PDA

View Full Version : Which of the following are Wing Chun punches?

IronFist
11-29-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm kind of confused about wing chun. I'm hoping that the Wing Chun guys here can help clarify for me which (if any) of these punches are Wing Chun punches, and which (if any) are not Wing Chun punches:

A.
http://i42.tinypic.com/11izdvm.gif

B.
http://i43.tinypic.com/wvrfpi.jpg

C.
http://i40.tinypic.com/htxjly.jpg

Sihing73
11-29-2011, 04:14 PM
While B could represent the traditional WC Straight punch, the thumb is not positioned correctly. Placed as it is pictured the thumb is in a position to be damaged very easily, imo.

IronFist
11-29-2011, 04:53 PM
While B could represent the traditional WC Straight punch, the thumb is not positioned correctly. Placed as it is pictured the thumb is in a position to be damaged very easily, imo.

I didn't even notice that, and I agree. I have replaced it with another pic.

WC1277
11-29-2011, 05:54 PM
None of them....

Grumblegeezer
11-29-2011, 08:25 PM
What's the point of this thread, anyway?

IronFist
11-29-2011, 11:22 PM
What's the point of this thread, anyway?

Some TCMA people were telling me that certain punches were Wing Chun punches (horizontal fist, crosses, chambered at the hip and chin, boxing punches taken from MMA events, etc.).

They tried to say that because the fighters were using sound principles and good structure to throw the punches, that they were therefore Wing Chun punches.

I said it was nonsense. I did not think they were Wing Chun punches because they were not vertical fist punches striking with the bottom three knuckles, nor were they thrown using WC centerline structure, nor did they look like anything I've ever seen in Wing Chun, so I wanted to come here and ask the experts.

It made about as much sense to me as saying that heavy metal musicians play notes on guitar, and country musicians play notes on guitar, therefore country music is heavy metal music.

It seems most of the people here agree with me.

My thanks to the Wing Chun forum.

Paul T England
11-30-2011, 01:47 AM
depends on which wing chun you do? Many styles with crazy variations around the world.

Ask yourself what the difference is between the level fist and vertical (Sun) fist?

Ask yourself if different fighting situations may require different punches?

Picture B would be considered a regular wing chun style punch

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

LoneTiger108
11-30-2011, 04:29 AM
Picture B would be considered a regular wing chun style punch

Agreed. Albeit one that will break your own wrist if you hit hard like that!

The Wing Chun I have been exposed to actually has many fists, although the vertical 'sun' fist was one of the main ones. We always start with tansau kuen with beginners, before the 'sun' fist is introduced :D

Addiwei
11-30-2011, 06:47 AM
The punch that hits the opponent...

IronFist
11-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Agreed. Albeit one that will break your own wrist if you hit hard like that

Why, because the fist is angled back a little bit as opposed to being a straight line from the elbow to the end of the fist?

trubblman
11-30-2011, 01:53 PM
My answer: IMO none are by the book VT punches. But VT is a subset of fighting so if you find yourself in a fight do what you gotta do to win, even if its a flying spinning ax kick.

Grumblegeezer
11-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Some TCMA people were telling me that certain punches were Wing Chun punches (horizontal fist, crosses, chambered at the hip and chin, boxing punches taken from MMA events, etc.).

They tried to say that because the fighters were using sound principles and good structure to throw the punches, that they were therefore Wing Chun punches.

Thanks for explaining the OP, and BTW I'd totally agree that the position those TCMA guys were taking is pretty far fetched. On the other hand, my old WC sifu, who was in fact a real stickler about correct technique, said something similar.... namely that if you really understood and applied the concepts of the WC system, you could move with the outward appearance of another style and still make your movements work, since at the core, they would still be Wing Chun.