PDA

View Full Version : Knuckle Pushups

lowsweep
04-10-2001, 08:31 PM
I have heard of several ways of doing knuckle pushups and I am wondering which is the best/which way you have been taught. I do 60 a night (with a 3 second break every 20). I try to keep my weight mostly concentrated on my first 2 knuckles (but it usually end up with the majority on my middle knuckle. Am I doing these right? How long did it take you to develop caulouses or noiceably tougher knuckles? Thanks, lowsweep

Take the pebble
from my hand

premier
04-10-2001, 10:46 PM
You should do the knuckle pushups with the knuckles you use when you're punching.

I think the main idea in this exercise is to teach you the correct wrist alignment.

Fu-Pow
04-11-2001, 12:38 AM
There is a whole array of knuckle push ups you can do. I disagree with my CLF brother premier. One type is not more important than the other.

-One thing to consider (which you adressed) is which knuckles to do your pushups. You can do them on the first two (to develop the "bridge") or on the last two (the fingers that are most commonly broken in a fight)

-Secondly how you place your fists on the ground determines which muscles you are using. You can do them with your knuckles facing forward (like you are going to do a bench press) or with the knuckles to the side (like you are going to do dumbell flys)

-Thirdly you can do pushups to develop "animal hands". You can do leopard fist pushups. Start by using your thumb as a support. You can do finger tip pushups or pushups on the back of your hands to develop crane techniques.

Any combination of these ideas will work with a few exceptions. There is a whole array of training you can do via pushups. Viva la pushups!!!

Fu-Pow
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

joedoe
04-11-2001, 05:57 AM
I never developed callouses from knockle pushups, but I did get a very flat fist :)

I'm serious.

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Rolling Elbow
04-22-2001, 11:07 PM
Nobody disagrees with my pal Premier..he knows what he is talking about , end of story!

Short of it all, just condition them all! :)

Michael Panzerotti
Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

joedoe
04-23-2001, 03:39 AM
Hey Rollong Elbow,

Haven't seen you round much lately. What's been happening?

Guns don't kill people, I kill people