PDA

View Full Version : Siri

RenDaHai
10-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm stuck out here in rural China and I only hear about cool new bits of technology.

Apparently Apples new iphone 4s contains 'Siri' an Artificial intelligence. Perhaps a small taste of things to come when we can talk to our computer casually like in star trek.

Has anyone used it? Whats it like?

Scott R. Brown
10-29-2011, 05:35 AM
I just ordered one last week for my wife. It ships on 11-4, if no one else posts on this subject, I'll get back to you after it arrives and let you know!:)

RenDaHai
10-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Hehe, Cheers!

Scott R. Brown
11-10-2011, 05:58 AM
So, I had a chance to play with Siri and so far I am not all that impressed. I compared it to my Android/Google voice applications.

Siri could not correctly translate even simple sentences into text on a regular basis. Android, on the other never missed a word, when i dictated a complex multi-sentence statemen, something that astounded me so much I did it 4 or 5 times to be sure it wasn't a fluke and it didnt fail once.

When i asked them both for directions to the local K-Mart both were able to give correct directions, but when I asked them both for directions to a less known restaurant called Big Bubba's, Siri couldn't even find it in its data base while android had no problem!

For now, i vote Android!

My wife as an Ipad and this is our first Iphone. It is very responsive to touch, but i am less impressed with the phone apps than the ones for android. You apparently cant get widgets for Iphone, which makes controlling your apps more efficient and my wife cant send me emoji simlies from her Iphone to my android, but I can send my emoji smilies to her.

The Iphone is nice, but I'll stick with android, you can just do more with it!

Oso
11-10-2011, 06:25 AM
no experience with the apple, but I just recently purchased my second android, the X2. I was moderately happy with the original droid and am very happy with the X2.

Like Scott said, the voice translation is very good (on the X2).

David Jamieson
11-10-2011, 06:31 AM
It works good. Should make an entire generation completely stupid, dependent and tethered to electronic devices going forward. :p

Brule
11-10-2011, 07:21 AM
We own an old flip samsung cell that we use for emergencies for $10/mnth. We don't own an ipad, don't have cable or gaming consoles. Mainly because we don't feel the need to have them now, but at times i wonder if we're losing touch with modern tech and could it have an effect on our children.

Syn7
11-10-2011, 05:08 PM
there is a happy medium there... being dependant on technology is not a good thing, but then neither is being completely ignorant about it either.

i was always taught that if i couldnt survive without help, i wasnt doing what i should be doing.

like, if you cant make bread without a bread maker, you need some serious help...