Ok guys,

Which Families have drunken forms?

WHF northern Mantis has 3?

CCM & LKW don't have any?

Are they in mainland 7 Star?

Paul

CeruleanRyuujin
12-01-2011, 02:43 PM
I know as of the 1983 curriculum, Wah Lum had a drunken form.

MightyB
12-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I sometimes wonder if there is an underlying rationale for teaching and learning drunken forms. I understand and know the common theory and rationale, all about feinting drunkenness, and surprise techniques... but that doesn't quite get it for me. I've see and been drunk, real drunk before, throw up at 8:30pm drunk, sick for two days drunk, pee on the television in the dark thinking it was a toilet drunk... anyway, never seen anyone stumble like a drunken form when they're actually drunk.

I think drunken is more about teaching yao and gong. Yao through an extreme example. Look at it, yao then gong, extreme yao then gong. I think that's the true intent of the form - to begin to learn how the interplay of yao and gong is supposed to work.

Almost like tai chi when you think about it.

uki
12-01-2011, 04:05 PM
if anything drunken forms create a physical body that is able to adapt to all the whacked out positions one might find themselves in during a fight... more control of the offset balances that may arise. :)

mooyingmantis
12-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Paul,
Though not really a "drunken" form, parts of the Taiji Tanglangquan family has a seventh section of Zhai Yao (Essentials) that emphasizes di gong (earth skills).

Taiji Tanglangquan (CCK) has a di gong form that you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOd3J8-uEWQ&feature=related

As a side note, back in the 80's I remember seeing a Mantis form demonstrated by Shifu Patrick Hodges that emphasized ground skills.

At Yang Shuton's Hall of Fame Championships this Fall one of my kung fu brothers, under Mike Biggie, won first place in forms with his performance of the HK mantis Drunken Lohan form. :)

Radplaiddude
12-03-2011, 04:45 PM
CCK TCPM has 2 Drunken forms I know of. Here is one of them done by a senior student Blair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XFUvacNFw

Radplaiddude
12-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Mooying Mantis that looks like the ground mantis form vice drunken.

YouKnowWho
12-03-2011, 05:17 PM
The druken form can be very good training for "water strategy". You train yourself to response in different ways depend on how your opponent will attak you. It's an excellent way to develop your counter attack skill. A simple example will be, your opponent uses hook punch at your head, you dodge under it, and then use bear hug to take him down. (pretend that you are drunk and can keep your own balance).

mooyingmantis
12-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Mooying Mantis that looks like the ground mantis form vice drunken.

Yes, it is the ground mantis form of Chui Chuk Kai lineage. I didn't mean to imply that it is "drunken".