PDA

View Full Version : 1st Wing Chun Class

Hebrew Hammer
12-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I had my first WC class last night and I can't wait to argue endlessly about lineages and who's WC really looks like WC! I have mixed feelings about the experience, I know new styles often take some time getting used to. It was a 2hr class which I liked, I appreciated the aggressiveness, close in fighting style of WC. The center line concepts I found to be interesting and could see its effectiveness. To me it was yin to Aikido's yang...instead of blending with the opponents energy, you used the center line to divert your opponents attacks while driving at their center. Kind of like a ship plowing through the water. Got to do some Chi Sao (basic stuff) and enjoyed the hands on application stuff. That was my impression at any rate.

Things I wasn't so comfortable with: the punching style no shoulder rotation, holding the vertical fist, the way you hold arms down the center line, all very counter intuitive for me. Very diff than boxing or CLF. In fact, I don't know if this is common or not in the beginning but my Carpal tendons are quite sore from all the oblique wrist techniques. Not much time at all spent on flexibility or cardio...but that I can work on my own.

The school was located at an acupuncture place that also offered some meditation classes...which could be interesting. Gonna check out some Tai Chi this week and make my decision on where to go next.

Phil Redmond
12-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Well I hope WC suits you. Also, I just sent you a PM. Your screen name reminded me of the movie..