PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi 0

GeneChing
02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
New project alert - coming from Huayi Bros.

Jet Li to show Tai-Chi, but not with Feng Xiaogang (http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2011-02/22/content_21978987.htm)
CRI, February 22, 2011

http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20110222/001372a9ae270ecdc3d359.jpg
A scene in the 1993 film "Tai-Chi Master" ("Taiji Zhang Sanfeng") starring Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh. [File Photo: Baidu.com]

Jet Li has been confirmed to focus his new movie on the Chinese martial arts of Tai-Chi, but Feng Xiaogang won't be the director.

Production company Huayi Brothers announced the film on Monday, February 21, 2011. With the working title, "Tai-Chi", the film will star Jet Li as a legendary Tai-Chi master.

Li built one of his most successful roles with his portrayal of Tai-Chi master Zhang Sanfeng in Yuen Woo-Ping's 1993 film "Tai-Chi Master" ("Taiji Zhang Sanfeng"). Huayi Brothers didn't elaborate on Li's new character, but said it won't reprise Zhang Sanfeng.

Jet Li will be the executive producer of the film with Chen Kuo-Fu.

The kung-fu star has been dedicated to promoting Tai-Chi. He announced in August, 2010 that he was working to help Tai-Chi push-hands (a two-person training routine) become an official Olympic sport.

As for the director of "Tai-Chi", Huayi Brothers didn't announce a specific candidate, but denied previous rumors that Feng Xiaogang would direct the film.

Feng, who made such bankable films as "Aftershock" and the "If You Are the One" series, is preparing for his own project that "will involve heavy investment," according to Huayi Brothers.

Previous reports suggest Feng's upcoming film will be about the bombing of Chongqing, a five-year-long military operation conducted by the invading Japanese troops on China's wartime capital during WWII.

I wonder if this will conflict with Stephan Chow's Tai Chi (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56524) project with Jack Black and Anne Hathaway.

GeneChing
11-17-2011, 10:59 AM
"Taichi 0", "Taichi Hero" & "Taichi Summit"

"Taichi" Confirmed to Shoot Trilogy (http://www.chinesefilms.cn/1/2011/11/10/201s5666.htm)
2011-11-10 15:44:43 Chinese Films

http://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2011/11/10/ec91558e251348fabf7cb8b1fe3d8bdb.jpg
Concept Poster of the Film "Taichi 0" [Photo: mtime.com]

The film "Taichi", a heavyweight blockbuster and one of the films included in the Huayi Brothers' "H Plan" for a series of 2011 hit movies, has attracted intense interest from overseas producers. The frenzy of interest comes as the concept posters were released at the 64th Cannes Film Festival, according to reports from mtime.com.

Though the film is currently midway through the filming process, its copyright has been sold to 31 countries in the American Film Market (AFM), which was held in Santa Monica, California from November 2 to 9. Overseas copyright was sold to countries including UK, France, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand.

In regards to the American Film Market (AFM), the Huayi Brothers also announced that the "Taichi" trilogy will respectively be entitled "Taichi 0", "Taichi Hero" and "Taichi Summit". The president of Huayi Brothers, Wang Zhonglei, has revealed that the "0" of the prelude title means "zero", suggesting that the trilogy starts from "zero", and tells the tale of how a great master of Taichi was created.

The production of the trilogy has been launched at the same time, which can be taken as the first attempt of this kind in Chinese film history. The first two films of the trilogy are now being filmed, as part promises to be an intense production process for the company.

By Zhang Ting

Hebrew Hammer
11-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Curiosity peaked...:eek:

doug maverick
11-21-2011, 01:41 PM
"Taichi 0", "Taichi Hero" & "Taichi Summit"

so it seems that tai chi is being pushed as the next martial trend...that pic looks cool, my interest will be peaked when i see some footage.

GeneChing
03-21-2012, 09:23 AM
so it seems that tai chi is being pushed as the next martial trend...that pic looks cool, my interest will be peaked when i see some footage. I agree. Did you read my March April 2012 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1027) cover story: Putting Balls into Tai Chi (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1031)?

Taichi O (http://www.thefilmcatalogue.com/catalog/FilmDetail.php?id=13053)
Chinese - Action/Adventure, Martial Arts

Company
Huayi Brothers Media Corporation

Producer(s)
Kuo-fu Chen

Production Status
In Production

Completion Year

Synopsis
As an uncommonly gifted child, Yang Luchan had a fleshy abnormality that holds tremendous power growing on his forehead. However being teased as the town fool, Yang’s mother spurs him to practice martial arts, and following her wishes, Yang travels the distance to come to Chen Village to learn TAI CHI.

At this legendary village, everyone practices TAI CHI and uses TAI CHI in every aspect of their lives. Nevertheless, it is forbidden for a villager to disclose TAICHI to an outsider, and Yang learned this the hard way.

Upon arriving at the village, locals discourage Yang by challenging him with fights. From the strong men to hold ladies to children, everyone defeats Yang with their TAICHI moves. After facing the toughest battle and being defeated by Master Chen’s beautiful daughter Yuniang, Yang is determined to master the art of TAICHI and he needs to find Master Chen.

Little does Yang know, the poor strange man who he befriended with is in fact Master Chen who then saved him from the duel with Yuniang. Master Chen realizes Yang’s genius and disguises himself to secretly guide Yang to his self realization of TAICHI.

One day, a frightening steam-powered machine came to the village, lead by Fang Zijing, a childhood friend of Yuniang. He has bribed government officials to permit him to build a railway that will run straight through the village. Yang decided to join forces with Yuniang to defeat Fang Zijing and destroy the machine. This brave act may just win the hearts of the villagers….

Budget
10M-25M

Lucas
03-21-2012, 09:35 AM
I really enjoyed Detective Dee. That pic looks like taichi vs. a tank...pretty interesting for sure.

GeneChing
03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
I enjoyed DDatMofPF (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52870) too. But I'm a huge fan of the fantASIA genre, so there you have it.

doug maverick
04-05-2012, 03:00 AM
fb friend of mine has a role, so she posted the trailer..looks cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqpf9p9u2VI&feature=youtu.be

GeneChing
04-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Looks like Shanghai steampunk.

Stephen Fung is an amusing director. I enjoyed House of Fury, especially because Phillip Ng has a good role in it and he's a friend and has written for us. Why do all my friends play villains? :o But back to Fung, he's got a funny directorial sense, at least, based on HoF. It's irreverent and doesn't take itself that seriously - fun stuff. Looking forward to this even more now.

GeneChing
04-24-2012, 09:35 AM
For those of you who don't know Daniel, he's the west coaster that made good.

Film star and University alumnus Daniel Wu talks about Asian film, his work (http://dailyemerald.com/2012/04/21/film-star-and-uo-alumnus-daniel-wu-talks-about-asian-film-his-work/)
http://dailyemerald.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/120423.bk_.DanielWu-670x446.jpg
University alum Daniel Wu, Hong Kong film star, director and co-founder of Diversion Pictures hosted a Q&A for his new film "Overheard 2," at the Cinema Pacific Film festival. (Ben Kendall/Oregon Daily Emerald)
Published April 21, 2012, last modified April 23, 2012

The Emerald had the opportunity to interview Chinese film star Daniel Wu, a prolific actor in gangster and Kung Fu movies with Yuen Woo-Ping (choreographer for “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”) and Jackie Chan. Wu was part of the Cinema Pacific Film Festival from April 18 to 22. Tall, well-dressed and remarkably nice, this University alumnus has made it big in the Hong Kong movie scene, and he’s only getting more popular. Wu received a Golden Horse for his acting role in “New Police Story” with Jackie Chan, and a Golden Rooster award for best director for his film “Heavenly Kings.”

This interview has been edited for clarity and brevity.

ODE: You wrote, directed and produced “Heavenly Kings,” which was quite a departure from a lot of your other films like “Cop on a Mission” or “One Nite in Mongkok.” Why was this so different from your other films?

Daniel Wu: I think my personality tends to be more subversive. And so, that kind of film is a very subversive film! I think as an actor you’re more passive. They take you on for projects, and it’s not necessarily representative of you. But when you’re directing a project, it’s all you. It’s your personal taste, your personal views on society, or whatever. Especially the things we were critiquing in that: the idea of the packaged music these days; the pop industry where you don’t necessarily have to be a singer to be a singer. You know, because there’s auto-tuning computer stuff. You can fake it ’til you make it, you know what I mean? And then there’s the whole celebrity culture of this Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian world where people are really famous for doing nothing. And so, we wanted to make a movie that commented on that and use a boy band as the basis of that. A funny idea, it’s kind of a reflection on “Spinal Tap” of course. “Spinal Tap” was a metal band, making fun of the hair-band era, and this is what we wanted to do is bring it into a 2.0 version, you know. Where it was about what was going on at the time. There’s a lot of boy bands in Asia, a lot of boy bands in Europe and in the States happening and so, we wanted to use that as the premise to talk about all those topics. Actually, I wasn’t meant to direct it. We shopped the idea around to a bunch of different directors for awhile. And, because of the format of a fake documentary, a lot of the sort of narrative directors we were looking for didn’t really understand that concept. We just got frustrated, and we almost dropped the project. The one day I was just like, “Screw it. I’m going to do it.” So that’s how I became director, writer and producer of the whole thing! You know, because we couldn’t find anybody else to do it for us!

What did you shoot it on?

We shot it on (this is before HD cameras were available, right before), so we shot it on a Panasonic DVX 2000. It had a 24-frame rate that you could blow up to film. Because we knew we were going to blow it up to film at some point. And so we wanted a camera that would do that. Luckily, we knew some people at Panasonic, so we worked a couple of cameras from them. Plus, they had an anamorphic lens on it so you could shoot cinematic style instead of just a 4:3 format. It was good for us, because we shot 300 hours of footage, which you would never be able to do on film, because it would have just been too expensive. Because it was documentary style, it was fine to have that camera and do that. I was really happy with the blow up print. It ended up looking really good.

I saw your fight scene in “The Banquet” with the masked guards. That scene was choreographed by Yuen Woo-Ping. You’ve also worked a lot with Jackie Chan, and I know that he’s a big hero of yours. How has working with those people influenced your career?

I learned a great deal from them. I mean, I practiced martial arts my whole life. That doesn’t necessarily mean that you can do martial-arts movies. It’s a whole other art form. It’s completely different from what you learn in a martial arts studio. That’s more traditional martial arts, and you practice for an hour or two hours. But when you’re working on a film you could be doing a fight scene for a whole week. And you’re filming eight, nine hours a day. So it takes a certain kind of stamina. You have to know when to conserve your energy and when not to. You have to know constantly warming up and cooling down so you don’t get injured. And you’re working with stuff like wire work. I think working with masters like Yuen Woo-Ping and Jackie Chan who’ve been doing it for so many years, your learning curve is quick. And they’ve worked with so many people that they know how to ease you into the process so it wasn’t very difficult at first. It was great that I had the foundation of martial arts so I wasn’t a total newbie, and I didn’t have to go through three or six months of training like Keanu Reeves in “The Matrix.” I could just jump into it and do it. It was just a matter of being free in your mind to adapt to their style and be malleable to what they wanted to do.

You started the Wushu club here at the University. Where did that idea come from?

Mainly as a way to have a place to practice on my own. I’ve been doing Wushu since I was like, 11 in the Bay Area. When I came up here that wasn’t available. There was Karate and Taekwondo and Judo, but there wasn’t any Chinese martial arts. So I wanted to start a Chinese martial arts club, a Wushu club. I went down to the club sports office and asked them, “how can I do this?” I found out that if I signed up enough people, you can get a club started. I got 150 people to sign up and I think 60 people showed up on the first day of class. We had a really good core of people for that entire time, it was great. And then one of my students Brandon Sugiyama, who eventually taught the class when I left, got on the U.S. Wushu team afterwards. It’s great to see that they’re still there and they’re still doing it 15 years later. I’m really proud of that, actually. A seed became a tree.

continued next post

GeneChing
04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
here's the tai chi 0 part.

Are you working on writing and producing anything else for the future?

Yeah, last year I started a production company called Diversion Pictures with a friend of mine, Steven Fung, who’s also an actor and director. We actually got our start together, we did our first film together. He started directing way before me. I’d say, maybe 2000. He’s directed three or four projects. So we started this company last year. The China film industry is booming now, it’s just getting started. But as it’s getting started we’re seeing problems in terms of there’s not enough choice for the audiences. What happens is a lot of producers see one type of film be a success and everyone chases that and tries to do the same thing. For example “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.” Many years ago everybody was trying to do that second one. We don’t believe that works. We want to do innovative things where we can create niches or genres of films that people aren’t doing that exist here in the states but don’t exist in China. And we want to bring fun back into filmmaking. So, like, my first project Steven filmed, he directed it last year called “Tai Chi Zero” and “Tai Chi Hero;” it’s a two-part series, and we shot it all at once. What we’re trying to do is get back to the old-school Hong Kong “Once Upon a Time In China” Jet Li movies. Where it’s really crazy action, really fun, but now with the technologies that you have bring a whole new visual element. And we’ll throw in a rock ‘n’ roll soundtrack versus a traditional kind of gong soundtrack. Just make it more updated and focused on the youth audience. The problem now in China is that everybody is trying to make films that satisfy a five-year-old to an 80-year-old, and I don’t believe in that. The films that I saw growing up were age specific sometimes. Or for certain types of people. I don’t think a whole general sweep — you’re going to just create a saccharine, boring type of movie. That project is really directed toward a 16-, 25-, 30-year-old audience who’ve had exposure to western films through pirate DVDs and all that kind of stuff and want to see all that kind of fun stuff in Chinese cinema. The next project we’re putting together now is in pre-production. I’m starring in, and producing through our Diversion Pictures, “Control.” It’s going to be a modern film noir piece in the vein of “Sin City” and “Blade Runner,” because that’s not really being done in China as well. We’re starting that end of June. That’ll be our third project. So, we have a plan to get 10 movies out in the next five years.

What do you think are the primary roadblocks against Chinese cinema coming west to the U.S.?

I think it’s a multi-pronged issue. I think there’s one culturally. I think that Americans may not know much about Chinese culture and history. If you load up a film, let’s say, John Woo’s “Red Cliff,” which is based on a traditional, very famous ancient story, Americans may not be familiar with that. So, if you don’t shoot in a way that is explanatory for western audiences, it’s going to be difficult for them to digest. It didn’t do so well here because of that. The reason “Crouching Tiger” did so well is that it’s very simple. It’s a love story with an action piece in it. And that’s all it is. There’s no history. I’m not saying we should do historical films, but what I’m saying is that you can’t pack too much into a film. There’s only so much a person that is new to that genre of film can digest at one point. You’re also dealing with subtitles, you’re dealing with different actors and different faces that you don’t recognize from before. Then the story becomes too complex, it becomes hard for people to catch onto that stuff. It’s a complicated issue, and we’re trying to figure that out now in the Chinese film industry. Everybody is trying to make global films now, not just region-specific. Chinese people are trying to figure out what they can do to make more globalized films, and you also see Hollywood trying to push into China. What kind of films can Hollywood make that Chinese people would be interested in? You see big studios like Disney and Warner and MGM trying to move into China now. Because that’s a huge emerging market. 1.3 billion people, you know? Right now there’s around 6,000 in China by 2014 the government wants 20,000 screens. So you can imagine the revenue increase, the amount of screens increase and the amount of people wanting to see movies is going to huge in the next four or five years. It’s the only place in the world where you see film culture exploding like that. Of course, it’s very commercial and massed. But that’s just the start, and the other stuff can follow after that.

Hebrew Hammer
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Tai Chi Cyberpunk? Interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DMkUloRXo3s#!

The special effects on this dude's eyes are tight.

doug maverick
06-14-2012, 10:24 AM
its actually steam punk...not cyber punk aaaaand...we have this thread already. prepare for the merge...lol

Hebrew Hammer
06-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Be gentle Douglas...sometimes I just want to be held. What's the diff between cyber punk and steam punk?

Lucas
06-14-2012, 11:08 AM
steam punk is like steam engines, old crank driven wheel flying machines, flint locks, etc. in combination with 'punkish' themes of style

cyber punk generally involves the cyber world, electronics, hacking and futuristic worlds, lazers, cyborgs etc. with a 'punkish' theme of style.

time periods basically

Lucas
06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
you'll notice in steampunk a common renaissance-ish and early amercian, turn of the centuray europian theme. cogs, gears and wheels and steam power, and LOTS of goggles. where as in cyber punk you see more of a futuristic blending of man and machine, of being 'jacked in'

cyberpunk:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/072/6/6/CyberPunk_Girl_by_Skylow.jpg

steampunk:
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/94/04116e44b06c481eaa026e70950f4d23/l.jpg

Hebrew Hammer
06-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Awww I see...thanks for the clarification...never heard steam punk before.

Lucas
06-14-2012, 02:39 PM
i got your back bro!!! steampunk is more popular in comics and anime.

GeneChing
07-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Looks intriguing...

Tai Chi goes 3-D (http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/tai-chi-goes-3-d)
By Stephen Cremin
Tue, 17 July 2012, 15:36 PM (HKT)
Distribution News

http://www.filmbiz.asia/media/BAhbB1sHOgZmSSIsMjAxMi8wNy8xNy8wMC8yOS8wMi85MjcvdG FpX2NoaV9ib3guanBnBjoGRVRbCDoGcDoKdGh1bWJJIg01MDB4 MTAwMAY7BlQ?suffix=.jpg&sha=703b9541
Huayi Brothers Media Corporation 華誼兄弟傳媒股份有限公司 steampunk martial arts movie Tai Chi 0 太極之從零開始 and its sequel Tai Chi Hero 太極之英雄崛起 will be released in China in 3-D, one month apart in September and October.

Set in the early 19th century, the films are a fantastical retelling of the origins of tai chi martial arts based on real historical figures.

The films launch the movie career of competitive martial artist YUAN Xiaochao 袁曉超 ("The Freak") opposite Tony LEUNG Ka-fai 梁家輝 ("Master"), Angelababy 楊穎 ("Beauty"), Eddie PENG 彭于晏 ("Villain") and William FENG 馮紹峰 ("Rising Son").

The two films — in a planned trilogy — are directed by Stephen FUNG 馮德倫, and mark the first productions of his company Diversion Pictures, which he founded with Daniel WU 吳彥祖. Wu has a cameo role in the Tai Chi series.

According to company co-president James WANG Zhonglei 王中磊, the first two episodes were shot back-to-back over 284 days at a budget of RMB220 million ($34.5 million). The cost of 3-D conversion may add significantly to the budget.

Huayi's Painted Skin: The Resurrection 畫皮Ⅱ was recently released exclusively on 3-D prints in China. It had taken approximately RMB629 million (US$98.7 million) by Sunday night. Its 2-D version crossed US$1 million in Hong Kong this weekend.

Tai Chi 0's September date positions it during that National Day holidays, one of the most lucrative and competitive box office periods in China, the same slot as Huayi's Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame 狄仁杰之通天帝國 (2010).

Films that Tai Chi 0 may open against include Looper 環形使者 starring Bruce WILLIS, Double Xposure 二次曝光 starring FAN Bingbing 范冰冰, Switch 富春山居圖 starring Andy LAU 劉德華, Dangerous Liaisons 危險關係 starring ZHANG Ziyi 章子怡 and The Assassins 銅雀台 starring CHOW Yun-fat 周潤發.

"Taichi 0" Released International Character Posters (http://www.chinesefilms.cn/141/2012/06/13/241s10147.htm)
2012-06-13 16:05:2
http://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/06/13/3236e919b03946f59c45319a948c3434.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/06/13/6055f1b0ad344ce69e66eda611f6a5a0.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/06/13/3e31f790e1bd4c308d4d19586a67360d.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/06/13/613tj8.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/06/13/c3dfa50756be4a0681fd7ad8fdf8e22a.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/06/13/bc090bb4388549ab86ab2df529226572.jpg

GeneChing
07-20-2012, 09:32 AM
This is more Shanghai-Steampunky

Latest Poster of the New Taichi Trilogy Released (http://www.chinesefilms.cn/141/2012/07/17/122s10728.htm)
2012-07-17 11:11:42 Chinese Films

A batch of characters posters of the Kung Fu trilogy "Taichi" was released after a press conference which was held yesterday in Beijing. The first movie will be release on September 28, followed by the second installment on October 26. Both will be screened in 2D and 3D formats. [Photo: chinesefilms.cn]

http://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/07/17/9c6f6962fde64ccb9560955493581cb7.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/07/17/ac2e5c59ab534ff5b7b466b0bb61259a.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/07/17/f0dc32a738b34013a94d2a5295e9b9c9.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/07/17/dc976bbeab4644e892a9e4f9abbcb583.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/07/17/39d4f86f14474da881e9037551a9ca71.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/07/17/1755400be05b43ff9bf3e294166de3ce.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/07/17/dc48062cf08b4de68fda9427475313a8.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/07/17/9f89796137c04436923ed0a9d682dde4.jpghttp://www.chinesefilms.cn/mmsource/images/2012/07/17/77857d287ccd4c968c39054dd3d25ce2.jpg

GeneChing
07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
New trailer w/subs: TAICHI 0 《太極之從零開始》 9月27日強勢出撃 (www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGl-QQVtRLQ)

Venice Fest Lineup Includes Steampunk Martial Arts Actioner TAI CHI 0 (http://www.quietearth.us/articles/2012/07/Venice-Fest-Lineup-Includes-Steampunk-Martial-Arts-Actioner-TAI-CHI-0)
quietearth [Film Festival 07.27.12]

The Venice International Film Festival has unveiled its full lineup, minus one in competition pick to come, and it includes 50 world premiers. While I haven't had time to go through any of the films, the most noteworthy with a glance is Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers and steampunk martial arts flick Tai Chi 0. We'll have more on the films below this weekend.

In Competition
Something In The Air (Apres Mai), dir Olivier Assayas (France)
At Any Price, dir Ramin Bahrani (US-UK)
Dormant Beauty (Bella Addormentata), dir Marco Bellocchio (Italy-France)
La Cinquieme Saison, dirs Peter Brosens and Jessica Woodworth (Belgium-Netherlands-France)
Fill The Void (Lemale Et Ha’Chalal), dir Rama Burshtein (Israel)
E Stato il Figlio, dir Daniele Cipri (Italy-France)
Un Giorno Speciale, dir Francesca Comencini (Italy)
Passion, dir Brian De Palma (France-Germany)
Superstar, dir Xavier Giannoli (France-Belgium)
Pieta, dir Kim Ki-duk (South Korea)
Outrage Beyond, dir Takeshi Kitano (Japan)
Spring Breakers, dir Harmony Korine (US)
To The Wonder, dir Terrence Malick (US)
Thy Womb (Sinapupunan), dir Brillante Mendoza (Philippines)
Linhas de Wellington, dir Valeria Sarmiento (Portugal-France)
Paradise: Faith (Paradies: Glaube), dir Ulrich Seidl (Austria-France-Germany)
Betrayal (Izmena), dir Kirill Serebrennikov (Russia)

Out of Competition
L’homme qui rit, dir Jean-Pierre Ameris (France-Czech Republic)
Love Is All You Need (Den skaldede frisor), dir Susanne Bier (Denmark-Sweden)
Cherchez Hortense, dir Pascal Bonitzer (France)
Sur un fil…, dir Simon Brook (France-Italy)
Enzo Avitabile Music Life, dir Jonathan Demme (Italy-US)
Tai Chi 0, dir Stephen Fung (China)
Lullaby To My Father, dir Amos Gitai (Israel-France-Switzerland)
Penance (Shokuzai), dir Kiyoshi Kurosawa (Japan)
Bad 25, dir Spike Lee (US)
The Reluctant Fundamentalist, dir Mira Nair (India-Pakistan-US)
O Gebo e a Sombra, dir Manoel de Oliveira (Portugal-France)
The Company You Keep, dir Robert Redford (US)
Shark (Bait 3D), dir Kimble Rendall (Australia-Singapore-China)
Disconnect, dir Henry-Alex Rubin (US)
The Iceman, dir Ariel Vromen (US)

Out of competition - special events
Anton’s Right Here (Anton tut ryadom), dir Lyubov Arkus (Russia)
It Was Better Tomorrow (Ya Man Aach), dir Hinde Boujemaa (Tunisia)
Clarisse, dir Liliana Cavani (Italy)
Sfiorando il muro, dirs Silvia Giralucci and Luca Ricciardi (Italy)
Carmel, dir Amos Gitai (Israel-France-Italy)
El impenetrable, dirs Daniele Incalcaterra and Fausta Quattrini (Argentina-France)
Witness: Libya, dir Michael Mann (US)
Medici con l’Africa, dir Carlo Mazzacurati (Italy)
La nave dolce, dir Daniele Vicari (Italy-Albania)

Orrizonti (Horizons) features
Wadjda, dir Haifaa Al Mansour (Saudi Arabia-Germany)
The Paternal House (Khaneh Pedari), dir Kianoosh Ayari (Iran)
I Also Want It (Ja Tozhe Hochu), dir Alexey Balabanov (Russia)
Gli Equilibristi, dir Ivano De Matteo (Italy-France)
L’intervallo, dir Leonardo Di Costanzo (Italy-Switzerland-Germany)
Winter of Discontent (El Sheita Elli Fat), dir Ibrahim El Batout (Egypt)
Tango Libre, dir Frederic Fonteyne (Belgium-France-Luxembourg)
The Cutoff Man (Menatek Ha-Maim), dir Idan Hubel (Israel)
Fly With The Crane (Gaosu tame, wo cheng baihe qu le), dir Li Ruijun (China)
A Hijacking (Kapringen), dir Tobias Lindholm (Denmark)
Leones, dir Jazmin Lopez (Argentina-France-Netherlands)
Bellas Mariposas, dir Salvatore Mereu (Italy)
Low Tide, dir Roberto Minervini (US-Italy-Belgium)
Boxing Day, dir Bernard Rose (UK-US)
Yema, dir Djamila Sahraoui (Algeria-France)
Araf - Somewhere In Between, dir Yesim Ustaoglu (Turkey-France-Germany)
The Millennial Rapture (Sennen no Yuraku), dir Koji Wakamatsu (Japan)
Three Sisters (San Zi Mei), dir Wang Bing (France-Hong Kong-China)

Venice Days
Inheritance, Hiam Abbas (France, Israel, Turkey)
Queen of Montreuil, Solveig Anspach (France)
Keep Smiling, Rusudan Chkonia (France, Georgia, Luxembourg)
Blondie, Jesper Ganslandt (Sweden)
The Weight, Jeon Kyu-hwan (South Korea)
Epilogue, Amir Manor (Israel)
Il Gemello, Vincenzo Marra (Italy)
Acciaio, Stefano Mordini (Italy)
Stories We Tell, Sarah Polley (Canada)
Kinshasa Kids, Mari-Henri Wajnberg (Belgium/France)

Special events
Bob Wilson's Life and Death of Marina Abramovic, Giada Colagrande (Italy)
Terramatta -- Il Novecento Italiano di Vincenzo Rabito Analfabeta Siciliano, Costanza Quatriglio (Italy)
L'uomo che amava il cinema, Marco Segato (Italy)
Non mi avete convinto, Filippo Vendemmiati (Italy)
6 sull'autobus, Simone Dante Antonelli, Giacomo Bisordi, Rita de Donato, Irene di Lelio, Antonio Ligas, Emiliano Russo (Italy)

GeneChing
08-24-2012, 10:11 AM
We're starting to see some very interesting marketing of Chinese films in the U.S. :)

Film Screening - Tai Chi 0 (http://china.usc.edu/%28A%28IFvnMQe4zQEkAAAAMGExMGIyOTAtOTM5Yi00NjdhLWF jMzctN2FiNjk0ZDEyNzA1YQclYmAGZEp5UxLsc9cx8w_WUxI1% 29S%28nuwaxv45ajp3kr55eajqnf45%29%29/ShowEvent.aspx?EventID=3831&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1)
http://china.usc.edu/(A(IFvnMQe4zQEkAAAAMGExMGIyOTAtOTM5Yi00NjdhLWFjMzc tN2FiNjk0ZDEyNzA1YQclYmAGZEp5UxLsc9cx8w_WUxI1)S(nu waxv45ajp3kr55eajqnf45))/App_images/Tai-Chi-0-Poster.gif
Tai Chi 0 tells the story of Yang Luchan, a young genius who, tired of being picked on, travels to Chen Village to learn the art of Tai Chi.
10/14/2012 3:00PM - 5:00PM

The Ray Stark Family Theatre, George Lucas Building, SCA 108
Address: 900 W. 34th Street, Los Angeles, California 90007
Cost: Free, please RSVP.

Directed by Stephen Fung
Written by Chen Kuofu
Produced by Chen Kuofu and Jet Li

Opens on Tuesday, October 16th

From the creators of Detective Dee and Ip Man, featuring martial arts choreography by the legendary Sammo Hung (Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster), Tai Chi 0 tells the story of Yang Luchan, a young genius who, tired of being picked on, travels to Chen Village to learn the art of Tai Chi. Luchan finds out the hard way that it is forbidden for a villager to teach an outsider when the villagers, from strong men to old women to little children, repeatedly challenge him to a series of fights, all of which he loses quite badly.

But when a frightening army of steampunk soldiers bearing strange machines shows up, the villagers realize that in order to save their home, they must trust this strange outsider with the knowledge of Tai Chi. Directed by Stephen Fung, Tai Chi 0 is the first of a planned trilogy.

Provided courtesy of Well Go USA. Unrated. In Mandarin, with English subtitles.

To learn more about the film and to view the trailer, click here

Visit the Official Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TaiChiZero

doug maverick
08-26-2012, 08:43 AM
We're starting to see some very interesting marketing of Chinese films in the U.S. :)

its all about the martial punk! i called it.

Tao Of The Fist
08-26-2012, 09:03 AM
On the topic of "Taichi 0", one of the cast wrote a behind the scenes article for an online piece...

http://www.theworldofchinese.com/2012/01/behind-the-scenes-on-the-set-of-tai-chi-0/

http://www.theworldofchinese.com/2012/01/on-the-set-of-tai-chi-0-part-2/

http://www.theworldofchinese.com/2012/01/on-the-set-of-tai-chi-0-part-3/

http://www.theworldofchinese.com/2012/01/on-the-set-of-tai-chi-0-part-4/

http://www.theworldofchinese.com/2012/01/on-the-set-of-tai-chi-0-part-5/

GeneChing
08-30-2012, 09:25 AM
I initially titled this Tai Chi Trilogy, but I'm changing that to Tai Chi 0. We'll pick up with Tai Chi Hero when it comes out.

Venice Film Festival 2012: 'Tai Chi 0' review (http://www.cine-vue.com/2012/08/venice-film-festival-2012-tai-chi-0.html)
★★★☆☆
Directed by Stephen Fung, choreographed by Sammo Hung and starring a whole host of Kung Fu legends, Tai Chi 0 (2012) is a kinetic frenzy of a movie, whose giddy inventiveness will be far too much for some, but a giggle for anyone who enjoys the frenetic quality of filmed martial arts. Those grasping for comparison pieces would be best off visualising a heady blend of Shaolin Soccer (2001) and Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010) - without the insipid irritant that is Michael Cera.

Fung's film follows the story of martial arts prodigy Yang Lu Chan (Yuan Xiaochao), who is born with a special gift - a horn-like lump of flesh that when struck turns him into a demonic fighting machine. Able to instantly copy every move of Kung Fu he witnesses, Lu Chan is adopted and exploited by a master who recruits him to the army of 'Divine Warriors', before being thrown into the fray. After one such battle, a kindly doctor tells him that his gift is killing him - and that when his horn becomes black, his death is nigh,

It transpire that the only way Lu Chan can save his own life is to travel to Chen Village and study Tai Chi under Master Chen himself. This he endeavours to do, only to find that the village has a very, very strict policy of not teaching their moves to an outsider. What's more, the village also finds itself threatened by the building of a new railway, pioneered by the weakling villain who is betrothed to marry Master Chen's daughter (Angelababy).

Tai Chi 0 is full of irreverent jokes and some frankly bonkers nonsense. The influence of video games upon Fung is apparent not only in his visual style (complete with eye-popping graphics), but also the structure of his film's narrative, with Lu Chan having to complete his task in a series of levels. Also added to this Manga-style-melee are some very busy subtitles, as well as a whole section of Lu Chan's back story played out as a black and white silent movie. Hung's fight scenes are similarly fun, brief and refreshingly inventive - if you've ever see a fruit and veg battle as good as the one in Tai Chi 0, we'll eat our own nunchucked turnips.

The influence of Western cinema crops up in the form of femme fatale figure Clare Heathrow and a monstrous railway-making tank that's pure steam punk. But this is no simple tale of Chinese tradition beating off Western industrialisation. The film's heroine, Master Chen's daughter, is someone who sees the benefit of the West, with Chen himself a huge fan of the phonograph. With luck, Fung's Tai Chi 0 will make its way to our shores in the near future, with its sequel - Tai Chi Hero - already nearing completion.

GeneChing
08-30-2012, 09:28 AM
There are a few more floating around the web in the wake of Venice. Sounds like this was well received overall.

Tai Chi 0 (http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/the-latest/tai-chi-0/5045822.article?blocktitle=Latest-Reviews&contentID=1479)
30 August, 2012 | By Mark Adams, chief film critic
Dir: Stephen Fung. Hong Kong China. 2012. 95mins
http://www.screendaily.com/pictures/586xAny/4/1/8/1158418_tai_chi_0.jpg

Big, bold and glossy and blending comic-book style effects with martial arts mayhem - and with a little steampunk aesthetic thrown in for good measure – Stephen Fung’s enjoyably off-the-wall action film is a real guilty pleasure big screen experience and despite more than a few mis-steps really does deliver.

Tai Chi 0 – or Tai Chi Zero as its on-screen credit reads, which makes more sense given its upcoming sequel is titled Tai Chi Hero – sensibly never takes itself (or its genre) overly seriously and is simply there to deliver special effects driven kinetic martial arts action. And deliver it does.

The film, directed by actor-turned-director Stephen Fung (Gen-X Cops), screened out of competition at Venice (the festival always likes to throw in a wild and crazy martial arts film into its mix, last year it was the probably more bonkers The Sorcerer And The White Snake), is intended to be the first in a trilogy that details – extremely loosely – the story of Yang Luchan, the inventor of Tai Chi.

The film opens – in familiar martial arts epic style – on the battlefield, where the focus is Lu Chuan (Yuan Xiaochao), known since he was born as ‘The Freak’ due to the fact he was born with an small horn-like bump on the side of his head that when hit turns him into a martial arts demon for a brief time, but leaves him drained and increasingly ill.

Advised that he needs to find training on a form of inner kung fu, he seeks out the remote Chen village and a master to teach him. But the villagers forbid teaching their style of martial arts to outsiders, and repeatedly fight him off. He has several run-ins with the beautiful Yuniang (Angelababy, whose real name is Angela Yeung Wing), who is the granddaughter of the master, who seems to have vanished from the village.

Things are doubly complicated due to the arrival of Yuniang’s long time fiancé (Eddie Peng), whose has studied in London and now wears Western clothes and is working with the rail company to deliver a railroad through the village.

Unsurprisingly the locals aren’t too thrilled about the arrival of the railroad – just like in any Western that has used a similar storyline – and reject his plans. He is a man with a mission, though, and arrives back at the village inside a massive steam-belching, iron-plated, machine that trundles towards the village laying train track in its wake, and guarded by a squad of gun-toting soldiers.

It is a wonderfully styled bit is Victorian steampunk construction (rather reminiscent of the contraptions in Wild, Wild West, but in a good way), and naturally acts as a plot device for Lu Chuan - who is being advised by a mysterious local ‘labourer’ (Tony Leung Ka-fai) – to try and save the village and also win-over Yuniang.

The film is littered with playful and often mischievous cinematic quirks – ranging from usual slo-mo and wire work through to filters and a silent film homage – though most odd are part-animated sequences that refer to video games and scores (in a similar fashion to Scott Pilgrim vs The World) and a unique way of introducing new characters – when they make their first screen appearance there is a caption (and an arrow pointing to them) detailing their cast name, along with actor’s real name and what they might be best known for…whether it be a martial arts champion from a specific year, or in the case of the cameo by Infernal Affairs’ director Andrew Lau, a caption simply explaining he is ‘Andrew Lau, director of Infernal Affairs’.

The cinematography and production design are excellent, though despite its freewheeling nature Tai Chi 0 is not without its faults. Some of the dialogue is overly stilted and Yuan Xiaochao tends to act with enthusiasm rather than technique, plus a romance subplot between Eddie Peng’s character and a British woman (his equal at the railroad company and attired similarly in manly Western clothes) never convinces, and for some reason is fumblingly performed in English.

The film ends with essentially a trailer – or at least a series of extracts – for sequel Tai Chi Hero, which hints at further training for Lu Chuan at the (by the look of it) increasingly tender hands of Yuniang, and plenty of action scenes, with actor Peter Stormare to be spotted briefly in amongst the new cast members.

Production companies: Diversion Pictures Ltd., Huayi Brothers Media Corporation
International sales: Huayi Brothers International, www.hbpictures.com
Screenplay: Cheng Hsaio-tse, Jialu Zhang
Cinematography: Ngor Chi-kwan, Lai Yiu-fai, Du Jie
Editors: Cheng Hsiao-tse, Matthew Hui, Zhang Jialu, Zhang Weili
Production designer: Yip Kam-tiam
Music: Katsunori Ishida
Main cast: Yuan Xiaochao, Angelababy, Eddie Peng, Tony Leung Ka-fai, William Feng, Shu Qi, Feng Shaofeng

GeneChing
09-04-2012, 09:36 AM
After seeing FSoDG on the big screen (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1185639#post1185639), I'm very optimistic that this too will show in U.S. theaters

1st in Chinese action trilogy premiers in Venice (http://qctimes.com/entertainment/movies/st-in-chinese-action-trilogy-premiers-in-venice/article_dd0956a4-8df3-5f8f-ad88-2f34b2d51812.html)

http://qctimes.com/entertainment/movies/st-in-chinese-action-trilogy-premiers-in-venice/article_dd0956a4-8df3-5f8f-ad88-2f34b2d51812.html (http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/qctimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/ec/aec27e16-a359-50d4-ba49-1faec0f0e3a4/504626d679ae8.preview-620.jpg)
FILE- Director Stephen Fung poses for portraits for the film 'Tai Chi 0' at the 69th edition of the Venice Film Festival in Venice, Italy, in this file photo dated Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012. Fung has incorporated comic book-style graphic and heavy metal music into his movie ''Tai Chi 0,'' as he reaches for a younger and perhaps global audience in his new martial arts film, the first installment of a trilogy. (AP Photo/Domenico Stinellis, File)
September 02, 2012 6:38 am • Associated Press

Director Stephen Fung has incorporated comic book-style graphics and heavy metal music into `'Tai Chi 0," as he reaches for a younger and perhaps global audience in his new martial arts trilogy.

`'We wanted to do something new, something that is not what you usually see in the traditional kung fu movie," Fung said. `'We wanted to break barriers. We wanted to test out the market."

`'Tai Chi 0," the first installment in the trilogy, made its world premiere out of competition at the Venice Film Festival this week, ahead of its late September release in China, followed by the rest of Asia.

Fung already has the sequel ready for release a month later, and he's hoping strong audience response will guarantee he can make the third.

The big budget Chinese production brings together the Victorian age steam energy with high octane fight scenes.

The film is set during the dawn of industrialization, but the filmmakers readily mix in high-tech modern touches, including comic book graphics, to introduce chapters and graphic overlays to map the trajectory of the martial arts moves.

In the film, Yang Chi, played by martial arts champion Yuan Xiaochao, is born with a rare gift for marital arts, and his mother on her deathbed urges him to pursue his potential. Yang's journey takes him to a remote village that is famed for its particularly powerful form of tai chi _ but only natives are allowed to learn it.

As Yang continues to run up against village resistance, a local man returns from abroad with a steam-powered locomotive _ a fantastic iron monster operated from its cavernous inside as a sort-of submarine on rails.

Tony Leung Ka Fai, 54, known for his roles in auteur films such as `'The Lover," plays the village tai chi master whose job it is to defend the town from the modern intruder while protecting its martial arts tradition.

`'For 30 years, no director has discovered my skill in wushu (China's martial arts form). Now as I go into retirement, I had this opportunity to do a wushu film," he said.

doug maverick
09-08-2012, 07:25 PM
After seeing FSoDG on the big screen (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1185639#post1185639), I'm very optimistic that this too will show in U.S. theaters

i think your optimism was right on the money..its coming out on the 27th.

GeneChing
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Where did you hear that?

Tai Chi 0: Venice Review (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/tai-chi-0-venice-review-367179)
11:24 AM PDT 8/31/2012 by Deborah Young

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2012/08/venice_film_festival_tai_chi_0.jpg
The Bottom Line
First chapter in a Chinese action trilogy introducing “steampunk kungfu” is manic, disjointed fun for younger fantasy fans.

Venue
Venice Film Festival

Cast
Yuan Xiaochan, Angelababy, Eddie Peng, Tony Leung Ka-fai, Shu Qi

Director
Stephen Fung

Screenwriter
Kuo-fu Chen

Stephen Fung's much-awaited steampunk kung-fu actioner showcases stars Tony Leung Ka-fai, Eddie Peng and Shu Qi.

Victorian age steam energy meets kick-ass martial arts in a wacky, hyper, head-on collision, Tai Chi 0, an exuberant attempt to weld steampunk to kungfu in a big-budget Chinese actioner. Successful? Hardcore teenage fantasy fans and video-gamers may find director Stephen Fung’s brand of irreverent comedy irresistible, but viewers past the youngest demographics will tune out to the threadbare comic book-style story and childish characters, though not without a few amazed laughs at the inventive audacity of the project. The first of a promised trilogy produced by China’s Huayi Brothers (Tai Chi Hero is announced for later this fall), it will be released in Australia and Asia following the film’s Venice and Toronto bows, and in the U.S. in October by Variance Films.
our editor recommends
Cannes 2012: Saudi Arabia's First Female Director Brings 'Wadjda' to Fest
Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame -- Film Review

From the creators of the hybrid hit Shaolin Soccer and the visual marvel Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame, Tai Chi 0 takes a decidedly more laid-back approach to story-telling. The opening scene makes a comic virtue out of its disjointed editing, as it introduces goofy but likable young hero Yang Luchan (wushu star-turned-actor Yuan Xiaochan), known as “the Freak” on account of a small horn of flesh protruding from his head. This, it turns out, is the mark of a martial arts genius. When hit on the horn, he turns into a raging demon fighter undefeatable in battle. Everything is humorously signalled in letters superimposed over the screen, a technique used throughout the film that grows old rather quickly.

Suddenly a flashback to Luchan’s babyhood is required. In one of Fung’s best gags, it’s filmed as a spoof on silent films with dialogue written in old-fashioned inter-titles. As Luchan’s mother, the lovely face of Shu Qi appears, first of Tai Chi’s parade of star cameos. (Actors are duly announced with on-screen pop-up credits.) Convinced of her son’s potential as a future kung fu master, she steals from her elderly husband to ensure his future, with tragic consequences.

Back to the battle. After losing his master in a firestorm perpetrated by the Imperial forces, Luchan escapes in search of the legendary Chen village, where he plans to learn unique local tai chi techniques that will make him a master. The only hitch is that the villagers refuse to teach outsiders, and each time he applies for lessons, he’s soundly beaten by young and old alike, in amusingly off-the-wall action sequences choreographed by the renowned Sammo Hung. Only a solitary old workman (Tony Leung Ka-fai) befriends him and, although he can’t teach him, wisely advises him to copy the moves of his attackers.

Among the host of characters who live in Chen village is charming Yu Niang (rom com star Angelababy), daughter of the elusive master that Luchan is seeking. Her imperturbable expression and graceful tai chi moves reduce his body to a pulp while they capture his heart. Unfortunately for him, she’s already in love with Anglophile Zijing (heart-throb Eddie Peng), who appears dressed to the hilt in a waistcoat and stovepipe hat, while Yu Niang tries to impress him in an empire dress and braided hair. Zijing’s new-fangled ideas from England are snubbed by the Chen traditionalists. He’s supposed to personify the evil Western industrial revolution that is about to overrun China, but in its typically careless, wishy-washy style, the film also suggests some innovations like electricity and the gramophone might not be so bad.

Zijing’s villainy is finally clarified when he reappears inside a steam-run metal monster hell-bent on destroying the village. It’s manned by English soldiers and captained by Claire, a deliciously frilly British officer he plans to marry. At this point the script is truly out of control, but audiences who have followed it this far will probably not fret about the details. There are plenty of gags still to come, including a fruit and vegetable battle with more Imperial forces, and marvellous cogs and gears to admire inside the steam monster which echo, on a much smaller scale, the extraordinary sets of Tsui Hark’s Detective Dee.

The film ends abruptly with end credits rolling at unreadable, breakneck speed, then a Hollywood-style trailer for the sequel, when the umpteen loose ends will presumably be tied up.

Venue: Venice Film Festival, Aug. 27, 2012.
Production companies: Huayi Brothers, Taihe Investment, Diversion Pictures
Cast: Eddie Peng, Angelababy, Tony Leung Ka-Fai, Daniel Wu, Shu Qi,
Screenwriter: Kuo-fu Chen
Director: Stephen Fung
Producer: Wang Zhongjun
Director of photography: Yiu Fai Lai
Production and costume designer: Yip Kam-tim
Editors: Cheng Hsaio-tse, Matthew Hui, Zhang Jialu, Zhang Weili
Music: Katsunori Ishida
Sales Agent: Huayi Brothers International
No rating, 99 minutes.

doug maverick
09-10-2012, 10:30 AM
this was according to imdb, but now well go usa who has the north american right says oct. 19..which sucks. i inquired about it.

GeneChing
09-17-2012, 09:43 AM
An article I posted last week (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1187759#post1187759) said "Tai Chi Zero 太極1 從零開始 on 27 Sep, followed by Tai Chi Hero 太極2 英雄崛起 on 25 Oct and Jackie CHAN 成龍's Chinese Zodiac 十二生肖 on 20 Dec." The thing is, there's been little talk of TCH yet. I've been waiting for more on that since I changed the title of this from Tai Chi Trilogy to Tai Chi 0, so as to start a second Tai Chi Hero thread. Usually they give a little more space between first film and sequel.

If you hear anything (not just Doug, all of you) please do post it here. I don't want to miss this one on the big screen.

GeneChing
09-21-2012, 10:04 AM
3D IMAX. I'm so there.

Tai Chi Zero: An IMAX 3D Experience (http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/movies/tai-chi-zero-an-imax-3d-experience,1239484.html)
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/gog/images/movieposters/142169h1.jpg
Genre: Action/Adventure

Starring: Daniel Wu, Qi Shu, Tony Leung Ka Fai, Angelababy, Paul Philip Clark, Eddie Peng, Pierre Bourdaud, Marc Goodman, David Trook

Director: Stephen Feng

Running Time: 1:34

Release Date: Opens Oct 19, 2012

GeneChing
09-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Meanwhile, check out the new trailer.

Tai Chi Zero Exclusive Trailer [HD] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LSX_UH0F9g)

GeneChing
09-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Remember the Edison Chen scandal (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50226)? I didn't connect it with Fung until this interview.

Stephen Fung Talks Finding The Next Generation For TAI CHI ZERO (http://twitchfilm.com/2012/09/stephen-fung-talks-finding-the-next-generation-for-tai-chi-zero.html)
Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

Stephen Fung was on top of the world in 2005. The popular actor had made a successful transition to directing with both his debut feature, Enter The Phoenix, and sop****re effort, House Of Fury, embraced by fans and critics alike. Fung appeared poised to be one of the leaders of a new wave of Hong Kong directors, popular figures who embraced and engaged the young audience in a way that the old guard no longer could.

And then Edison Chen happened.

In the midst of production on Fung's third feature, Jump, his leading man was caught up in the midst of the biggest sex scandal in Hong Kong entertainment history. Through no fault of his own, Fung's third effort was a catastrophe and the talented young director simply dropped off the map.

But no more. Fung arrived to great fanfare at both the Venice and Toronto film festivals with his latest effort, Tai Chi Zero. The first of a two part film - with a third being prepared as well - Tai Chi Zero aims to do nothing less than to reinvigorate the Chinese martial arts movie with a fresh style, fresh energy and a new star. I had the chance to speak with Fung about the film in Toronto and present that conversation now, prior to the film's US debut at Fantastic Fest.

Twitch: I'd like to ask you about the process of setting this film up. It's so much larger than your previous movies and there were so many problems on JUMP - which had nothing to do with you, obviously - plus making the transition to working in the mainland. What was the process of getting something like this started up?

Fung: I think it really helps to have a big studio behind you, like Huayi Brothers. They're obviously a mainland China studio and it is their intention to invest in big projects like TAI CHI because they believe that audiences want to see something new out of kung fu movies. Our producer Chen Kuo-fu, who also wrote the script, also believed in this and wanted to do something that could break new ground. And they knew that to break new ground the budget had to be bigger, because they're testing out new waters. We didn't want to do an experimental tai chi movie, where you just try out a little bit. It's better to at least try to go all the way.

There's a certain irreverence to the humor in your earlier films. Were there any concerns at all about whether you would have to modify you style and approach when working in the mainland? The censorship rules are just different there.

For TAI CHI ZERO it wasn't an issue because we weren't touching on any sensitive material. It's also never been my style to ... I guess in my first movie, ENTER THE PHOENIX, I dealt with gangsters and ****sexuals which may be sensitive to censorship in China, but in this particular case it worked fine. I didn't have to deliberately try to shy away from a certain kind of humor because that humor just wasn't there in the first place.

One thing that I really loved about the movie is how well I think you balance a sense of respect for the Golden Era, the 1980s kung fu comedies, while really pushing into a new era. Particularly how you brought in the old stars and made a really deliberate point of making sure everyone knew who they were and then let them do their thing. When you started doing that were there particular people you had in mind? Stars you had particular connections to or fondness for from your youth?

Yes. The reasoning behind having descriptions behind them, putting their resumes on screen, that started when we thought we should do it to the main character, Jayden Yuan. He's a newcomer, had never done anything on screen before. So we thought we'd give him a description - he's an Olympic wushu gold medalist - that people would focus less on acting. [laughs] Managing expectations! He's a kung fu guy, he's never done any film before!

He's fun! He's got really good screen charisma!

Yes, I think he does! But it was down the road a bit where we could really see that and be really comfortable. So we thought at the beginning that maybe we should ease audiences into their acting. And then we just thought, "That was actually quite fun, how about we put descriptions for EVERYBODY?!" Except the ones you know very well, like Shu Qi. We didn't need to do anything for them. There are a lot ... I just wouldn't call a lot of the cast professional actors or actresses. Like Mandy, she's a top model in Hong Kong. So we put that description on.

When you were choosing the 70s and 80s stars, were there reasons you chose those particular people? Were they stars you followed growing up?

Some of them are. I actually got an interesting question before from a reporter who asked whether I was trying to make a sort of EXPENDABLES movie with all these 70s stars in it. And no, it wasn't that, I just thought these particular guys would suit the roles really well. That was it.

It almost feels like you're passing the torch. You have these people from the previous generation who laid the groundwork for all of this playing against all of these new faces. The problem with Chinese speaking kung fu movies in the past ten years or more is that there just haven't been any new stars. But now in this cast you have the older guys, who laid down the groundwork, then you skip the current generation and you obviously went out of your way to find a whole lot of new people. Here's the past, here's the future, let's go.

Yes, yes. That's also why we wanted to cast a newcomer, since this whole project is based on trying to break new ground. There just hasn't been a new martial artist who has really broken out and we were trying to find one. And Jayden seems to be right for this character. He's a very shy guy and he seems to fit right in.

In terms of some of your style choices, what I heard people talking about after the screening were films like SCOTT PILGRIM VERSUS THE WORLD. Both SCOTT and TAI CHI ZERO really approach the material like a graphic novel, in the framing and editing and all the captioning you do. And the captioning is really funny, by the way, it works even in translation.

I think that comes out of just what I'm used to, what my hobbies were as a kid. And I studied graphic design when I was attending school in Michigan. Yeah, I guess all of the above ... the mix of genres became a mixed bag of inspiration for me.

Were there particular films out of China that you looked at? Other directors who you think of as the young generation who are going to change things?

I think Pang Ho-cheung. He is a director who I really like. He sticks to his own style, his snappy dialogue. His new movie VULGARIA he shot for just twelve days and it's having huge success in Hong Kong. I like him a lot. I like Wilson Yip a lot. He's still pretty young, too. I think it's interesting that there are different kinds of directors and films, from Pang doing a film in twelve days to us doing this massive project in three hundred days. It's an interesting time.

I know the second film is definitely coming very soon but there is talk of a third one as well. Is that happening?

Yes! We are working on the script right now. I hope the first two do so well that we can increase the budget for the third one.

Have there been press screenings in China yet? Any idea how the local audience will respond?

No, just Venice and Toronto. I anticipate that some will like it and some will hate it, but they're going to talk about it.

Now, I was in Hong Kong right around when the Edison Chen thing happened and I had been following JUMP really closely because I had really enjoyed HOUSE OF FURY and wanted to see what would happen for you next. And what happened was Edison. I can only imagine that when that happened it must have felt like your career blowing up.

Yes, though at first I didn't realize just to what magnitude the scandal would be. I saw the photos and at first I was still in disbelief, that things could have been photoshopped. That was my first reaction. And then I learned that they're real and the magnitude of the incident was just unbelievable. For two weeks in a row, every day in the newspapers it was the A1 cover story. That's unheard of. They were just talking about the same thing every day for two weeks. And it became a real issue because that film was shot in China and we were expecting a good response from the mainland Chinese market.

The worst part of that whole thing for me was that if the producers had decided not to release in China then we could have just kept Edison in and not had to reshoot it. It just would not have been shown in mainland China but could make some money in other territories. But they still wanted the Chinese market so we had to change a lot of things so that we could reshoot his part within the budget we had. And now it's the way it is. And it didn't do well in China anyway. It didn't do well anywhere.

Does it feel like a certain amount of vindication for you now that you're clear of that and you've done this and been embraced by two of the largest film festivals in the world? Does it feel good to be done?

Yes, absolutely. While I was shooting this movie I was really able to let go of the whole incident with JUMP.

GeneChing
09-24-2012, 09:32 AM
TC0: China 9/27; US 10/19
TCH: China 10/25; US ?

I suppose we should start a TCH thread soon. Maybe when someone finds a trailer...

Packing a punch (http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/735022.shtml)
Global Times | 2012-9-24 20:05:03
By Shen Lili

Young Hong Kong director Stephen Fung, who used to be a household name, wants to make kung fu movies popular again and so has made a kung fu trilogy. Taichi is already being advertised around town and the first two movies will hit the cinemas on September 27 and October 25 respectively.

Starring Yuan Xiaochao, Tony Leung (Leung Ka Fai), Angelababy, Shu Qi and Daniel Wu, a cast combining talented veterans and popular idols, the movie tells the story of Yang Luchan (Yuan Xiaochao), who lives in the late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), an era of great domestic strife and foreign aggression. Yang competes against the best tai chi master of his time.

Moving away from tradition

The producer Wang Zhonglei officially stated to the public that the Taichi trilogy overturns the tradition of Chinese kung fu movies. According to him, this time their marketing group defined the movie as a "hybrid kung fu movie," which he believes is very accurate. He said Taichi, from the aspects of type, plot and cast, diversifies the Chinese movie genre to make it fresh.

Feng's mission is worthy of admiration. It is no small venture to make such a big-budget production, which involved a 220 million-yuan ($34.9 million) investment, when the kung fu movie genre is in the depths of depression.

Taichi does make a bold attempt to be inventive. The movie employs elements from cartoons and video games. However, this creative undertaking seems to have both pros and cons.

Its supporters appreciate the creative spirit of the director. When the tricks of Jacky Chan and Jet Li that once surprised audiences became clichés copied thousands of times in fighting scenes, bored audiences became eager for something new, and Taichi gives this to them.

"Looking at a preview of Taichi, it can be seen that the movie itself is an attempt by a young director to add something new to kung fu movies. He adds a lot of modern elements into the movie, not only displaying the acrobatic fighting, but also involving high-tech methods and special effects," said movie critic Tomato Queen, who is popular on the Internet.

"Even the theme music is a breakthrough. It is of an electronic rock style," he told the Global Times. The critic defined Taichi as a "special fashion of kung fu movie." He thinks it's exaggerated to say it will save movies of its type from decline, but it's certainly an encouraging exploration for modern kung fu movies.

Possibly novelty is the key to revive an industry in decline. According to Kong Fu Time, a blogger on Sina Weibo focusing on kung fu movies, pure kung fu movies are not necessarily welcomed anymore.

Therefore "diversification and creation turn out to be good things for kung fu movies to stand out among numerous and various kinds of movies," he told the Global Times.

Fight for survival

But different from many other types of movies, kung fu movies should still focus on the fighting part. Innovations should be concentrated on the acrobatic fighting scenes.

Wu Ya'nan, a tai chi player who has won champions in many world martial art competitions, hopes this one will be different from previous works on tai chi. "As a tai chi player, I expect to see a new representation of tai chi in the movie. Also the hero is my teammate in the national team, so I look forward to his performance."

But Wu also thinks that The Master of Tai Chi TV series performed by Wu Jing, and the movie of the same name performed by Jet Li, are too popular and pervasive, so it is quite a challenge. "To break the tradition without breaking away from tai chi skills means the action direction must be excellent," Wu told the Global Times.

Whether the fighting scenes in the movie also have a successful break is questioned. "The action director of the movie Taichi is Sammo Hung (a renowned Hong Kong action movie star and action director), so I am sure it is a first-class production in terms of fighting scenes," Lan Haihao, action director of Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, told the Global Times.

But others may have objections. According to Zhang Yi, website editor and famous movie critic adopting the screen name Dushe Levin, it is questionable whether the movie can refresh the whole movie type and lead to a kung fu movie comeback.

Either way, the audiences' response will be the final word. "Judging from the tai chi moves revealed in the preview, it does not look better than Ip Man (an acclaimed kung fu movie screened in 2008) in choreographing the martial art skills and tricks," Zhang told the Global Times.

Staying true to tai chi

Experts in tai chi are even more scornful. Tai chi master Zeng Qingzong complained to the Global Tines that "nowadays there are rarely any kung fu movies about tai chi that are produced by people who support the traditional tai chi techniques and theories."

He thinks only if movies use the traditional essence of tai chi as their base, like taking advantage of the power of the enemy and keeping harmony in the inner heart, can they really improve the "tai chi part."

For many kung fu movie fans, it is obvious that the innovation in this movie, and of a few other recent kung fu movies, is actually an imitation of Hollywood style to a certain extent. For instance, this year's Wu Dang is fiercely criticized for its clumsy abuse of computer technologies and its simple adventure thread.

Audiences of kung fu movies, on one hand, are looking for something novel, but on the other, they never want to see the movie getting too far away from the traditional Chinese kung fu movie plot in which every punch should look real and clever, showing the beauty and wisdom of Chinese kung fu. An example is the short rejuvenation of kung fu movies stimulated by Ip Man, where Donnie Yen fully presents his genuine Chinese kung fu skills.

GeneChing
09-27-2012, 05:48 PM
See also 4D Sex and Zen: Slayer of a Thousand from the Mysterious East (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63116)

Busan to play first 4-D feature (http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/busan-to-play-first-4-d-feature)
By Patrick Frater
Thu, 27 September 2012, 16:46 PM (HKT)
Exhibition News
http://www.filmbiz.asia/media/BAhbB1sHOgZmSSI5MjAxMi8wOS8yNy8wMS80OS8xMi81MzMvVG FpX0NoaV9aZXJvX21hc3Rlcl9waXBlLmpwZwY6BkVUWwg6BnA6 CnRodW1iSSINNTAweDEwMDAGOwZU?suffix=.jpg&sha=204a3ba4
Stephen FUNG 馮德倫's Tai Chi Zero 太極1 從零開始 is to be the first movie shown in 4-D at next month's Busan International Film Festival 부산국제영화제.

Two free screenings of the Hong Kong-China co-production will be presented at the CGV Centum City multiplex, part of the CJ group which developed the 4-DX technology.

The 4-DX technology and features seats which pitch, roll and heave as well as environmental effects including wind, scents, strobe lights and even face wetting.

It was introduced by CGV in 2009 and is currently installed in some 34 theatres around the world, more than a third of which are in South Korea.

The first part of a planned trilogy, zero opens today in China on an exclusive 3-D engagement. It played in 2-D at the Venice International Film Festival and Toronto International Film Festival.

GeneChing
09-28-2012, 11:03 AM
I just found the select theaters on Well Go's site (http://www.wellgousa.com/theatrical/tai-chi-0#showtimes)and there's nothing near me. :mad::mad::mad:

USA
Oct 19, 2012

AMC Mission Valley 20
1640 Camino Del Rio, North
San Diego California 92108
United States

Regal Laguna Village 12
8755 Center Parkway
Sacramento California 95823
United States

Laemmle Noho 7
5240 Lankershim Blvd.
North Hollywood California 91601
United States

Chinese 6 Theaters
6801 Hollywood Blvd.
Hollywood California 90028
United States

AMC Atlantic Times Square 14
450 N. Atlantic Boulevard
Monterey Park California 91754
United States

AMC Puente Hills 20
1560 South Azusa Avenue
City Of Industry California 91748
United States

Edwards University Town Center
4245 Campus Drive
Irvine California 92612
United States

AMC River East 21
322 East Illinois Street
Chicago Illinois 60611
United States

AMC Boston Commons 19
175 Tremont St
Boston Massachusetts 02111
United States

AMC Empire 25
234 West 42nd Street
New York New York 10036
United States

Hollywood Theater
4122 NE Sandy Boulevard
Portland Oregon 97212
United States

UA Riverview Plaza Stadium 17
1400 S. Columbus Blvd.
Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19147
United States

AMC Studio 30
2949 Dunvale
Houston Texas 77063
United States

AMC Pacific Place 11
600 Pine Street - Ste 400
Seattle Washington 98101
United States

Oct 26, 2012
Pearlridge 16
98 - 1005 Moanalua Road
Aiea Hawaii 96701
United States

Regal Dole Cannery
735 B Iwilei Rd.
Honolulu Hawaii 96817
United States

Lucas
09-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Fuk ya sucka!!!! Finally i trump you for once!!!!!! Portland oregon mofo!!!!!!!!! Hollywood theater regularly has kungfu marathons and stuff. I'm there for sure.

doug maverick
09-28-2012, 11:51 AM
I just found the select theaters on Well Go's site (http://www.wellgousa.com/theatrical/tai-chi-0#showtimes)and there's nothing near me. :mad::mad::mad:

**** gene, looks you are out of the running for this one...and it looks like its going to be awesome...just asked well go for some info on the second part...waiting for a response.

GeneChing
09-28-2012, 12:46 PM
:(

I look forward to your review here, Lucas. No spoilers (or at least do them in tiny font and in yellow so they are easy to skip over).

Lucas
09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I promise to be courteous :D

GeneChing
10-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Here's a sample vid of him - Yuan XiaoChao wushu chang chuan men 9/10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdMqq4Lq2c)

Posted: Sat., Sep. 29, 2012, 4:00am PT
Yuan aims for 'Tai Chi' knockout (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059995?refCatId=19)
Martial arts still works its Chinese B.O. magic
By Clifford Coonan

http://images1.variety.com/graphics/photos/weeklyphotos/kungfu301.jpg
Yuan Xiaochao went to Venice to promote “Tai Chi 0”; the pic recently opened in China.
BEIJING -- Since the death of Bruce Lee nearly 40 years ago, many have held the unofficial title of kung fu box office master, including Jackie Chan, who keeps retiring and un-retiring, matching the genre with jokey repartee; and Jet Li, one for purists who remains a powerful draw across Asia.

Enter a new dragon, if you would, this one a real-life martial art champion, who the Chinese shingle Huayi Brothers hopes can fight his way to the top of the list of claimants, and capture the global imagination.

Yuan Xiaochao is a two-time world champion and gold medalist at the Doha Asian Games in the practice of wushu, or Chinese martial arts, and changquan, which means "long fist," a discipline that involves fully extended movements. In his acting bow -- in Stephen Fung's "Tai Chi 0," which bowed out of competition at the recent Venice Film Festival, and opens in China at the end of last month -- Yuan plays a fighter who pursues his dream to become the greatest practitioner of tai chi.

"I always liked watching Bruce Lee movies, and I admire him very much as he helped people know and love Chinese kung fu. But it's been a long time since those films, and we have many young people now, and I wanted to do something more contemporary for young people," Yuan says.

"I grew up with Jet Li's movies, and I was influenced by him," Yuan says.

It's hard to overstate the importance of kung fu in China, and in areas of Asia where Chinese culture is popular.

In central China, kung fu is compulsory in many high schools, and Chinese students are familiar with knife wielding, snake boxing and other arts of self defense.

Kung fu is actually a generic term for many different skills, used mainly in the West. In China, people use the word wushu to refer to martial arts. Practitioners say other martial arts like karate originated from kung fu.

Kung fu encompasses the fierce, but witty, Bruce Lee chopsocky classics of the 1970s and elegant artistic films like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Hero," and draws top helmers like Peter Chan, Tsui Hark and Zhang Yimou. It is a global cinematic language that appeals to the mass-market chopsocky consumer in Shanghai and the highbrow Zen Buddhist cineaste in a Parisian arthouse. The humorous kung fu movie is still a big draw, as Stephen Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle" has shown.

Yuan is the first to admit that performing martial arts in movies is different from being a martial arts athlete.

"Movements that are perfect for competing don't necessarily make for a good performance," he says. "So I watch and analyze my movements on the screen."

Yuan says that when he competes, his coach corrects him; but in "Tai Chi 0," there were a number of masters. "There are so many people around you, and you have to work with them," he says.

Huayi topper Wang Zhonglei says there hasn't really been a new big-name wushu practitioner in the movies for a while -- one who can fire the imagination of a younger audience.

"This is the right time for a martial arts legend," he says. "But they have to be a genius."

Contact the Variety newsroom at news@variety.com

GeneChing
10-03-2012, 09:12 AM
It's getting such good buzz. There's a photo album if you follow the link.

Starting from "0": How Stephen Fung is reinventing Kung Fu cinema (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/entertainmentfeatures/view/1229321/1/.html)
By Han Wei Chou | Posted: 03 October 2012 1515 hrs
Blending Steampunk and Kung Fu in "Taichi 0".

SINGAPORE: Helmed by Hong Kong actor-director Stephen Fung, the Kung Fu action film "Taichi 0" has received praise from audiences in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan for its innovative melding of martial arts action, Steampunk elements and video game influences.

But there can be no innovation without risk.

Fung knows this better than anyone, and he expressed that he wasn't quite sure how audiences will react to the unusual mix of elements in "Taichi 0" at first, but decided to take a chance on the film anyway.

"If we don't innovate, we'll forever be watching the same thing over and over again. It becomes meaningless.

"I feel that innovation means you need to overturn established norms. Every time you overturn these norms and do something new, it is really hard."

"There is no way of knowing 100 per cent that it will be good," Fung told reporters during his promotional visit to Singapore on Monday.

"But you see, after 'Ip Man' (a hit martial arts film), I see a lot of traditional Kung Fu films that didn't succeed."

"Since even doing traditional Kung Fu films may not work, why not try something new? If I have to 'die', I'd rather 'die' trying to create something new," he explained with a laugh.

Brand new Kung Fu?

"Taichi 0" is indeed "something new".

The film has a relatively old-school Kung Fu film plot about a young man Yang Luchan's (played by Chinese martial arts champion Yuan Xiaochao) journey to learn the ultimate Kung Fu skill, and has him attempt to save a village from being destroyed to make way for a railroad, but that is probably the only thing it has in common with traditional Kung Fu films.

"Taichi 0" sees the protagonist face off against a massive steam-powered mechanical beast, because Fung wanted to replicate in his film how a video game character encounters a 'boss monster' at the end of a level.

Fung put in Steampunk visual elements in the film, and decided to include heavy metal music in its soundtrack.

Even the martial arts fight scenes are different – the film's action choreographer Sammo Hung had eschewed his signature hard hitting set-pieces in favour of the more fluid, stylized fights Fung wanted.

Still, the film's biggest departure from tradition is Fung's decision to "keep it light and entertaining", and ditch the melodrama that permeates most martial arts film.

"We wanted to make a film that appealed to the youth and allowed the whole family to watch. Like a Disney film," said the 38-year-old director.

However, Fung admitted that putting these varied elements together had not been easy, and required him to constantly talk things out with the teams handling various aspects of film production like the music and visual effects.

"As a director, you need to find a strong concept and then communicate with the relevant departments a lot to do this film," said Fung.

New chapter in Kung Fu cinema

While "Taichi 0" has been described by some critics as the kind of action film that looks set to replace traditional Kung Fu movies, Fung disagrees.

He believes "Taichi 0" is not a replacement for traditional Chinese martial arts films and is simply a different take on the genre as well as its conventions.

"In the past, there were a lot of classic Kung Fu shows … in the future; there will still be these kinds of films.

"But after 'Taichi 0', the definition of Kung Fu film will be different, that it can also be a film like this," said Fung, before adding that he is not too concerned about the film's box office takings, even though it has become a surprise box office hit.

"Although I am really happy that it has done very well in the box office in China and Taiwan, I don't think it's that important," said Fung.

"The important thing is that our film has written a new chapter in the history of Kung Fu films."

Also starring Tony Leung Kar Fai, Angelababy, Shu Qi and Eddie Peng, "Taichi 0" is the first part of a planned trilogy, and will hit screens here on Thursday.

The second film in the trilogy, "Taichi Hero", will be released on October 25.

-CNA/ha

GeneChing
10-04-2012, 09:33 AM
...in Asia...not in the US quite yet.

‘Tai Chi 0’ takes Asia worldwide (http://news.insing.com/feature/tai-chi-0-takes-asia-worldwide/id-ca603f00)
by Peter Chai
inSing.com - 4 October 2012 3:06 PM

http://staticc05.insing.com/images/5b/d9/0f/00/pc_600x450.jpg
Actors Tony Leung Ka-Fai, Yuan Xiaochao and director Stephen Fung. Photo: Nicholas Yeo

Four-time Hong Kong Film Award winner, Tony Leung Ka-Fai, claimed that ‘Tai Chi 0’, the first movie in the ‘Tai Chi’ trilogy directed by actor-turned-director Stephen Fung, may well turn the Chinese film industry on its head through the eyes of international audiences, not to mention provide viewers around the world with a deeper understanding of the concept of Chinese martial arts, especially taiji.

“When I was first involved in this movie, I realized that it may be the next big thing in the movie industry. I saw its great potential in highlighting our rich Chinese culture and film productions on the international stage," said Leung. The film managed to open in top spots in the box office in its first week of release in both Hong Kong and China.

The actor who was here in Singapore to promote the movie added, "Many years ago, our martial arts representative was Bruce Lee. He used his kungfu knowledge and acting skills to help promote Chinese martial arts to the world. Thus, I am very proud to be a part of ‘Tai Chi 0’, a film that somewhat continues his legacy and I have high expectations for it."

It is only normal for the actor to mention Bruce Lee after having starred in the 2010 film, ‘Bruce Lee, My Brother’. As one who seldom has a hand in action scenes, he was thrilled when he knew that he had to perform some martial arts stunts in Fung's directorial feature.

“When I first got the script, I wondered how I was going to illustrate the art of tai chi for three movies. I have to do fighting scenes! But I'm glad that Stephen invited me to star in a kungfu film before I can't move freely. I don't think I can do those stunts in a few more years later as I am getting old," said Leung, who had to learn taiji from a Chinese master in China for two months before filming.

‘Tai Chi 0’ has been praised by movie critics for its creativity and novelty as director Fung reinvented the Chinese martial arts genre by infusing it with elements of steampunk, machine, animation and video games.

“You know, if you do the same thing over and over again, the audience will only be limited to a certain kind of story and genre. We want to bring in something new to the traditional kungfu story and show people that there are alternative ways to film a Chinese martial arts movie," said Fung.

‘Tai Chi 0’ tells the story of a gifted child named Yang Luchan, who possesses tremendous power through the bump on his forehead. Shunned by the people around him for the same freakish bump, he goes out into the world to seek his fortune, namely to learn well-known taiji moves from Chen village.

However, according to the Chen family rules, they are not allowed to impart their knowledge to outsiders, but Yang gets his chance when he helps the villagers to stop the British authorities from destroying their homes.

2008 Olympic gold medallist Yuan Xiaochao stars as Yang Luchan, alongside stars Tony Leung Ka-fai, Angelababy, Eddie Peng, Shu Qi and Daniel Wu.

‘Tai Chi 0’ opens in theatres 4 October 2012

GeneChing
10-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Does anyone know if Fung speaks English?

Trailblazer: Stephen Fung (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20121004-375518.html)
http://news.asiaone.com/a1media/news/10Oct12/images/20121004.162343_stephenfung.jpg
By Kwok Kar Peng
The New Paper
Saturday, Oct 06, 2012

HONG KONG - He was once a member of Hong Kong's elite young actors that include Daniel Wu, Nicholas Tse and Edison Chen because of the hit movies Gen-X Cops (1999) and its sequel, Gen-Y Cops (2000).

Stephen Fung also earned respect as a film-maker with Enter The Phoenix (2004) and House Of Fury (2005).

Then all went quiet as if the Hong Kong actor-turned-director had fallen off the radar.

In reality, the 38-year-old was working on what could be his most ambitious project to date.

Fung is spearheading Taichi 0 and Taichi Hero, two gongfu movies - filmed back to back - that cost a hefty 200 million yuan (S$39 million) to produce.

Taichi 0 features modern elements such as steampunk, heavy metal music, comic graphics and animation.

The film follows gongfu prodigy Luchan (played by Chinese rookie actor Jayden Yuan, a Chinese martial arts gold medallist at the 2006 and 2010 Asian Games), who's born with a small horn-like growth on his forehead that holds tremendous power, but is now threatening to kill him.

Luchan travels to Chen Village to learn taichi in a bid to reverse the damage and helps the villagers to fend off industrialisation, including a five-storey-high steam-powered machine called Troy.

Taichi 0, which also stars Tony Leung Ka Fai, Eddie Peng and Angelababy, opens here today. The sequel Taichi Hero will be shown here on Oct 25.

In an interview with FiRST on Monday, Fung said: "From the start, the concept was to film an innovative gongfu movie.

"The script gave me a lot of freedom for creativity, and I thought it would be interesting to add elements of steampunk, comic books, animation and video games.

"The whole idea of steampunk is very interesting. A bunch of artists imagined a world driven mostly by steam power. The artwork amuses me the most because it's very in your face."

While Fung is dabbling with a new look and genre for martial arts flicks, he doesn't think it will replace the traditional story-telling format.

He shared: "Many traditional gongfu movies are classics and there will still be many movies like that.

"After Taichi 0, the definition (of gongfu movies) will be different and people will realise that films can be like this too."

Fung isn't worried that his experiment combining gongfu with steampunk may fail.

"Many recent gongfu movies were not as successful as Ip Man (starring Donnie Yen) was. If filming them the traditional way isn't a guaranteed success, then why not do something innovative?

He added: "Box-office takings aren't the most important to me. It's how Taichi 0 writes a new page in the history of wushu films."

His efforts have been recognised. Taichi 0 is nominated for Best Make-up & Costume Design and Best Action Choreography in the upcoming Golden Horse Awards, which will be held in the Taiwanese city of Yilan on Nov 24.

Taichi 0 premiered at the Venice Film Festival at the end of August out of competition, and will open in the US and Canada this month.

Fung told us it wasn't a conscious decision to make a film that will be screened in non-Chinese speaking countries.

There's a big fan base all over the world for both gongfu movies and taichi, so he said he wouldn't be surprised if the film appealed to an international audience.

Pressure

Fung admitted he felt pressure from helming such a big production, and was worried about the weather and the actors' schedules.

"What we did has never been done before, so we needed more time to film as (the cast and crew) were not familiar with the genre," Fung said.

"For example, Troy is five storeys high, and we had to figure out how to move the machine and when to release the steam.

"The production crew was stressed because of this, and this controlled how much we could film in a day."

While he's still a recognisable face in this part of the world, Fung doesn't have plans to go back to acting as he doesn't like the limelight.

Directing is what he wants to do now, he confessed, as "I'm the controlling sort and likes to control the entire production".

Nevertheless, he took on a small role in Taichi 0 because the original actor dropped out at the last minute.

Fung even set himself on fire in one scene.

He said: "I suffered some burns, but they weren't a problem. We carried out all the safety precautions, for instance, I wore a fire-resistant suit and applied fire-retardant gel on my face.

"I didn't feel anything at first, but I felt the heat very soon."

"I felt a sense of accomplishment doing something so dangerous. I also wanted to be an example to the younger actors, to let them know they should try their best to do the stunts themselves, and not be so eager to use stuntmen because the audience can see the difference."

Oh, and the US distribution expanded significantly. I thought it might. Check the WellGo site now (http://www.wellgousa.com/theatrical/tai-chi-0#showtimes).

SAN FRANCISCO / BAY AREA
Regal Laguna Village 12
8755 Center Parkway
Sacramento California 95823

AMC Metreon 16
135 Fourth St Suite 3000
San Francisco California 94103

32100 Union Landing
Union City California 94587

AMC Bay Street 16
5614 Bay Street, Suite 220
Emeryville California 94608

Landmark Shattuck Cinemas
2230 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley California 94707

Union Landing is the other side of Fremont. I could see it during a long lunch. :D

doug maverick
10-07-2012, 02:32 AM
Does anyone know if Fung speaks English?

Oh, and the US distribution expanded significantly. I thought it might. Check the WellGo site now (http://www.wellgousa.com/theatrical/tai-chi-0#showtimes).

Union Landing is the other side of Fremont. I could see it during a long lunch. :D

if im not mistaken he went to school here in america or canada(still america technically..lol). must investimigate..lol

Lucas
10-07-2012, 11:18 AM

there you go shattering my dreams of conquest....

GeneChing
10-08-2012, 09:45 AM
More on Korea's 4D (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1189440#post1189440) showing

Busan 2012: South Korea's CJ E&M Pictures to Screen 'Tai Chi Zero' in New Multi-Sensory Format (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/busan-2012-south-korea-cj-e-and-m-pictures-tai-chi-zero-4D-377051)
7:52 AM PDT 10/8/2012 by Patrick Brzeski

The 4DX technology engages all five senses with motion chairs and environmental effects synchronized to the onscreen action.

As a frantic car chase scene unfolds on screen, the cinema seat jerks from side-to-side while a whiff of burning rubber and gust of wind blow through the air.
our editor recommends
The Gardener: Busan Review
Busan 2012: Iranian Director Promotes Tolerance With 'The Gardener'

It's all part of South Korea’s CJ E&M Pictures' move beyond 3D audiovisuals with 4DX, a technology that engages all five senses with motion chairs and environmental effects synchronized to the onscreen action. The Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) is showcasing this new system by presenting a 4D film for the first time.

Stephen Fung’s Tai Chi Zero, a China-Hong Kong actioner that was shown in 2D at Venice and Toronto earlier this year, has gotten a 4D facelift for Asia’s largest cinema event. BIFF organizers say this is a case that exemplifies what a film festival is all about – introducing trends and connecting supply with demand.

“Today, if you take your kids to the movie theater they will expect it to be in 3D. It has become the norm. We felt showing a 4D film would be a great way to demonstrate the cinema culture of the future, and Zero, which was originally created as a 3D film, seemed very appropriate given the fact that it’s packed with action and fantasy,” says BIFF program coordinator Park Sungho.

CJ group, which operates Asia’s largest cinema chain CGV, has 34 theaters in six countries dedicated to 4D movies. In addition to China, Thailand, Israel, Brazil and Mexico, it is planning to create more CJ 4DPlex theaters in the United States, South America, Russia and Western Europe.

“BIFF is Korea’s oldest film festival and has been a venue for presenting new films and industry developments. We felt that it would be a great place to show what our 4DPlex is all about and that it can show various genres of movies,” says Kim So-young, senior manager of CJ 4DPlex’s marketing department.

Since debuting with James Cameron’s Avatar in 2009, CJ 4DPlex shows about 20 Hollywood films a year for the global market and works with several major studios on international releases.

“Even though our technology is very well known in Korea and Asia, we hope to show that local movies, including dramas, can be fun to watch in 4D,” says Kim.

A CJ 4DPlex theater features gyrating chairs with a tiny nozzle that sprays water, mist and bubbles as well as some 1,000 odors ranging from coffee to gunpowder. “Back ticklers” move to make sure the onscreen action is felt skin-deep. The cinema, which can house up to 240 seats, also features large fans and strobe lights that add environmental effects such as lightning and wind. Outfitting a theater with the technology costs about $2 million.

It takes between two to three weeks using special software to program the 4D effects into a movie. Scents, for example, are programmed to spread only within blocks of six by six seats.

Programmers hope these features can add to the fun, and moreover, the viewer’s appreciation for the film. It is not, for example, about creating quasi-theme park rides, they say.

“We didn’t have any examples to follow when we began this so we did actually try the 4D rides in theme parks around the world. But our goal is to make the viewing experience entertaining and to heighten the realism of the movie. We try very, very hard not distract the flow of the movie,” says CJ 4DPlex programmer Son Young-in.

“We began our project with James Cameron’s Avatar and focused mostly on action films and animations, which bring out the best features of 4DX. So Zero, which has many elements of action, fantasy and even animation, was ideal for the movie. But even Titanic, which is mostly drama, works surprisingly well. 4DX is basically about making the audience feel as if they are really breathing inside the movie.”

Zero, featuring action sequences designed by Sammo Hung (Ip Man 1 and 2), explores the origins of martial arts during the 19th century. It is the first of a three-part installment.

SimonM
10-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Just saw the trailer on io9. Looks good!

SimonM
10-18-2012, 05:25 AM
steam punk is like steam engines, old crank driven wheel flying machines, flint locks, etc. in combination with 'punkish' themes of style

cyber punk generally involves the cyber world, electronics, hacking and futuristic worlds, lazers, cyborgs etc. with a 'punkish' theme of style.

time periods basically

The "punk" labeling on steampunk is contentious. Mostly it comes from the involvement of cyberpunk alums like K.W. Jeter (who wrote authorized Blade Runner sequel novels and who coined the term steampunk), Bruce Sterling and even (in one book only) Gibson himself in the genesis of the genre back in the late '80s.

However most modern steampunk fiction owes more to pulp fiction than to cyberpunk from a thematic perspective.

But whether you want to call it steampunk or steampulp, China's been doing it in kung fu movies since long before it was a big thing over here. EX: Once Upon a Time in China III, The New Legend of Shaolin, Forbidden City Cop, or just about anything directed by Tsui Hark and set in the Qing dynasty. All mid-nineties fare (which doesn't predate the steampunk genre but certainly predates steampunk as a popculture force.)

GeneChing
10-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Those films you reference are pre-steampunk, so they don't quite fit in the steam era, but I can totally see your point. I hadn't considered those films in this way before because they predate the movement. Also, as they are Chinese, they stand outside the influence of H.G. Wells or Jules Verne. But your observation is spot on.

As for Steampunk vs. Steampulp, well, that's just trying to mold language, which is something that just can't be done. Language always takes its own course, usually in defiance of logic and reason. But still, another good point.

Chen Style Kung Fu: Stephen Fung on Tai Chi Zero and Tai Chi Hero (http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/198149-chen-style-kung-fu-stephen-fung-on-tai-chi-zero-and-tai-chi-hero)
The director explains ass-kicking Tai Chi and the need to innovate within the Kung Fu genre.
By Fred Topel
October 17, 2012

In Los Angeles, it’s rare to have Hong Kong talent in person, besides the Hollywood folks like Jackie Chan, Jet Li and John Woo. I’ve made that flight, 14 ½ hours, and Hong Kong was awesome, but I couldn’t do that for a press tour. Luckily, Toronto is a little more central and the Toronto International Film Festival is a big enough event that the Hong Kong filmmakers attend. We got to meet Stephen Fung in person, with his film Tai Chi Zero, which is actually only half the story. Tai Chi Hero is coming out shortly after. Zero follows Yang Lu Chan (Yuan XiaoChao) as he attempts to break into the Chen village, but their Chen Style Kung Fu is too strong. The film mixes rock n’ roll, steampunk and more styles, and part two only looks wilder. Zero opens October 19 in the states.

CraveOnline: Is Tai Chi Zero somewhat of a Chinese Expendables because you have all these martial arts legends showing up for at least a little bit?

Stephen Fung: That’s a very interesting question because nobody has ever asked me that. I don't know. I don't think so, even though we tried to get some legendary Kung Fu actors in the film. At least that’s not really the way we try to position it. We were trying to do something very new and try to break new barriers here and try to, I guess, utilize Tai Chi, but then we try to also bring in a lot of new, different genres into the film.

Why was it important to credit everyone’s resume when they’re introduced in the middle of the movie?

Actually, initially how that idea came about to credit their resume is that our leading actor is not a real actor, because he is an Olympic Wushu gold medalist. It’s the first time he’s ever been in front of a screen, so we want audiences to have a heads up in terms of don’t have a lot of expectation for his acting ability. But then I thought as I was shooting him, I thought hey, this guy is actually a pretty decent actor, but we still decided to put that in. I thought it was fun.

Is this sort of rock n’ roll martial arts?

I don't know but it’s just obviously we didn’t shoot the fight choreography with rock n’ roll music, but then I’m a big fan of heavy metal. I’ve seen Hollywood mix a lot of heavy metal with action scenes but with real martial arts choreography, I think this might be the first time. So just thought since we’re on the road to try to do something new, whether it will succeed or not, I don't know but at least we want to try.

Does the Hong Kong movie business need a jumpstart to do something different?

I think so because ever since Ip Man there’s been many other Kung Fu movies. I wouldn’t call them big box office successes, so I would say because a traditional Kung Fu movie, in terms of story, in terms of the martial arts itself, it’s very repetitive. We didn’t want to do anything repetitive. So in terms of whether it needs a kickstart, I think so. Then the demographics of the audience have changed. Now the latest survey [says] most moviegoers in China are between 18 – 25 years old. That might be another reason why the studio encouraged us to be as creative as possible and attract more of a younger crowd.

Traditional movies have not been doing well like The Lost Bladesman and Wu Xia?

They have done maybe not up to expectation I would say.

Did Tai Chi Hero not make it into the Toronto Film Festival?

It’s just because I’m still doing post-production for Tai Chi Hero and it’s going to be released in October, a month after Tai Chi Zero.

So there was no chance of getting both in the festival?

No.

When does Tai Chi Hero come out in the states?

I’m not 100% sure but either a month after, like in November, or next January, something like that. Not that far away.

How did you come up with the story of the Zero and the Chan school?

The story is actually based on the real story of Yang Lu Chan. There really is a Chan village. There really is Chen Style Kung Fu and Chen Style Kung Fu is really what later on became Tai Chi. So that’s based on facts, but then the look of the village, and of course there wasn’t a steampunk railroad-building machine, those are obviously something we put in.

Western audiences may think of Tai Chi as a spiritual practice but I know from watching a lot of martial arts films it can be very powerful too. What is the unknown power of Tai Chi?

I guess with every person you ask, Chinese or Western, Tai Chi means different [things] to many different people. Some people would say it’s a martial art, some people would say it’s a philosophy with the yin and yang and the balance. Some people would say something else. You mean what’s Tai Chi to me?

Sure.

Let’s put it this way. As you said before, to a lot of people in the west, Tai Chi is also a spiritual kind of experience. But then to us, making this movie, we didn’t want the so-called Tai Chi to have a lot of burden. We just want to make a fun movie that’s not to be taken too seriously really. We just wanted to use Yang Lu Chan’s story as a background and make a movie out of it that’s new and energetic and not care too much about the whole Tai Chi philosophy.

continued next post

GeneChing
10-18-2012, 09:34 AM
In the opening battle scene, how big of a real crowd did you have and how many did you duplicate with CGI?

We had a crowd of maybe 400, I think something like that.

What is your progression from House of Fury to Tai Chi Zero and Hero? What have you learned from previous films and what did you want to do moving forward?

House of Fury was my second film. I believe that if you want to make a good commercial movie, budget really matters. When I was doing House of Fury, I had a lot of visions in my head, but then because we were on a relatively tighter budget, I couldn’t realize those visions in the movie at the end. In terms of Tai Chi Zero, it’s a much bigger budget movie and then I got to be more creative and I guess we could spend a lot more time working on the details and every different aspect, the costume, the color and all that. I would say creatively, both movies I was trying to be as creative as possible but then it just so happens that this movie I get to realize those dreams of mine a bit more.

For the audience, it doesn’t look like House of Fury is lacking anything for budget.

I guess for me it is because we didn’t have a lot of time to shoot those fight scenes. Then the way I envisioned where the ending should take place and all that.

Where did you want the ending to be?

I wanted the character of Michael Wong in House of Fury to be kind of like a Bruce Wayne, where he has his own kind of Bat Cave with all this cool equipment. Of course we didn’t get that budget to create that set, so it ended up being a much smaller set in the soundstage.

Was directing always your goal, even when you started out doing stunts and acting?

I guess when I started, I didn’t realize that I have the ability to do so, but after a couple years acting, I discovered that there are stories I wanted to tell. Then I started doing music videos and short films and I found out that I’m actually competent doing it so I proceeded further. With help from a lot of friends and studio heads, I got to realize my dream.

How did you get the American name Stephen?

Oh, it’s given by my father. I was born in Hong Kong but it was a British colony. That’s why I guess Stephen is spelled with a PH, not a VEN.

About 10 years ago, Hollywood had a Hong Kong style period and everything was called Hong Kong style. What does Hong Kong style mean to you?

To me it’s a little different because Hong Kong style to me is very fast paced filmmaking. We shoot 60 different shots, setups a day. So to me the Hong Kong style is to me the filmmaking way. I guess you meant the Kung Fu. I don't know, I’m not very sure because as a Chinese person growing up in Hong Kong, everything we see in terms of martial arts, when we turn on the TV, it’s the same martial art. Production-wise it’s a lot different from film and TV but then we get those images around all the time. That’s one of the reasons why we wanted to make Tai Chi Zero because we wanted to have a different look and because it’s just a lot of those fights are repetitive.

I think to Hollywood it meant martial arts on wires, but to me it’s about the tone. In Hong Kong you can have a serious cop movie with wild, crazy humor. To the Hong Kong audience, that’s not weird. It’s just normal.

You’re right, and usually in a period piece, people fly around and there’s wire fu. I guess when I was young, Tsui Hark was already around so I saw a lot of wire fu and all that.

What was your experience on Gen X Cops?

It was fun. I was very young back then, like 23 or 24. So it’s the first time I participated in a bigger budget movie and then it was produced by Jackie Chan, one of my idols. At that point in my career, in my life, I got to work with a martial art legend in a big production and stylish costumes. It’s like ooh.

Did you miss the period where a lot of Hong Kong talent was coming to Hollywood? Would you have liked to have been a part of that?

I don't know, I think for me if I ever get the opportunity to work in Hollywood, I’d be very open to this idea. Things are different. I think we have different kinds of opportunities here. With the market in mainland China booming, I think there will be another wave of new talents being able to expand their horizon to a worldwide audience.

Is it more competitive now with the Thai industry and the Indonesian industry picking up?

I saw The Raid and I think it’s a very good movie. The martial arts is good. It’s got a new tone to it. I think it’s good that there are things coming in terms of martial arts coming from different parts of the world. If that makes it competitive, that makes it more reason we have to try to be innovative and try to create something new. At least try. It doesn’t mean that it’s always going to work. I don't know if this will work but at least we really poured our guts out trying to do something new.

Based on the trailer at the end of Tai Chi Zero, does Tai Chi Hero have even more fighting?

Yes, it does. You really have to see it as a two part movie because as our main character grows up, he actually learns his Tai Chi and starts displaying his Tai Chi moves. The Tai Chi that you see now, [you’ll see] the softer gentle way in part two. Because a lot of people asked me, “How come the Tai Chi I see in part one is not quite the Tai Chi I see old people doing in the park?” That’s because what you’re seeing is Chen Style Kung Fu and Chen Style Kung Fu is more aggressive. We have a Chen Style Kung Fu consultant on set all the time to make sure our moves are authentic. It’s later on that what you see today, it’s called the Yang Style Tai Chi, that’s later on developed by Yang Lu Chan, our main character in the movie. I'm excited to see this tomorrow. I'm taking a long lunch for it.

SPJ
10-18-2012, 02:39 PM
will get DVDs for the first and the second movies.

They both are instant classics for the new decades.

actors of both old and young generations.

yuan biao, sammo hung, liang jia hui old

--- new

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMxAyv3gWsk

:cool:

JamesC
10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Can't wait. Looks awesome

doug maverick
10-19-2012, 01:54 PM
from probably the most reliable source, deadline hollywood.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/well-go-usa-acquires-stephen-fungs-sequel-tai-chi-hero/
Well Go USA Acquires Stephen Fung’s Sequel ‘Tai Chi Hero’
By MIKE FLEMING | Friday October 19, 2012 @ 3:08pm EDTTags: Stephen Fung, Tai Chi Hero, Well Go USA
Comments (0)
Mike Fleming

EXCLUSIVE: As Well Go USA Entertainment today opens the Stephen Fung-directed action film Tai Chi Zero on the specialty circult, the distributor has closed a deal for the film’s sequel, Tai Chi Hero. The deal is for North American rights for the film, which is the second in a trilogy. Tai Chi Hero will be released in the U.S. and Canada early next year.

Related: Specialty Box Office: ‘The Sessions’, ‘All Together,’ ‘Holy Motors’, ‘Tai Chi Zero’

Tai Chi Zero played both the Venice and Toronto film festivals this fall. Its mix of kung fu, steampunk and robots created some buzz and led to Well Go USA’s deal.

“Based on the early success we’ve seen for Tai Chi Zero out of Venice and Toronto, as well as the early box office success in China, we wanted to ensure Director Fung’s entire trilogy is brought to North American audiences,” said Doris Pfardrescher, President, Well Go USA Entertainment. “The response has been amazing — audiences are asking how soon they can see Tai Chi Hero as soon as Tai Chi Zero ends, and we wanted to honor that request by putting Tai Chi Hero in theaters as quickly as possible.”

Both films were acquired from Huayi Brothers Media in deals negotiated between Leslie Chen on behalf of the company, and Pfardrescher.

GeneChing
10-19-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't think I've had as much fun with subtitles in a movie - intentional fun, that is. It reminds me of when I saw Shaolin Soccer (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46486); after seeing some of Chow's earlier films, I thought that SS actualized Chow's cinematic vision. Same can be said for this and Stephen Fung. Like Chow, Fung is another irreverent maverick with a great love for kung fu films. I was very entertained, but I can't say how well it will be received by America. It's all over the place - very experimental and comic bookish - it'll be called 'groundbreaking' if it succeeds.

There's some very talented martial champions involved, but I have have to give it to Angelababy (Yang Ying 楊穎) who I've just discovered has the same birthday as me. She reminds me of Morena Baccarin with her luxuriously long neck and unusual beauty. She stole the show.

This is probably pretty good in 3D as there's a lot of CGI and a lot of stuff flies at you. I saw it in 2D.

It's a great plug for Chen Taiji (http://www.martialartsmart.com/tai-chi-taiji-dvd.html). I'm glad there's a Chen article in the current issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1062) (Qinna Joint Locking Techniques of Hunyuan Taijiquan By J. Justin Meehan)

I don't want to spoil it for you all, so I'll leave it at that.

First forum review goes to me. :cool:

Jimbo
10-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I liked it a lot. More than I thought I would. It really has a funny and unique filming style. Choreography-wise, IMO the fights looked pretty much like most of the Chinese MA films of the past decade or so. But it wasn't the fighting that impressed me so much as the cinematography and the story. Suspension of disbelief and all that. Good to see veterans Fung Hak-On and Bruce Leung in brief parts.

The subs were very good and creative.

I'm definitely looking forward to part 2.

I also saw it in 2D. It's all it was in, and I don't like 3D anyway.

Second forum review is mine! :)

SimonM
10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Knee slappingly funny and yet it was still a Kung FU movie.

I've been describing it as the irreverent lust-child of Scott Pilgrim, Wild Wild West and Kung Fu Hustle. So happy that Tai Chi Hero is coming out in January. Will be seeing it in theatres too.

Oh and the movie did a good job of making both the key protagonists and the key antagonists sympathetic. Fang Zijing became a total *******, but we could see what led him to that point and we could UNDERSTAND how he got to that point based on past experiences.

I had to say that I like Mandy Lieu more than Angelababy and that may have impacted the level of sympathy I felt for the bad guys but, all in all, it was an awesome movie.

Jimbo
10-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I like Mandy Lieu better as well.

Lucas
10-26-2012, 01:25 PM
I actually missed this because of my vacation :(

it did not last in the theater here.

SPJ
10-28-2012, 07:39 AM
watching the making of the movies.

great.

http://shyhwenj.wordpress.com/2012/10/28/sohu-tv-app-on-windows-8/

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/SPJ/Blog/Screenshot19.png

:cool:

GeneChing
12-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Should be just in time for the sequel.

'Tai Chi Zero' Blu-ray Dated (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Well_Go_USA/Tai_Chi_Zero_Blu-ray_Dated_/10647)
Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 11:00 AM ET
http://www.highdefdigest.com/images/post/35/35545/original.x-png
Stephen Fung's ('House of Fury') steampunk martial arts epic will debut on Blu-ray in January.

In an early announcement to retailers, Well Go USA is prepping 'Tai Chi Zero' for a Blu-ray release on January 22.

Featuring martial arts choreography by the legendary Sammo Hung ('IP Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster'), the film follows Yang Luchan, a young genius who, tired of being picked on, travels to Chen Village to learn the art of Tai Chi. Luchan finds out the hard way that it is forbidden for a villager to teach an outsider when the villagers, from strong men to old women to little children, repeatedly challenge him to a series of fights, all of which he loses quite badly. But when a frightening army of steampunk soldiers bearing strange machines show up, the villagers realize that in order to save their home, they must trust this strange outsider with the knowledge of Tai Chi.

Specs have yet to be revealed, but the release will include Behind the Zenes, MuZic VideoZ, and TrailerZ.

Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is $29.98.

GeneChing
12-14-2012, 12:06 PM
EXCLUSIVE! TAI CHI ZERO Music Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkLtoDINEdw#!)

doug maverick
12-31-2012, 11:11 AM
i watched both back to back. and i enjoyed both, they were fun, funny, lots of energy, i really liked the choreography and the over style of the film, however i felt the editing was a bit choppy in some places you could kinda feel where scenes were cut, its always hard when you have to many characters in a movie, cause some of them fall by the way side..i was really interested in the sons wife a mute with badass kung fu skills. i loved that they took the story and legend of yang lu chan and turned into a crazy kung fu steam punk adventure. sammo hung once again shows why he is the best action director in the game, he can go from modern to traditional and inbetween and make it work, stephen fung (who btw went to school in the united states, so i would assume he speaks english gene, university of Michigan i believe) once again shows he has the chops as a visionary director, cant wait for the third part.

GeneChing
02-08-2013, 10:39 AM
...I'm holding out for the silver screen. It's such a treat to see Kung Fu movies in theaters again.

Meanwhile, check this out: Enter to win TAI CHI ZERO (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html)! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 02/21/2013. Good luck everyone!

Zenshiite
02-11-2013, 04:24 PM
I just watched Zero, plan to watch Hero soon. Frankly speaking, this is what The Last Airbender could have been. Complete with Yang Lu Chan going into the Avatar State whenever his "horn" was hit.

If only Sammo had been involved in that movie...

doug maverick
02-11-2013, 08:08 PM
sammo would have made a great iroh as well.

JamesC
02-12-2013, 12:09 AM
I watched it a while back and really liked it. The evil foreigner plot gets old, but still a good movie.

SPJ
02-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Saw both on Sunday or lunar new year day.

Entertaintment a +.

:)

GeneChing
02-27-2013, 10:41 AM
See our Tai Chi Zero winners thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65420).

sammo would have made a great iroh as well. Tru dat!

PalmStriker
09-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Watched both of these movies this weekend, this is how you bring real TAICHI to the Western World, all those Chinese people doing Tai Chi for Health forms in the park is because they can't afford to get sick, health care costs way too much on the Mainland. Keep that Chi motivated. Fung could make standing still (Zhan Zhuang) look fun and exciting. :)