PDA

View Full Version : speed ball good training or waste of time.

dave the dragon
04-11-2001, 03:02 PM
hi
my gym have just had a speed ball put up and i was having a go on it the other day. it is really good fun and i find it very easy. I realise that it is a good weightless way to strengthen the pecks as you can really feel it working while youre punching away but does it serve any other purpose? the name suggests that it helps with speed , but i personally dont see how , but feel that there might be some timing training within it .does any body else train with one of these things or would fellow gung fu practioners consider them to be a waste of time? (training this regularly would not substitute any other part of training but would add to my total regime)
all answers would be appreciated.

tanglangman
04-11-2001, 06:21 PM
****, and I thought this thread was going to be about the fantastic video game Speedball. Did any one else play it???

If you think using a speed ball will help go for it. I know one guy that gets a speed ball and attaches rope either side and suspends it horizontally between to posts. He then uses it for targeting practice.

(only one more post until that magic 100!)

Mr. Nemo
04-13-2001, 12:58 AM
You can also suspend one vertically between the floor and the ceiling the same way. I think they have a special name for this kind of ball, but I don't remember what it is.

It seems like good training to me. Why else would boxers do it? And it sure is a hell of a lot of fun.

dumog93
04-13-2001, 08:51 AM
I went through the same thing with my double end ball,then moving on to a speed ball.I was totally misunderstanding the whole concept the ball is for until i saw Benny the Jet working out on one on a video and someone else on a t.v. program.If you are a few steps back it is nothing other than a targeting aid.If you get into the same range with the ball as you would with a almost clenched opponent(toe to toe) it works a lot better.The ball is used for slipping,bobbing and weaving,and striking.The key seems to be the distance from what i can tell,but i'd be interested to hear from someone with a boxing background or with more training in it than my t.v. time.

-Devildog

Ford Prefect
04-19-2001, 08:01 PM
That's a top and bottom ball AKA "crazy ball".

It builds timing, distancing, and good upperbody movement (or ya get wacked). I trained on one a lot while I was boxing. Try to go a few consecutive rounds of 3 minutes with the thing while staying active.

"Who's house?"
"I said RUN's house."

inyo
04-20-2001, 12:52 PM
It's good for,reflexes,hand-eye co-ordination and developing speed.