PDA

View Full Version : six directional forces

Hendrik
12-14-2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP3h8mEdFTg

Enjoy!

wingchunIan
12-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks Hendrick. Have to say when I read some of your posts on this I thought it was a load of tosh. Hearing it in words with something visual to relate to has cleared it up from mystical mumbo jumbo to a simple physical concept. We don't have the same approach in my lineage but we do make sure that we're aware of force in all directions at all times and select shapes and structures, apply energy in directions that are appropriate to the forces in question. thanks for sharing.

YouKnowWho
12-14-2011, 04:49 PM
In your 6 directional force analogy, you ignore the "Lu Jin (pulling)" and I don't know the reason behind it. Your backward force is "someone pushes you" and not "you pull someone".

I believe you are talking about "Peng Jin (extend force)" here. By using your term, all force should be 6 directional. There is no 2 directional force or 4 directional force. When you throw a boxing jab, it may look like 2 directional force, the moment that your opponent intends to block or deflect your punch, the moment that your "Peng Jin" appear. Your "Peng Jin" is in your body structure and not in your arm.

A friend of mine once gave a demo on the stage. He asked anybody from the audience seat to come up and applied any joint locking on him. By using his body structure "Peng Jin", none of the audience could even bend his arm in any directions.

Aikido guys love to demo their "unbendable arm". It's just a simple "Peng Jin" and there is nothing fancy about it.

Hendrik
12-14-2011, 05:29 PM
In your 6 directional force analogy, you ignore the "Lu Jin (pulling)" and I don't know the reason behind it. Your backward force is "someone pushes you" and not "you pull someone".

I believe you are talking about "Peng Jin (extend force)" here. By using your term, all force should be 6 directional. There is no 2 directional force or 4 directional force. When you throw a boxing jab, it may look like 2 directional force, the moment that your opponent intends to block or deflect your punch, the moment that your "Peng Jin" appear. Your "Peng Jin" is in your body structure and not in your arm.

A friend of mine once gave a demo on the stage. He asked anybody from the audience seat to come up and applied any joint locking on him. By using his body structure "Peng Jin", none of the audience could even bend his arm in any directions.

Aikido guys love to demo their "unbendable arm". It's just a simple "Peng Jin" and there is nothing fancy about it.

1.thanks for you pointing out.
Forward backward term are just used here to simplify understanding, pulling is a part of the forward direction pair. Same with the other force pair, the forces can be in inward toward each other or outward away from each others. I don't want to make it complicated to lost the audience.

2. You are right, Ideally, good martial art player force should be six direction be it in balancing or issuing.

But, take an example as in the ip man movie, that chain punch is mainly four directional. I say mainly because the rest of the direction is weak while in action. And you will surprise to find lots of striker people are mainly operate with mainly four directional forces. Sc people are better.

3. Six directional force is not peng jing. Peng jing is a combination of how force is used within the six directional force platform.

4.Demonstration is mainly static. Thus, not useful in real life. A wing chuner who can demonstrate a four directional yjkym forward pressure static is not ready and cannot handle a dynamic take down.