PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Wong and Su Yu-Chang

CeruleanRyuujin
11-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any experience with Kurt Wong in Alaska or Su Yu-Chang in New York?

I have looked around and searched the forums and all I have really been able to find is youtube videos. The videos, especially the ones of Kurt wong's seminars in Norway, looked good.

They both seem like knowledgeable instructors. I know Kurt Wong learned under Su Yu-Change.

I am looking to get an idea of their instruction expertise... is it more towards learning forms or application of Mantis Boxing?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

jdhowland
11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Kurt Wong is a wealth of information and, from what I have seen, a very good instructor. I have known Kurt for about 25 years, trained with him and visited his class on occasion. Beyond some bung bou training with him some years ago I have no real experience in northern mantis so I'm not qualified to judge the quality, but in general, his kung fu is of a high order. In addition to mantis he also teaches bajiquan, chen jia taijiquan, tan tui and longfist basics.

As for teaching style, he is traditional in manners but also congenial and very easy to talk to. In recent years Kurt has left most of the basic instruction duties to his senior students but is usually in attendance for the advanced classes and is sometimes available for seminars. The greater part of his training sessions is spent on basic exercises and sets, but with a strong emphasis on technique and power development. In other words, he uses the sets as training tools to develop technique and power rather than as an end goal in training. I haven't yet seen free sparring in his classes but I know that he has experience in it himself and may reserve it for interested students.

Wong Shifu is commendable for his constant questioning and searching deeply into the roots of kung fu training rather than being limited by the concept of style.

If you have any specific questions you can contact him through his website or feel free to pm me and I can call him.

Be well.

nubianmantis
11-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Greetings family. The Real Question is do you have the Money and Time and Heart to Train with some of the Best mantis Men in north America. Both Sifu's; Wong and Su are well versed in Northern Mantis Styles.IMHO go visit and speak with each teacher then hit the floor training. be well. NM.

CeruleanRyuujin
11-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Good feedback so far! Thanks guys!

EarthDragon
11-25-2011, 05:59 AM
Su Yu Chang (my kung fu uncle) is one of the best mantis masters in his country. if you are serious about leraning then i would strongly suggest asking him to accept you as a student. you will not be disappointed, good luck with your training.