PDA

View Full Version : Sparring

Chelori
05-23-2001, 09:09 PM
My school does not believe in sparring? Would it be wise to switch schools for sparring? Or can you learn to be effective just with practice and two man drills that do not include sparring. My teacher said sparring teaches you to hold back. But if I never have one or two people confront me how will I react if I need to react. I am not trying to look for fights but if I am going to study I would like to learn self-defense. Can anyone share any opinions? They opened a new school close to my home that has sparring but the lesson times are 45min shorter each session. Thanks.

Fu-Pow
05-23-2001, 09:15 PM
I think it is convenient to look at sparring as a SUBSET of actual fighting...it is not "actual" fighting. And your teacher has a good point in a way....you can develop bad habits such as "holding back." However, I think the pros outway the cons. You can train a lot of things footwork, range, timing, control, etc, etc.

I don't necessarily think you should quit your school, some real traditionalists don't include sparring,(sparring with pads is kind of an american thing) however it would benefit you to maybe do it outside of class....

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/logo.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Robinf
05-23-2001, 09:40 PM
I agree with Fu Pow that the pros of sparring--dealing with the unexpected--out weigh the cons, as long as you don't rely on sparring alone to teach you to fight. It's a tool like everything else.

If you decide to spar outside of class with some classmates, make certain that there are at least three of you--two to spar, and one to be ready and able to help if someone gets hurt. When you're punching, kicking, sweeping, grappling, etc. with someone, accidents (and not so-accidents) are bound to happen. Just be sure there's an extra person around who can help out.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

SevenStar
05-24-2001, 01:48 AM
"My teacher said sparring teaches you to hold back"

I can see his point, as you would most likely be doing light contact sparring, but as Fu said, the pros out weigh the cons. As an alternative to quitting your school, talk to your teacher about cross training, if he's cool with it, try to find a local boxing gym of something. Be sure to talk to your teacher about it first however, as not doing so can be considered disrespectful.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."