PDA

View Full Version : Over the Hill Thread

ginosifu
12-13-2011, 11:29 AM
For those of us that have spent our youth in MA and are now suffering with nagging injuries and other ailments. This is for MAists that are 40ish and above.

How do you train now? Can you or do you still fight? How do you keep your skills up with your injuries?

Have you gained weight with age? How do you keep in shape? Can you run or do cardio? Have you tried supplements for energy or weight loss? Has your diet changed? What do you eat?

How many injuries do you have and what types? Torn ACL's? Meniscous? MCL's? Ankle's or feet? Hips or back? Head, Neck or Spine? How do you deal with them?

Have you retired from competition? Are you just teaching now? What are your future plans as you age in MA.

ginosifu

sanjuro_ronin
12-13-2011, 11:43 AM
I can't fight anymore due to vertigo and some neurological issues that, ironicly, have nothing to do with MA.
Sparring is difficult at best.
So I compensate with drills.
Lots of kungs, bag work and dummy work ( wooden dummy, grappling dummy, throwing dummy and striking dummy).
Strength training.
I love my forms like sanchien, tit sid kuen and sam bo gin.
My weight flactuates between 165 and 175 depending o n how much cardio and what type of Strength training I am doing at the time.
Do lots of weapons too, especially blade and stick work.
I try to eat very little carbs at night.
As for injuries:
Besides the aformentioned issues:
Lower back, left shoulder, neck, left ankle and knees ( left more than right).

Featherstone
12-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Havent fought in several years due to coming down with thyroid cancer, so yes I have gained lots of weight! Used to hover around 210-20 and when my thyroid went bad, shot up to 293 after surgery and such. I still spar, forms and weapons. I have recently been diagnosed with arthritis in my right shoulder. Getting back in shape is all part of the fun!

ginosifu
12-13-2011, 12:30 PM
This January I will be 49. I have had my share of injuries including Ankle surgery, torn left ACL and Miniscous, right MCL, right and left Bunion removal. An auto accident in 1985 left 2 discs in my bulging and arthritus is really bad now.

In the last 5 years I have really been so busy with running a commercial school and 3 kids and a wife that my personal training routine has suffered. All I do is teach and run the school. So I have put on some extra marriage weight, I don't think I'm fat, but definately overweight and kinda puggy.

I still fight and roll around with all the students, but not quite as much hardcore fighting until tapout. I am lucky that I can still roll around, some guys my age can't do anything.

Training tip for all you younger guys out there. Don't get married if you want to stay thin and in good shape.

ginosifu

ShaolinDan
12-13-2011, 12:33 PM
This January I will be 49. I have had my share of injuries including Ankle surgery, torn left ACL and Miniscous, right MCL, right and left Bunion removal. An auto accident in 1985 left 2 discs in my bulging and arthritus is really bad now.

see? even you're chronic problems started way before 40. :)

ShaolinDan
12-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Training tip for all you younger guys out there. Don't get married if you want to stay thin and in good shape.

ginosifu

Definitely plan on taking that advice.

sanjuro_ronin
12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Marriage makes you civilized and content, horrible things to be for a fighter.

ginosifu
12-13-2011, 12:48 PM

You meant Fat and Lazy...... right?

ginosifu

sanjuro_ronin
12-13-2011, 12:50 PM
You meant Fat and Lazy...... right?

ginosifu

Tomatoe...tomahtoe:D

maxattck
12-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I turn 44 in 2012, injuries are a torn labrum In my right hip, docs say most likely will need to be replaced someday, a screwed up lower back, torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder.

I still roll BJJ at least three times a week, with guys half my age. I do alright, I get my fair share of subs, but I do not try to keep up to them. I work on slowing their game down with grips, guard game ect. I still spar in kyokushin at least three times a week, with some bag and pad work.

I try to just ignore the injuries, and take probally way to much advil and aleave. If my back really acting up I just take the time off. My hips been pain free from a cortizone shot for awhile now, only hurts if I do something stupid.

In all honesty I can't even remember being pain free, probally before I started training ma's. I friend at work asked me recently if ma training was health, I told him not if you train hard with contact, **** happends, stuff gets broke

Hebrew Hammer
12-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Tomatoe...tomahtoe:D

Cameltoe?

One could say it takes away your will to fight...or perhaps just your free will.

ginosifu
12-13-2011, 02:41 PM
One could say it takes away your will to fight...or perhaps just your free will.

It is more like SHE (your wife) takes away your will to fight and SHE takes away your free will.

She will have you giving up your Gym membership and replace it with watching CSI together, shopping at the Mall (usually in the underwear department) together, having dinner at the InLaws together etc etc.

I have seen many good MAists fade away because of chasing the Beaver!

ginosifu

Hebrew Hammer
12-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Would you like to talk about it Gino?

Oso
12-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Really messed up right shoulder repaired at 39. 'mangled' was the word the doc used. 3 rotator tears, 2 labrum tears, 'shattered' collarbone end. Didn't follow the rehab protocal but only 3 months due to events happening in my martial world at the time and am, of course, suffering from those choices.

Torn labrum in the right hip with the same prognosis as the above fellow.

Turned 44 this year. Retired myself completely at 43. Couldn't block effectively w/o pain in the shoulders and couldn't kick with the right leg except for a front kick w/o fire like pain in the right hip. Could still roll ok because i would just tap when needed. But, couldn't practice any sort of shoulder locks because it wasn't fair to my partners that I couldn't go far enough into the lock for them to effectively practice it.

Definitely gained weight. Lost some during my CF episode. Put it back on last winter. Didn't get it all back off this summer, fighting my usual wintertime issues of not wanting to train when it's cold. (hence a pending move to warmer year round climate).

Strength training helped with all injuries. Most specifically i felt like static overhead pressing, like in an OHS and a turkish-get-up, did a lot to strengthen my shoulders. I need to stretch more, especially rolling the ITB on the right leg, to help with the hip issue.

But, no more of the 'game'. I feel that martial training at a level to keep skills 'alive' is only detrimental to my body.

I mean, the saying around here has always been "you fight like you train", right? Reducing the intensity of your practice is only going to reduce the intensity of the attack you can handle. Time to be wise and humble, fellas. oh, and carry something for a worst-case situation you can't walk away from.

In my case, training against resistance just did more damage.

So, for now, done. After my move and at least a year of getting my weight back down to where I want it, I'd like to find a jujitsu and/or judo program that will allow me to roll/randori w/o actually taking a class. that might be hard to do as they'll probably think i'm an ass or something. but, i plan to state my case and my reasons and hope someone will let me do that.

wenshu
12-13-2011, 03:20 PM
All the SLAP tears. . .

YouKnowWho
12-13-2011, 03:53 PM
This is for MAists that are 40ish and above.
It's so funny that you guys think that you are old enough. I would love to be in your situation if possible.

I have just received my medicare card this year. I train 3 to 4 hours daily and 5 days a week. I have tried to train 6 days a week but soon find out I need 2 days rest. I have divided my training in 3 parts:

- running, sit up, push up, stretching.
- weight training.
- combat skill training.

I still love to spar/wrestle 15 rounds if I can find partner.

Fa Xing
12-13-2011, 04:32 PM

Oops, too late.

Good thing I'm a CSCS, I can get away with staying in shape because it's my job ;).

mooyingmantis
12-13-2011, 05:32 PM
This past summer was my 43rd year practicing MA. Two screwed up discs (L4 & L5) with arthritis in my spine. Bad left knee and ankle from constant injuries. Two concussions (auto accident and thrown on my head in class).

I train everyday and teach two classes per week. Forms, Bag work, pads, sparring and weapons sparring in class. Forms and treadmill/walking in park for cardio between classes.

Had to give up rock-climbing and rappelling in my late 40s. :( Still camp and kayak in the Summer.

Old and broken, but still going at 53. No sign of stopping in sight! :D

ginosifu
12-13-2011, 07:51 PM
It is more like SHE (your wife) takes away your will to fight and SHE takes away your free will.

She will have you giving up your Gym membership and replace it with watching CSI together, shopping at the Mall (usually in the underwear department) together, having dinner at the InLaws together etc etc.

I have seen many good MAists fade away because of chasing the Beaver!

ginosifu

Would you like to talk about it Gino?

I have been teaching kung fu since about 1994 and over the years I have lost many good fighters to "Snatch" or "The Beaver". When the possy is good, guys just eventually fade with lame excuses and then disappear altogether.

I was lucky, my wife married me knowing that I teach kung fu and that is how I was going to make money for her.

For those that are on a specific goal to fight / WIN FIGHTS etc etc., Women should be out of the picture or someone you have been married to for a coupke of years. Once you are married, it does not matter so much. If you have been married for a while, then your wife will be glad to get you out of the house and out of her hair for a while.

ginosifu

ginosifu
12-13-2011, 07:58 PM
It seems that many of us have something injured. Is this common? Do all athletes end up with Knee / Spine / Shoulder injuries etc etc? I know my teachers in similar situations as me.

John Ervin - Torn Rotator Cuff and bad hip

Richard Tolson - Bad Back and Knee

How about your teacher's? Do they have the same injuies as us. What about the generation before us? Have you heard anything about them, Are they getting hip and knee replacements now?

ginosifu

ShaolinDan
12-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I lost my first kung fu teacher to marriage/graduate school. Fortunately his shifu took over, in order to prevent his having 'kung fu orphans.' So, it worked out for the best for me, but that was very lucky. Still hoping my first shifu will return to the family one day, he might not have been a kung fu master, but he was a very good teacher.

ShaolinDan
12-13-2011, 08:06 PM
It seems that many of us have something injured. Is this common? Do all athletes end up with Knee / Spine / Shoulder injuries etc etc? I know my teachers in similar situations as me.

John Ervin - Torn Rotator Cuff and bad hip

Richard Tolson - Bad Back and Knee

How about your teacher's? Do they have the same injuies as us. What about the generation before us? Have you heard anything about them, Are they getting hip and knee replacements now?

ginosifu

My teacher still moves very well (I should say exceedingly well), but in the past he has had a serious back injury as well as numerous other less serious injuries. (He's 42...shhh, that's a secret.) His teacher is probably in his mid sixties now...I don't know what injuries he's had, but I'm sure they are many...he moves very well also, though certainly his age is showing...

I don't think these kinds of injuries are limited to martial artists or athletes...basically everyone I know in middle age has some kind of nagging health issues--I'm afraid it's just the nature of being an organism. The main thing is not to stop training when injured, modify, but keep training.

RickMatz
12-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Cameltoe?

The will to live.

Lee Chiang Po
12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
I am closer to 70 than I am to 60, and age does take away a lot of your prowess. I do not train, and have not trained in many years. To me training is simply sharpening your martial skills, and I think mine is about as good as they will ever be. I do actually work out and do a lot of walking to keep fit at my age. I am in fair shape as I stand, and am still trying to reduce my overall weight. I have a total gym and a total workout, and I do a great deal of walking.
I have no self injuries from training. Never been injured during a training session. It was planned that way. I have suffered crushed and broken hands in fights, shot more than once, stabbed more than once, struck with blunt objects on several occasions, and generally beaten up pretty good in fights. I am retired now, and do nothing that could lead to an altercation. The secret to longivity is to look both ways before crossing the road and never buy more life insurance that it will take to bury you.

-N-
12-13-2011, 08:56 PM

The will to live.

Why do husbands usually die earlier than their wives?

Because they want to.

:D

David Jamieson
12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm 47 and the last conflict I was in was 2 weeks ago.
I verbally de-escalated the situation and everyone went home.

I practice something every day, no matter what.
I don't compete.
I don't live a risky lifestyle.
I'm ok with hard training and even sparring when it's doable.

Maybe I have a few more years to go before i make the switch to exclusively teaching/qigong and healthful focus, but I still like to play a little and I don't mind stepping up when someone is being an asshat to someone else.

I guess that oat never got let go...

TenTigers
12-14-2011, 10:27 AM
54, and more injuries than I have the time to list.
When I do shuai-Jiao, even though we're easy on each other, it would take three days and alot of naproxen before I was normal again.
My sparring is limited, in SPM, we go at it, but we have a lot of control, so the dings are less common. I hate to admit it, but I'm getting the itch to enter in some point fighting again, just for s&g's. I wanna have some fun.
I am also doing more rolling, which although I can't spin out as fast as I could in my younger days, and I don't throw myself into stuff like flying armbars, it's still fun.
My flexibility has improved recently, as I started an "Tao Yoga" class in my school. It also made my back and sciatica issues stop.
I did notice something disturbing; I need to work harder to maintain my muscle mass and keep my bodyfat down. That blows. When I take time off, I lose strength and get soft (duh..yeah, but it seems to affect me more) So I need to stick to my schedule and make resistance and cardio part of my normal routine, for life.

David Jamieson
12-14-2011, 10:44 AM
yep..age brings all sorts of crappy gifts for the body.

-longer recovery time from training
-longer healing time from injury
-Body fat increase due to slowing metabolism

That last one can be handled by reducing caloric intake but keeping it in thirds or with a little more protein for muscle repair. That's how I keep my body fat down as opposed to longer sessions on the bag or tready.

I just got into better eating habits as far as caloric intake went without changing teh content of diet too much.

big changes on the body shock the crap out of it too, so I wouldn't advise anyone to quickly turn over a new leaf in this area. slow and steady wins here.

Sihing73
12-14-2011, 11:26 AM

Hmmm I must of married the wrong woman...........mine made be cranky and aggressive right up until the divorce.........now I am feeling more content and peaceful ;)

Although, having my kids live with me as a single parent is bringing me back to being cranky again................maybe it's the circle of life :D

taai gihk yahn
12-14-2011, 06:40 PM
42, soon to be 43; started training MA at 15, straight through until I was 27, incl TKD, JJJ, FMA and TCMA (CLF, Lama, bagua); after a crisis of identity / revelation at 27, forsook the martial stuff to focus on the health bit (taiji / qigong); got married at 31; went from less active to inactive, including a move from NYC to LI, which meant no more walking and lots of driving; had a kid at 36, and went to largely sedentary except for work (as a pediatric PT working in schools) and bouncing Jr. on my arm, being the PCG, as my wife was finishing her residency; 30+ lbs later, I finally started up again at 39 doing BJJ and running 2-3x / wk; lost 25 lbs.; I then started getting some Rt. piriformis syndrome stuff that devolved into a full-blown L5/S1 HNP, incl. textbook "disc" signs (the laughter emanating from my car as I read the MRI in the parking lot was erie, so I am told); one hemi-laminotomy / microdiscectomy later, and awash in a wave or irony (being a PT and all), I basically had to start from scratch; 18 mos. later, I was still getting a lot of symptoms in the AM, mostly in Lt. SIJ and hip (altho not discal, that was gone for good after surgery day 1, and then took about 4-6 mos. for things to totaly settle down in general); finally this summer I started working w a semi-decent PT, which lasted about 6 wks. until she hit the wall and couldn't get any where; then had my wife treat me and started doing one of her yoga routines for a while; added in sum of my own stuff as well, and that helped; now I'm more back on track - been doing Pilates for ~2 mos., started 1x / wk., now up to 3x; still get the AM stiffness in the Lt. SIJ, but am able to manage it effectively w a variety of stretches / releases, depending on the day; still hav a lot of residual inhibition of Rt. core stabilizers (multifidi) that is starting to resolve; will be planning on Cross Fit come the summer; hope to get back to BJJ mayb nxt fall; just have to go real slow -it's been a mixed bag getting to where I am now, lol...

oh, also opening up my own practice (finally) April 1st (yes, I know...) - getting out of the school based gig (which was killing my brain and soul) and back to my manual therapy roots - so I have a moral imperative to get myself back up to shape in order to be able to model for pt's what I am talking about;

in a strange kind of way, I am glad I had the surgery - I have an infinitely better understanding of what it's like to be a pt. now, and ultimately, this will make me better able to get where pt's I treat are at; lemonade...

Lee Chiang Po
12-14-2011, 07:32 PM
A woman looks for a man that excites them. She sees things in him that draw her to him. Then, once married, they fear that other women will see that in you and begin trying to change you into something that is more manageble for them, and less attractive to the other women. If they succeed in doing this, suddenly you are no longer the same man that caught their attention and stirred their hearts, and they quickly lose interest in you. Then begins the hunt for another man with these things that first drew them to you. You can't treat them kindly, can't treat them fairly, and you can't treat them as equals. And you certainly cannot lay your trust in them. I know some will not agree with me, but come back in 10 years and we can see if you still disagree with me.
I always had a day job. In my case it was always a night job. I did other work on the side, and it usually required me to be free during the day. My biggest problem was keeping my wife out of my side job business. I never told her what I was doing, and it drove her insane. No matter what you do, or get involved in, the wife is the very last person in the world that you want knowing anything about it.

Lokhopkuen
12-14-2011, 07:36 PM
For those of us that have spent our youth in MA and are now suffering with nagging injuries and other ailments. This is for MAists that are 40ish and above.

How do you train now? Can you or do you still fight? How do you keep your skills up with your injuries?

Have you gained weight with age? How do you keep in shape? Can you run or do cardio? Have you tried supplements for energy or weight loss? Has your diet changed? What do you eat?

How many injuries do you have and what types? Torn ACL's? Meniscous? MCL's? Ankle's or feet? Hips or back? Head, Neck or Spine? How do you deal with them?

Have you retired from competition? Are you just teaching now? What are your future plans as you age in MA.

ginosifu

53;
I train everyday and teach a few days per week and I find after each work out I am totally spent and terribly satisfied. I have a few old njuries that I harmonize with.
I find I have to concentrate on my breath in order to sustain myself in sparring or forms but as long as I am mindful of the breath I have plenty of energy.

It's very inspiring to read the stories of the advanced practitioners here, thank you all.

Lokhopkuen
12-14-2011, 07:41 PM
A woman looks for a man that excites them. She sees things in him that draw her to him. Then, once married, they fear that other women will see that in you and begin trying to change you into something that is more manageble for them, and less attractive to the other women. If they succeed in doing this, suddenly you are no longer the same man that caught their attention and stirred their hearts, and they quickly lose interest in you. Then begins the hunt for another man with these things that first drew them to you. You can't treat them kindly, can't treat them fairly, and you can't treat them as equals. And you certainly cannot lay your trust in them. I know some will not agree with me, but come back in 10 years and we can see if you still disagree with me.
I always had a day job. In my case it was always a night job. I did other work on the side, and it usually required me to be free during the day. My biggest problem was keeping my wife out of my side job business. I never told her what I was doing, and it drove her insane. No matter what you do, or get involved in, the wife is the very last person in the world that you want knowing anything about it.

You sir are a man of wisdom and experience;)

Vajramusti
12-15-2011, 08:22 AM
I am learning much from you old folks !!!

joy chaudhuri

ginosifu
12-15-2011, 11:56 AM
It seems that most of the true fighters among us older MA all have some type of Injury. Is there no way around this? Have we not trained properly to prevent these injuries? Can we learn something from this? Is there a way to teach our students or future generations of MA to prevent or at least minimize these injuries we encountered?

I am permanently on Glucosomine / Condroiton / Advil etc etc to minimize joint pain. What are you guys doing to minimize pain? Any herbal remedy that I do not know of?

ginosifu

sanjuro_ronin
12-15-2011, 12:07 PM
It seems that most of the true fighters among us older MA all have some type of Injury. Is there no way around this? Have we not trained properly to prevent these injuries? Can we learn something from this? Is there a way to teach our students or future generations of MA to prevent or at least minimize these injuries we encountered?

I am permanently on Glucosomine / Condroiton / Advil etc etc to minimize joint pain. What are you guys doing to minimize pain? Any herbal remedy that I do not know of?

ginosifu

Part and parcel of the package for anyone that tests their MA and views the figthing aspect of their MA as crucial.

YouKnowWho
12-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Old Chinese saying said, "It's easy to develop your Kong. It's much harder to maintain it." When you are 80 years old, if you can still do whatever that you could do when you were 20, you are a successful TCMA guy.

Before you are 50 years old, you are in "development" stage. After your 50 years old birthday, you should be in your "maintenance" stage.

LaterthanNever
12-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Don't take this the wrong way..but..

I think it is rather myopic to say that just because someone is over 40 that they are "over the hill".

I'll be 47 this November. (Graduated high school in 1982)

I also train with Jesse Glover who just turned 78..and though he may not walk with the stride in his step that he had 30 years ago..he's without a doubt still strong as an ox and probably the fastest 78 year old man(with his hand speed) on earth!!

Should the "I'm over 40 so I am finished" line of thinking permeate our thoughts more than it needs to? :rolleyes:

jdhowland
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm 57 now and happy to report that I have no current pain or injuries. Mobility is as good as ever. I've had a few training injuries over the years. The worst was when someone muscled out of my leg lock and something in my knee snapped. I limped around for a year but seem to have all the strength back. The worst damage received from real fights was bumps, bruises and some lacerations to my right hand. I was lucky.

My highest level of fitness was when I was 30 and training seven days a week. I'm a little stronger now, and maybe a little tougher, but I think I'm losing on reaction time. My added mass helps me knock the heavy bag around better than I used to but it is much harder work than it used to be.

When I was poor and struggling I lived on cheap carbs and stayed lean. Now I eat less and try to avoid the carbs. I've never done dietary supplements and probably never will.

My training and teaching strategies have changed over the years, reflecting my own concerns. The white crane style I originally learned requires a degree of hypermobility in the shoulders. As the token round-eye in the class I felt I had to do the basics better than anyone else in order to prove myself and I developed the skill, and years later the tendonitis that goes with it. I emphasize flexibility less and strength more. Before, it was all about making the technique look right. Now it's all about proper structure: test the structure to see if it takes the force.

My goal is not to be a superior athlete but to stay fit enough to keep up with the twenty-somethings. It's getting harder for a good reason. My generation of late baby boomers was, overall, pretty weak. Students are learning weight training in high school now and are more body-conscious. I sometimes see "untrained" teenagers with more natural ability than some of the tougher and experienced kung fu students of forty years ago.

ginosifu
12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Don't take this the wrong way..but..

I think it is rather myopic to say that just because someone is over 40 that they are "over the hill".

I'll be 47 this November. (Graduated high school in 1982)

I also train with Jesse Glover who just turned 78..and though he may not walk with the stride in his step that he had 30 years ago..he's without a doubt still strong as an ox and probably the fastest 78 year old man(with his hand speed) on earth!!

Should the "I'm over 40 so I am finished" line of thinking permeate our thoughts more than it needs to? :rolleyes:

I do not take it the wrong way LaterthenNever: Although 40ish is not that old, as we reach 50ish most of us who fought a lot in our youths are now having some type of injury. This has not taken me out of the picture, I still fight / Shuai Chiao / Spar etc etc. As a person ages in the MA's, we need to change our focus a bit. We can not ignore aging, and as you aquire injuries, you need to adjust your training accordingly. Some of us have completely stopped fighting because of nagging injuries, some of us have not. Some people have completely left the MA's, most have not.

ginosifu

mooyingmantis
12-15-2011, 05:31 PM

ginosifu

One naproxen every morning on work days. Ice when needed at night.

ginosifu
12-15-2011, 07:33 PM
One naproxen every morning on work days. Ice when needed at night.

What do you guys think of meds like:

Glucosomine or Condroiton / MSM

or do you prefer:

Ibuprofin - Advil

Naproxen - Alieve

Acetemiophen - Tylenol

or do you prefer:

Ice or heating pads?

Any other meds? Herbal remedys?

ginosifu

Robinhood
12-15-2011, 08:01 PM
If you train internal you will continue to improve.

If you stay at body level application you will continue to go down hill.

It is a shame that most internal arts are not internal any more.

Subitai
12-15-2011, 09:22 PM
I had always learned from my Sifu and Believed (call me brain washed) that if a person had been training honestly and continuously since they where "younger" ... Then they didn't hit their prime in Kung Fu untill they're 50.

It's the skill during this period that is the determining factor.

Diet and strengthwise if a person has kept up, they shouldn't really have muscle atrophy.

Loss of speed is not as important IMO...I've always mantained that Speed is a perception of distance. It's a mature thing to understand distance and connection. So much the better...I won't ever chase a younger guy around the ring.

I'm 42 and I try to be inspired by my favorite Si Gung, Chiu Wai. At 70 (just like his father) he was in better shape than most 30 yr olds and still fiesty.

I'm 30lbs heavier than in my 20's ...Not quite as strong but still very fast.

But my skill is Far, far above what I did back then....Smarter and more efficient is better. My training is traditional but I gear all my fighting towards a modern fighting module.

Most of my hardest fighting was in my 20-30's. I still bang around ocassionally, but mostly when I meet someone new. That is my Litmus test, ie how well can I dial in on a strange fighter I never met before. IMO if you fight with a guy you know well, then you already know his tendencies.

I have no injuries and keep myself ready for when occassions call for it because i'm not some Famous old Chinese dude that nobody will challenge. (makes you feel like Rodney Dangerfield) That means when I do a seminar, I ocassionally I have to prove myself vs the biggest mother in there 1st.

My Sifu always said to me,
"You're always thinking about fighting 1st, you need to calm down....You should change your attitude by the time your 50"
- so be it then, when I'm 50.

ShaolinDan
12-15-2011, 09:44 PM
I used glucosamine/chrondroitin supplements for a while, it seemed to help, but I also heard/read some stuff that suggested it might create dependency. Gradually weened myself off, and have been fine without it since then.
I never take advil, tylenol, or aspirin...arnica and dit da and alcohol and moxa are all I ever use....but I'm 'young.'

-N-
12-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Started when I was 10. Now 51, but not over the hill.

I'm faster and have more power than I ever did. Also have more muscle and ability to relax than before.

Definately takes a lot longer to recover than before. And it's easier to overdo things without realizing it and get injured or reinjured.

Current injuries are left knee, which over the course of a year, turned into tight hamstring on the right side, right side plantar fasciitis, and some kind of piriformis/sciatica also on the right side. Even with those, I can still throw hard head kicks on my right side. Not that I rely on those though.

Up until this year, I was working out 7 days a week. 3 days running, 2 days weights, 2 days kf. Until this year, I never stopped for injuries or illness, only llghtened up a little if necessary.

This year, for the first time ever, I actually found I had to stop all physical activity for 2 weeks at a time so that I wouldn't keep getting reinjured. The problem was that it would feel ok, but as soon as I did any aggressive footwork, my knee would be messed up again.

It would be 3 weeks recovery while working out, then reinjury and another 3 week setback. After going through that cycle for several months, I finally ended up just sitting on my ass and watching movies for 2 weeks so that I could heal.

Problem was that I'd still not figured out how slowly I had to start back up again. I thought my knee was ok so I did "light" sparring footwork while correcting students. Boom, instant 3 week setback. Ok, recover... then just "light" kicking. No power. Boom, 3 week setback again. Ok, recover. No footwork. No kicking for a month. Good, ok now. Start kicking the bag for form, no power, just targeting. That was good for a week. Ok, light tapping on the bag. Yep, another 3 week setback. Finally, a couple months ago, I decided nothing at all with the left leg for the rest of the year. That's been a big help. But, yep, I'm doing left side power footwork again. I can feel I'm on the edge of reinjury, but I think I can stay on the right side of the threshold. Probably a mistake, but I can't help it.

I jokingly blame the students for my bad knee. I had 3 sets of students rejoin classes at the same time. I was working with one group on a particular kick which we did for about 2 hours straight, trying to get them to do it correctly. Of course I had to show them over and over and over because they were doing it wrong. Then did the same with the other 2 groups. And then finished off with low roundhouse kicks to the leg. I wanted to see a power kick strong enough to take a guy off his feet. Kick, not sweep. Let the 200lb student kick a shield against my leg, but he did it wrong. Put the shield on his leg, kicked it and set him on his butt. Then made him kick me a bunch of times.

Didn't have any noticeable problems from that workout, but when I woke up the next day, I literally could not walk. Yep, it sounds really stupid, but until a year ago, that kind of workout hadn't been a problem. And I didn't realize until afterwards that I had to scale back.

Current reduced workout is 2 days stationary bike, 1 day weights, 2 days kf, 2 days sit on my ass. That's been helpful for recovery.

Lucas
12-16-2011, 09:12 AM
To quote a great fighter; 'I have some pain that I'm going to have to live with for the rest of my life

I take a couple Advil now and then. I never used to until about the last year or so.

Egg fu young
12-16-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm 41 and tired. I just want to lay down and rest. I have 2 hernias (weight training make strong!), and have broken many bones in my feet and hands (just got my pinky splint off after a grappling break) I'm still the same weight as I was in HS 175lbs @ 6'2" but my work out is an elliptical and Total Gym now because of so many aches and pains I've done Judo (brown belt) and Boxed most of my life and now I take Cuong Nhu (I just got my Green Belt). So I'm hoping to continue like I am until I croak.

-N-
12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Several years back when I was running more(10 mile long run and two 6's), I'd take Advil's in the mornings.

KF workouts back then was 5 hours on Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday. Now it's down to 3 hours Saturday and 2+ on Sunday. I take 800mg of Advil before and after kf workouts.

I'm sure there's all kinds of reasons for me not to do that. But it helps me to keep working out regularly. I find that if I don't keep the activity levels up, everything hurts even more, and I'm more prone to injuries.

It's like when you stop moving, you're dead. And pain just reminds you that you're alive.

My teacher's generation was the one that would go for dim sum after class. Probably didn't help his diabetes or other stuff. We're more health conscious nowadays.

A few weeks ago after class, the students left and the rest of us kept working out. One of them came back and we thought, "Oh good! More workout?" But she had come back to invite us to eat dim sum. We just looked at her and said, "No extra workout? Are you sure?" After about 10 minutes, we remembered what she asked, and said no thanks on lunch.

R
12-18-2011, 05:24 AM
54 next month...

Various injuries over the years although most were not KF related... had people hit my car , including rolling it at 60 mph, 5 times since I moved to the UK.

Can't do all the things I used to as easily. Started playing rugby again at 50 and amazingly have less and less pain each season (play flanker - 156 pounds). If I do judo and play rugby my fingers get destroyed from all the twisting of the joints when I grab gi's/jersey's... had a shoulder tear from an ippon seionage that took 8 months to heal..

TCMA have never really been a problem other than the bruises/cuts/ache that come with them. Problems occur when I can't close my hands from getting them stamped on during rugby matches on sat and have to teach KF on a sunday :' S...

I am the same weight I was when I wrestled in high school and really my body shape is not that different than it was then.. might have to do with working as a manual therapist for the last 25 years.

I rarely take anything for healing/pain.. used to but found by trial and error/experience that I really didn't seem to do much differently with or without the herbal/medical stuff.

I am happy to spar/roll and I don't get too excited as I don't expect to win/dominate.. I go to a MMA gym when I have time and 3 of the lads have recently won national amateur belts :' P

Funnily enough I really enjoy the all out aggression of the rugby pitch and think knocking/throwing down 20-30 year olds regularly keeps me feeling 'young' ;' )

FWIW

R

yu shan
12-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Entering my 37th year of CMA. The typical injuries over the years. Most serious was hurt back lifting weights. And one year ago today I blew out my ACL, had reconstructive surgery on New Years Eve. What a way to bring in 2011!!! But 12 months later I`m feeling pretty darn good. But this injury has gotten into my head if you know what I mean. For the past 3 years I have what they call "50 year old man shoulder". Really feel it when I go hard on the drills and boxing. On the positive side, I really feel as if I have gotten smarter with my training and coaching.

Taryn P.
12-31-2011, 07:46 AM

Will be 40 in April.

[QUOTE]

Training has not changed, although the variety of it keeps increasing. I usually continue to train with injuries, although sometimes there are certain things I can't do according to the specific injury. One of the benefits of training a lot of different things is that there are always things I can still do.

[QUOTE=ginosifu]
[QUOTE]

I have not gained weight, in fact have lost a bit. When I'm doing BJJ competitions and paying a lot of attention to my weight, I eat a great deal of chicken and eggs. Otherwise I usually eat what I want- which is not the greatest fare- but portion control keeps the weight in check.

[QUOTE=ginosifu]
How many injuries do you have and what types? Torn ACL's? Meniscous? MCL's? souAnkle's or feet? Hips or back? Head, Neck or Spine? How do you deal with them?
[QUOTE]

My bad knees are the worst, although this is a congenital kneecap misalignment and not an injury or old-age problem. They can be pretty bad, though, and I worry that if I get arthritis on top of it, I could be in a real pickle.

I've had a few broken toes and fingers, including one broken finger that didn't heal up correctly and the knuckle is all gnarled and painful. A rather serious ankle sprain, more sprains of toes and fingers, a few "rib out" injuries (I hate those). The worst "rib out" injury has lingered with some rib and shoulder pain. Cauliflower ear. Some back pain that may be misaligned vertebrae. Really been fairly fortunate so far. The frequent toe and finger injuries are very frustrating, since they really hamper function and take a long time to fully heal... but if that's the worst of it, I think I'm doing pretty well. Most of me seems unbreakable.

I mostly deal with injuries by ignoring them. I keep training, modifying around the injury if I absolutely have to, and most of them go away sooner or later.

[QUOTE=ginosifu]

The only competition that was ever relevant in my training was BJJ. I have done a few (all my opponents were young enough to be my daughters), and figured out that the main reason I was doing them was to try to please my instructor... so I skipped the most recent one, and am undecided if I'll do any more. Not because of age, though.

I intend to keep training until I'm dead, although if the body starts to break down, there will eventually be some things I'll have to moderate. The BJJ seems to be kinder to my body (esp knees) than the Kung Fu and Tai Chi, so if I have increasing physical issues, I will probably be doing more BJJ than the other stuff. (If only I can protect the **** ribs from getting squooshed, which I hope to get better at with more experience.)

Mixed feelings about teaching. I've done a bit, don't rule out doing more in the future, but it's not a driving goal.

I gotta say, after reading this thread, that I hope the NOT over-the-hill MA'ists are a little less misogynistic. It is sad.

TaichiMantis
12-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Taryn! We need more female power here! I turn 52 next month. Have dropped mantis indefinetly...focusing on tai chi and it's martial applications. My knees are pretty shot due to 35+ yrs of soccer. Oh well *sigh* ;)

Vajramusti
12-31-2011, 08:37 PM
I feel badly for all you young folks talking about your aches and pains.

joy chaudhuri

Yao Sing
12-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Had to take time off while I correct some serious back problems. Ended up hospitalized 2 years ago and couldn't walk for awhile, it took about 8 months to walk without a cane. Have a bit of nerve damage mostly down right leg.

At 57 I can do some of what I could before the back took me out but then I need a lot of recovery time. :D

The worst is I get out of breath really quick but my heart has been checked out and still in good condition. Getting ready for a major comeback for the second 50 year stretch of my life. I figure the last 50 year stretch will probably be laid back and low key ending my life at the 150 yo mark.

And yes, I'm serious.
;)