PDA

View Full Version : What Made you Choose Wing Chun?

Yoshiyahu
11-09-2011, 08:32 PM
If you practice Wing Chun why?

What was the deciding factor to get you interested in Wing Chun. What was it that made you say I want to try that art?

1.Grew up on Chinese Kung Fu movies?

2.Because Bruce Lee Did Wing Chun?

3.Your Father taught you at a young age?

4.The Only Martial Arts in your area?

5.It looks like something that is useful?

6.You never thought about it or don't know why?

7.Your Friends, Relatives or people in your Area do Wing Chun?

LoneTiger108
11-10-2011, 03:53 AM
I only say this is strange because I never 'chose' Wing Chun or the Sifu I learnt from. Being a little more 'out there' than most Sifus, my teacher once said that 'Wing Chun chooses it's own students' and it had something to do with our 'fate'.

Basically I was in the right place at the right time with a right bunch of Kung Fu Maniacs lol!!! :D

And I for one feel honoured that I was selected to learn...

deejaye72
11-10-2011, 04:15 AM
ahhh! father teach long time ago haha. seriously pops taught me siu nim tao when i was 7 or 8 years old, didn't take it serious until i was a teenager though. but, destiny did bring me here sigung jason lau moved here to atlanta my dad followed and then i followed dad sheesh!.

now i am raising my family here, am a home owner buying the business i work at, wing chun has been a major factor in my life and always will be. maybe spencer is right wing chun chose me cause i didnt chose her.

deejaye72
11-10-2011, 04:17 AM
correction that would be " choose" i just woke up getting the kids ready for school and havent finished my morning cup of coffee! oh boy

lance
11-12-2011, 01:01 AM
If you practice Wing Chun why?

What was the deciding factor to get you interested in Wing Chun. What was it that made you say I want to try that art?

1.Grew up on Chinese Kung Fu movies?

2.Because Bruce Lee Did Wing Chun?

3.Your Father taught you at a young age?

4.The Only Martial Arts in your area?

5.It looks like something that is useful?

6.You never thought about it or don't know why?

7.Your Friends, Relatives or people in your Area do Wing Chun?

When I was a young kid , I saw a bruce lee movie , it was called bruce lee ' s secret . Anyway , bruce was doing an exericise where he was touching arms with his sifu , which later I found out when I bought a book on bruce lee , he was doing chi sao . And also found out that he was training in wing chun , and from there it was history for me . As times went on , I bought a book on wing chun it was written by James Y . Lee , then later on I found out that wing chun book contained information and pictures of the modified wing chun , a friend of mines told me about it .

Then I invested in DVD and video materials in wing chun and I liked it . It was the simultaneous defense and attack , trapping hands , and the way the art was being used in fighting and self defense . So I did research on WC and the Late GM Ipm Man had alot of students including the late bruce lee .

YouKnowWho
11-12-2011, 01:27 AM
I once sparred with a WC guy. When I punched him, he used Tan Shou to block my punch. I could feel that my punching power was reduced little by little by the fraction between his Tan shou and my punching arm. I had never felt that way before. I liked the way that my opponent used his "extention" force to block. It was 45 degree contact instead of a usual 90 degree contact. After that day, I wanted to be able to do that too. I changed all my arm block into Tan Shou, a 45 degree "cut", and immediately turned my Tan Shou into 标指(Biao Zhi) toward my opponent's eyes. My Karate training parters hated that big time.

Yoshiyahu
11-13-2011, 09:39 AM
AAAwww Some many different and wonderful stories...I find them all so very interesting and intriquing...

mjw
11-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I liked the clost in your face agressiveness of it's attacks and economy of motion.

free2flow
11-13-2011, 07:05 PM
my instructor in Balintawak recommended that I should take WC to improve certain aspects of my Balintawak.

Sihing73
11-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Hello,

I was a Black Belt in Judo and thought I was pretty tough. I was dating a girl and her brother worked where I worked. They were from Hong Kong and he did not like me dating her.

Anyhow I kept prodding him about Kung Fu and one day he knocked me down failry easily. I asked what that was and he told me Wing Chun. I asked him to teach me and he said no...........eventually came around and taught me before they went back to Hong Kong.

I entered the U.S. Army and opted to take a station of choice option. All three of the stations I selected had one thing in common.......a Wing Chun School.

Funny thing is that one of the first things I thought was that Wing Chun did not require a training partner and could be practived alone.....made it appealing......boy did I learn differently over the years.........:D

I liked the idea of not meeting force with force and the economy of striking and blocking at the same time. I also liked the agressive nature....once you bridge you continue until the opponent is unable to fight further.

iwingchun
11-14-2011, 12:34 AM
First of all,

1) because it is a useful martial art (protect yourself)

2) because of Bruce Lee's movies

3) because a friend of mine do wing chun, I liked it.

and

4) because I consider that wing chun is by the most complete kung fu systems in the world.

YouKnowWho
11-14-2011, 12:46 AM
wing chun is by the most complete kung fu systems in the world.

That's a very interesting observation.

Yoshiyahu
11-14-2011, 09:57 AM
That's a very interesting observation.

atleast he said he believes wc!!!

lol you finna give him the business huh?

desertwingchun2
11-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Back in the day I saw and fought many guys who did kung fu or karate etc... I never really took any of it serious (except for muy tai) until I saw a WC class. When I saw WC sparring and some basic movements I was like "WOW!! Thats real fighting." Being a big guy I was pretty impressed with smaller guys being able to handle bigger guys. So I figured this big guy would add to the bag of tricks. It's worked.

Yoshiyahu
11-23-2011, 09:17 AM
First of all,

4) because I consider that wing chun is by the most complete kung fu systems in the world.

No martial arts in the world is the most complete...WC is primarily a inclose style...

Its a short range fighting style...On the outside You loose alot of your wing chun tools. On the ground you loose alot of your wing chun tools.

That doesn't mean you cant adapt your wc to fight long range and on the ground. But it is not based off of those two ranges.

WC is a close combat stand up style. It utilizes grappling from the bridge to control your opponent with aggressive attacks. A person who is better at keeping distance more so than you are at bridging the gap may gain advantage unless you imploy tricks!