PDA

View Full Version : Ving Tsun martialART?

Jubei1
11-03-2011, 10:23 AM
This thought crossed my mind while driving home from a training class. I was told that in the beginning of your training you should stick to the curriculum as best as you possible could. When you start getting better in technique and understanding you can start "bending" rules per say. When you truly understand the VT concepts and principles then you can let go off all the rules and make "VT yours."
The phrase 'don't be a slave to technique" comes to mind.

This thought came to mind because of some of my training partners perform moves that don’t exactly fit within the VT movements or shape. When asked about these changes I was told by one person that he made the changes due to his physical stature and belief. He said that this was "his" VT.
It was said in a recent post some VT have elbows some don’t, some have knees some don’t, some grab some dont

Could this be one of the sources of contention within the VT community?

If at the end of the day its about how you express VT, then who's to say what is right or wrong?

My belief is there is a right & wrong way to perform something. There has to be a standard.
Don't get me wrong, im not a purist to say that I wouldn’t throw a nice tight elbow if it was the best option for the situation but I also wouldn’t be calling it VT.

Ok gentlemen…. Release the hounds.

YouKnowWho
11-03-2011, 10:31 AM
There are 2 general rules that I have learned in TCMA. There are:

- There is no "standard" for any technique.
- The name of a technique is not important.

If you have learned 2 techniques A and B, you can perform each techniques A and B as you had learned from your teacher. You can modify both techniques A and B to fit your need. You can also combine 2 techniques A and B into 1 technique as C.

The

- Tan Shou can be modified into upper cut.
- Bong Shou can be modified into elbow strike.

You can call "Tang Shou" as "Tang Sau", or "Bong Shou" as "Bong Sao", it will not affect your combat ability.

Yoshiyahu
11-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Each Sifu is different. Some emphasis all tools originally found in the WC system. Some only utilize certain tools that work for them....

Just because some Wc doesnt have elbows or knees...

Doesnt mean Elbow strikes and knee strikes are not Wing Chun?

YouKnowWho
11-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Since SC doesn't have kick and punch, It was integrated into SC, The new style "combat SC (Chan Chiao)" was born.

http://www.combatshuaichiao.com/

If WC doesn't have A and B, you can add A and B into WC and call it "combat WC (or whatever that you want to call it)".

mesar
11-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Wing Chun I do has elbows and knees. Different types of elbows and knees. We also do uppercuts. As far as wing chun rules, for me rules are nothing more then something you learn to break later on and why.
We also do front leg shin kicks going across slightly and into the opponent, forward. I have a friend that does Muay Thai, that has shown me how to perform those types of kicks. Does that mean I'd ever do those? absolutely lmao

couch
11-04-2011, 10:51 AM
This thought crossed my mind while driving home from a training class. I was told that in the beginning of your training you should stick to the curriculum as best as you possible could. When you start getting better in technique and understanding you can start "bending" rules per say. When you truly understand the VT concepts and principles then you can let go off all the rules and make "VT yours."
The phrase 'don't be a slave to technique" comes to mind.

Ok gentlemen…. Release the hounds.

Isn't it funny how folks say to make VT yours and then parade around telling others, "That's not Ving Tsun!"

Do your own thing. Keep your own counsel.

Yoshiyahu
11-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Since SC doesn't have kick and punch, It was integrated into SC, The new style "combat SC (Chan Chiao)" was born.

http://www.combatshuaichiao.com/

If WC doesn't have A and B, you can add A and B into WC and call it "combat WC (or whatever that you want to call it)".

I will call my new art sensitivity centerline fighting!