PDA

View Full Version : bone strength

SanHeChuan
04-10-2001, 12:43 AM
can someone tell me how iron shin training actualy
makes your bones harder to break? i know that the dit da jow is supose to help, but i dont understand how rolling and beating you shins makes you bones harder or denser.

Does hiting them somehow causes them to act in the same way as breaking you bones, where as they then grow back stronger? should you hit them as hard as you can or as hard as you can stand

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

joedoe
04-10-2001, 01:58 AM
Not sure if rolling and beating your shins makes them stronger, just makes you more tolerant to taking hits there. As for bone strength, I'm not sure. As you say the dit da is supposed to help.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Martial Joe
04-10-2001, 02:52 AM
Yes it does.The constant tapping or hitting makes your bones dencer...

qeySuS
04-10-2001, 03:31 AM
I'm guessing it's the same basic thing as when a bone breaks. I'm not sure how it works with the hit, but when a bone breaks (that is gets damaged) it heals back and is stronger where the break occured. So i can only guess this is the same principle. You get a bruise, the bruise heals, and you have a stronger bone.

Free thinkers are dangerous.

SanHeChuan
04-10-2001, 06:01 AM
thanks,

does anybody know exactly how it makes you bones denser (is there a doctor in the house? :) )

BIU JI
04-10-2001, 03:50 PM
Do as A bandit does, practise on steam trains and don't forget the dit dat.

premier
04-10-2001, 11:13 PM
I've heard that the bone grows denser when there's more pressure on it.

Someone posted an article about a month ago here that said that people who suffer from osteoporosis don't have a sign of it in their ankle bones that experience a lot more pressure than the other parts of the body. I guess that's the reason why they tell young girls to do sports in their youth to prevent osteoporosis when they get older.

So I guess it's the same phenomenon when you harden your shins, forearms or any part of your body. I think the conditioning also teaches you to tolerate the pain, when you get hit to that part of your body.

BambooStick
04-11-2001, 12:10 AM
Any constant, repetitive type of pressure on your bones will make them grow stronger.

Calcium deposits form; like an adaptation, to the strain your putting on the bones. So you no break so easily.

Fu-Pow
04-11-2001, 12:42 AM
that iron shin/arm training makes your nerve endings retreat ****her into your arms. So in addition to making your bones denser it makes these areas more tolerant to pain. I think this is how the "rolling" works.

Fu-Pow
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Martial Joe
04-11-2001, 05:14 AM
I am pretty sure it makes your bones denser from the healing of the beating.I am pretty sure that more bone marrow is prodced and that makes the bone stronger.

joedoe
04-11-2001, 05:55 AM
Or you could do what Biu Ji does and practice on landing 747s. But remember to use the dit da.

BIU JI
04-11-2001, 02:24 PM
I've given those airport jobs up , the damage bills started mounting up .

SanHeChuan
04-14-2001, 02:31 AM
ABandit / Biu Ji what?

any way, how hard should i hit my shins, as hard as physicaly possible (without breaking them) or as hard as i can metaly stand?

joedoe
04-14-2001, 10:00 AM
Sorry, in joke with Biu Ji and fiercest tiger :)

I generally only go as hard as I can mentally bear, not as far as I can go without breaking something.

fiercest tiger
04-14-2001, 03:32 PM
that when conditioning eg; forearms 3 star hitting exercise. the bone releases calcium and strengthens the bone, plus the body learns resistance to the pain. drinking milk has lots of calcium but heard its a cancer causing product, soy milk, goats milk, rice milk may be better than cows milk.

but only do conditioning with dit dar jow, pills, internal medicine. all bruising or damage has to be healed from the outside and inside, depending on the injury you may need to have herbal pills, soups, teas, accupunture, massage, chi kung to heal and chi/energy disruptions. usually if there is a bruise there is not just blood but also chi stagnation. yin and yang theories for healing inside and out must be healed. dont do if your teacher cannot heal! you can end up sick, and may get arthritis or have heart problems. look at the arm meridians and see what you are hitting, you will be suprised at the different meridians. think of 5 element theory of destruction too, if a certain organ fails it you can get a snow ball effect.

conditioning is dangerous and should be taken seriously.

;)

peace

yaukungmun@hotmail.com

JE
04-14-2001, 06:55 PM
San He Chuan,

FT is correct about being careful with your conditioning. The short-term benefits of being able to hit someone harder are absolutely not worth the long-term health problems it can cause when done improperly. Just think about it, why would it be worth it????

From a Western medical perspective we know that bones become stronger with weight bearing exercise. This is one of the main prescriptions to prevent osteoporosis. We also know it takes about six to eight weeks for a bone to heal when broken. Remember that at only six to eight weeks out the bone is still not usually back at 100%.

Coniditioning works on several levels. One is simply to become more accustomed to the pain that comes with contact. Exercises like sam sing (three star blocking) also teach body mechanics for striking power. If done properly, they all strengthen local tissues.

Conditioning in Chinese martial arts is all about balance. The trick is to push your limits without causing any injury that is significant enough to interrupt your training. A fine line I'm sure we've all crossed on one or more occassions.

The bones of our arms and legs are phyically designed to support out bodies at certain angles. This is why the bones are thicker at the joints (where the weight is carried). Stricking exercises or shin rolling apply pressure at a different vector/angle. When this is done very regularly it will help to strengthen the ability of the local tissue to support pressure in the new direction. However, remember how long it takes for bones to heal and the fact that this pressure is not being applied all day as when we are walking. This is partly why it takes so long to develop famous techniques like iron palm, shin, etc.

The use of liniments, pills, etc. is also very important. Chronic stagnation of qi and blood is a major cause of disease in TCM. Conditioning intentionally causes this... Medicine is used to heal short term injuries, prevent long term complications, and strenghten local tissues. Proper use of this is very important in contact exercises. So is qi gong.

train hard, be careful...

Justin

triskellin
06-14-2001, 10:55 PM
And here I was drowning myself in milk thinking I was getting strong bones! :eek: Well seriously, I don't do much arm conditioning exercises 'sides the 3 star blocks, but I drink lots of milk and eat lots of cheese, and my bones are pretty strong.... or so I like to think! :D

IronFist
06-15-2001, 02:52 AM
Look up something called "Wolf's Law" (it might be "Wolfe's Law). It deals with stress applied to a bone making it denser.

Iron

mantis king
06-15-2001, 06:14 AM
Many people from my school have consulted doctors about conditioning, and they have said that it will make the bone denser and stronger. The secret is to start off very lightly and then get harder will time. As if it is not a gradual process the body can not adapt. As well as making the bone stronger it will also kill the nerves around the conditioned area, which has no real long term effects.

max power

Fish of Fury
06-15-2001, 01:30 PM
in the harvard nurses study recently they found those who drink heaps of milk actually tend to get more broken bones.milk is also very congestive (ie. you'll tend to get sinus problems etc.)
in countries where traditionally less milk is consumed there is usually less incidence of oseoporosis eg. japan, parts of africa

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I never drive faster than i can see...other than that...it's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

jbmmaster
06-17-2001, 12:30 AM
Now I see why Jean claude vandamme beat the heck out of the tree in the movie "kickboxer". :eek:

IronFist
06-17-2001, 05:34 AM
"Now I see why Jean claude vandamme beat the heck out of the tree in the movie "kickboxer"."

Ok, just so no one gets the wrong idea I have to say a few things.

Yes Thaiboxers used to kick trees. NO, they were NOT palm trees like in the movie. Thai boxers kicked Banana trees (which are what "banana bags" are named after), which have rubbery bark, so it protected their shins. After all the bark fall off, they would take the bark and wrap it around their shins and continue kicking.

So in conclusion, don't go and start kicking trees thinking you will turn into a badass. Unless, you have banana trees in your yard, but they need a hot tropical climate (like Thailand).

Sorry, I had to say this, just because I can see some newbie kicking the crap out of a maple tree and fuçking up his leg.

Iron

SevenStar
06-18-2001, 06:33 AM
You stole my thunder Iron. I was gonna say that :)

-SevenStar©
Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

David
06-18-2001, 12:29 PM
Chow Gar Southern Mantis has bone strengthening exercises beyond the conditioning training of hitting things.

One of the main ones is to build the ribs up to increase your survivability in a fight and to use them as a power source for short strikes.

The exercises seem to rely on dynamic tension in the intercostal muscles of the ribs. Pressure is brought to bear on the ribs themselves by this method, I guess.

I have seen a demonstration of ribs which acquired incredible flexibility, spring power and strength (like the oversized wish-bones in birds which give them the ability to flap their wings all day).

No nerve damage occurs with this particular exercise.

I've stopped drinking milk after reading up on it. Try here for starters:
http://www.notmilk.com/

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey