PDA

View Full Version : Sticking and Bridging

Yoshiyahu
12-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Are you suppose ever stick to an opponent when you use Wing Chun?

Are you suppose to establish a bridge when sparring?

Chum Kiu kuit kuen says to establish a bridge?

- Create a bridge if the opponent's bridge is not present; nullify the bridge according to how it is presented.

- Where is the opponent's bridge to be found? Chum Kiu guides the way.

So do you stick to Wooden man at any time in your wing chun?

- The arm bridge sticks to the hands of the Wooden Man while moving; adhesion power when achieved will be a threatening force.

How does having a bridge benefit you?

- Touching the opponent's arm bridge makes the situation more favorable.

So sticking allows you to control your opponent?

- Sticking to the opponent while shifting hand position shows good control of the situation.

if your opponent sticks to you does he has the advantage?

- Being stuck to by the opponent while attempting to shift your own hand position cannot produce the intended result.

Does this only mean in chi sau or also in sparring too?

- As long as you are sticking to your opponent, you are unlikely to lose. A well trained waist can prevent loss of balance.

k gledhill
12-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Not establish a bridge like touch an arm, it means bridge a gap between your opponent, using kicks, stance shifting, motion and angling.
We dont stick to the dummy either .

Yoshiyahu
12-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Not establish a bridge like touch an arm, it means bridge a gap between your opponent, using kicks, stance shifting, motion and angling.
We dont stick to the dummy either .

- The arm bridge sticks to the hands of the Wooden Man while moving; adhesion power when achieved will be a threatening force.

k gledhill
12-03-2011, 07:36 AM

The arm bridge does not stick to the hands of the Wooden Man while moving; adhesion power will not be a threatening force.

When is the last time you knocked a guy out by sticking threateningly to their arms ??

come on ! :D

Many view CK as a defensive form, we view it as attacking. Coupled with the ideas of lat sao chit chung that implies a hand NOT touching hits without hesitation, a space between you and I needs to be attacked without hesitation to end the fight as quickly as possible.
So this leads us to NOT try and seek to make controlling contact with arms, except to displace them from our intended strike path, or through interceptions along our lines.

Yoshiyahu
12-03-2011, 09:20 AM
I simply qouted the kuit kuen, if you dont believe in the chops thats fine...

But real wing chun is based on kuit kuen!!!

The arm bridge does not stick to the hands of the Wooden Man while moving; adhesion power will not be a threatening force.

When is the last time you knocked a guy out by sticking threateningly to their arms ??

Many view CK as a defensive form, we view it as attacking. Coupled with the ideas of lat sao chit chung that implies a hand NOT touching hits without hesitation, a space between you and I needs to be attacked without hesitation to end the fight as quickly as possible.
So this leads us to NOT try and seek to make controlling contact with arms, except to displace them from our intended strike path, or through interceptions along our lines.

k gledhill
12-03-2011, 09:41 AM

Who wrote them ? :D

Vajramusti
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If no competent person explained kuen kuit to you-forget about it.

The bridge is moving with or from your structure to the other- could be a kiu, a kuen, an elbow, a contact.

Wing chun is not based on the kuen kuit- the kuen kuit tries to capture aspects of wing chun when properly understood. You have got the art and summaries backwards.

Grumblegeezer
12-03-2011, 12:07 PM
...real wing chun is based on kuit kuen!!!

Er... No, the kuen kuit are based on real Wing Chun.

I'm imagining a guy wearing a duct-tape suit, inside out. Perhaps not threatening, but certainly disconcerting. It would really rip the hair of your arms.

k gledhill
12-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Er... No, the kuen kuit are based on real Wing Chun.

I'm imagining a guy wearing a duct-tape suit, inside out. Perhaps not threatening, but certainly disconcerting. It would really rip the hair of your arms.

:D Now thats threatening !

Yoshiyahu
12-09-2011, 09:48 AM
You do relaize when you stick to someone changing posistion you are actually attacking at the same time...

Sticking to him gives pressure and jams his space so he can not counter easily...

On every video you posted i see people sticking...

The whole idea of sticking is not wing chun only my friend...I have seen street fighters use the same concept...its about being aggressive and staying toe to toe with your opponent.

sticking is all about not letting them breath do you practice this?

TenTigers
12-09-2011, 10:21 AM
"The whole idea of sticking is not wing chun only my friend...I have seen street fighters use the same concept...its about being aggressive and staying toe to toe with your opponent.

sticking is all about not letting them breath do you practice this?"

ah, well since you put it that way...

Vajramusti
12-09-2011, 10:56 AM
"The whole idea of sticking is not wing chun only my friend...I have seen street fighters use the same concept...its about being aggressive and staying toe to toe with your opponent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
yup- y is making things fuzzier!

WC1277
12-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Look it this way, put your wrists with elbows behind on the same plane coming out from the center. Now don't ever, except under certain circumstances, let your wrists go outside that center point regardless of position i.e. bong, tan, fok, etc. Your body moves them ONLY. Now learn how to move that way in whatever scenario you want, even sparring if so desired.

Only once you can understand what that means and what chasing is and isn't can you even remotely begin to understand what sticking and bridging is and is not....

JPinAZ
12-09-2011, 11:41 AM

IMO, this is talking more about fwd pressure on your opponent.

As for sticking/not sticking, with beginners, I make it simple: "If there's a bridge, you stick/chi. No bridge, you hit." (no bridge could aslo mean the bridge went away)

TenTigers
12-09-2011, 02:08 PM
IMO, this is talking more about fwd pressure on your opponent.

As for sticking/not sticking, with beginners, I make it simple: "If there's a bridge, you stick/chi. No bridge, you hit." (no bridge could aslo mean the bridge went away)

I say something similar..only kinda opposite...?
Go in to hit. If something gets in your way, deal with it,(sticking, trapping, running, etc) and continue hitting.
Nobody goes in to stick/trap. They go in to hit.
Now, hitting while sticking..ah that opens up a whole new can of worms!;)

JPinAZ
12-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Go in to hit. If something gets in your way, deal with it,(sticking, trapping, running, etc) and continue hitting.

I agree 100%. Basically, stick only if you 'have to', otherwise you're hiting, regardless which comes first. This is more along the lines of don't chase hands and don't stick just to stick. The beginning and end goal is always to hit (well, unless you're plan is to just subdue and control I guesS)

Yoshiyahu
12-09-2011, 10:57 PM
I like the ideaolgy of sticking and hitting simultaneously!

Phil Redmond
12-17-2011, 08:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsOhNH9Rg4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVgO5S8Zm_Q

Yoshiyahu
12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsOhNH9Rg4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVgO5S8Zm_Q

nice clips...expect hatas real soon!