PDA

View Full Version : Gym routine for Kung Fu?

mjharper
11-02-2011, 03:30 PM
I Kung Fu train twice a week but also have access to a general gym next to my University three times a week, I have been doing a stronglifts strength routine (squats/deadlifts/bench/military press) on and off for a couple of years but I'm not sure if this fits in well with a martial art or not?

I'd like to hold the horse stance longer and do anything else to compliment my Kung Fu training

Advice appreciated!

Many thanks,

Mike

Drake
11-02-2011, 03:57 PM
I do sets/drills/forms between sets of weights. It also provides a fascinating sense of your own body when your arms are smoked, and you are doing hand forms immediately after... or kicking after doing squats.

Taixuquan99
11-02-2011, 04:13 PM
I Kung Fu train twice a week but also have access to a general gym next to my University three times a week, I have been doing a stronglifts strength routine (squats/deadlifts/bench/military press) on and off for a couple of years but I'm not sure if this fits in well with a martial art or not?

I'd like to hold the horse stance longer and do anything else to compliment my Kung Fu training

Advice appreciated!

Many thanks,

Mike

Your workout should be fine. As a piece of advice, if you want a good horse for kung fu, I find it's better, instead of thinking of holding it longer, to train to drop into it as though you were dropping behind an opponent and throwing them, in short, make it into a dynamic stance that you go into and come out of readily. When you can throw the person who can hold the stance longer using the stance, you learn to live with the shame of not being able to hold the stance as long.:D

Mostly kidding.

maxattck
11-02-2011, 04:27 PM
squats/deadlifts/bench/military press

As far as lifts go those are all you need, might want to do good mornings too, body wait stuff like push up, sit ups and planks are good on non lift days. Try stretching after you are done with your squats, my deepest stretches have been after squats

YouKnowWho
11-02-2011, 04:41 PM
access to a general gym ...

The weight pulley will be good. It can help you to train defense against leg shooting - press your opponent's head down to ground.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5606/weightpulley2.jpg

Dragonzbane76
11-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I do sets/drills/forms between sets of weights. It also provides a fascinating sense of your own body when your arms are smoked, and you are doing hand forms immediately after... or kicking after doing squats.

I usually do the sets/drills/forms after i've done everything. Like you said you feel it more and get the fatigue more prominent after you've done all your weight regiment. I also throw a mile and half run in sometimes after my weights.

mjharper
11-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Cheers guys

spiralstair
11-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Best ratio of pulling to pressing upper body exercises for MA = 2 to 1
Add Chins variations
Inverted row variations
DB row variations
Cable pull variations

Core anti-extension
Core anti-rotation

Iron_Eagle_76
11-03-2011, 06:01 AM
Check out this site, lots of good ideas here:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/

wenshu
11-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Something to watch out for is that training a lot of high intensity work concurrently with max strength will smoke you pretty quickly. Mind your recovery to avoid remorse for the week prior's over training.

bawang
11-03-2011, 12:44 PM
weight lifting and kung fu training are one and the same.

weight vest/hold squat stance under smith machine until failure

Ray Pina
11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
If you can separate the lifting from the martial arts I think it's great.

My point, in lifting you resist and fight the weight. You struggle against it. In fighting you drop the weight, you let it go. You don't resist.

Just keep that in mind. Don't bring a muscle head mentality to class. Try not to overpower your classmates when drilling. Use technique.

Then when you face someone for real you have power AND technique.... though power is good to have.

Drake
11-03-2011, 01:15 PM
if you can separate the lifting from the martial arts i think it's great.

My point, in lifting you resist and fight the weight. You struggle against it. In fighting you drop the weight, you let it go. You don't resist.

Just keep that in mind. Don't bring a muscle head mentality to class. Try not to overpower your classmates when drilling. Use technique.

Then when you face someone for real you have power and technique.... Though power is good to have.

wut?

Brule
11-03-2011, 01:18 PM
abandon all notions of weightlifting to supplement your kungfu. Added bulk only makes you slow and inflexible, thus counterproductive to good kung fu.

David Jamieson
11-03-2011, 01:30 PM
abandon all notions of weightlifting to supplement your kungfu. Added bulk only makes you slow and inflexible, thus counterproductive to good kung fu.

what? Yer trolling dude. lol.

Resistance training is key to building strength, strength is key to having kung fu. Many, many, many of the great kung fu men did resistance training or lifting.

even today weight is used by scores of kung fu players, myself included.

I don't body build, but weight is key to maintaining this adonis like shape I got going on! :)

For instance, this man in this picture is Chiu Wai, Older son of Chiu Kao and older brother of Chiu Chi Ling. Look at what lays resting on the floor to the right of this pic. :-)
http://www.hkhunggar.com/Chiu%20Wai%20877.JPG

Drake
11-03-2011, 01:57 PM

That's a myth. Maybe if you are an extreme bodybuilder that's true. Otherwise, it's just an excuse for weak people avoid getting stronger.

Seriously... that's the biggest lie...ever.

David Jamieson
11-03-2011, 02:03 PM
That's a myth. Maybe if you are an extreme bodybuilder that's true. Otherwise, it's just an excuse for weak people avoid getting stronger.

Seriously... that's the biggest lie...ever.

Extreme bodybuilders are indeed weirdness.
Real weirdness but I think that is the sport of Narcissists anyway. lol

kind of like toddlers and tiaras it appears to be sanctioned mental illness on some levels...

Drake
11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Extreme bodybuilders are indeed weirdness.
Real weirdness but I think that is the sport of Narcissists anyway. lol

kind of like toddlers and tiaras it appears to be sanctioned mental illness on some levels...

Maybe ultra-competitiveness too. With a side of obsessive compulsiveness perhaps?

Brule
11-04-2011, 05:58 AM
I figured since some were re-hashing old arguments that we haven't re-hashed the notion of strength training makes you slow etc....

It was my feable attempt at trolling. I think strength training is intergral to being a good MAist.

Frost
11-04-2011, 06:02 AM
forget it those who would bite are too busy moaning about the MMA crowd and argueing about grappling on others threads to pop in here :)

Brule
11-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Maybe i should start a new thread.....;)