they are expanding.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Junk multiplies. Divides too!

Yoshiyahu
10-29-2011, 06:46 PM
is this serious...why?

LoneTiger108
10-30-2011, 08:22 AM
It would be very interesting to see what these guys have come up with after so many years looking into our system. What I have heard is that many of the people involved were from Northern arts, or mainland lineages, so the connection to what Ip Man attempted to accomplish may be very limited.

It is concerning that they're using modern simplified Chinese too, so I guess this would be much more performance orientated for Taolu competitions and considered completely separate from anything that has spread across the globe before 2011!!

Mind you, they have also 'created' a Bruce Lee 'System' where the competitors mimic Bruce's character and posturing!! Some even taking it to the banana suit level!! :D

jesper
10-30-2011, 10:01 AM
It would be very interesting to see what these guys have come up with after so many years looking into our system. What I have heard is that many of the people involved were from Northern arts, or mainland lineages, so the connection to what Ip Man attempted to accomplish may be very limited.

It is concerning that they're using modern simplified Chinese too, so I guess this would be much more performance orientated for Taolu competitions and considered completely separate from anything that has spread across the globe before 2011!!

Mind you, they have also 'created' a Bruce Lee 'System' where the competitors mimic Bruce's character and posturing!! Some even taking it to the banana suit level!! :D

heh that bring back memories where everyone and his mother had to wear one of those suits when training KF :D

ngokfei
10-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Actually they have it pretty well structured to include strong foundational basics with partner exercises. The book also comes with a DVD-Rom.

Primarily I guess its just an attempt to include WC into a more competition arena. Limited as that might be.

here are some pages from it.

LoneTiger108
10-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Actually they have it pretty well structured to include strong foundational basics with partner exercises. The book also comes with a DVD-Rom.

Primarily I guess its just an attempt to include WC into a more competition arena. Limited as that might be.

I'm not against this sort of thing, so please don't get me wrong. And yes, your reasoning is correct. I will let you into a little inside story of my own:

When I first separated from my Sifu in 2002, we approached the BCCMA (British Council for Chinese Martial Arts) who are partnered by the IWF with an idea to help integrate more Wing Chun schools into their forms and sanshou competitions, because at that time there had never really been that much involvement from the Wing Chun families in the UK. Especially on the forms competition circuit.

I was trained as a Taolu judge and we held one of the first 'Traditional' Wushu Championships to cater for the older (pre 1950's) Kung Fu/Wushu groups and it was quite popular. But then we were approached to form Chisau competitions and we refused.

It was clear that, in the UK at least, there were far more students in both Wing Chun and Traditional Kung Fu/Wushu styles than students in the new'er Modern Wushu promotions. And I strongly believe that one of the core reasons that Wushu did not get into the Olympics is because of this 'divide' between modern and traditional arts. I was once told that if all the Wing Chun groups across the World got together, then China would have had more of a chance in getting Wing Chun into the Olympics rather than Wushu!! We simply have a much bigger following (outside of China!)

Ofcourse, this is only my experience. But it says alot when within a few years of this happening, the modern Wushu machine is trying to incorporate Wing Chun into their array of arts to promote, and all of this has been done with practically no influence from the western 'versions' or Sifus of Wing Chun around the World.

If you really want to know another reason I will share with you all, and Graham will love this!!!

There was absolutely nobody that the Wushu committees found, and they did ask many, that could present a curriculum of methods in the native language other than a few mainland lineages. And the ones that could refused to help!!

Looks like the job got done anyhow... :rolleyes:

Vajramusti
10-30-2011, 03:07 PM
FWIW-
1. I don't think that the mainland wushu folks have the competence to do a competent
standardized wing chun curriculum. Even in taji- big differences in short taiji competition routines and top flight Chen village taiji folks.

2. Adapting wing chun to forms competitions or Olympic competitions with prescribed rules
may be fun and games for audience oriented performances but not really advancing the art.

3. Just look at the diversity on this forum alone.. it has been around for a while- has any
conception of standards or merging of views been achived? And. unlikely in the near future.

Vajramusti
10-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Dr Phil sez:you need help!!

taichi4eva
11-02-2011, 05:21 AM
Hi ngokfei,

Does the book detail forms from the Ip Man lineage? Or some of the other mainland lineages?

Yoshiyahu
11-05-2011, 08:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqVthX1TV5s&feature=fvst

wing chun fourth form - competition form!

FWIW-
1. I don't think that the mainland wushu folks have the competence to do a competent
standardized wing chun curriculum. Even in taji- big differences in short taiji competition routines and top flight Chen village taiji folks.

2. Adapting wing chun to forms competitions or Olympic competitions with prescribed rules
may be fun and games for audience oriented performances but not really advancing the art.

3. Just look at the diversity on this forum alone.. it has been around for a while- has any
conception of standards or merging of views been achived? And. unlikely in the near future.

Yoshiyahu
11-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Wing Chun competition form - fourth form!

FWIW-

LoneTiger108
11-07-2011, 09:49 AM

wing chun fourth form - competition form!

Yoshi, it is becoming clearer that you may just be trying to stir an already stirred pot! I'm finding it harder to take your posts seriously :eek:

Yoshiyahu
11-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Yoshi, it is becoming clearer that you may just be trying to stir an already stirred pot! I'm finding it harder to take your posts seriously :eek:

Thats to show that they already have a competition form!!!

ngokfei
01-21-2012, 10:47 AM
visual demonstrations of the duan curriculum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaO5C9oc8PQ&feature=related

anerlich
01-21-2012, 07:02 PM
I was once told that if all the Wing Chun groups across the World got together, then China would have had more of a chance in getting Wing Chun into the Olympics rather than Wushu!! We simply have a much bigger following (outside of China!)

There's much more chance of China getting Wu Shu into the Olympics than of Wing Chun groups getting together.

In fact, there's more chance of the Second Law of Thermodynamics being repealed than of Wing Chun groups getting together.

The sun will go red giant before that happens.

I'n not sure how Wing Chun would compete in the Olympics. A form of pugilism? They already have boxing and TKD. Grappling? Don't make me laugh. A form of dancing (no negative connotations)? There's already Rythmic Gymnastics and Ice Dancing.

Wing Chun in the Olympics? Around the time we all start buying five wheeled cars.

Lee Chiang Po
01-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Just the thought of WC forms being competitive is funny. Wushu is more for show and nothing more than a dance really. Wing Chun is not even that no matter who is doing the forms. Besides, being so diverse amongst the different lineages, who would decide what is standard and what is not standard? They would more likely choose up sides and go to fighting over it.
Wing Chun doesn't have to compete. There really isn't any reason to compete. I guess it comes down to everyone wanting to shove their own stuff to the front.

Dragonzbane76
01-21-2012, 09:06 PM
WC arguing about something in their system... hum...

I didn't see that one coming.

PalmStriker
01-21-2012, 09:10 PM
If it looks like WuChun, it is WuChun. :) Or at least WuChunShu. No Ving, no Ding. Those "Mainlanders!"

anerlich
01-21-2012, 11:20 PM
IMO the most likely contender for the next martial sport to make the Olympics would be MMA or some form thereof, like Pankration.

Love it or loathe it, MMA is one of the fastest growing sports in the world with a huge fan base.

jesper
01-22-2012, 03:01 AM
IMO the most likely contender for the next martial sport to make the Olympics would be MMA or some form thereof, like Pankration.

Love it or loathe it, MMA is one of the fastest growing sports in the world with a huge fan base.

Would be a watered down version me think. so many people think its to violent

anerlich
01-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Would be a watered down version me think. so many people think its to violent

You're probably right.