PDA

View Full Version : Kids Doing Wing Chun?

Yoshiyahu
11-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Would you want your kids doing Wing Chun?

If so why? To be good fighters or good artist?

To toughing them up so they wont be afraid to fight if someone bullies them?

Do you enroll them in Wing Chun not to be fighters but to be philospical artist who enjoy the beauty of TCMA?

Wing Chun is a martial art!!!

Do you enroll them for martial skill or artistic skill?

deejaye72
11-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Would you want your kids doing Wing Chun?

If so why? To be good fighters or good artist?

To toughing them up so they wont be afraid to fight if someone bullies them?

Do you enroll them in Wing Chun not to be fighters but to be philospical artist who enjoy the beauty of TCMA?

Wing Chun is a martial art!!!

Do you enroll them for martial skill or artistic skill?

my dad taught me siu nim tao when i was 7 or 8 years old! i will be 40 in january, wing chun has been a major part of who i am, i appreciate the fighting and the art as well as all the martial arts. i have started teaching my kids also, keep up the good work

anerlich
11-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Judging from the Gary Lam non-event, it's perfectly safe for kids because there isn't the slightest chance of anyone getting hurt.

GlennR
11-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Judging from the Gary Lam non-event, it's perfectly safe for kids because there isn't the slightest chance of anyone getting hurt.

Not so sure about that Andrew.... maybe safe in a physical sense, but its certainly emotionally and psychologically scarred some of the folks here!

deejaye72
11-26-2011, 06:15 PM
there is a lot of benefits in martial arts for kids, i know because i was a child martial artist. now this is a funny little story i am gonna tell not really self defense, but proves my point.

i would guess i was 7 years old my mom took me and my brother to a pizzeria across the street from saint dominic's church in bensonhurst brooklyn, we were sitting eating and the guy that worked there was hitting on my mom( she was a pretty lady back then) my mom was telling him " i'm married" he was saying "i dont care". my dad was teaching me karate , he was a black belt, he was always telling me to take care of my mom when we were out.

i got up from my chair and kicked him with a rear leg front kick and i was wearing my buster brown shoes (any one remember them, they werent wal-mart specials they had real hard soles lol) i kicked him right in the shin!! he grabbed his leg and jumped all over the store ha haha screw him thats what he gets for messing with my mom!!!

anyway he didnt bother her after that and when we got home my mom told pops what i did, he rubbed my head and said good boy! lol

i dont condone fighting but the confidence martial arts instill in a child is nothing short of amazing, as well as many many other benefits! keep teaching your children dont listen to what smart asses here say

EternalSpring
11-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Wow, awesome thread topic, i never really thought about this before.

Well, as of now, I would def teach my future kids (God willing) Ving Tsun, although it wouldn't be the first thing I teach em. I would still teach it to them early on in their childhood but there would also be other things that were taught alongside the Ving Tsun. For example, I'd most likely start them off with something light like the Yang 24 posture of Tai Chi and then add boxing and various kicking drills and train that for at least 1 year before beginning Ving Tsun. In short, I'd want to take everything I know (and regardless of anything I train, I consider Ving Tsun to be my true art, and everything i learn goes back into my Ving Tsun, sounds kung fu hippy-ish i know, but thats my view lol) and then organize it in what I think would be the best way possible for my children, and hopefully one day they'll do the same with the stuff I teach them and the stuff the learn afterwards.

The reason I'd want to invest so much into teaching them kung fu is not just for self defense and art (though those are important), but I'd hope that they get the same things (and more) out of it that I did (especially since they'll be starting ~10 years earlier). In short, a much better understanding of how to use their bodies. I wish i learned kung fu earlier, because after 2 years of training, it was like I became an athlete in almost anything id have some motivation to do (i hated and never played any sports before, except handball,which is the greatest sport of all that but that was at the same time i started kung fu). I guess every way and method of using one's own body optimally can be considered an art in a sense as well.

deejaye72
11-29-2011, 04:22 AM
[QUOTE=EternalSpring;1145821]Wow, awesome thread topic, i never really thought about this before.

it really has made my life more meaningful, am i the toughtest dude around "no!" but, it has been a blast and i have met some great people.

i also had to start my 2 kids out with just some basic tae kwon do kickboxing i learned as a kid as the wing chun is too much just yet. now my third child doesnt want anything to do with martial arts she's a girly girl, oh well i tried,and i dont want to push her as she may come around, i too went thru a stage as kid like that and my dad just let it go,when i hit 15 i wanted to learn so bad pops was ready.

handball, is great for hand eye coordination and footwork! similar to that, one wing chun sifu told me at a seminar that with the footwork you had to move like a tennis player,which was interesting since the footwork in wing chun seemed so robotic compared to the kickboxing i did. i think that will be my next thread, the footwork

Yoshiyahu
11-29-2011, 02:16 PM
great post guys!

deejaye72
11-29-2011, 05:21 PM
anyone else teach there kids wing chun or any martial arts and or is planning on teaching them? please reply

anerlich
12-04-2011, 05:57 PM
anyone else teach there kids wing chun or any martial arts and or is planning on teaching them?

Just about every BJJ, karate, or TKD school teaches kids. That's where the money and the future is.

I only teach adults, but some of my fellow students teach kids.

IMO kids and women make the training environment far more pleasant because the testosterone has to be held in check.

Grumblegeezer
12-05-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't teach kids. I tried to get my 13 year old son interested in WC/VT a while back. No luck. For him its computer games, guitar ...and Taekwondo "from a real sensei" and not dad (forget that I've been doing this more than twice as long as he's been alive).

On the other hand, my current instructor out in Austin has devleoped a great "kid's kung-fu" program based on WC/VT. It's working quite well for him... and his young students. As the kids mature, they can seamlessly segue into the adult "Ving Tsun" program. He's experimenting with a kids Escrima program too. Kids eat it up. No harm in that. As a parent, I certainly support anything to get kids off the video games, develop some fitness, coordination, and teach them a little discipline and respect.

-N-
12-05-2011, 05:57 PM
anyone else teach there kids wing chun or any martial arts and or is planning on teaching them? please reply

Not WC, but Praying Mantis. No pics of the kids, but here are some of the nephews.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/Mr_Ugly/download-1.gif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/Mr_Ugly/download-2.gif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/Mr_Ugly/download-4.gif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/Mr_Ugly/kf1_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/Mr_Ugly/kf2_a_GIFSoup_com.gif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/Mr_Ugly/download-5.gif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/Mr_Ugly/kf3_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

Sihing73
12-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Hello,

I have four children. My son is 19 and lives up North near Philly. I tried to teach him when he was younger and he was resistant. He did not like the way I fought. He went and trained under a Boxer and then came back to test me out. He was pretty embarased when I handled him easily. Prior to going to train with the boxer he used what I taught him when he got jumped at school by three other kids. He was in 8th or 9th grade. Anyhow, he kicked the crap out of all three of the other kids, so he did pick up something.

My other kids are living with me in GA and are girls. They are 13, 10 and 6 years old. My oldest is not interested in learning but the younger two are, my 10 year old should have been a boy, LOL.

I have started to teach the younger two Wing Chun and some Silat and Kali. My plan is to give both a foundation in Kali and then train one in Wing Chun and One in Silat. The Kali I am teaching them is of the Pekiti Tirsia line.

Not sure how it will turn out, but we'll give it a try.

My old Sifu and I had a deal that I would teach his kids the basics and then he would train them in the advanced stuff. Unfortunately, he and I lost touch prior to my training with Sifu Chow.

hulkout
12-07-2011, 06:21 AM
My daughter is only 3 right now, but I would like to eventually teach her. However, my sifu recently gave me his opinion and said that parents shouldn't teach their kids. Because they don't look at you as a sifu, but as dad. Even his kids were taught by sifus under him. He didn't teach them very much personally. I'd like her to learn, but I'm starting to think that it shouldn't be from me for these reasons.

Lee Chiang Po
12-07-2011, 02:54 PM
My dad taught me, I taught my son, he taught his son, and now he teaches his daughter. I was started at 10, my son was started at 10, and his son was started at 10, and then his daughter was started at 10. I was a strong disciplinarian, so is my son. This is important when raising children in todays world, as there are far too many distractions for them today. It is politically incorrect to physically punish your children, and the numbers and ages of the inmates in our prisons attest to the folly of this.
Of course, the major factor here has to be their interest in learning. If they are not interested you can not alter that. You might eventually make them hate it if you try to shove it on them.