then press downward (facing N).

I counted only about three or four differences between Yuen Man Kai's video in the first thread and the video on which I based the above notes.

I can post the differences, though minor, if anyone would like them.

mooyingmantis
10-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Based on the videos above, there are many similarities between the Yuen Man Kai's version of Ba Zhou and the Taiji or Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan versions of the form.

These moves from the first road on the surface seem very similar in the different versions:

Hill Climbing Stance, Left Circle Strike

Seven Star Stance, Left Sticky Elbow

Hill Climbing Stance, Hook Grapple Claw

Seven Star Stance, Left Forearm Elbow

Seven Star Stance, Right Forearm Elbow

Seven Star Stance, Left Crushing Claw

Seven Star Stance, Right Crushing Claw

Seven Star Stance, Right Rising Inverted Claw

Seven Star Stance, Right Insert Strike

Yet there are also some differences:

1. The shoulder elbow (jian zhou) arm break of the Greater Meihua line is either absent or hidden in the YKM version.

2. What appears to be a "sticky elbow" from a 7* stance in the YKM version is actually a rising elbow strike to the diaphragm from a kneeling stance in the other families.

3. The horizontal arm lock (qian yang), which is the fifth move of the Greater Meihua line's version is absent in the YKM version of the set.

3. The left and right divide heaven (fen tian) throwing techniques of the Greater Meihua line are replaced by left and right crushing claws (beng zhao). This same thing is seen when comparing the same moves in luanjie/lanjie.

alextse4
10-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Here are some examples of the Qixing Tanglangquan version of Ba Zhou:

Unknown practitioner with a Mainland flavor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPxr-RBYIU4

He is Lin Lian Zhu,grandson of grandmaster Lin Jing Shan.Its a pity that he can't learn anything from his father,he learned under master Zhong Nian Bao and some other mantis masters.

mooyingmantis
10-28-2011, 01:32 PM
He is Lin Lian Zhu,grandson of grandmaster Lin Jing Shan.Its a pity that he can't learn anything from his father,he learned under master Zhong Nian Bao and some other mantis masters.

Thank you!

His version seems very different from both the Hong Kong Seven Star and the Taiji PM/Taiji Meihua PM versions that I have seen.

iunojupiter
10-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Like most Qixing Tanglang, it is very different from the different Meihua branches. The version I know, which is Meihua Tanglang is very similar to the TJMH version seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFVofAiu_I
The version of Ba Zhou that I learned was from an Uncle of Illya Profatilov. I can't remember his name at the moment, but I'll have to go back through my notes.
Mostly the differences are in the beginning moves. A strike to the groin followed by a shoulder bump, which leads into a nifty catch that locks the elbow that rolls into the upward elbow strike. From there, my form matches with the one above and follows it pretty closely with mostly differences in stances and transitions (all minor differences).

Cheers,
Josh

mooyingmantis
11-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Like most Qixing Tanglang, it is very different from the different Meihua branches. The version I know, which is Meihua Tanglang is very similar to the TJMH version seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFVofAiu_I
The version of Ba Zhou that I learned was from an Uncle of Illya Profatilov. I can't remember his name at the moment, but I'll have to go back through my notes.
Mostly the differences are in the beginning moves. A strike to the groin followed by a shoulder bump, which leads into a nifty catch that locks the elbow that rolls into the upward elbow strike. From there, my form matches with the one above and follows it pretty closely with mostly differences in stances and transitions (all minor differences).

Cheers,
Josh

Thanks for the feedback!