PDA

View Full Version : Fast punches=hurt elbow??

iwingchun
11-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Hello,

I would like to know if someone do chain punches on air, can he probably hurt his elbow? :confused:

Thank you in advance

YouKnowWho
11-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Try to train your chain punches on heavy bag instead. If you have to hit the thin air, try not to straight your arm 100%. Your arm should look straight but bend, it should look bend but straight. When you hit on your heavy bag (or your opponent's body), your arm will never be able to straight 100% any way.

iwingchun
11-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Thank you for the instant and useful answer!!

Vajramusti
11-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Hello,

I would like to know if someone do chain punches on air, can he probably hurt his elbow? :confused:

Thank you in advance

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what kind of wing chun you do.
I have been practicing punching for years,decades really-- with the hand straight out for air punching.. bent against resistance.I have NEVER hurt my elbow in wing chun. If you snap your elbow-up/down
or sideways you can hurt your elbow or get tendonitis. Try NOT to punch with speed or power UNTIL you learn how to control your elbow,

Yoshiyahu
11-14-2011, 09:28 AM
You should have correct structure when punching. The elbow should be down not up or to the side. The elbow is slightly bent.

If your elbow is not bent then you will hyper extend your elbow!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what kind of wing chun you do.
I have been practicing punching for years,decades really-- with the hand straight out for air punching.. bent against resistance.I have NEVER hurt my elbow in wing chun. If you snap your elbow-up/down
or sideways you can hurt your elbow or get tendonitis. Try NOT to punch with speed or power UNTIL you learn how to control your elbow,

Vajramusti
11-14-2011, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=Yoshiyahu;1143066]You should have correct structure when punching. The elbow should be down not up or to the side. The elbow is slightly bent.

If your elbow is not bent then you will hyper extend your elbow![/QUOTE-----------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry- I will repeat again:

1. I don't know what kind or how much wing chun you do.

In straightening your hand you do not have to hurt your elbows. Wrong motions can hurt your elbow.

Yoshiyahu
11-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Straighting your hand...what do you mean palm strike or bil gee?

I mean if your arm is straight you will hurt yourself. Also a straight arm is easier to set up for a break.

THE ELBOW SHOULD BE BENT ALWAYS. THE ELBOW SHOULD NOT BE OUT BUT CENTER! POINTING DOWN AS IF YOU HAD A WEIGHT PULLING IT DOWN!

[QUOTE=Yoshiyahu;1143066]You should have correct structure when punching. The elbow should be down not up or to the side. The elbow is slightly bent.

If your elbow is not bent then you will hyper extend your elbow![/QUOTE-----------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry- I will repeat again:

1. I don't know what kind or how much wing chun you do.

In straightening your hand you do not have to hurt your elbows. Wrong motions can hurt your elbow.

Grumblegeezer
11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
I mean if your arm is straight you will hurt yourself. Also a straight arm is easier to set up for a break.

No, you won't injure your elbow by extending it 100% during chain punching if, as Joy said, you do it with control. Nor will extending your arm and locking your elbow during "air punching" leave you vulnerable to a "break". In our branch, we punch, extending 100% so we learn to release our energy... there is no habit of tensing up or "putting on the brakes". When you hit an opponent you let his body be the braking force.

If your elbows do get sore... just switch to bag hitting. Then you still "release your energy" into the bag, and don't develop the habit of holding back your force. Finally, just train with some control and moderation, and "listen" to your body. If something hurts "the wrong way", change your training.

wingchunIan
11-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Hello,

Thank you in advance

not if you punch properly. you'll only hurt your elbow if you don't extend the arm in a straight line through the joint and instead cause the joint to hammer against itself.

Lee Chiang Po
11-14-2011, 04:14 PM
not if you punch properly. you'll only hurt your elbow if you don't extend the arm in a straight line through the joint and instead cause the joint to hammer against itself.

This is true, but another factor is that the fully extended arm is the weakest. If grabbed with force it is much more easily manipulated.

Sihing73
11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
This is true, but another factor is that the fully extended arm is the weakest. If grabbed with force it is much more easily manipulated.

Fair enough, but I thought the discussion involved punching training as a solo exercise. In such a case would not need to wory about the arm being grabbed.

IMHO, punching done with full extension is more to develope the proper structure of the punch and should be done in a relaxed manner. I do believe it is possible to hurt your elbow if you overextend the punch. But if done in a relaxed manner, with the fist shaking at extension you get the form without the chance of injury.

When punching an oject, such as a sandbag, then, IMO, the elbow should remain slight bent and the arm not fully extended. However, hitting the wallbag is not about power but again about training structure and proper fist placement.

In application again an opponent the arm should also remain slight bent. This not only aides in preventing an arm lock or grab as described, but it also allows you the option of a slight retraction to rechamber and punch again, provided you have trained such. It also could be useful if the arm is stopped short of the opponent but you are able to reposition and strike the extra inch or so the bend gives you.

Just some thoughts from a lazy Chunner on a Monday afternoon.

trubblman
11-15-2011, 03:17 AM
Hello,

Thank you in advance

Any reason why you are doing air chain punches? Sometimes I see people throwing hundreds of chain punches as quickly as possible. It looks quite flashy but IMO not necessary unless you are trying to get an arm workout in.

Yoshiyahu
11-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Any reason why you are doing air chain punches? Sometimes I see people throwing hundreds of chain punches as quickly as possible. It looks quite flashy but IMO not necessary unless you are trying to get an arm workout in.

what the purpose of arm work outs in your opinion?

trubblman
11-15-2011, 10:58 AM
what the purpose of arm work outs in your opinion?

I am generally not a fan of arm workouts nor of chain punching like a madman.

YouKnowWho
11-15-2011, 11:08 AM

I do like to train my chain punches on my heavy bag like a "madman". I'll punch as fast as I can and as hard as I can non-stop until I get exhausted (about 60 punches). I then take one minute break and repeat it 2 more times. If I can act like a "madman", I can scare the sh!t out of my opponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dh_x2rqKc&feature=player_embedded

Yoshiyahu
11-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I do like to train my chain punches on my heavy bag like a "madman". I'll punch as fast as I can and as hard as I can non-stop until I get exhausted (about 60 punches). I then take one minute break and repeat it 2 more times. If I can act like a "madman", I can scare the sh!t out of my opponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dh_x2rqKc&feature=player_embedded

i think if you can punch a person face like a madman and land all sixty punches the fight will be ended long before you get to forty!

Yoshiyahu
11-15-2011, 02:15 PM

so for you they have no purpose?

trubblman
11-15-2011, 08:00 PM
so for you they have no purpose?

If you want to get a good arm workout sure but apart from that I am not of the philosophy that more [ chain punches ] is better. In other words I feel they have a place but like any other technique they can be counteracted.

iwingchun
11-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Thank you very much all for the useful information about elbow!!

Yoshiyahu
11-16-2011, 09:12 AM
If you want to get a good arm workout sure but apart from that I am not of the philosophy that more [ chain punches ] is better. In other words I feel they have a place but like any other technique they can be counteracted.

Whats the benefit

Person A does Ten chain Punches a day?

Person B practices 1000 Chain Punches five days a week?

who will be more condition?

hulkout
11-19-2011, 11:03 AM
When you practice air punching, you must release all the energy. The key is to have your hand in the right position. At the very end of the motion when your arm is completely extended, your hand should be bent back creating some tension in the forearm. This will prevent hyperextension of the elbow. Just like when kicking, you should put tension in your foot and bend it back a bit focusing the energy on the heel. You must completely extend and release all the energy. If done properly, you won't hyperextend. My sifu has done punches and kicks like this for the past half century and has no elbow or knee problems. I have done many thousands of punches and kicks like this also. Remember that the purpose of the wallbag is not to hit it. The purpose is to stop your punches. If the bag wasn't there, your arm would go all the way and your hand would bend back a bit at the end. But in real application, you want to make contact with your arm still bent and your wrist straight. The problem is that if you always train making contact, you won't learn to release all the energy. You must do both air punching and bag work.

Grumblegeezer
11-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Whats the benefit

Person A does Ten chain Punches a day?

Person B practices 1000 Chain Punches five days a week?

who will be more condition?

Depends upon what they do with the rest of their training time. 1,000 isn't that much work anyway. BTW, Hulkout had it exactly right on punching.

Yoshiyahu
11-21-2011, 10:02 AM
nice post about tension in the foot and hand...

When you practice air punching, you must release all the energy. The key is to have your hand in the right position. At the very end of the motion when your arm is completely extended, your hand should be bent back creating some tension in the forearm. This will prevent hyperextension of the elbow. Just like when kicking, you should put tension in your foot and bend it back a bit focusing the energy on the heel. You must completely extend and release all the energy. If done properly, you won't hyperextend. My sifu has done punches and kicks like this for the past half century and has no elbow or knee problems. I have done many thousands of punches and kicks like this also. Remember that the purpose of the wallbag is not to hit it. The purpose is to stop your punches. If the bag wasn't there, your arm would go all the way and your hand would bend back a bit at the end. But in real application, you want to make contact with your arm still bent and your wrist straight. The problem is that if you always train making contact, you won't learn to release all the energy. You must do both air punching and bag work.