PDA

View Full Version : why can't i do the spilts any more?

SanHeChuan
05-23-2001, 12:53 AM
Ok i could never go all the way down, but when i started i could go further down than i can now and i was improving. Now most beginners can go down ****her than me and i'm not even improving. I have to use my weight to go down as far as i do and i still feel like i'm not getting much of a stretch it's just kinda painful and like there's some kinda physical barrier. I can still kick as high as always though. What's the deal?

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

"Kung Fu begins with the conquering of the opponent and ends with the conquering of the self."

Mr. Nemo
05-23-2001, 02:13 AM
A physical barrier? How long have you been doing the splits? Are you tilting your hips forward as you go down (if it's a side split)?

Brian_CA
05-23-2001, 08:46 AM
Perhaps you have injuried you hips flexors. Either that or the area has become overly strong. Go back to the basic leg strech. Splits can be considered an advanced posture and are hard on the hips if not done with proper alignment, wieght distrubtion and regulated breathing.

Brian
San Francisco, CA

SanHeChuan
05-23-2001, 10:40 PM
i've been doing the slits regularly for almost three years, and yes i believe I do tilt my hips forward.

Brain, what basic leg stretch?

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

"Kung Fu begins with the conquering of the opponent and ends with the conquering of the self."

mad taoist
05-24-2001, 09:13 AM
Perhaps it is your bones preventing you from going down ? In my experience, certain bone structures can prevent flexibility, so to speak.

These days I can manage a forward splits, and I used to be able to do a side splits pretty well (as in close to) but I can't anymore -- training or something in the past now prevents me. My bones just won't give. Unfortunately, it is not really possible to stretch bones, and not something that is recommended.

Also, if / when you train, do you stretch when your muscles are growing ? If not, your muscles and tendons lose flexibility when they grow back / heal. Stretch not only before training but after while the muscle grows (as in the next few days afterward), otherwise you will lose flexibility. On the same note, do not over train to the point where you cannot stretch -- much flexibility will be lost. I learned this the hard way.

Good luck.

'If we do not go within, we go without'.

shaolinboxer
05-29-2001, 09:40 PM
The trick to getting past your stretching plateau is relaxation and rest. During your stretching sessions, go as far as you can and hold. Inhale deeply, and as you exhale RELAX deeply. Do not resist the pain, relax into it. If you feel discomfort the next day from the stretching, do not force a hard stretch on yourself. You will only open up larger tears in your muscle fibers. Instead, rest (by either taking a day or two off or doing a light warm up and light stretch the next time you practice) to allow yourself to heal. Then begin you stretching routine again. Healing and gradual stretching will not yield overnight results, but it will give you fairly permanent flexibilty and a better useful range of motion.

Mycin
06-07-2001, 02:44 AM
SanHeChuan,

I noticed from your profile that you're about 21 years old. I bet your problem is related to your body changing from "kid" to "adult". Your bone structure continues to change for years after you've supposedly "stopped growing" (at least mine did). I know my hip bones are considerably wider than when I was in my early twenties. (No, that's not all beer-gut, thank you very much!)

I don't claim to know if you can regain your previous flexibility, or not. I'm just spouting off what I suspect is the reason for the problem. You may just have to keep working on it until you can make up for the differences maturity brings.

Mycin