PDA

View Full Version : I am lopsided...

Martial Joe
05-21-2001, 07:27 AM
No you sickos.I am talking about my arms.

My left muscle(Bi-Cep) is smaller then my right.I am not sure if it is weaker but I know for a fact its smaller.Is this normal?
Does it mean I am weaker in my left arm?
Should I work on my left arm more while weight lifting to even them out?
What going on here?!?

:cool: Joe Kavey :cool:

dunbarj01
05-21-2001, 07:54 AM
Me too. my right is more powerful but I'm not worried as long as my left is co-ordinated and can block effectively. Some techniques I can only perform left handed. If you do forms, try doing them in reverse - not back to front but rather the mirror image of what you normally do. Just an idea.

qeySuS
05-21-2001, 01:20 PM
I didnt find the picture i was going to post, but it was a comic of a guy that was skinny all over and then he had a HUGE righ arm sitting in his bed and the banner on the picture said "Why men should'nt be single" :D

Free thinkers are dangerous.

addy
05-21-2001, 02:02 PM
This is a rather common complaint. No one is naturall 100% symmetrical; everyone has one side that is bigger than the other, altho in most cases the difference is negligible.

Differences like the one you describe can be a result of many reasons - maybe you use your stronger arm more in your daily life, genetics, illness. But the good news is that you can fix it.

You can correct the imbalance easily enuf. Simply do a few extra sets in the gym for the lagging bodypart, and you should see the weaker arm catching up quickly.

So you say your bicep is weaker? After you have comleted your normal bicep workout, do a few sets of one-armed dumbell curls for the weaker arm. Before long they'll both be much more symmetrical.

I know this for a fact - I am dealing with this myself at the moment - my left bicep and left shoulder are slightly smaller and weaker, but after only 3 weeks of trying to correct this they are already close to matching the right side. :)

Hope that helps :)

Johnny Hot Shot
05-21-2001, 04:09 PM
Is an excellent way to be more symetrical. I too have the same problem and have been trying to solve it by working the left side a little harder than the right.

premier
05-21-2001, 10:27 PM
I'm right handed and legged, but my left side is bigger. I even practise my techniques on both sides.

8stepsifu
05-21-2001, 11:21 PM
nuff said

Take the world lightly, and your spirit will not be burdened. Consider everything minor, and your mind will not be confused. Regard death and life as equal, and your heart will not be afraid.
Pick up the July Issue of blackbelt
http://www.8step.com/news/news31.html

Martial Joe
05-21-2001, 11:23 PM
Haha,Ill consider that 8step.

Martial Joe
05-21-2001, 11:26 PM
Ill try more sets.Any other suggestions?

SevenStar
05-22-2001, 04:20 AM
maybe we're brothers...I'm left handed/left legged, but my right arm is 1/4 in. bigger than my left, and my right thigh is 2 in. bigger than my left.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

Martial Joe
05-22-2001, 08:59 PM
You must walk funny.

jacob360
05-23-2001, 06:28 PM
My right arm and shoulder is bigger than my left, and my left leg is bigger than my right. For me it takes mental focus. I have to conciously make my left do it's fair share of the work. When I bench, my mind is on my left, and I make sure the bar stays even. Same with pullups. Squats and Deadlifts too, but the right instead of left. Unless you're a bodybuilder it isn't anything to worry about, it's normal.

PEACE

mad taoist
05-24-2001, 09:23 AM
Heh, like everyone else says, no one is symetrical (sp). My arms and torso are developed differently for some reason ... actors have a 'good side' which is the side of their faces which is favoured for filming, etc.

It makes sense though, by the rationale of the art of reading personality traits by body and face types. Right is generally yang and left is generally yin, etc.

'If we do not go within, we go without'.