PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Levitation

Lucas
11-25-2011, 01:04 PM
so obviously acoustic levitation is a proven science...just makes you wonder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94KzmB2bI7s

http://www.crystalinks.com/levitationtibet.html

Drake
11-25-2011, 04:57 PM
I'll take "Things to which you say NO" for $1000, Alex.

Lucas
11-25-2011, 06:30 PM
LOL
but i showed video proof? :eek:

Drake
11-25-2011, 06:52 PM
LOL
but i showed video proof? :eek:

I know, right? On this forum, videos are like bringing you the skeleton of christ.

Lucas
11-25-2011, 06:53 PM
LOL!!!!! put a really funny image in my head there.

Syn7
11-26-2011, 05:59 PM
I know, right? On this forum, videos are like bringing you the skeleton of christ.

well, not top be an ass. but wtf would a 2000 year old skeleton matter without anything to match it to? im sure there are tons of cats who are displaying the bones of christ... prolly even cost you a dollar to see. ;)

David Jamieson
11-27-2011, 07:36 AM
so obviously acoustic levitation is a proven science...just makes you wonder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94KzmB2bI7s

http://www.crystalinks.com/levitationtibet.html

Yes it is bonafide. Yes it was known to the ancients..well, some of them. :-)
Yes it can lift living stone that resonates.

Syn7
11-29-2011, 08:30 PM

doesnt change anything. it's a fact. and easy to prove at that.

Syn7
11-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes it is bonafide. Yes it was known to the ancients..well, some of them. :-)
Yes it can lift living stone that resonates.

yeah but i doubt they understood WHY it worked...

SoCo KungFu
11-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Do we really need to get into the difference between lifting styrofoam balls a few inches off a table in a closed air system with emitters not but a couple inches away vs. lobbing boulders a couple hundred meters in the air with some drums over half a football field away in an open environment? Maybe from now on Stomp should have a disclaimer, "Audience members may randomly fly into rafters"....

This technology was researched for NASA to remove DUST in near zero atmospheric conditions

RenDaHai
11-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Whey!!!

I did my dissertation on Acoustic levitation! Really!

What does the video show? I can't watch You tube.

We used an emitter and a reflector to produce a standing wave which would levitate objects at the nodes. The object had to be smaller than the wavelength. Also pretty darn light.

It was many years ago now, but when researching it I came across stories just like the one above. Many of them from all over the world. The method we used could not be used to fire rocks in a projectile fashion. But we have all seen the video of that bridge being torn apart by resonant frequencies, so its possible to generate that kind of power by it accumulating in the objects vibration. Its an area that needs more research.

David Jamieson
11-30-2011, 07:42 AM
yeah but i doubt they understood WHY it worked...

Dude...we don't understand why a lot of things work. We just observe that they do work and we can predict results.

What we don't know outweighs everything we do know by far.

Drake
11-30-2011, 08:39 AM
do we really need to get into the difference between lifting styrofoam balls a few inches off a table in a closed air system with emitters not but a couple inches away vs. Lobbing boulders a couple hundred meters in the air with some drums over half a football field away in an open environment? Maybe from now on stomp should have a disclaimer, "audience members may randomly fly into rafters"....

This technology was researched for nasa to remove dust in near zero atmospheric conditions

+1.

MightyB
11-30-2011, 11:22 AM
I thought this thread was about what happens after eating at taco bell.

Isn't that 'acoustic' levitation?

Syn7
12-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Do we really need to get into the difference between lifting styrofoam balls a few inches off a table in a closed air system with emitters not but a couple inches away vs. lobbing boulders a couple hundred meters in the air with some drums over half a football field away in an open environment? Maybe from now on Stomp should have a disclaimer, "Audience members may randomly fly into rafters"....

that would be pretttyt sweet tho, you gotta admit...

Drake
12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
That would be like referring to the Hallidron Collider and then supposing you could do the same thing with your mind.

Lucas
12-01-2011, 05:39 PM
are you trying to tell me i wont find the 'god particle' using my mind?!?!

Drake
12-01-2011, 05:42 PM

I wouldn't tell you that if I thought it might make you cry.

Lucas
12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
:mad:lol i dont have a come back :mad:

Syn7
12-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Dude...we don't understand why a lot of things work. We just observe that they do work and we can predict results.

What we don't know outweighs everything we do know by far.

another example of someone with an exellent grasp of the obvious. but thanx.

and for the record, anyone with ten minutes and an internet conection can tell you WHY styrofoam moves in that chamber.

Syn7
12-01-2011, 05:58 PM

no, but if ur lucky you'll find a graviton...

mickey
12-01-2011, 08:24 PM
This is Boulder Dash!!!

Giveaway #1:

- The bounce of the objects that is usually associated with an upward column of air. Levitating objects should not have that bounce at all.

Giveaway #2:

- The change in rotation speed of said objects without a modulation in sound frequency. There should be a change in sound frequency concomitant with the change in speed and/or direction.

mickey

SoCo KungFu
12-01-2011, 09:13 PM
This is Boulder Dash!!!

Giveaway #1:

- The bounce of the objects that is usually associated with an upward column of air. Levitating objects should not have that bounce at all.

Giveaway #2:

- The change in rotation speed of said objects without a modulation in sound frequency. There should be a change in sound frequency concomitant with the change in speed and/or direction.

mickey

Bounce can be attributed to beats. ie. points where the frequency of the emitters are not in concert with the natural frequency of the objects. In other words, resonance is disturbed.

A column of air is simply moving air particles. Moving particles exert a force on whatever objects they contact. Sound vibrations are simply vibrating (ie moving, just not displacing) air particles. They exert a force on whatever they contact. The medium is the same. The end results are the same. The only difference is the mechanic involved. An air column is a steady force exerted over time. Sound emission (acoustic levitation) is many forces repeated over time. Its easier to think of it in terms of impulse. The waves have such a high frequency that for practical purposes, they act as a steady force on the styrofoam. The end result is the same.

mickey
12-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi SoCo Kung Fu,

I do understand what you are saying and I believe acoustic levitation is possible. I just do not believe the presentation. If they had demonstrated the cup open side up floating without a bounce I might not think it to be a fake presentation. I have seen that before using air.

mickey

SoCo KungFu
12-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Hi SoCo Kung Fu,

I do understand what you are saying and I believe acoustic levitation is possible. I just do not believe the presentation. If they had demonstrated the cup open side up floating without a bounce I might not think it to be a fake presentation. I have seen that before using air.

mickey

Where would the air be coming from. They even pan out from the camera view. Its a solid surface at the base. Its even shining so you if there were tiny perforations like on an air hockey table, you'd see them. But its just a solid base. No where for an air jet to enter.

wenshu
12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't know about acoustic levitation but this is pure legitimate awesomeness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6AAhTw7RA

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/401902/november-09-2011/americone-dream-of-the-future

http://www.quantumlevitation.com/levitation/The_physics.html

Lucas
12-02-2011, 10:20 AM
there's these guys that did that same thing with one of those matchbox car tracks and have the object propelled along the track with a kicker...the only downside is that **** has to be COOOOLLLLDDD

Lucas
12-02-2011, 10:21 AM
are you guys into perpetual motion magnetic power generation?

wenshu
12-02-2011, 10:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy0UBpagsu8

Lucas
12-02-2011, 10:35 AM
**** you i have no sound :mad:

Syn7
12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Ahhhhh, The Meissner effect. I was just reading about this awhile ago. Not this experiment. It was about superconductors and how the react with magnetic field. Crazy how Meissner and Ochsenfeld did that work so long ago. I doubt they saw this comming tho. This experiment is pretty significant. ZERO energy loss is something worth talking about.

do you think that under the right natural conditions one could create perpetual motion this way? I s'pose I'll have to go read that article yall posted huh....