PDA

View Full Version : 9 Continents in Chinese Mythology

Xian
11-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Hey everybody,
I reading on a a thread of Bak Siu Lum 8 Provicences Staff. There was a note mention the belief of 9 Continents in Ancient Chinese. Can somebody help me with some information about that, like links or any other infos ?
Thanks really appreciate that.

Kind regards,
Xian

Xiao3 Meng4
11-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Not sure about the 9 continents thing - are you SURE it's 9 continents, or could it be 9 kingdoms, or 9 lands?

Hazarding a guess, I'd say it's an allegory for the Ba-Gua/8 trigrams/8 directions; a middle kingdom, with 8 kingdoms surrounding it.

Another way to look at it would be "8 ways of living/moving/being, one way of combining them all."

YouKnowWho
11-11-2011, 03:10 PM
This is the only thing that I can find.

九洲:指中国;四海:古人认为,中国九州之久是一望无际的大海,此指中国以外的地方。指中国及四周以外的地 方。

Jiuzhou: China; the four seas: the ancients believed that long was the endless sea of Kyushu in China, this means a place outside of China. Other than China and around the place.

9 continents = China;

uki
11-21-2011, 06:45 AM
it makes sense if you believe in atlantis and lemuria(mu)... both of which sank beneath the waves in the distant past. :)

Lucas
11-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey Uki what do you think about the Yonaguni discovery?

Also somewhat unrelated but what are your thoughts on Gobekli Tepe?

kristcaldwell
11-21-2011, 11:00 AM
i've heard it translated as "nine provinces" and "nine kingdoms" as well. from my understanding, it refers to a (mythical?) period when china was composed of nine provinces...the routine gets its name because it is said to have been so famous that it was renown throughout all nine provinces.

David Jamieson
11-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Hey Uki what do you think about the Yonaguni discovery?

Also somewhat unrelated but what are your thoughts on Gobekli Tepe?

Oh, I'm not Uki, but I like this subject matter, so...

The submerged neolithic mound in the sea off the coast of Okinawa is probably just that. A carved and decorated mound used as a gathering place, possibly for diety worship before the cataclysmic end of the last Ice Age which saw the coastlines of the world changed dramatically.

Gobekli Tepé, a civilization that existed during the last ice age that suffered the same fate as many ancient neolithic and post neolithic settlements when the last ice age ended and caused flooding pretty much everywhere on earth.

Lucas
11-21-2011, 11:30 AM
what do you think about the theory that gobekli tepe was buried on purpose to preserve it? do you think those peoples saw the end coming?

David Jamieson
11-21-2011, 12:39 PM
what do you think about the theory that gobekli tepe was buried on purpose to preserve it? do you think those peoples saw the end coming?

Possible that it could have been buried to sacrifice it as well.

It's really hard to say because it is ALL speculation and conjecture due to their being zero frame of reference for sites that extend so far into pre-history.

But, it's ok to simply not know.

Drake
11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Atlantis was never described as a continent, but rather a city, and only one person originated the story. Plato said he dreamt of it. However, the idea of a city being sunk into the sea isn't terribly farfetched, and it has happened in the past. You are, however, seriously pushing the reality-meter when trying to apply this to a continent. And island, perhaps... but there's no sensible person with a background in geology that will back the sinking continent concept.

Drake
11-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Oh, and welcome back, Uki :D

hskwarrior
11-21-2011, 01:28 PM
well they just found a dinosaur nest in mongolia.....no joke....much stuff has to be buried still...unfound....

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2011/11/21/3370505.htm

Drake
11-21-2011, 01:34 PM
well they just found a dinosaur nest in mongolia.....no joke....much stuff has to be buried still...unfound....

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2011/11/21/3370505.htm

You won't find any disagreements there. But what they found in Mongolia, while an amazing find, is still utterly plausible and valid in terms of what we know.

David Jamieson
11-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Atlantis was never described as a continent, but rather a city, and only one person originated the story. Plato said he dreamt of it. However, the idea of a city being sunk into the sea isn't terribly farfetched, and it has happened in the past. You are, however, seriously pushing the reality-meter when trying to apply this to a continent. And island, perhaps... but there's no sensible person with a background in geology that will back the sinking continent concept.

dreamt? No dude.

In Plato's 'Republic' there is a dialogue between Timaeus and Critaeus and the information is purported to have been advanced to Plato through the traveler Solon.
This is the actual only account of Atlantis ever recorded and everything else about it such as Donnelly and Cayce et al is late 19th century esoterica and nonsense of course, but that was big in that day and you had a lot of people too dumb for scientific endeavours who went with the malarkey of occultism instead and they came up with a huge load of **** that we are still combing through today to separate the raisins from the rat droppings of it all.

Anyway, Solon was the Greek who traveled to Egypt and learned much about them prior to the rise of Socratic thought such as Plato practiced. It was Solon who tells us how the Egyptians invented concrete before the Romans and how in fact, Egypt was likely the source of the recipe for roman concrete. it was the retelling of Solon's tale, then discussed by Plato's students as written in The Republic that Atlantis has it's start in our history.

More than likely it was a morality tale used to analogously explain why Greed and Self Interest is not the best state of mind for a society to adhere to.

Go figure we still have that problem today!

Drake
11-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Right, I know that. What I'm saying is that it is suspected that he once said he dreamt of it, thus its inclusion in The Republic.

GeneChing
11-22-2011, 10:20 AM
I worked on Wing Lam's DVD of that BSL staff form, Xian. I still remember it, although I don't practice it anymore. Here's the associated thread: BSL Lyrics: Shaolin Staff (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13315). We translated that as 'provinces'. The character 州 (zhou) can mean 'state' or 'administrative division'. It's an ancient reference - I'm not exactly sure of the exact origin - but it dates back to the Xia (21st century BCE)

The Nine Provinces are Ji, Yan, Qing/Jing, Xu, Yang, Jing, Yu/Xu, You and Yong (冀州、兖州、青州、徐州、扬州、荆州、豫州、幽州、雍州).

Atlantis? Seriously, guys? :rolleyes:

Drake
11-22-2011, 10:30 AM
I worked on Wing Lam's DVD of that BSL staff form, Xian. I still remember it, although I don't practice it anymore. Here's the associated thread: BSL Lyrics: Shaolin Staff (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13315). We translated that as 'provinces'. The character 州 (zhou) can mean 'state' or 'administrative division'. It's an ancient reference - I'm not exactly sure of the exact origin - but it dates back to the Xia (21st century BCE)

The Nine Provinces are Ji, Yan, Qing/Jing, Xu, Yang, Jing, Yu/Xu, You and Yong (冀州、兖州、青州、徐州、扬州、荆州、豫州、幽州、雍州).

Says the guy whose ancestry believes in shapeshifting, spiritual dragons that live in the ocean...

David Jamieson
11-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Oh sure, but if we were jibba jabbing about Lemuria or Mu you'd be down with it because of the Buddhist connection instead of the whole Greek thing right? lol :p

Your sinocentricity is actually delightful. :D

GeneChing
11-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Atlantis, Lemuria, whatev. I think y'all just got uki fu-ed (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1144236#post1144236). :p

Syn7
11-22-2011, 07:05 PM
dreamt? No dude.

In Plato's 'Republic' there is a dialogue between Timaeus and Critaeus and the information is purported to have been advanced to Plato through the traveler Solon.
This is the actual only account of Atlantis ever recorded and everything else about it such as Donnelly and Cayce et al is late 19th century esoterica and nonsense of course, but that was big in that day and you had a lot of people too dumb for scientific endeavours who went with the malarkey of occultism instead and they came up with a huge load of **** that we are still combing through today to separate the raisins from the rat droppings of it all.

Anyway, Solon was the Greek who traveled to Egypt and learned much about them prior to the rise of Socratic thought such as Plato practiced. It was Solon who tells us how the Egyptians invented concrete before the Romans and how in fact, Egypt was likely the source of the recipe for roman concrete. it was the retelling of Solon's tale, then discussed by Plato's students as written in The Republic that Atlantis has it's start in our history.

More than likely it was a morality tale used to analogously explain why Greed and Self Interest is not the best state of mind for a society to adhere to.

Go figure we still have that problem today!

yeah... i was gonna say......

never heard the dream thing before???
i think most atlantis d1ck riders believe its near the straights of gibralter... pillars of hercules and all that jazz... next most cited would be cyprus... i never really payed too much attention to the whole thing...

CicadaL9H
11-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I believe Plato describes the story of Atlantis in his work, "The Timaeus", in it Timaeus relates to Socrates and Criteus the story of Solons journey to Egypt and his discovery of Egypts ancient ties to Atlantis, which had been revealed to him by an old athenian, whos father had told him, etc. Because Greece (and the rest of the world) had been destroyed by great floods every age or so, they had no knowledge of true ancient history, but Egypt had been spared this fate due to the naturaul erirgation (sorry can't spell) of the nile, so they had historical records and culture dating back to Atlantis, the founders of their society.
A senor brother of mine once pondered thats how the peramids were built, by atlantian mind powers/ telekenisis.

David Jamieson
11-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Glad to see the trickling spouts of classical knowledge being tossed around, pompous ass hat that I am. :p

Drake
11-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Just weird how we went from a Mandarin translation request to Greek Philosophy.

Lucas
11-23-2011, 05:52 PM
im pretty sure we can keep it going and turn this into a thread about jaylo's ass... ;)

http://my-funspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/jennifer_lopez_ass.jpg

bawang
11-23-2011, 06:12 PM
oh i see how it is. black people are too dumb to have built the pyramids themselves. so it must have been atlantis mind kinesis/aliens.

FAK YUO

Lucas
11-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Quit trying to derail my jaylo ass thread highjack attempt bawang.

Syn7
11-26-2011, 06:10 PM
I believe Plato describes the story of Atlantis in his work, "The Timaeus", in it Timaeus relates to Socrates and Criteus the story of Solons journey to Egypt and his discovery of Egypts ancient ties to Atlantis, which had been revealed to him by an old athenian, whos father had told him, etc. Because Greece (and the rest of the world) had been destroyed by great floods every age or so, they had no knowledge of true ancient history, but Egypt had been spared this fate due to the naturaul erirgation (sorry can't spell) of the nile, so they had historical records and culture dating back to Atlantis, the founders of their society.
A senor brother of mine once pondered thats how the peramids were built, by atlantian mind powers/ telekenisis.

yah, but when that nilometer rose above the cubits of surfeit, people died real quick. so even if they were protected from the brunt of it all, they still wouldve taken an agricultural ass kicking, not to mention losing the income in the delta, which was huge when it came to being able to feed everyone... backwash from the ocean would be even worse than too much rain... and thats assuming the flood was caused because of something other than rain. like higher than normal temp changes or whatever.

im pretty sure the pyramids were made by ropes pulleys sleds and some serious man power... god on earth has the clout to do anything possible, and it was mos def possible... egyptians were smart, they even invented surveying. navigating thru ever changing landscapes mustve been a b1tch before they figured that one out.

kristcaldwell
12-03-2011, 07:44 PM
me performing nine provinces staff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gR4LMEpkP4

GeneChing
12-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Who taught you that?

kristcaldwell
12-06-2011, 12:09 PM
it was taught to me by your former sifu (and your wonderful narration) ;)

just ignore the chin-wooey stances, and i promise it's a BSL routine!

GeneChing
12-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Good job. You look better than some of the students that trained directly under me.

Sifu Wing Lam is still my sifu and always will be. I just don't train directly under him anymore.

kristcaldwell
12-06-2011, 05:24 PM
:D:D:D i am grinning ear-to-ear :D:D:D

it has always been a dream of mine to train under sifu lam (i once met him at a tournament in cali). so hearing that i've performed a routine from his system with some level of competence makes me feel like a giggly school girl (esp, when said comment is from the G-man, himself).

fyi, i got a whole series of em:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6y1BWs-xs

GeneChing
12-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Glad to know something from all the videos I've worked on (well over a 100 by now :eek:) got through. Just goes to show you can learn from video. Sure, sure, it's always best to get instruction in person, but there's nothing wrong with learning video. Learn from every source available. Never be narrow in your research. I know plenty of students that learn from top notch masters and never even get it as well as you did there, Krist. Keep it up!

Syn7
12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
nice. thats a shaolin staff form? mos def northern. it looks familliar but i dont recognize the name. is that a form i would see alot in shaolin demos?

kristcaldwell
12-08-2011, 08:44 PM
gene: thank you for your kind words; they most certainly motivational (esp for someone who has been training on his own for close to 10 years). i most certainly agree with you about checking sources. for any routine that i'm attempting to learn on my own, i always try to check myself compared to other performers and whatever books/videos i can find available. thank you, again.

syn: it's a fairly common beginner-to-midlevel routine. i've seen it done in a number of varities.

GeneChing
12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
That's great, Krist. I don't practice those forms regularly any more but a lot of BSL is tattooed into my sinews. I don't remember the exact routines if you ask me cold, but I can reassemble them pretty quickly with a little rehearsal (and maybe a youtube hint or two ;)). If we ever cross paths face-to-face, I'd be happy to share any pointers, assuming you're still playing them.

Now back OT, speaking of Atlantis...err....I mean J-Lo's booty (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1147378#post1147378)....;)