PDA

View Full Version : clicking joints

stubbs
05-11-2001, 12:13 PM
does anyone have any cures for clicking joints? I sometimes get it all over but it's mainly in my hips which stops me from doing splits and high kicks and sometimes it really does hurt. I want to get rid of this problem now so it wont cause problems when i'm older (I'm 16 years old.)

Thanks in advance

"satisfaction loses, humility gains"

dmsdc
05-12-2001, 02:01 PM
Hey,

If you're 16 and you're in pain trying to do the splits your body is sending you the message to slow down. You're still growing so your tendons are growing & changing too. Don't force it.

Also being totally hydrated is very helpful to good stretching so drink plenty of water.

Force it too much and you'll end up like some of my dancer friends who at the ripe old age of 18 had arthritis in their hip joints and had to crawl up the stairs at home.

peace,
Dana

"I have been in
sorrow's kitchen and
licked out all the pots.
Then I have stood on
the peaky mountain
wrapped in rainbows,
with a harp and a
sword in my hands." -
Zora Neale Hurston

joedoe
05-13-2001, 04:00 AM
If you are 16 and are having joint clicking problems already, then you better sort it out quick - follow what Dana said, but maybe talk to a doctor as well. It is not good that this is happening to you at such a young age.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

qeySuS
05-13-2001, 04:13 AM
I've always had that joint click and so has everyone else i've talked to at my age. I asked my shifu about it (my old shifu that is) and he said everyone got it and it was because my hip was not ... well lubricated is the only english word i can think of now (sounded a bit better in english). I have gotten to a place in training where it stopped, it seemed to be becaue i got more limber. Cant really explain it more.

However i get those clicks a lot now and they are a lot worse if i've done a little amount of warmups. I f.x. got a joint click that hurt like hell when i was turning the lights off with kicks :D

However i only get these in my hip, taht is where my front tigh meets the hip :) It's taht joint that clicks and EVERYONE i know that are doing high kicks and cant do splits get them.

Free thinkers are dangerous.

stubbs
05-13-2001, 02:57 PM
it'snot just my hips it's sometimes all over. I haven't seen a doctor but I have been recommended to take cod-liver oil tablets which are hepling slightly.

I was wondering if there was anything else I can take? am I missing some vitimins or minerals in my diet, if so what foods can these be found?

If not, does anyone know any good exercises that I can use to gently and gradualy limber up? When I stretch, when should I stop? I usually stop when the muscles hurt a bit, hold it for a while then try and go further. This has worked for me so far in my flexability but it doesn't seem to do much good for my joints.

Please, any further advice would be appreciated.

qeySuS
05-13-2001, 04:10 PM
Now that you mention it i was taking Cod Liver oil at the time my clicking stopped. It's called "Lýsi" in icelandic and is VERY healthy. I maybe oughta start taking this again, a months worth supplies of this costs only like 5$.

HOWEVER! Watch out! The cod liver oil tastas HORRIBLY! Get the pills! You can get them as pills and PLEASE DO!

bearpaw
05-14-2001, 11:54 AM
I've had clicking "problems" most of my life. Talked to a doctor and he had no answer for or way of getting rid of it. Talked to my Sifu and he said, "Jaw it." Noe the clicking is on its way out. Jawing does not "fit" everything but really can't hurt.

qeySuS
05-14-2001, 04:22 PM
I'm taking the cod oil, i took some yesterday and i'll take some 2-3 hours before practice today, i'll keep you posted on if it felt any better.

qeySuS
05-17-2001, 12:23 AM
ok!! REMARKABLE RESULTS!!!

Ok i once stopped getting clicking joints and i thought it was because i trained so much, then it suddenly came back and i though "**** i gotta train more" Then stubbs mentioned the cod oil and i remembered that at the time my joint clicks had stopped i was taking Lýsi.

Well ok the past 5 days i've been taking a combination of Vitamins and Lýsi (their sold as a pack called something like "The health combination" from the Lýsi company) And my clicking has COMPLETELY stopped, i hardly did any warmups at practice, and i did all the kicks that had produced my hip join clicks, hammer kick, high sweep, roundhouse to the head. And nothing even came close to clicking.

So!! I HIGHLY suggest that anyone having this problem take Cod Oil, but get the tablets! Cod oil is basicly the liver of cod melted down to a liquid, and it tastes just like melted cod liver (iow) so get the tablets, it's not just good for the joints it's really healthy.

stubbs
05-17-2001, 07:15 PM
after about a week of taking cod liver oil tablets, nearly all of my clicking has stopped and it's not stopping me from doing the splits now :D great stuff!!

Turiyan
05-18-2001, 02:41 AM
The cod liver is really great when you take it with orange juice on a empty stomach. Dont eat anything for a few hours.

Cider vinegar in water works great too.

Turiyan gold, Brahmin caste, Ordos clan

The REAL taichi:
http://www.wfdesign.com/tc/
http://www.wustyle.com/108.html

Chinese military forum:
http://www.anyboard.net/plaboard/

rubber legs
05-18-2001, 03:37 PM
I posted something similar to this on the forum about 3 weeks ago. I'm 16 to and was having a clicking and popping in my hip. It healed in about two weeks. Some of my other friends have also had similar experiences.