PDA

View Full Version : What are your goals?

MightyB
10-31-2011, 11:31 AM
What do you want to get out of TCMA? Why do you practice? What do you hope to achieve?

David Jamieson
10-31-2011, 11:32 AM
1) - A discipline to practice
2) - to pass time on planet earth
3) - quality of life

MightyB
10-31-2011, 11:34 AM
I enjoy fluid movement - I like how my body looks because of practicing MA. I like being able to hit people hard and in unusual ways. And then there's the ninjettes! Don't get me started on the ninjettes! I also like the double dao and jian. I like that I can sword dance with the best of them when I use those weapons.

My goal is to continue to be able to move like I move now for a long time. I'd like to keep my physique for as long as possible.

TenTigers
10-31-2011, 11:38 AM
well, at 54, I don't see myself getting into fights much anymore, and I doubt I'll be entering the cage anytime soon.
However, that does not mean that trouble won't find me. So I still train with self-defense in mind, and still work at developing my skills.

My skill is nowhere near that of my teacher, so I still have goals. For no reason other than, I just want to have his skills. If I am that good at 60, I would be pretty happy.

And..of course, there is longevity. At 54, I can still do a split, kick to the head effortlessly, I'm faster than most people half my age, and I'm getting stronger.
My goals are to not only maintain this level, but to exceed it.
I wanna be like that 95 yr old Bagua guy on youtube.

Punch.HeadButt
10-31-2011, 11:42 AM
It's something honest to do. There's something about MA practice that offers no wiggle room to bull****. I feel it helps keep me genuine and on my own path.

YouKnowWho
10-31-2011, 11:50 AM
1. combat,
2. fun,
3. health.

sanjuro_ronin
10-31-2011, 12:07 PM
After over 30 years of doing MA, I can't see myself ever NOT doing it.
But goals?
Shoot, that's a tough one since I have already accomplished most of my MA oriented goals already.
I have competed and won ( and lost) in full contact fighting in:
Judo, Karate, boxing, muay Thai and Vale tudo.
I have trained in Asia ( China ( yeah it was for two weeks during the olympics but eat me !), Macao and Japan).
I have trained in japanese swordsmanship and FMA.
Honestly, in terms of MA, I've done everything I have ever wanted.
So what is left?
Personal perfection.
Unattainable of course, but the only journey left to take.

wenshu
10-31-2011, 12:18 PM
I want to change the world by doing wushu performances. I think I can really make a difference.

Or maybe a stunt man credit on a Summer's Eve commercial.

Brule
10-31-2011, 12:46 PM
my goal is to one day use my TCMA against MMA and end the debate.

Fa Xing
10-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Practicing martial arts is the only time, I truly feel real.

I done little competition stuff here and there, but would still like to compete before I get too old.

Hopefully, have something other than wisdom to pass on to my children :D.

David Jamieson
10-31-2011, 01:15 PM
I want to change the world by doing wushu performances. I think I can really make a difference.

Or maybe a stunt man credit on a Summer's Eve commercial.

Yes, you can toss your hair back and say something along the lines of "dang, that's fresh!" Then take a deep breath while bending over facing your crotch.

Scott R. Brown
10-31-2011, 02:31 PM
I want to kill Chuck Norris in the Coliseum and then feel sad afterwards!

SPJ
10-31-2011, 02:41 PM
at first

1. punch a little

2. kick a little

3, throw a little.

later

1. take some punches

2. take some kicks

3. fall to safety and counter throws

much and much later

1. punch for fitness

2. kick for workout

3. throw and tumble for fun.

:)

taai gihk yahn
10-31-2011, 02:44 PM

ahh, in a way, don't we all?

<thousand mile stare>

Ray Pina
10-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Drop another 10 lbs
Fix my shoulder

... six months after that, take gold in a BJJ tournament.

taai gihk yahn
10-31-2011, 03:10 PM
Live fast.

Die young.

Leave clean underwear.

SPJ
10-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Let me rephrase my points

1. at first

I like to kick butt

2. later

learn how not be butt kicked

3. much later

for health and fitness and for fun.

;)

Dragonzbane76
10-31-2011, 04:37 PM
To crush my enemies,
See them driven before me,
and to hear the lamintation of there women..

This is good

bawang
10-31-2011, 05:16 PM
make monies

fall in love with sexy prostitute like movie film pretty womans

become emperor of china

in that order

taai gihk yahn
10-31-2011, 05:19 PM
To crush my enemies,

This is good

no, this is BEST!

Scott R. Brown
10-31-2011, 05:40 PM
To crush my enemies,

This is good

make monies

fall in love with sexy prostitute like movie film pretty womans

become emperor of china

in that order

no, this is BEST!

Live fast.

Die young.

Leave clean underwear.

When one defeats Chuck Norris, all these come to pass, of themselves, as a natural consequence!

Subitai
10-31-2011, 09:06 PM
To crush my enemies,

This is good

AARRGGGHHH!! NICE Quote!! You beat me to it. :)

dirtyrat
10-31-2011, 09:46 PM

hey man, get in line....

YouKnowWho
10-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Let me rephrase my points

1. at first

I like to kick butt

2. later

learn how not be butt kicked

3. much later

for health and fitness and for fun.

;)
1. at first

Not to be beaten up by my girlfriend.

2. later

Not to be beaten up by my wife.

3. much later

Not to be beaten up by my daughter.

RWilson
11-01-2011, 07:20 AM
well, at 54, I don't see myself getting into fights much anymore, and I doubt I'll be entering the cage anytime soon.
However, that does not mean that trouble won't find me. So I still train with self-defense in mind, and still work at developing my skills.

My skill is nowhere near that of my teacher, so I still have goals. For no reason other than, I just want to have his skills. If I am that good at 60, I would be pretty happy.

And..of course, there is longevity. At 54, I can still do a split, kick to the head effortlessly, I'm faster than most people half my age, and I'm getting stronger.
My goals are to not only maintain this level, but to exceed it.
I wanna be like that 95 yr old Bagua guy on youtube.

You do not need to practice self defense if all you want to do is walk around in circles fluidly with no measurable digging skills. Just start doing circle walking and do not get injured.

TenTigers
11-01-2011, 08:27 AM
You do not need to practice self defense if all you want to do is walk around in circles fluidly with no measurable digging skills. Just start doing circle walking and do not get injured.
mmm..k..
Not quite getting your point.

Lucas
11-01-2011, 08:31 AM
My goal is to be prepared.

wenshu
11-01-2011, 08:45 AM
The Practice is The Goal.

David Jamieson
11-01-2011, 08:50 AM
The journey is the destination...

Hold on while I look through my sack of platitudes, it was around here somewhere...hmmmm..

sanjuro_ronin
11-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Time is money and money is power and if you get the power you get the ***** and who ever gets the *****, controls the world !
So time is ***** and power is ***** and ***** is money and money is ***** and ***** is ***** and ...
:confused:

Iron_Eagle_76
11-01-2011, 08:52 AM
To reach this level::p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVhiIisH30

wenshu
11-01-2011, 08:55 AM
The journey is the destination...

Hold on while I look through my sack of platitudes, it was around here somewhere...hmmmm..

It's a big sack, keep looking.

David Jamieson
11-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Time is money and money is power and if you get the power you get the ***** and who ever gets the *****, controls the world !
So time is ***** and power is ***** and ***** is money and money is ***** and ***** is ***** and ...

just take a pill dude, it'll be fine.

Here, smoke this too... lol:p

Taixuquan99
11-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Train martial arts solely because I like them, same as my original goal.

Lucas
11-01-2011, 10:23 AM

so what you are saying then, is that the meaning of life is pu$$y

sanjuro_ronin
11-01-2011, 10:30 AM
so what you are saying then, is that the meaning of life is pu$$y

Y to the E to the S !!!

Scott R. Brown
11-01-2011, 10:47 AM
If wishes were fishes, we'd all have a fry!

David Jamieson
11-01-2011, 10:54 AM
well, that is where all life springs forth from.

unless it's a cloaca...which is where eggs come from, but it's kind of the same...

donjitsu2
11-01-2011, 11:04 AM
What do you want to get out of TCMA? Why do you practice? What do you hope to achieve?

so I can pick on people smaller than me.

Lucas
11-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Y to the E to the S !!!

word!!!!!!

ginosifu
11-01-2011, 11:52 AM
When I was a youngster, back around 1975, my goal was to be just like Qwai Chan Caine from the TV series "Kung Fu" with David Carridine. When I first started practicing Kung Fu my goal was to be the greatest fighter there ever was. Now my goal is to continue learning, growing and teaching. I do not care about being the greatest fighter anymore, I just like to fight and wrestle with my students and stay healthy.

ginosifu

RWilson
11-01-2011, 12:54 PM
mmm..k..
Not quite getting your point.

My point is that the ba gua guy you mentioned probably was not a fighter like 99% of Kung fu people. He looks fluid because all he does is circle walking and no fighting. If you want to look like him than just do forms like most Kung fu people. Do semi-contact drills where you do not take damage. Do qi gong. You do not need to practice fighting to be a fluid mover.

David Jamieson
11-01-2011, 12:59 PM
My point is that the ba gua guy you mentioned probably was not a fighter like 99% of Kung fu people. He looks fluid because all he does is circle walking and no fighting. If you want to look like him than just do forms like most Kung fu people. Do semi-contact drills where you do not take damage. Do qi gong. You do not need to practice fighting to be a fluid mover.

lol. wait, where are you pulling your stats from? Your ass? You should come and meet the 99% of my kung fu friends. they're all into mma, but still kung fu guys. Care to explain your divisive attitude?

You read like one of the meatheads at a ppv thing in a bar full of drunks who think they have what it takes to do in GSP. :rolleyes: lol and all that.

RWilson
11-01-2011, 01:09 PM
lol. wait, where are you pulling your stats from? Your ass? You should come and meet the 99% of my kung fu friends. they're all into mma, but still kung fu guys. Care to explain your divisive attitude?

You read like one of the meatheads at a ppv thing in a bar full of drunks who think they have what it takes to do in GSP. :rolleyes: lol and all that.

I would debate with you but you will whine like a child and then get me banned. Thanks but no thanks. I have seen your rediculous moderation. Best not to anger the child with the chip on his shoulder.

David Jamieson
11-01-2011, 02:55 PM
I would debate with you but you will whine like a child and then get me banned. Thanks but no thanks. I have seen your rediculous moderation. Best not to anger the child with the chip on his shoulder.

Really? That's pretty much whining childishness right there. Not to mention, you come across as yet another troll just out to bait Kung Fu practitioners and with a particular hard on for one of the other folk posting here.

so don't hide behind lame excuses like this. :rolleyes:

especially when your posts go along the lines of; http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3316146

Lucas
11-01-2011, 03:10 PM
whats wrong with debating with dravis jemisonz?

bawang
11-01-2011, 03:11 PM
he is big dum dum no fun

RWilson
11-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Really? That's pretty much whining childishness right there. Not to mention, you come across as yet another troll just out to bait Kung Fu practitioners and with a particular hard on for one of the other folk posting here.

so don't hide behind lame excuses like this. :rolleyes:

especially when your posts go along the lines of; http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3316146

I come across as someone who has an opinion and is not afraid to voice it. I am usually jovial(in life) but have no qualms about calling out what I consider bs. 99% of Kung fu fights you say? 99% of youtube kung fu videos are not of fighting. You and your friends fight? Really? Nah. You and your friends pretend you do because you probably only have video of yourself doing forms. On the days you "spar" you conveniently forget the camera.

Your go to argument is that you can fire a gun do you do not need to enter competition or engage in hard contact training.

Here are my goals:
1. To not become delusional that I can fight when the going gets tough even though I do not endure even light sparring(99% of Kung fu).

2. To not become a teacher that relies on forms to teach instead of really coaching.

3. To gain real skills that give me the nut sack to be able to handle online comments about my training. The way some of you react to the "mma thugs" is telling that deep down you do not have real fighting skills.

And for the record could Dave Ross please show his one san da fight video as proof that he and 99% of what is taught in tcma is useless. Show us the true Kung fu, Ross. Show us why you need to learn San da which is to not end up the way you did that day.

Lucas
11-01-2011, 04:30 PM
the material taught in tcma is fine. there are all the punches, all the kicks, and throws (if you view through shuai jiao. Independant styles will vary). you have ducking, weaving, shielding, clinching, etc... the method by which people train these elements is often what is lacking....its obvious if you just look at the material. there is nothing in karate, tkd, muay thai, that is not found in cma. Some things are just done a bit differently.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with tcma material. there is a lot of cma guys that compete in shuai jiao and sanda/sanshou that do train well and are solid fighters. people who doubt really need to go try and find out for themselves, just like a lot of cma guys need to try mma/grappling to really know where their defeciencies lie.

i dont see many people talking crap about cma holding any sanda trophies...geez...hmmm..

the road goes both ways.

GeneChing
11-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Kung fu has some of the most absurd weapons in the world. I've always liked absurd weapons. I don't know why exactly. It's not really a self-defense thing. If I was truly paranoid about that, I'd pack heat. Some people like motorcycles or cars or guitars...all sorts of things. I like absurd weapons - the more absurd the better.

Here's a case and point: As many of you know, I used to work at American Fencer's Supply (http://www.amfence.com/index.html). Summer months were a little lean, so I was tasked to draw all of the merchandise we offered - jackets, masks, bags, scoring boxes, and swords - tons of swords. If you look in the Armoury section (http://www.amfence.com/html/swords.html), you'll still see some of my drawings. Back then, AFS was in Soma, prior to the development, the heart of the S.F leather district. Every once in a while, we'd have to chase out some crazy street person. When I was drawing, I was up in the 'cage' which was our kitchen, our break room and where we kept our premium swords. There was this yard-tall suit of armor there, a decorative piece, not for sale. If I ever had to defend the shop, never mind all those swords. I would have grabbed that suit of armor for my weapon. It was like the kung fu bronze man - a very esoteric weapon that I've only read about but never seen.

It's totally absurd, I know, but any true kung fu man understands. :cool:

Northwind
11-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Super Powers.
But I am discerning.
Only if they're really and truly Super Duper Powers.

David Jamieson
11-01-2011, 06:07 PM
I come across as someone who has an opinion and is not afraid to voice it. I am usually jovial(in life) but have no qualms about calling out what I consider bs. 99% of Kung fu fights you say? 99% of youtube kung fu videos are not of fighting. You and your friends fight? Really? Nah. You and your friends pretend you do because you probably only have video of yourself doing forms. On the days you "spar" you conveniently forget the camera.

Your go to argument is that you can fire a gun do you do not need to enter competition or engage in hard contact training.

Here are my goals:
1. To not become delusional that I can fight when the going gets tough even though I do not endure even light sparring(99% of Kung fu).

2. To not become a teacher that relies on forms to teach instead of really coaching.

3. To gain real skills that give me the nut sack to be able to handle online comments about my training. The way some of you react to the "mma thugs" is telling that deep down you do not have real fighting skills.

And for the record could Dave Ross please show his one san da fight video as proof that he and 99% of what is taught in tcma is useless. Show us the true Kung fu, Ross. Show us why you need to learn San da which is to not end up the way you did that day.

Your goals are two to one to "not" be something. And the other one is how to converse on the internet about your training. Whatever that is. Then you go on to make some loose comment about a forum member who doesn't even come here.

not to mention, you don't have a clue who I am, but you seem to feel it's ok to make whatever assumptions about me, or for that matter anyone else.

Yeah, I'd say you're a troll. :rolleyes: