PDA

View Full Version : Eyes and Wing Chun

Yoshiyahu
12-02-2011, 08:26 PM
What does your Sifu teach you concerning the eyes when you practice Wing Chun.

- The eyes and the mind travel together, paying attention to leading edge of attack.

- Eyes beaming with courage can neutralize the situation.

- Be alert with your eyes.

- Eyes are level, looking straight ahead, and watching all directions.

- Eyes are trained to be alert; the chi flows in a perpetual motion.

- The knees lead the stance. The waist links the body. Where the mind goes, the eyes go, and the hands and feet follow.

Eric_H
12-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Eye training usually goes in tandem with weapon knowledge, especially blade work. I've learned quite a lot of it in the Wudang lineage of Peter Kim Ho Chu.

Sifu Phil Redmond posted up some cool stuff about eye training awhile back - maybe he could repost it?

Lee Chiang Po
12-02-2011, 09:24 PM
In a plain and simple manner, here is how I learned it. Your eyes are your first line of defense, and they are your first line of attack. You look at everything you do. You can see everything that moves in a 180 degrees almost. so you can be aware of any movement that occures from either side, but you must look directly at what your hands are doing. Especially when defending. Your eyes are located on your face in a way to give you depth perception. You have to use both eyes in order to properly gauge your attacks and defenses.
By attacking your opponents eyes, even if you do not actually dig them out of his head, you illiminate his ability to defend against you. I have watched a lot of utube of guys doing Sil Lim, and I am not sure what they are thinking when they similate the eye sweeps. It is done differently I think. Or at least I do it differently.