PDA

View Full Version : Book, DVD, or both?

YouKnowWho
11-29-2011, 08:52 PM
If you are interesting in certain TCMA, Assuming there is a book and a DVD that contain the same information.

Will you:

- just buy the DVD?
- just buy the book? or
- buy both?

What's your opinion on this?

-N-
11-29-2011, 09:01 PM
D. None of the above.
E. Find a qualified teacher.
F. Both D and E.

Fa Xing
11-29-2011, 09:04 PM
If I want to learn about the system in terms of how I would counter their movements, then I would just probably by the book unless there is something I like and want to absorb in my structure.

If I wanted to learn their "system" then I would just do as -N- suggested (despite his apparent jump to conclusions).

-N-
11-29-2011, 09:07 PM
If I want to learn about the system in terms of how I would counter their movements, then I would just probably by the book unless there is something I like and want to absorb in my structure.

If I wanted to learn their "system" then I would just do as -N- suggested (despite his apparent jump to conclusions).

Not jumping to conclusions. Just being obnoxious :D

Actually, out of interest, I'd probably get both just to collect them. If they looked decent, that is.

Lots of bad books and dvds out there though. Thus the "none of the above".

Fa Xing
11-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Not jumping to conclusions. Just being obnoxious :D

Actually, out of interest, I'd probably get both just to collect them. If they looked decent, that is.

Lots of bad books and dvds out there though. Thus the "none of the above".

No worries, meant it a lot nicer than it read, probably should put one of those smileys next to it ;)

dirtyrat
11-29-2011, 09:11 PM
dvd. MA is about movement and that can't be capture in a book. though it would only benefit you if you have already strong basics down from another TCMA.

YouKnowWho
11-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Another question. In the book, do you prefer color picures, or you don't care if the pictures are black/white as long as it's cheaper?

-N-
11-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Another question. In the book, do you prefer color picures, or you don't care if the pictures are black/white as long as it's cheaper?

Are you putting out a book/dvd?

I'll probably get them.

Color preferred, but cheaper is good too.

-N-
11-29-2011, 09:22 PM
So download from piratebay is not a good option?

:D

dirtyrat
11-29-2011, 09:37 PM

as long as the resolution is good...

Thomas316
11-30-2011, 12:12 AM
youknowwho,

why do you ask? are you thinking about making books and dvds?

YouKnowWho
11-30-2011, 12:19 AM
youknowwho,

why do you ask? are you thinking about making books and dvds?

The title is "Combat Shuai Chiao Enter and Finish Strategies". It's almost finished and should come out next year.

The Chinese terms will be included as:

吸捆(Xi Kun) - Sticky Tie

抱(Bao) - Embrace
磨(Mo) - Spin
轟(Hong) - Herd
穿(Chuan) - Herd, Peirce leg
搵(Wen) - Waist Lift

There will be no history section, no SC jacket used in any picture. This may be the 1st "no-gi" combat SC book.

-N-
11-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Nice :cool:

EarthDragon
11-30-2011, 03:39 AM
wait for it to come on nextflix for free. :D

Thomas316
11-30-2011, 05:09 AM
youknowwho,

thanks for the response. i dont think i truly understand the content. will any throws be demonstrated? will the book be on baoding shuai jiao?

MightyB
11-30-2011, 05:44 AM
The title is "Combat Shuai Chiao Enter and Finish Strategies". It's almost finished and should come out next year. Here are general content.

1. Get leading leg (16 different ways to get "single leg").
2. Get back leg (10 different ways to get back leg).
3. Head lock (20 different ways to apply head lock) .
4. Over hook (...).
5. Under hook.
6. Sticky tie.
7. Leading arm jam back arm.
8. Elbow lock.
9. Neck mop.
10. Defense and counter.

吸捆(Xi Kun) - Sticky Tie

抱(Bao) - Embrace
磨(Mo) - Spin
轟(Hong) - Herd
搵(Wen) - Waist Lift

There will be no history section, no SC jacket used in any picture. This may be the 1st "no-gi" combat SC book.

Fu*king cool! Now I know the second MA book I'm getting right after I purchase Gene's.

Let us know when and where to purchase it.

MightyB
11-30-2011, 05:46 AM
Both are ideal.

DVD to see the techniques in action,
Book to read the theory.

Plus it's hard to watch a DVD while taking a dump ;)

Thomas316
11-30-2011, 06:04 AM
mightyb,

what kind of book is gene writing? where can i purchase it?

MightyB
11-30-2011, 06:09 AM
mightyb,

what kind of book is gene writing? where can i purchase it?

LOL

You mean you haven't heard of Shaolin Trips? :eek:

Gene, your post-fu is proving to be ineffective!

ShaolinDan
11-30-2011, 08:02 AM
The title is "Combat Shuai Chiao Enter and Finish Strategies". It's almost finished and should come out next year. Here are general content.

4. Over hook (...).
5. Under hook.
6. Sticky tie.
8. Elbow lock.
9. Neck mop.
10. Defense and counter.

吸捆(Xi Kun) - Sticky Tie

抱(Bao) - Embrace
磨(Mo) - Spin
轟(Hong) - Herd
搵(Wen) - Waist Lift

Nice! :D Look forward to it.
Personally I would prefer book and DVD together--each medium is better at conveying certain kinds of information.

Fa Xing
11-30-2011, 10:35 AM

4. Over hook (...).
5. Under hook.
6. Sticky tie.
8. Elbow lock.
9. Neck mop.
10. Defense and counter.

吸捆(Xi Kun) - Sticky Tie

抱(Bao) - Embrace
磨(Mo) - Spin
轟(Hong) - Herd
搵(Wen) - Waist Lift

Sounds cool, for your stuff I'd probably get a book/dvd combo, and maybe trick my wife into a trip to central california to meet up with you :D.

GeneChing
11-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Get as much information as possible from every potential source. Even poor information is useful as it provides insight into why someone might practice something improperly. Support the martial arts community by supporting the economy.

Drake
11-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Get as much information as possible from every potential source. Even poor information is useful as it provides insight into why someone might practice something improperly. Support the martial arts community by supporting the economy.

Gene,
Do you guys carry any CLF stuff? I'll check later, but right now I'm saving lives and hunting bad guys...

YouKnowWho
11-30-2011, 11:54 AM
i dont think i truly understand the content. will any throws be demonstrated? will the book be on baoding shuai jiao?

The throw will be part of the finish moves. The book is Baoding SC + longfist + prey mantis + ... since kicks, punches, and locks are integrated into it.

Here are 2 examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7fuYdj-WxQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFYu9J2UOJQ

I may use my favor "outer twist" picture as my cover page since nobody had ever used that before.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6751/myoutertwist.jpg

Lucas
11-30-2011, 12:34 PM
I will definately buy both from you.

mickey
11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Greetings,

The book and companion dvd is the way to go as far as instructional products go. Both offer detail insights that the other may miss.

Color photos work well. Just get the angles right.

and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

mickey

GeneChing
11-30-2011, 04:23 PM
LOL

You mean you haven't heard of Shaolin Trips? :eek:

Gene, your post-fu is proving to be ineffective!
It's like when your doing some light contact sparring and you keep landing, but your sparring partner doesn't acknowledge it, so you gotta hit harder and harder.
Shaolin Trips by Gene Ching (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57311)
Buy Shaolin Trips here. (http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Trips-Gene-Ching/dp/1424308976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276188031&sr=1-1)

Gene,
Do you guys carry any CLF stuff? I'll check later, but right now I'm saving lives and hunting bad guys...
Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu (http://www.martialartsmart.com/choy-lay-fut-kung-fu.html)

Golden Arms
11-30-2011, 05:11 PM
John,

Release the book, and if you are able, a DVD as well. It will be a great resource, I am glad to hear you are deciding to put it out there. :D

mooyingmantis
11-30-2011, 05:16 PM
I know that some are against the use of books and videos for learning, but I have a very different opinion.

IMO, if one of my students cannot learn a form of a similar style from a DVD, I am a failure as a teacher or they are a dimwit.

There are many excellent DVDs out today on various styles. Some are very detailed and are just like being there in person.

The biggest drawback of trying to learn from a DVD is LACK OF FEEDBACK. This is where review by a teacher becomes very important.

I travel to Indiana a few times a year to teach my students residing there. Between visits, I post videos on YouTube as a refresher of what I taught or as a means of clarifying ideas they did not seem to get when I was there. This has proven to be an effective method for teaching long distance.

YouKnowWho
11-30-2011, 05:50 PM
I know that some are against the use of books and videos for learning, but I have a very different opinion.

IMO, if one of my students cannot learn a form of a similar style from a DVD, I am a failure as a teacher or they are a dimwit.

There are many excellent DVDs out today on various styles. Some are very detailed and are just like being there in person.

The biggest drawback of trying to learn from a DVD is LACK OF FEEDBACK. This is where review by a teacher becomes very important.

I travel to Indiana a few times a year to teach my students residing there. Between visits, I post videos on YouTube as a refresher of what I taught or as a means of clarifying ideas they did not seem to get when I was there. This has proven to be an effective method for teaching long distance.

If your student has training partner, and can also send you his clip for you to comment on it, the long distance learning will have value. It's better to provide your students the following 4 pieces of materials:

- How to train with partner,
- How to train without partner,
- How to develop Gong,
- How to use equipments to enhance it.

SPJ
11-30-2011, 07:23 PM
If you are interesting in certain TCMA, Assuming there is a book and a DVD that contain the same information.

Will you:

- just buy the DVD?
- just buy the book? or
- buy both?

We may discuss or say more in a book, provided that you already know the moves or postures.

Videos are good for some illustration purposes.

but we have to learn all the in's and out's directly from a live teacher first hand.

Books and videos are learning tools

However, nothing would take the place of a direct lesson from a teacher first hand.

With mobile devices abounding these days, me and some friends are actively involved in developing some apps related to CMA in general.

People may download them free from android market or apple app stores etc.

:)

Drake
11-30-2011, 08:47 PM

Dale,
GM Doc Fai Wong has you videotape yourself... and he's pretty good about getting corrections back to you. I'm at the point now where I'm stuck until I go see him in person for live lessons.

SPJ
11-30-2011, 09:46 PM

4. Over hook (...).
5. Under hook.
6. Sticky tie.
8. Elbow lock.
9. Neck mop.
10. Defense and counter.

吸捆(Xi Kun) - Sticky Tie

抱(Bao) - Embrace
磨(Mo) - Spin
轟(Hong) - Herd
搵(Wen) - Waist Lift

cool.

:cool:

Drake
11-30-2011, 09:52 PM
It's like when your doing some light contact sparring and you keep landing, but your sparring partner doesn't acknowledge it, so you gotta hit harder and harder.
Shaolin Trips by Gene Ching (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57311)
Buy Shaolin Trips here. (http://www.amazon.com/Shaolin-Trips-Gene-Ching/dp/1424308976/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276188031&sr=1-1)

Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu (http://www.martialartsmart.com/choy-lay-fut-kung-fu.html)

****....now I have to buy something.....

mooyingmantis
12-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Dale,
GM Doc Fai Wong has you videotape yourself... and he's pretty good about getting corrections back to you. I'm at the point now where I'm stuck until I go see him in person for live lessons.

I'm not Dale, I'm Richard. Richard is much prettier than Dale! :)

Kidding aside, sounds like a good idea DFW has. Video based learning is nothing new. Hung Gar master Bucksam Kong had a video learning program back in the early 80's.

SPJ
12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Over the years, I have collected many notes, articles, manuals and books etc.

Not everything is published as a finished book.

There are many talks, handwritten manuals, scripts and notes etc.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/SPJ/33213_bo.jpg

I have collected many stuff from Adam Hsu etc.

:)

SPJ
12-01-2011, 07:42 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/SPJ/Bachi14.jpg

Out of prints manuals etc.

:cool:

IronFist
12-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Will you:

- just buy the DVD?
- just buy the book? or
- buy both?

There seems to be minimal quality control when it comes to MA books and DVDs.

I would say a good book is better than a crappy DVD, and a good DVD is better than a crappy book.

So I guess it depends.

I remember like 15 years ago I got some "sampler" video from some MA video company that showed clips from all their different videos. Man, they were all awful. The sampler was helpful cuz it made me realize I don't want to order any of their products. I forgot what company it was though, but most of them were literally some dude in a gi talking like he was an expert despite having no idea wtf he was talking about (pretty much the same thing that happens online, lol). I swear some of them were making up their "techniques" on the spot.

So...

Good book > bad DVD

Good DVD > bad book

If the quality was the same, I'd pick the DVD. Books can't teach motion or give you a flavor of the feel.

IronFist
12-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Oh I didn't read the thread and didn't realize you're putting out your own material. I thought you were wondering which one to buy.

Do both if you have the means.

If you're teaching techniques, do a DVD.

If you're just giving a demonstration of techniques for academic purposes, do a book.

Yum Cha
12-02-2011, 01:22 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if someone said the same, count it as a vote of support....

I reckon both, complimentary in nature, not copies of each other. DVD alone isn't the full package, so people won't just copy a friends DVD, they have a reason to buy their own copy.

Book with sections that correspond to the DVD, with some illustrations or photos, then the item done live on DVD. Also, history, old stories and photos work better in a book.

Maybe add an interactive element to the DVD, depends on what you're doing.

Nice box set, under the tree for every Martial Artist in the country!

:D

SPJ
12-03-2011, 08:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZOrNlJHXBM&list=FL7SVmcQWM1Lx0ExaHE2bpGw&index=167&feature=plpp_video

due to introduction of iPhone 4s, we have seen record number of app downloading in the month of October, 2011.

here is an iPhone app related to CMA.

my point is that

in addition to DVD, books, please also include app publication.

people may refer to the moves on their iPhone or android smartphone anywhere anytime. that is.

;)