PDA

View Full Version : Have you sparred today ?

k gledhill
11-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Enjoy Happy Thanksgiving ! You can tell by the way I spar I'm streetfighting man ,

SPARRING (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wTGZvwZ9Gr4#!) :D

And a more serious quote ....good stuff :

This is a quote from Renzo Gracie, from the book "The Fighters Mind" by Sam Sheridan pg#238, when I read it it reminded me of VT ideas and how we should approach some of it's most important prinicples, transitions and simplicity.

"The most important part of jiu-jitsu is the middle of the way. It's the path between one position and another- the transition- that makes the difference between a mediocre fighter and a unbelievable fighter. A brusier, a guy who is just headbanging and pushing his way through, it stops when he meets someone stronger, and for every ten victories he'll have ten defeats. But when you have an understanding of the middle way, the ability to think and to see, your situation will get better."

"I realize now that my jiu-jitsu is much simpler than when I was a purple belt. When I was a purple belt I tried the most amazing moves- I ran a marathon to get five miles away. Now, everything is much clearer, you don't waste time or strength, you just go straight to the point. I used to see this on Rickson a lot- his jiu-jitsu is very simple, he just goes straight for the finish. Even though everyone knows what he's trying to do nobody can stop him. He's very simple, with direct moves and objectivies. He'll go right there and get you right there. Even thought you knew what was happining, his precision and his tightness were so good that you couldn't stop him. The better you get the simplier everything gets."

Drake
11-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Enjoy Happy Thanksgiving ! You can tell by the way I spar I'm streetfighting man ,

SPARRING (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wTGZvwZ9Gr4#!) :D

This is a quote from Renzo Gracie, from the book "The Fighters Mind" by Sam Sheridan pg#238, when I read it it reminded me of VT ideas and how we should approach some of it's most important prinicples, transitions and simplicity.

"The most important part of jiu-jitsu is the middle of the way. It's the path between one position and another- the transition- that makes the difference between a mediocre fighter and a unbelievable fighter. A brusier, a guy who is just headbanging and pushing his way through, it stops when he meets someone stronger, and for every ten victories he'll have ten defeats. But when you have an understanding of the middle way, the ability to think and to see, your situation will get better."

"I realize now that my jiu-jitsu is much simpler than when I was a purple belt. When I was a purple belt I tried the most amazing moves- I ran a marathon to get five miles away. Now, everything is much clearer, you don't waste time or strength, you just go straight to the point. I used to see this on Rickson a lot- his jiu-jitsu is very simple, he just goes straight for the finish. Even though everyone knows what he's trying to do nobody can stop him. He's very simple, with direct moves and objectivies. He'll go right there and get you right there. Even thought you knew what was happining, his precision and his tightness were so good that you couldn't stop him. The better you get the simplier everything gets."

That, sir, was a mighty fine clip!

Sean66
11-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Great quote by Gracie! Thanks for sharing!

nasmedicine
11-25-2011, 12:03 PM

very true and funny video. nice find! :D

deejaye72
11-25-2011, 04:47 PM
ha ha lol funny clip,a lot of truth to it

Wayfaring
11-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Funny video. The points from it apply 1000x to chi sau.

Now what is it that you are doing quoting Renzo Gracie on a WCK forum? That's just craziness. Didn't you know that what you really need to do is find yourself a Genuine Authentic TCMA (TM) Master who will supply you with everything you need to beat Rickson? Take that funky zhoo zhitsu karate stuff over to your MMA forums and only post opinions from your TCMA masters like Philipp Bayer.

Thank you.

:D

k gledhill
11-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Funny video. The points from it apply 1000x to chi sau.

Now what is it that you are doing quoting Renzo Gracie on a WCK forum? That's just craziness. Didn't you know that what you really need to do is find yourself a Genuine Authentic TCMA (TM) Master who will supply you with everything you need to beat Rickson? Take that funky zhoo zhitsu karate stuff over to your MMA forums and only post opinions from your TCMA masters like Philipp Bayer.

Thank you.

:D

It may apply to your views of chi-sao, not ours...

The R.G. article is apropos to VT directness, point to point, with the transitions from moves or 'details' making the difference from good VT to awesome VT. Coupled with the intent to end through strong determined simple techniques, practiced repeatedly to become mindless, intuitive.

trubblman
11-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Seems like a good number of those who got knocked out were sucker punched. Or as we say in Baltimore (MD, USA) their assailant snuck them.

k gledhill
11-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Im sure we all have some stories of crazy sh*t we have seen ...I remember two guys in a bar who started to argue about who supported what soccer team, it ended up outside with each taking haymakers at the other while grabbing clothing, spinning 360 swings following running charges....great with a beer in hand :D why we pay good money to have it exactly when we want to see it instead of waiting and never knowing when it will happen, wait was I talking about fighting :D:D my old age :rolleyes:

mjw
11-26-2011, 09:45 PM
transitions are what is learned and individualized anyone can do a few positions it's getting there.....

Wayfaring
11-28-2011, 09:49 AM
It may apply to your views of chi-sao, not ours...

My or "our" view of chi sau is more all-inclusive free movement exchanges. I'm not sure what your views are.

My observation was the video addresses a blind spot in "sparring" where if you become complacent it no longer directly applies to self defense scenarios. The common view and practice of chi sau in WCK is very much a complacent exercise with little resemblance to real fighting OR self-defense.

The R.G. article is apropos to VT directness, point to point, with the transitions from moves or 'details' making the difference from good VT to awesome VT. Coupled with the intent to end through strong determined simple techniques, practiced repeatedly to become mindless, intuitive.

Renzo is right. The more my ground game progresses the more my game evolves to simple direct fundamentals. I'm not at the end of that journey but far enough along to recognize the wisdom in his observations.

Yes, good WCK should also develop those principles.

k gledhill
11-28-2011, 02:55 PM
My or "our" view of chi sau is more all-inclusive free movement exchanges. I'm not sure what your views are.

My observation was the video addresses a blind spot in "sparring" where if you become complacent it no longer directly applies to self defense scenarios. The common view and practice of chi sau in WCK is very much a complacent exercise with little resemblance to real fighting OR self-defense.

Renzo is right. The more my ground game progresses the more my game evolves to simple direct fundamentals. I'm not at the end of that journey but far enough along to recognize the wisdom in his observations.

Yes, good WCK should also develop those principles.

Chi-sao is the most misunderstood drill on the planet.