PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun Bridge - Control Your Opponent

Yoshiyahu
11-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Taking Your WC and fighting with it!

1.First Find a Boxer, MT, Kickboxer and a non-trained person to spar with regularly!

2.Utilize WC Prinicipals everytime you spar no matter the out come if you win or loose!

If you apply basic Principals from WC you will learn from constantly sparring how to adapt your WC to real fighting!

Sparring. Always try to create a bridge when none exist. If the person bridge is stronger than yours. Don't clash against him flank him or nullify his bridge while attacking him!

Since you practice WC the best way to start a sparring match or fight is to attack first! Attack first if your opponent parries, covers or blocks you have a bridge.

Three ways to establish a bridge:

1.Strike your opponent
2.Intercept your opponents strike
3.Attack his guards lop or jut as entry technique

Once your opponents doors are open you can strike anywhere. Once you are Pass an opponents Hand, Wrist and forearm you will able to attack him easily. Once your hand goes pass the elbow you can strike fast and hard an do damage. There is one and ten chance someone may be able to evade your strike by using their shoulder and yiu ma. But that is very unlikely.

Chi Sau teaches you how to be sensitive to your partners changes. It also teaches you how to stick to your opponent. If he moves back you follow what leaves. If he moves forward to attack you intercept and turn off his force. If he breaks contact or dissolves your bridge you rush in on loss of contact.

Apply Concepts and theories learned from chi sau to your sparring. When fighting expect no compassion, mercy or pity. You should fight relentlessly. When you make intial contact from striking your opponent continously attack him with out stopping. Stick to him and do not allow him room to breathe. Follow and listen to changes through his bridge. Use your eyes and sensitivity to time his attacks. The eyes do not chase the hands. You follow his structure!

Always make the first move to gain an advantage. Use Rapid and concessive moves once your opponents slows or shows weakness! Sticking to your opponent makes your chances of winning greater.

Attack while advancing, attack while retreating. Alternate moving in and out, side to side, Forward and Backwards to keep your opponent off balance. Utilize flanking both forwards and backwards. If your opponent runs in on you fast his balance is already loss, move to his side while striking him. If your opponent stands still move to his flank while striking!

Persistently attack your opponent. Do Not get caught up in always defending! If you defend too long you will get hit. If you persistently attack you will gain entry to your opponents center.

Walking across your opponents arm bridge allows you to attack the face but leaves your body vunerable. Jamming your opponents arm bridge restricts his movements. Pushing an opponents elbow can break his structure but you are vunerable to being pulled.

You chase an opponents bridge to control his structure. But you are at risk of being led.

Make Contact first to gain control, attack according to timing, when he strikes intercept and turn off his force while striking him simultaneously. If he tries to retreat rush in, charge in your opponent while striking him continously! Kick Low while punching high simultaneously. Bridge and Kick to advoid counters. Your Horse Moves in and out while you stick, bridge and attack simultaneously. Utilizing your whole body as unit gives you more power!

Five Principles Techniques to mind when sparring

1.Sticking to your opponent and following his structure where ever it goes.
2.Attack First, turn off force when recieved and regain contact when loss.
3.Persistant Rapid relentless attacks from point of contact.
4.Kick the opponents Root to damage his structure, Bridge to invisible kick
5.Your Horse Moves while your Hands attack and control.

Three Keys To Successful implementing The Five Principles Techniques
1.Continous Flow with out ceasing - Like Water
2.Short Explosive energy from anywhere - Like Fire
3.Use your Structure to deliver lethal Strikes to Conceptual meridian - Like Metal

Two Animals To Learn From
-Snake- This Animal Flows continously. It uses mostly short range hand techniques to either trap,control or break its opponents structure to strike hard and fast in the weakest points. Snakes attacks both vital areas as well as its opponents weapons to disable him. Snake is more rooted like earth.

-Crane- Is mostly defensive. It utilizes his structure and horse to evade an attack. It simply stays out of reach so it can not be harmed. Crane uses Kicks to fight long range. Crane is more agile like wood.

JPinAZ
11-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Five Principles Techniques to mind when sparring

My take on this 'list':

- This is a clear case of chasing hands. Only stick when you HAVE to, otherwise, HIT. If his structure moves away from you, why follow it?

2.Attack First, turn off force when recieved and regain contact when loss
- This is now leaving you open to counters if range isn't correct. WCrs should only 'attack' when someone is entering thier space. Otherwise, you are relying on speed/luck to get you in.
Also, why regain contact when lost? What about just hitting? Again, more chasing hands.

- This will lead to mindless and ineffective chain punching. Only do this IF you have a point of CONTROL and a clear lane of attack, not just 'contact'. (or he's wide open and off balance)

4.Kick the opponents Root to damage his structure, Bridge to invisible kick.
- Ok, what tells you the correct time to kick? Why and when?

5.Your Horse Moves while your Hands attack and control
- Why? What if you don't have to move?

Sorry, without specifics, this list is garbage (IMO of course) as it stands for WC sparring/fighting. I'm thinking you should really practice your WC more, spar a LOT more and slow down on the endless stream of threads here... You might really learn something :rolleyes:

Vajramusti
11-09-2011, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=Yoshiyahu;1142270]Taking Your WC and fighting with it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO you are really lost -without a knowledgeable wing chun teacher. Your posts clearly show that. Better to sit back and listen for a while.
English words like sticky hands can mislead you badly on the nature of the action.

The list IMO is going downhill again...
cheers and bye for a while on this thread at No bad intentions towards you personally.

k gledhill
11-09-2011, 06:46 PM
:eek: Im with Joy,

wtxs
11-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Sorry, without specifics, this list is garbage (IMO of course) as it stands for WC sparring/fighting. I'm thinking you should really practice your WC more, spar a LOT more and slow down on the endless stream of threads here... You might really learn something :rolleyes:

He's on a roll with all the though provoking posts, and you think he's going listen to anyone?

imperialtaichi
11-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Avoid the "if... then... else" mentality. It will get your butt kicked.

Fighting is like you (or someone) on fire. No time to think or do the "if this then that" thing, the fire has to be extinguished quickly. But that does not mean one should panic and act randomly either.

imperialtaichi
11-09-2011, 07:39 PM
He's on a roll with all the though provoking posts, and you think he's going listen to anyone?

I think Yoshi is starting quite a lot of interesting discussions on this forum.

YouKnowWho
11-09-2011, 08:04 PM

IMO, the "if ... then ... else" make great sense.

- If you

- lock my head, I'll bear hug your waist.
- bear hug my waist, "I'll crack your elbow.
- crack my elbow, I'll underhook your shoulder.
- underhook my shoulder, I''ll ...

The reason is simple. When you do something, you always expose your weakness. TCMA is to find the right key to open the right lock. The "then" part of the "If ... then ..." is just the key for that lock. Without knowing the right key, you may use brute force to smash that lock. But that won't be the most effective solution.

Yoshiyahu
11-09-2011, 08:06 PM
thanks for your post...

the idea of practicing doing these things in sparring is to hone them as second nature or make them instinctive. When you practice Gung Fu...You acquire skill...But that skill is nothing unless you can emulate it with out consciously thinking about it doing it. When you can Bong Sau or Tan Sau a strike with consciously thinking about it then you have programmed muscle memory.

the key is to make your WC principles become instinctive and something you do automatically with out thinking about it. Like Typing 100WPM. Riding a Bike, Driving a Car or having sex with your woman!

When you don't have to plan what you will do next and second and third any more an you just do naturally. Than your WC is alive!!!

Fighting is like you (or someone) on fire. No time to think or do the "if this then that" thing, the fire has to be extinguished quickly. But that does not mean one should panic and act randomly either.

Yoshiyahu
11-09-2011, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=Yoshiyahu;1142270]Taking Your WC and fighting with it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO you are really lost -without a knowledgeable wing chun teacher. Your posts clearly show that. Better to sit back and listen for a while.
English words like sticky hands can mislead you badly on the nature of the action.

The list IMO is going downhill again...
cheers and bye for a while on this thread at No bad intentions towards you personally.

I see WC main tools being utilize while bridging.

While WC has outside fighting techniques at its disposal the main focal point of the training is at the bridge.

There are two WC ranges San Shou Range and Chi Sau range....

San Shou Range is outside range where you intercept attacks where no bridge is present or you punch or kick an opponent with out utilizing a bridge. A kickboxer or muay thai guy has more advantage at san shou range because their system is primarily designed for that distance with long range kicks.

Chi Sau range is always accompanied with bridging. Every time you do two man drills and chi sau you are touching the others bridge. You feel for changes and react.

The Majority of Wing Chun Reflex memory is practiced and theorized at the point a bridge is made.

So if your not utilizing the bridge to Strike and Kick someone are you really utilizing the core of Wing Chun? If you fight at San Shou range primarily why spar with WC why not use Muay Thai or Boxing?

Disclaimer: (You have two ranges to fight from. San Shou to bridge the gap. Chi Sau to control their bridge or structure. WC strikes with a bridge and with out a bridge. Not having a bridge doesn't prohibit you from striking. But the Jewels of WC are found with in the bridge range!)

YouKnowWho
11-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Three ways to establish a bridge:

1.Strike your opponent
2.Intercept your opponents strike
3.Attack his guards lop or jut as entry technique.

You should always try to build a "leg bridge" before you try to build your "arm bridge".

Yoshiyahu
11-09-2011, 08:45 PM
You should always try to build a "leg bridge" before you try to build your "arm bridge".

Please elaborate?

YouKnowWho
11-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Please elaborate?

It's the same concept as the "arm bridge". When you use your shin bone to bite on the inside (or outside) of your opponent's leg, you can sense your opponent's leg "intention" through your Tinjin.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3005/changlegseize.jpg

Same as you have just stated:

Three ways to establish a leg bridge:

1. Kick your opponent.
2. Use your leg to intercept your opponents kick.
3. Run your shin bone into your opponent's leg just as entry technique.

Yoshiyahu
11-09-2011, 10:07 PM
awwww interesting concept i will have to meditate on it more...

There is a technique we utilize similiar to that...But from experience It came to disuse for me because it can lead to vunerability.

It's the same concept as the "arm bridge". When you use your shin bone to bite on the inside (or outside) of your opponent's leg, you can sense your opponent's leg "intention" through your Tinjin.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3005/changlegseize.jpg

Same as you have just stated:

Three ways to establish a leg bridge:

1. Kick your opponent
2. Use your leg to intercept your opponents kick
3. Run your shin bone into your opponent's leg just as entry technique.

YouKnowWho
11-09-2011, 10:20 PM
There is a technique we utilize similiar to that...But from experience It came to disuse for me because it can lead to vunerability.

Please elaborate?

Yoshiyahu
11-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Please elaborate?

There is no picture i can show you really to be detail its not a stationary technique. But its where you get close where the feet are touching in live sparring...

Lets just say from experience if you bang knees from doing it incorrectly the person who hits the wrong angle will be hurt!

YouKnowWho
11-09-2011, 10:40 PM
if you bang knees from doing it incorrectly the person who hits the wrong angle will be hurt!
That will happen when your opponent's knee hits your soft spot.

imperialtaichi
11-09-2011, 11:06 PM
IMO, the "if ... then ... else" make great sense.

- If you

- lock my head, I'll bear hug your waist.
- bear hug my waist, "I'll crack your elbow.
- crack my elbow, I'll underhook your shoulder.
- underhook my shoulder, I''ll ...

The reason is simple. When you do something, you always expose your weakness. TCMA is to find the right key to open the right lock. The "then" part of the "If ... then ..." is just the key for that lock. Without knowing the right key, you may use brute force to smash that lock. But that won't be the most effective solution.

IMO, in a fight too many variables. I want to simplify the fight to the simplest denomination. The simpler it is, the faster I am and less likely to break down. Too much "if then else" complicates the situation and make you slow.

But hey, if that works for you, I respect that.

imperialtaichi
11-10-2011, 12:48 AM
the key is to make your WC principles become instinctive and something you do automatically with out thinking about it. Like Typing 100WPM. Riding a Bike, Driving a Car or having sex with your woman!

Yes. Not sure about the sex bit though ;)

Yoshiyahu
11-10-2011, 09:57 AM
That will happen when your opponent's knee hits your soft spot.

Yes indeed

Not a good feeling of pain and numbing together!

YouKnowWho
11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
IMO, in a fight too many variables. I want to simplify the fight to the simplest denomination. The simpler it is, the faster I am and less likely to break down. Too much "if then else" complicates the situation and make you slow.

But hey, if that works for you, I respect that.

I think we are talking about the same thing here. There are different degree of "simplicity".

Extream simple - If I keep moving back then you can't reach me (apply to all attacks).
Very simple - If you punch me then I'll kick you (apply to all punches).
Average simple - If you head lock me then I'll bear hug you (only apply to head lock).

In the head lock case, you may apply 20 other counters, but the bear hug is still the most simple and effective solution.

Yoshiyahu
11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
How to make your WC techniques simple

1.First train every thing to exhaustion all the time.

2.Second attempt to utilize every technique in your aresnal in sparring all the time.

3.Meditate on what worked and what didnt after you spar...

The more you do these three things the simpler your WC will become...

The key is to make your body do Tan Da and Jum Da instinctively. When you can control, trap and redirect your opponents force on pure impulse then doing WC is simple!