PDA

View Full Version : Please be on guys-very very important

KC Elbows
11-01-2001, 04:12 AM
Please one of you web-savvy people find me somewhere good I can read up on anthrax detection, readable for the layman if possible. This is important, please be on here tonight. :(

KC Elbows
11-01-2001, 04:14 AM
I'm doing searches, but I'm having to weed through too much junk and I don't have time.

KC Elbows
11-01-2001, 04:17 AM
Clarification, I am talking about detecting anthrax as a substance, not anthrax in the bloodstream. Am I correct that it cannot be done by sight?

Nexus
11-01-2001, 04:18 AM
How about calling 911, or seeking medical opinion? That would probably be your best bet if you are concerned or in immediate danger of anthrax infection.

Best wishes.

gazza99
11-01-2001, 04:20 AM
You want to know how to detect it? In the air? in a substance?I dont think you really can, if you think you are sick with it go see a doctor..I have been through classes on chemical/bio warfare etc., and they havnt given me any info that could help me to detect anthrax, Ive only gotten some shots. I would imagine if their was a warning that would help I would know.
Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

KC Elbows
11-01-2001, 04:21 AM
There may not be a problem. If it is possible by sight, then there's nothing to worry about, but if it isn't, I need to know. I'm trying to find out before I call 911 or such.

SaMantis
11-01-2001, 04:23 AM
KCElbows,

I found this doing a search on Yahoo. Just look under "Health" in the main page, when you get there type in "anthrax" in the search window and select "search only in this category." You'll find lots of resources.

YAnthrax (http://www.aomc.org/ComDiseases/Anthrax.html)

Are you worried about how it's spread? Or do you have some funky symptoms happening right now?

Samm

Umm ... yeahhhhhh ... that's grrrreat ... -- LumberghE

KC Elbows
11-01-2001, 04:25 AM
That sucks. I've got two boxes in my dock area that are just dubious enough, and in the morning my shipping guy is supposed to deliver them to a customer. I don't like this.

KC Elbows
11-01-2001, 04:28 AM
No funky symptoms, just funky parsels, and some really freaked out employees. And some upper management people that have not a clue how to calm my people.

gazza99
11-01-2001, 04:34 AM
1. Lock the most expendable employee in an air tight room and make him eat part of whatever is in the parcels.

2.Wait

3.Wait longer

4. If he doesnt display symptoms its safe.

But seriously, If there is no return address, and its suspicious just dont open it. There might be a tracking number on it? If so call the postal Inpectors and express your concerns. Dont waste a 911 call, just look up the local police dep. number and tell them about it. Of course Anthrax is not your only concern here, it could be something explosive..so when in doubt do not wait.
Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

SaMantis
11-01-2001, 04:35 AM
With folks being too freaked out to open some of the mail.

That sucks. You may have to designate one "poor sucker" to put on a mask and gloves and carefully open the boxes, or if they're too suspicious for that the police should be called for information.

I nominate one of your upper management types as the box opener.

After all, they're the ones that need to have some sort of plan in place, and they need to be keeping people calm. (Not that they're going to go out of their way to set the example, sounds like.)

Of course, if the packages are leaking, powdery, lopsided weight, no return address, I would definitely by suspicious.

Samd

KC Elbows
11-01-2001, 04:59 AM
OK, there's one problem with the suspicious parsel theory of defense. It makes the snap conclusion that because previous events are done X way, then future events will be done X way. Great with a serial killer, but not if more than one person is involved. I hate to say it, but there are ways that anthrax could be on a package and still have that package be a legitimate shipment, and the sender need have nothing to do with the anthrax. I don't mean to be vague, but I'm not gonna spread any ideas around, I'm just saying that suspicious boxes are only one of a number of causes for concern. Anyway, I better see if there are any more links.

I find a definite void online as far as ways of detecting the substance.

Xebsball
11-01-2001, 05:09 AM
I agree with Nexus, man. You have to call them to make sure, if its false alarm and everyone is ok, be happy.
If the problem is real, be happy you called them on time and you will get proper treatment.

-------------------------
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt
I'm too sexy for your mother, too sexy for your mother
So sexy, YEAH

KC Elbows
11-01-2001, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys, got the info I need. I've gotta go, later.

Ryu
11-01-2001, 10:11 AM
KC, are you okay?
Please let us know.

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimuraosawa.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Buby
11-01-2001, 04:22 PM
Any questions from anthrax to ebola try this site:
www.cdc.gov (http://www.cdc.gov)

Take care and good luck!

Buby

Yo Dogs ya bes chill
Cause I flip like sifu Gary and his Yau Kung Mun click, wit two kicks and three pheonix fists
Trust dukes
your gonna split from the ging running through the wrist.

Royal Dragon
11-01-2001, 06:34 PM
Most likely, your fine. the odds are against you being sent anthrax. BUT, you could possibly get it collaterally when a letter or package is sent through the postal system just ahead of yours. that piece of mail speads anthrax all over the equipment, and inturn you mail picks it up as it passes through.

If the Terrorists want to, they could infect half the country by sending envelopes with the corners trimmed off so the powder intentionally leaks out all over the place. Heck, there may not even be any kind of noticeable powder left for the victem to even see. So much for needing a crop duster.

Scary, but I've decided to stop microwaving my mail now than I know I'd be already infected before it gets in there anyway.

NO FEAR!!!!

RD

"Chi is Chinese for Spinach"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

KC Elbows
11-01-2001, 07:57 PM
Ryu,
I'm okay, but freaked. 911 was called, and they never came. None of my people or myself can get tested because no testing is being done without a police, cdc, or health department report. The health department report requires a police report. The company sent a guy to look at the package, he looked and said "It's some kind of dust". :( Apparently, he can see molecules on a genetic level, I suggested he train my people on doing so, but he sort of dodged that issue.

RD, I've gone through weekly training on this stuff since a month before the Sept. 11th deal, and part of the problem, IMHO, is the assumption that the post office is the only source it could come by. If someone's willing to die for Allah, they could easily get a ups job in the warehouse. From there, its easy, and everyone is so busy looking for Brentwood meters and suspiciously labelled parsels that a legitemate box with anything on it is well beneath the radar screen.

Why oh why did I get myself put in charge of a bunch of mail rooms?

Royal Dragon
11-01-2001, 09:36 PM
Following the same line of thinking, all your food can easily be contaminated, your hair spray, deodorant, public phones. It's easy to just toss up a bit of dust as you get up from your seat on the buss, or casually sprikle it on passers by from the upper level at the mall, or dust a drerssing room after you try on some cloths. You could go to church, and dust the prayre books or open a news paper box and dust them too. You could own a 7-11 and dust everything if your taking your Sipro. Don't forget powdered douhg nuts!!

Yup, were all doomed...................We'd better Nuke'em now before ther's no one left to do it.

NO FEAR!!!

RD

cwheelie
11-01-2001, 09:52 PM
one of my jobs is to open all incoming mail to our unit. and we get some ****ed off customers (I work for a large brokerage firm). corporate security has sent a lovely e-mail which basically says "Don't Panic". Now where's my towel?
keep us posted. Good luck :eek:

de ja fu - The feeling that somewhere, somehow you've been kicked in the head like this before.

Royal Dragon
11-01-2001, 11:04 PM
These so called 'Terrorists" ain't got not'in!!!

Think about it, were droping bombs that make THOUSAND FOOT mushroom clouds, and all thye've done since 9/11 is spead a relatively SMALL amount of Anthrax around? Face it, if they had something, ANYTHING they would have used it by now!!!

Relax, be cautious, but relax. These guys are just blowwing smoke up our butts...

NO FEAR!!!!

RD

SaMantis
11-02-2001, 01:32 AM
But it sounds like your company isn't really addressing workers' fears ...

My office sent around a memo with the usual "stuff to look for," but at the bottom they also included 2 phone numbers of corporate security whose job it is to check out suspicious mail (or anything else). That helped people relax (a little).

Take care,

Sam

KC Elbows
11-02-2001, 03:14 AM
RD,
I'm not meaning to be paranoid, but do I want to protect myself solely with statistics? Sure, the powder I handled was probably not anthrax, but do I want to assume that, or do I want to get tested and find out? I want to get tested. Unfortunately, to get tested, the authorities must at least on some level be involved, and corporate security has stymied this completely. I understand their take on it, as far as avoiding panic, but those of us who handle questionnable items would like to be tested, and we cannot be. Make fun of our fear all you want, RD, but come deliver a couple dusty packages for me first. ;)

SaMantis,
Corporate security is part of the problem here. My company is not at all off of the terrorist's radar, in fact we're the biggest target in the entire city, and corporate security, IMHO, is not up to the task. They are playing PR agents more than security agents, and if something real does come through, we're hit.

A weak sense of cognizance in order to be unafraid just seems like a bad idea in wartime. Those of us at home are the economic soldiers of the country, and we cannot do "business as usual". Our world has changed, and we must adapt, and still excel. OK, off of my soap box.

Royal Dragon
11-02-2001, 04:17 AM
KC,
Why do you say you'r a prime target? It's easy for me to be fearless, one I'm born kinda stupid that way, and two my company has 3 employees. Me and the two mexican's I order around all day. I'm so far down the target list that I would have to seek out terrorists, and PAY them to hit us!!

That, and we get dusty pakages ALL the time. Our product is colored with a black carbon Manganese and Titanium Dioxide (White Paint),so "ANY"thing in that side of the shop gets powdered might quick. It may come in clean, but in five or ten its coated pretty well. If we ever did get hit, we'd have no way to even suspect.

Be safe buddy

Gian

KC Elbows
11-02-2001, 05:10 AM
RD,
We're the largest communications company in the state, and we're a hub for communications throughout the country. We're so **** rich, we've got a building that goes nine floors above ground and nine floors below ground, and the nine below ground floors are identically equiped to the above ground floors including staff so that if nukes hit the top of the building, the bottom can take over.

We've got buildings where robots deliver mail.

Heck, we're huge!! I mean HUGE!!!!

KC Elbows
11-02-2001, 05:11 AM
So you know the chicks really dig us. :eek:

Ozihn
11-02-2001, 07:57 AM
I think people are being to paranoid about this, only 4 people have died from anthrax. More people die from the flu :p

IronFist
11-02-2001, 08:58 AM
I think the reason more people haven't died from Anthrax is because right now the terrorists are just testing the waters... drop a little Anthrax here and a little there and see what happens. I bet you that if a little Anthrax in the mail had taken out like 10,000 people, they would have launched a huge anthrax attack shortly after. They're just testing it right now to see what kind of an effect it has.

Iron

Syre
11-02-2001, 04:53 PM
Not cheap, however:

BTA™ Test Strips for Bacillus anthracis (ANTHRAX) (Highly Specific) (Cat. # S-1001)

http://www.alexeter.com/prod01.htm

KC Elbows
11-03-2001, 03:18 AM
Thanks, Syre. Yeah, the price is high, but good info to have.

Ozihn-
Do you work with hundreds of packages or letters every day? It makes you kind of paranoid right now, and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Security is an important thing right now, and there's a reason for that. If I feel a contaminated item could make it all over the building I work in under present procedures, shouldn't I respond by improving those procedures, or should I just go "Nah, I'm just paranoid, anthrax would never come in here, I don't need to make the odds smaller that anthrax could come in here."

People are confusing me lately. I thought everyone knew that in a war, or at least a war-like confrontation, life just doesn't go on as normal, especially in this case. The enemy has struck us a lot more than they thus far have struck our soldiers in the field. The best way we can help the US soldier in Afghanistan is by denying the enemy every opportunity to strike us here.

Hey, where'd this **** soap box come from?

;)

Kung Lek
11-03-2001, 03:36 AM
Actually, with the exception of the resistant strains (which are uncommon IE: the inhaleable variety) Anthrax can be taken care of with regular antibiotics such as tetracycline and what not.

[This message was edited by Kung Lek on 11-03-01 at 07:04 PM.]

Royal Dragon
11-03-2001, 05:17 AM
Tetracycline!!???? You mean GOLDFISH medicine!!??

My god man why are we so afraid of this stuff then, a trip to the pet store and were all cured!!!!!

Royal Dragon
11-03-2001, 05:37 AM
You know what, we live in a nation that is removed from reality. I'm serious, we are at war, and vertually every one wants to deny it and bury thier heads in the sand, pretending that nothing is happeneing.

We have been hearing people crying about preparring for disaster and preparring for attacks for years, but nothing happens. It's gotten to the point where people that do this stuff are considered wacko's and paraniod delusionals. Our nation as a whole has slipped into a missguided sense of euphoria. Were ripe for the conquering. We REFUSE to belive bad stuff can hapen, and we refuse even more to belive we can actually do stuff to prevent bad things, or at least lessen the blow.

I don't know why those of us with a hightened sense of security are treated like this, but let me tell you, speaking as a man who went through 3 years fighting a stalker, every one around you thinks your a wacko, lunney-tune when you take even the slightest security measures EVEN WHEN confronted with REAL BONIFIED DANGER!!!

This war is real, and if you feel your at risk, you SHOULD take precautions, and not only that, you should be respected for it.

So far, only my Martial buddys understand the stepps I had to take in dealling with our stalker, my family and non martial friends think I'm nuts and paronoid. EVEN though I would probually be dead right now if I hadn't acted to protect myself and my family. It's like the reality of things just does'n register or something. people think we are all on TV or something. It's really wierd............

KC Elbows
11-04-2001, 07:34 PM
Kung Lek,
Actually, you're chances if on antibiotics are not all that different than your chances without. So yes, antibiotics will help, but not all that much. Better than nothing, but you will still be facing a frightening disease.

RD,
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm trying to enable my centers to hold questionable packages from the recipients until such a time as they have been deemed safe(basically, once myself or one of my people have either come down with anthrax, or not), but management is trying to kill the attempt, even though the customers are behind me.

After the incident, my people took a secret vote to decide if they were going to come back to the job. They later told me that they voted to return because they felt I was a good person and I would do the right thing by them. Quite a weight on my shoulders these days, but I'm kind of proud to elicit such loyalty in such good people.

Water Dragon
11-04-2001, 08:21 PM
KC,

You wouldn't happen to work for DST, would you?

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

KC Elbows
11-04-2001, 08:33 PM
No, why do you ask?

Water Dragon
11-04-2001, 08:48 PM
Just being nosy, we use DST for our Image Warehousing

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

phipsi229
11-05-2001, 12:43 AM
My mother works in a lab that tests flour, and they ship and receive samples from all over the country. I asked her how they were handling the current situation and she said they were triple bagging every sample because they were afraid that if a bag broke and flour started spilling it would cause a panic.

Comminucations company in the KC area usually means Sprint, but I have never heard about the building that has a 9 level basement.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be."

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 12:52 AM
Actually Claymoore, the 9 floor building thing is , from what I know, an urban legend related to the company. It was a hint for those who might have heard the legend, but yes, it is Sprint. I've heard about that building a million times since I started working here, but I've never heard a location or met anyone who had actually been there, thus a likely legend.

The robots delivering mail is true though, but not as impressive.

phipsi229
11-05-2001, 01:03 AM
The PCS NOC is completely underground, and Lenexa cops had the parking lot closed when I drove by it on 9/12. I do not know how things changed over on campus, but at my building the security people make you show your badge more, but other than that it is business as usual.

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 01:07 AM
Campus hasn't really changed much. Last week, feds were at the Lenexa warehouse, and the rumor is some of the people from my building who spend a lot of time at the lenexa warehouse got anthrax testing. Of course, these guys are higher up the totem pole than my people.

Incidentally, don't put much faith in security clearing a package. Unless the authorities do it, it doesn't mean much.

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 01:09 AM
Claymoore, who's your teacher? Fred Weaver? Terri Morgan?

phipsi229
11-05-2001, 01:17 AM
Dan Albritton, but I have heard some stories about Fred.

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 04:10 PM
I'm not familiar with Dan. Where does he teach?

FYI, my wife wants me to get a job where I don't run mairooms. Anyone need a giant swedish-looking bodyguard?