PDA

View Full Version : The best way to test your power and structure

YouKnowWho
12-15-2011, 08:34 AM
Let a heavy bag to swing to the other side as high as it can. When that heavy bag swing at you, you use your punch or kick to stop that bag. If you can still stand with solid body structure without being pushing back by that heavy bag, you have good power and good structure, otherwise you don't.

The heavy bag will be just like a 200 lb guy runs full speed toward you and tries to knock your head off. If you can stop that guy's charging, your training is on the right track. Since this test cannot be done "solo", Fajin into the thin air make little sense IMO.

Unless you can throw a 90 lb throwing dummy over your head, to say that you can throw a 200 lb guy over your head will need some test. The reason is simple, no matter how much power that you can generate into the thin air, your "body structure" may not be strong enough to take the counter force when it comes back to you.

What's your opinion on this "realistic test"?

SPJ
12-15-2011, 08:41 AM
nowadays

there are sensors and computers

they may detect your speed and correct positions.

power may be, too.

---

Lucas
12-15-2011, 09:22 AM
I think that's a great test. Beginners beware.

sanjuro_ronin
12-15-2011, 09:26 AM
A very good test that doesn't require a partner or sparring.
Sparring will always be the litmust test for practical applications of anything but the HB is crucial in the development and expression of power in any of its forms.

Lucas
12-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Used to do this with flying sidekicks...back when I still had my wings

sanjuro_ronin
12-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Used to do this with flying sidekicks...back when I still had my wings

It was a staple in ITF TKD for testing kicks.

Lucas
12-15-2011, 11:24 AM
people can say what they want about tkd, those guys have some of the best kicks ive ever seen. down right impressive stuff. i think a big part of that is the testing requirements.

Fa Xing
12-15-2011, 11:31 AM
people can say what they want about tkd, those guys have some of the best kicks ive ever seen. down right impressive stuff. i think a big part of that is the testing requirements.

I have to agree about the kicks, although they can get a little telegraphic, but are otherwise very solid kicks.

sanjuro_ronin
12-15-2011, 12:11 PM

You want kicks? TKD is the answer.
Sure for the round kick MT is in a league all their own, but for over all kicking arsenal you will be hard pressed to find better than TKD.
ITF perferably but I am bias.

David Jamieson
12-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Kyukoshin Kai Karate has stronger and harder kicks.

WTF tkd has floopy useless week ass kicks. Yes it does, shut your mouth!!! :mad:

ITF tkd has good kicks. :)

K1 karate trains them properly and therefor has more powerful kicks than ITF tkd.

This is just my opinion.

Kung Fu has fantastic strength kicks, but you look like you wanna fast track 3 or 4 decent kicks as opposed to learning twenty and maybe getting good at a couple.

practice makes perfect. that's the rule you need to follow.
and don't expect perfection, just keep going towards it.

mickey
12-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Greetings,

I thought breaking was all about raining structure. Not any more.

I have seen the ability that just did not stop the bag with a kick. The person bounced the bag back a little. Now that is dangerous.

mickey

-N-
12-15-2011, 08:43 PM

That test is ok, but you have to be careful not to fool yourself by "passing" the test by using a static structure.

Some people will connect and stay rigid and leave their arm extended. Or they may connect slowly and it becomes a type of push.

Both of those will reinforce bad habits that will get a person in trouble when going against another person.

It will be good to use realistic striking with proper structure that appears and disappears as in a real fight.

Hit the bag to knock to it away and hit each time it comes back towards you to rebound it back.

-N-
12-15-2011, 09:12 PM
You can train that method not just with punches and kicks.

You also should use it for training explosive footwork. And if you use 4 corners of the body to strike the bag, you train the proper core body structure as well as work on iron body.

We combine the footwork with the body striking against the bag and do reps to snap the bag as far away as possible with the shortest and sharpest possible impact. This is a regular part of our heavy bag workout.

We also use this method with taichi and mantis close range forearm striking.

-N-
12-15-2011, 09:14 PM
You also should use it for training explosive footwork. And if you use 4 corners of the body to strike the bag, you train the proper core body structure as well as work on iron body..

This is a good way to train students to make full commitment to aggressive deep attacks.

Dragonzbane76
12-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Best is resistance with partner, although sometimes you don't have the luxury of another individual.
Sometimes you have to make due with what you got.

-N-
12-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Heavy bag is like the Terminator.

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

Or at least it keeps going until you can't anymore.

Lucas
12-16-2011, 08:28 AM
And most importantly, it feels no pain and is very hard to injure.

-N-
12-16-2011, 08:35 AM
And most importantly, it feels no pain and is very hard to injure.

Yep, ftw!
----------

Lucas
12-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Your post made me wish I have a terminator to program as a training partner!! Just imagine if you had person that could not be hurt by you!!

Shaolin
12-16-2011, 11:32 AM
The heavy bag will be just like a 200 lb guy runs full speed toward you and tries to knock your head off.

Or I could lateral movements.

Don't be on the tracks when the train's coming.

sanjuro_ronin
12-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Missing the point of the test dude.

YouKnowWho
12-16-2011, 11:42 AM

I though we alway want to create a chance for that "head on collision". For you to move forward and punch on your opponent, or for your opponent to move forward and run into your punch, the result should be the same. The difference is your opponent will do the "entering" for you. That will save you a lot of effort.

Lucas
12-16-2011, 11:43 AM
i want to try getting one of those heavy throwing dummies with a handle on its back and have a friend charge me with it to test throws on a rushing target, i think that would be fun. ya you can do that with a person, but at least with a dummy you can purposefuly dump them on their head over and over.

Shaolin
12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I though we alway want to create a chance for that "head on collision". For you to move forward and punch on your opponent, or for your opponent to move forward and run into your punch, the result should be the same. The difference is your opponent will do the "entering" for you. That will save you a lot of effort.

A lateral movement does prepare for a "head on collision." My training over that past decade and a half whether it have been in Kempo, Tai Chi, Shaolin, Boxing, Wrestling, Jui Jitsu or Thai Boxing has been to avoid as much damage as possible. Maybe I'm not understanding the question but it appears to me we're trying to prepare for a 200 lbs man rushing in on us. Yes? I'm going to give an answer that my first instructor always gave us whenever we asked him a hypothetical situation question. "It depends."

1. It depends on which direction the attack is coming from. 2. It depends on the distance in which the attack is coming from. 3. It depends on if the attacker is rushing in for a take down or swinging wildly.

1. If the 'rush' is coming from behind there's not much one can do to prepare for it and you're probably getting run over.

2. Wrestling basics 101: if you can't touch your opponent with your back hand you're too far away for a shot. So if my attacker is further away then back arms reach then he/she doesn't stand much of a chance getting a hold of me because I'm going to move before he/she reaches their targeted destination.

3. If my attacker is rushing in swinging wildly I'm not going to jump into the pocket and start banging away. I zig, he zags and one lucky shot later I'm KO'd.

sanjuro_ronin
12-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Your post made me wish I have a terminator to program as a training partner!! Just imagine if you had person that could not be hurt by you!!

Holodeck training program.
Oh what I wouldn't give !!!

Lucas
12-19-2011, 04:19 PM

being honesty here...i think mayhaps i might end up training something other than kungfu in that thing for the most part :eek:

Fa Xing
12-19-2011, 07:41 PM

Every time I watch Star Trek, I think how awesome it would be to have one of those. I could totally set up training programs and Bruce Lee personal training sessions.

One can dream...one can dream....:)

bawang
12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
insult a black man.

sanjuro_ronin
12-20-2011, 06:51 AM
being honesty here...i think mayhaps i might end up training something other than kungfu in that thing for the most part :eek:

just clean up after yourself, you sick *******

sanjuro_ronin
12-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Every time I watch Star Trek, I think how awesome it would be to have one of those. I could totally set up training programs and Bruce Lee personal training sessions.

One can dream...one can dream....:)

To be able to go for real with a training partner, to actually apply the "too deadly", that would be awesome.
To kill and maim to ones heart content....brings a tear to my eye...*sniff*

lance
01-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Let a heavy bag to swing to the other side as high as it can. When that heavy bag swing at you, you use your punch or kick to stop that bag. If you can still stand with solid body structure without being pushing back by that heavy bag, you have good power and good structure, otherwise you don't.

The heavy bag will be just like a 200 lb guy runs full speed toward you and tries to knock your head off. If you can stop that guy's charging, your training is on the right track. Since this test cannot be done "solo", Fajin into the thin air make little sense IMO.

Unless you can throw a 90 lb throwing dummy over your head, to say that you can throw a 200 lb guy over your head will need some test. The reason is simple, no matter how much power that you can generate into the thin air, your "body structure" may not be strong enough to take the counter force when it comes back to you.

I would rather have a partner hold an air shield for me . then that way I can see my progress . Provided that I find the most heaviest guy available . Using a heavy bag is good too but still I would rather have the most heaviest person to hold the bag , then that way I really can see my progress . Unless my kick is so strong I can easily kick it off it attachments to the ceiling . But this only happens to bruce lee . Other than that concentrate on developing the foundation to our bodies the legs , doing the horse stance training or weight training exercises for the legs , and use proper body mechanics and focus on how to apply body mechanics into our stances , footwork and kicking techninique . If I can knock my partner off balance then I ' m doing it right , but if I can ' t even move my opponent at all then , I really need alot of work into my training .