12-05-2011, 10:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uJMP1fU7cI&feature=related

ck this out pretty interesting

wingchunIan
12-05-2011, 10:26 AM
nice find, interesting take on the jab

k gledhill
12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Non telegraphic actions aka no recoil or retraction also work the lat sao chit chung concepts. Good clip, WSL also thought more boxers would adopt the vt centered punch but for boxing glove size restrictions.

Grumblegeezer
12-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Good clip. I like the way he explains the logic behind it. It's not a matter of right vs. wrong. He's tested it, found that it works for him, and he tells you why. Wish most TCMA guys could be so direct.

Phil Redmond
12-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Non telegraphic actions aka no recoil or retraction also work the lat sao chit chung concepts. Good clip, WSL also thought more boxers would adopt the vt centered punch but for boxing glove size restrictions.

Vertical punches were used in boxing years before Si-Bak WSL was born. In fact vertical punches were the safest way to box with no gloves or with the thinly padded gloves used the 1800's
http://tkdtutor.com/TOPICS/Techniques/HandAttacks/Punching/Horizontal-Vertical/History/History-04.html
I have footage of old fights including some clips of Jack Johnson's fights. I also have the Jack Dempsey book on boxing.
According to some boxing historians the horizontal fist is due to the more padded gloves.
Do the research.

Fa Xing
12-05-2011, 07:57 PM
The vertical was taught by Bruce Lee as well, and not just for the obvious WC reasons, but also because he got real big in a lot of those old Boxing books.

The trainer in the vid demonstrates what some in JKD call the diagonal fist, I learned it from Tim Tackett who picked it up from Bob Bremer, one of Bruce's students from the LA Chinatown. It actually works very well when you want to intercept them or stop them in their tracks; very sturdy punch.

Lee Chiang Po
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Because this type of punch is so efficient, it is used in many different fighting systems. Wing Chun has the inner gate and outer gate punch, the first being fired from the heart, the other being fired from the shoulder or chamber.
Boxers mostly defend the head from the sides. Firing your punch like that brings it straight in and up the middle, which is usually not as well defended. Rapid combinations straight up the middle can be very effective and very difficult to defend.

Phil Redmond
12-05-2011, 10:30 PM
I meant the x'ing of the wrists as we do , centered, but yes I know my Grandfather pictured below in a classic shot , was using this method ;), Yorkshire, England is my family lineage.
That's a nice pic. I know you're proud....:)

deejaye72
12-06-2011, 08:51 PM
man that is a cool pic.. did he have any fights and what was his record? i love old school boxing

GlennR
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I meant the x'ing of the wrists as we do , centered, but yes I know my Grandfather pictured below in a classic shot , was using this method ;), Yorkshire, England is my family lineage.

Seriously cool pic Kev

anerlich
12-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Kev, I concur with Glenn.

Vajramusti
12-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Cotto who beat Margarito last Saturday is a converted south paw-
he sometimes throws a powerful left jab with a vertical fist. Even with gloves- horizontal or vertical fist is a boxer's choice depending on intent,(power, speed, trajectory, timing)

Tom Kagan
12-11-2011, 01:43 PM
In fact vertical punches were the safest way to box with no gloves or with the thinly padded gloves used the 1800's
http://tkdtutor.com/TOPICS/Techniques/HandAttacks/Punching/Horizontal-Vertical/History/History-04.html

Pure conjecture without supporting evidence. Additionally, the last two paragraphs in the link are riddled with factual errors, leading me to believe the author knows very little about the mechanics. This sloppiness would lead me to hold his "history" research as equally suspect.

According to some boxing historians the horizontal fist is due to the more padded gloves.
Do the research.

Yeah, those which believe that are wrong.