Kairo
05-22-2001, 03:53 PM
???
Anyone help
???
K.

Johnny Hot Shot
05-22-2001, 06:14 PM
Drink at least 4 litres per day. Drink more when you are training hard, you can never drink too much water I'm already on my 3rd litre and its only 9 AM.

mad taoist
05-24-2001, 09:25 AM
no offense, but you can drink too much water. People have died from water intoxication before -- alot of them are the ones anxious about drug tests and drink hell loads of water.

'If we do not go within, we go without'.

UberShaman
05-24-2001, 04:08 PM
You can leach out too many water soluble vitamins and minerals, this happens to athletes quite a bit. A recent NSCA journal article debunked the whole 8 glasses a day myth. I'll see if I can find a link to it online

IronFist
05-26-2001, 04:51 AM
>>>>People have died from water intoxication before -- alot of them are the ones anxious about drug tests and drink hell loads of water

These people were people who drink that much for the purpose of feeling intoxicated (i saw it on the news... hehe).

But, to come close to this you need around 80 glass a day. A gallon is 16 glasses. So, that's right, it takes at least 4 gallons a day to reach this. If you drink 4 gallons a day, you'd better be sitting on a toilet the whole time.

I'd say, 99.999~% of the population do not need to worry abou water intoxication. And I doubt anyone worried about a drug test actually drank in excess of 2 gallons a day, but if they did, ****, maybe they should lay off the drugs.

Kairo, drink as much as makes you feel good. Start at 8 glasses a day and work up to a gallon (16 glasses) ideally. If you only get 6 glasses one day that's fine. It all depends. If you drink only 8 a day you'll still be healthier than most people. Just know that if it's like 8pm and you're going to workout, and you haven't drank anything all day, you might start feeling light headed. So, I'd say under normal conditions (ie, NOT working out in an unaircondidtioned room, or in a desert, etc) if you drink two glasses of water 30 minutes before you work out you'll be fine. Sip on water throughout your workout, and drink it afterwards if you're thirsty.

I've heard caffiene dehydrates you, so don't be a caffiene monger before a workout. A little is ok, but don't forget the water. Also remember that your body will develop a tolerance to caffiene after a while, so if you slam a Dew before your workout every night, after a while you'll stop feeling it's effects.

Does all this help? Let me know if you've got more quetsions.

Iron

UberShaman
05-26-2001, 08:29 AM
Theres no set amount of water a human needs everyone has a different weight so those X many glasses per day recomendations are myths. Everyone has a different amount of body mass to hydrate. your body also takes fluid from just about anything containing moisture you eat. Milk, juice and most beverages except for cafeinated ones also will rehydrate you. Females in particular have fluid needs that vary drastically on a weekly basis due to hormonal fluctuations. The general rule for an athlete in training is to drink enough to have 4 or 5 clear urinations per da

IronFist
05-27-2001, 05:01 AM
Uber said

". Everyone has a different amount of body mass to hydrate. your body also takes fluid from just about anything containing moisture you eat. Milk, juice and most beverages except for cafeinated ones also will rehydrate you. "

Well, your body does take moisture from everything you eat... but pure water is 99% better than the water you'd get form eating an orange for example, which is why most people think water should be consumed daily, regardless of whatever else you eat or drink.

He also said:

"The general rule for an athlete in training is to drink enough to have 4 or 5 clear urinations per da "

Yeah, i guess that's a good rule to go by, too. All of your urinations, including your morning pee (ideally) should be clear. This indicates sufficient hydration. Good call.

Iron

watercloud
05-28-2001, 08:01 PM
water can also help prevent cramps.

Tvebak
05-28-2001, 10:13 PM
And dont drink icecold water during training, it can really hurt like hell.
Just wanted to mention it.

Daedalus
05-28-2001, 11:30 PM
2 cups - 2 hrs before working out
2 cups - 15 minutes before working out
2 oz. every 15 minutes during a workout
at least 2 cups immediately afterward

These recommendations are taken from the American Council on Exercise(ACE).

Kristoffer
05-30-2001, 03:53 PM
"2 oz. every 15 minutes during a workout"

no offence, but i think this is wrong. If u drink during, or just before a workout. Then you get more exhausted and can get winded more easely. I've had alot of people telling me this, and I've experienced this myself. It is probebly different from person to person.
:D

~K~
the super-duper supreme

Johnny Hot Shot
06-06-2001, 05:52 PM
How much daily? Currently I'm drinking about 6 to 8 litres a day at least. When I train I sweat like a maniac is this good? It feels good but I'm sure that when I'm at the Dojo my partners don't appreciate me dripping sweat all over them. So my questions are how much water daily and how do I aleviate my profuse sweating.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

JWTAYLOR
06-06-2001, 06:16 PM
Sweat is good. Sounds like you are drinking enough water. But no matter how much you drink, don't expect to quit sweating. Sweating is good. It rids your body of toxins, and cools you at the same time. Good.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

UberShaman
06-06-2001, 06:52 PM
Drink enough to have 3-5 clear urinations per day

ElPietro
06-06-2001, 07:11 PM
"Drink enough to have 3-5 clear urinations per day."

That isn't a very accurate way to determine how much water to drink. Everyone has different bodily capacity and needs. Just drink as much as you can and don't worry. Water is great no matter when. As long as you aren't drowning you are fine. ;)

UberShaman
06-06-2001, 07:58 PM
Its a very accurate way, and its recomended by most organizations that train elite athletes. Your own bodies usage is the regulating factor in this method. Too much water can leach water soluble vitamins and minerals from your body. Every marahon will have at least several people who over hydrate and end up getting debilitating cramps from this leaching process.

Brian_CA
06-07-2001, 02:20 AM
If your sweat has a bad smell to it, you are holding toxins in your body. You should notice a less sweating once your body has squeezed out all the toxins. The bad smell should go away first then less sweating. That is the theory anyway. You may however, just sweat alot. If that is the case then your training partner will just have to get over it. It just sweat after all!

Brian
San Francisco, CA

IronFist
06-07-2001, 08:23 AM
Brian_CA said:

"If your sweat has a bad smell to it, you are holding toxins in your body. You should notice a less sweating once your body has squeezed out all the toxins. The bad smell should go away first then less sweating"

No. First of all, the bad smell of sweat results from stagnant sweat (on your clothes or whatever) attracting bacteria. It is the bacteria that smells, not the sweat itself. And just so no one says otherwise, the bacteria is NOT in the sweat when your body produces, it gets trapped in the sweat when it is on your body, clothes, etc.

Second, the body sweats to cool itself down, not to release toxins. The body may become more effecient at keeping itself cool as you work out more, which may result in less sweating, but it has nothing to do with the level of "toxins" in your body.

Iron

SevenStar
06-07-2001, 09:10 AM
"Just drink as much as you can and don't worry."

Not quite...too much water can mess with the digestive process. You need to regulate your water intake.

-SevenStar©
Those who say "BJJ is superior!" are just repeating what they've been told and are too inexperienced to comment. Once you've been there and done that you know to never say never or that one is not always better than the other.

Brian_CA
06-07-2001, 07:59 PM
Dear IronFist,

Firstly, I must ask what your qualifications in order to discuss the body? Are you a doctor? A yoga instructor or perhaps anyone else who has trained extensively in anatomy and physiology? If so, how many people have you healed? what's your track record on this subject?

Secondly, I must repectfully disagree with you. The skin is the largest organ in your body. Part of it's function is excertion. Toxins are expelled through the skin from your internal organs. Thus sweating incurres. While bacteria can can form from sweat, where do you think that bacteria comes from? Only one place, from the sweat of your skin.

While sweat does act as a cooling agent for the body, Sweat results from the body systems working at level that causes stimulation of the internal and external systems.

When you have a fever, what happens? you sweat. Two reasons, one the body uses the skin to expell the sickness from your body and secondly to cool you down.

There is tons of medical study done on the subject. A good deal of talks about sweat and atheletes. Part of the reason people who work out are generally healther is due to the detox you get when you sweat.

Sweating is great, however if are in empty room naked and your sweat stinks, you are releasing toxins and might want to look at your at improving your diet.

hope this helps,

Brian
San Francisco, CA

Kiasyd
06-07-2001, 08:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>While bacteria can can form from sweat, where do you think that bacteria comes from? Only one place, from the sweat of your skin. [/quote]

I appologize for my ignorance, but... Are you saying that we sweat bacteria ??? :Yuck: :eek:

-- Kiasyd

IronFist
06-08-2001, 01:36 AM
(All quotes in this post are from Brian_CA. Responses are in bold for distinction)

"Firstly, I must ask what your qualifications in order to discuss the body? Are you a doctor? A yoga instructor or perhaps anyone else who has trained extensively in anatomy and physiology? If so, how many people have you healed? what's your track record on this subject? "

Sorry dude, I'm not quite a doctor :) I'm only a Junior in college. Actually, I have been studying anatomy, kinesiology, etc. for the past 4 years (longer, but not intensively so I don't count it). I am also the primary trainer at my university's gym. I have an extensive background in nutrition and fitness, primarily bodybuilding and powerlifting. How many people have I healed? What do you mean by "healed?"

"The skin is the largest organ in your body. Part of it's function is excertion."

Well, this does make sense to me. However, I can't agree with you because even if you had someone whose body was "full of toxins" in a cold room, he wouldn't sweat (with a few exceptions, see below).

"While bacteria can can form from sweat, where do you think that bacteria comes from? "

Microscopic bateria in the air. Pure sweat is just salt water. Bacteria on the skin, and in the air, mix with the sweat and produce that smell.

"While sweat does act as a cooling agent for the body, Sweat results from the body systems working at level that causes stimulation of the internal and external systems."

The body sweats to cool itself down. Various things can cause an increase in body temperature, however. (Case from above): if the man was fat, he might be at a hotter body temperature and thsu sweating, or, if he had just consumed a LARGE meal, he might be sweating. The later is common among high level bodybuilders, who take in upwards of 7000 calories a day. The digestion and continious metabolism of such an immense amount of food causes the body to heat up. Simply put, (elite) bodybuilders who are currently bulking sweat a lot. Note however, that this most likely doesn't apply to any recreational BB'ers you see at your local gym.

"When you have a fever, what happens? you sweat. Two reasons, one the body uses the skin to expell the sickness from your body and secondly to cool you down."

Fever = increased body temperature. Therefore, the body sweats to cool itself down.

"There is tons of medical study done on the subject."

I would be interested to see some legit research on sweating to "release toxins." All of the info I have seen that says you sweat to release toxins is somehow related to the sale of saunas, so of course they would have you believe that.

"Part of the reason people who work out are generally healther is due to the detox you get when you sweat."

Um, part of the reason people who work out are generally healthier is because working out stimulates muscles, increases blood flow, promotes abdominal breathing (same reason people who practice qigong are healthier), etc. I don't think sweating has much to do with it, aside from the fact that working out makes you hot, thus, sweat. Actually, research has proven that the amount you sweat is not related to the effeciency of your workout (that's why they say don't workout in extra sweatshirts just to sweat more, because it doesn't make any difference.)

"Sweating is great, however if are in empty room naked and your sweat stinks, you are releasing toxins and might want to look at your at improving your diet."

And why might it stink? Because in an empty room there is still a) bacteria on your body and b) bacteria in the air (both my reasons for the stink, as explained above).

Brian, if you can provide legit sources to back up what you say, please do so. I'm not saying I'm 100% right, I'm just relaying what I have researched, been told, experienced, etc.

Iron

JWTAYLOR
06-08-2001, 02:59 AM
I can't find any hard facts on the subject, but if every Drivers Ed course I've ever taken (and to get out of tickets I've taken allot), they say that most of the alchohol in your body is processed and released through sweat more than anything else.

And from personal experience, when I drink, no matter what the temperature is or my level of activity, I reek of whatever alchohol I've drank. My wife knows what I've drank by the smell of my skin.
Sorry for the only slightly disgusting explanation, but I'm Irish.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Brian_CA
06-08-2001, 03:40 AM
Dear Iron Fist,

Thanks for responding. Perhaps, my original post was slightly misleading. Let me preface by giving my qualications on the subject. I am Martial artist of 10 year primarily. In addition I am a certifed Yoga instructor and a trained Body Rolling instructor. Over the last 10 years I have researched the body and its Physiology. I work on a continuing basis with clientele who have a number of Physical ailments, restrictions and issues.

I have extensively studied kinesiolgy, applied kinesiology, anatomy, physiology, nutrition, Hung gar, Hatha Yoga and other forms of bodywork.

I am not disagreeing with what you say about sweating, I am simply trying to add to knowledge which has already been mentioned. Let me first explain, what is ment by "toxins".

Anything the body cannot use to regenerate itself, poisons, bacteria, fecal matter, urine can be considered to be toxins. The release of these toxins are through the Integumentary, Lymphatic, Urinary and the Digestive systems.

As sweating is simply one way of the body releasing those toxins. Of course, if the conditions for the body are not met for the body to sweat then toxins will not be released. However, those toxins will find a way out of your body. Or they will begin to damage your body.

Yes, you are correct in your statement that how much you sweat does not increase perfomance. It's what in the sweat that counts. It is also be proven that over sweating causes dehydration and is hard on the kidneys. In my orginal post I do mention that sweating should decrease.

You are right pure sweat is mainly salt water, however according to the "Essentials of Antatomy and Phyisiology" by Martini & Bartholomew sweat contains a mixture of electrolytes, metabolites, and waste products such as urea.

The electolytes give the sweat a salty flavor and the waste products give off an odor. It is these waste products that contain bacteria and attract bacteria in the air. After these to meet to fester, you get the ordor you describe. However, if you have ever trained a cancer patient or a alcoholic you should notice an bad smell when they sweat during their workout. These are the Toxins I am talking about.

Bikram Choudury was commisioned by a group of
Japanese scientiests to prove that the yoga he taught worked every system in the body. Part of the research was one the skin. They found that when sweating occurs, the skin begins to help detoxification of the internal systems. It aided in taking the pressure of the other excreamentory systems there by making the body work effectively.

In additon, look in Gray Anatomy. While Phyisiology is not discussed in huge detail, it is still a good book to check out.

Also check, the New England Journal of Medicine. I will look around for the article that I read from them on the subject.

Over the next couple of days I will try and provide you more documentation on the subject if you wish. It will take awhile, I need to go through books and as you well now, medical books are long!

Hope I have answered you question regarding my post.

Brian
San Francisco, CA

UberShaman
06-08-2001, 08:24 PM
you dont sweat bacteria these are present all over your body and just do better in moist areas, armpits etc. The reason cancer patients smell like that are metabolites of the medicines they use. A cancer victim who is not on medication does not have that smell no matter how much they sweat. It works the same way when you have alcohol in your system. I dont have the facts of your study but when a study is commisioned to prove something it usually does, does this mean it was accurate of course not. Remember that until just a few years ago the JAMA was standing behind a study that proved that anabolic steroids do not help you to build muscle. We all know that was a crock. Also a fever is supposed to heat your body to the point that it becomes too hot for many viri, bacteria etc. when these are killed they are not excreted through sweat but drained through your lymphatic system.

Fish of Fury
06-09-2001, 02:55 PM
serious question...
where are these metabolites coming out then?

you may be technically correct in stating that "toxins" (as good a word as any for metabolic end products the body needs to excrete IMO) aren't excreted in sweat specifically, but such metabolites can be excreted through the skin

eg.
alliin (amino acid derivitave in garlic) is converted to allicin by allinase. allicin is the compound responsible for the "garlic smell" people can get after eating it, and it is excreted via the skin.even the feet can smell of garlic after eating it.
i merely mention this to demonstrate that compounds other than water can be released via the skin

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I never drive faster than i can see...other than that...it's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

Repulsive Monkey
06-10-2001, 05:21 PM
Too much (depending on ones constitution) can have a damaginbg effect on the Spleen and Stomach. Too much cold fluids through out the day can effect one's excretion and produce irregularities, so one has to regulate the temperature and amount of dampness one is allowing into the body.Dampness in the Chinese way of thinking will lead to lethargy and slowness, possibly lassitude too. Too much sweating is not very healthy. If one is making the body push unnatural amounts of fluids through and out of the body then one can set it ut of balance. Fluids and dryness are Yin and Tang. All Yin and Yang must be in balance for good progressive health.

orion
07-19-2001, 08:07 PM
This is about a post that was put up in June about water intake. You can never take in to much water. Everything in your body is made of water and needs water, even your digestive system. During hot weather training you should drink water before your workout until you can not possible take in anymore. Then drink water during your workout to replace what you lose through sweating. After your workout you should drink more water or a good sports drink to replinish nutrients lost while sweating. You should urinate frequently throughout the day and it should be clear to a lemonade color. Water is also the best medicine for losing weight, it can keep you feeling full and it helps rid your body of wastes.

Stranger
07-19-2001, 08:18 PM
Too much of anything is no good.

Too much water is disruptive to your digestive system and impedes the processing of nutrients.

You should drink lots of water, but if you take it too far....you'll experience negative side effects.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Johnny Hot Shot
07-19-2001, 08:46 PM
As most long term Martial Artist I am very familiar with the signals my body is giving me. I drink at least 6 litres a day but I sweat like a maniac. I feel great, some days I drink more water than others. it all depends on the day and the activites.

If it feels good do it, when it starts to hurt stop.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

RENEGADE_MONK
07-20-2001, 12:20 AM
Actually You should consume up to four quarts of water daily. Drink water before you feel thirsty

Do not drink large quantities of water during your workout doing so could cause cramping, and nausea, instead drink no more than 2cups at 15-20 min intervals. what I do is I drink water thruout my day starting with my breakfast I drink 24oz

2hrs before I train I'll drink another 12-24oz
and 15-20 before class I'll dring another 12oz or so to give me enough time to p i s s out the excess

[This message was edited by RENEGADE_MONK on 07-21-01 at 11:41 AM.]

Repulsive Monkey
07-22-2001, 10:43 PM
This regimented view that we all need X amount of water is quite a dangerous line to take, and from a health point of view a potentially hazardous one too. There is a hypothetical view of an average body needing a minimum level of fluids to fulfill its basic functions, but it is simply ignorant to declare that everyone needs a specific amount of water. It is very true in Chinese Medicine that too many fluids in the body consistently can contribute to various disharmonies of health. One should be sensible about fluid intake and not be rigid in thinking "... oh no I still need to down another 3 pints today or I will be unhealthy..." kind of attitude, becasue the truth is simplt that this isn't necessarily true. Be sensible folk!!

Lost_Disciple
07-23-2001, 04:01 AM
I dunno, maybe I have some kind of oral fixation or something, but I almost constantly need to have a drink of water going. I rarely go more than 2 or 3 hours with a drink of some kind. It's easier than drinking my water all at once and it's kind of a habit now.
Hope that don't mean my digestive system's shot; cuz I drink like between a half a gallon and a gallon everyday.

Ah well.

IronFist
07-23-2001, 06:10 AM
Dude there's nothing wrong with drinking a gallon a day. The "doctor recommended" amount is 8 glasses a day, which is a half gallon. If your body is craving more than a gallon, you might start worrying, but a gallon is fine. I drank a gallon every day last year in college. It's good for you. Just maybe think about increasing your vitamin intake because I heard too much water may flush vitamins out of your system, but I've never seen any research to prove such a fact.

Iron

Lost_Disciple
07-23-2001, 07:37 AM
Oki, 2 centrum a day then. You know if Centrum is actually a decent multivitamin? I hate the GNC brands, and most of the others make me pee a bright green.

IronFist
07-23-2001, 08:36 AM
Honestly I use a generic Walmart one. I assume Centrum is one of those 100-150% of everything, right?

Just make sure that since you're a guy, you're not taking a multivitamin with iron. Too much iron in guys causes constipation :( Also, stiff joints over time. Girls need iron, however, cuz they lose blood once a month :)

If you take it twice a day, make sure it's after a meal. Certain vitamins (everything except C and the B vitamins) won't be processed without fat to help them, so if you take it with no fat you'll be wasting the vitamin. C and B's are water soluble, so just a glass of water works for them.

So, eat a big meal, take a vitamin, you're all set. Take them like 12 hours apart for maximal usage. That's what I do.

Iron

Becca
06-27-2006, 09:46 PM
... I know this; I really do. But for what ever reason, I just didn't today. The results were really bad, too. This was the first regular class I've been able to make in over 2 weeks, but I had been training, so I wasn't expecting to gas too badly. I figured out pretty early on that I really didn't drink enough by about 200 meters into the run, though. You know that pasty coating you get in your mouth 2/3s of the way through a guelling run? I had it before I got to the top of Brittny Hill. I was actually looking forward to the calistenics part of class! So, of course, we didn't do calistenics... We wheel barrow walked up a fight of steps 2 times then spider crawled down then 2 times. Well, the rest of the class did. I never made all 3 landings either time on the way up, and the way down looked more like a sack of taters sliding down the hill. My shins are killing me...

The moral of this tale?

Drink Your **** Water!

The Willow Sword
06-27-2006, 10:08 PM
I got Two Words for you, "GU Packets". I swear by the gods of whatever universe that GU packets are the SH!T.

I also drink a recovery and fatigue fighting drink during my runs called "Cytomax". the stuff is great as well.

Dont drink too much water before training, like running and such, you will get nasty cramps that will stop you in your tracks. and it shouldnt be cold water, needs to be tepid or you will get a serious headache, of course im sure it doesnt get so blaring hot in colorado. It sure does here in Austin TX.

down a GU packet and drink about 16 oz of water 15 minutes before you start running/training etc. then hydrate in small amounts as you go(with the cytomax or just plain ole water) then drink another 16 oz of whatever will replenish electrolytes potassium sodium is lost.
its what i do and it has made ALL the difference.

The reason i am writing this is because there was an article in the recent past that i read where people such as atheletes/ tri-atheletes and such were hydrating themselves TOO Much and suffering heart attacks. You certainly do not want to water log yourself.

Peace,TWS

Becca
06-28-2006, 08:50 PM
You are right WS. Too much water is every bit as bad as too little. I strive for 3-4 liters per day, spread out over the whole day. Yesterday, I only got about 1. Really not enough. And you are also right that Colorado don't get as hot as parts of Texas. But we do average mid 90s this time of year with a few 100+ days mixed in. Heat was not an issue yesterday, though. I just didn't keep myself hydrated.

And what the heck are GU packs?

On another topic, have you seen those Jelly Belly electrolite jelly beens? They are realy not too bad. And I hate Gatorade, so they come in handy.

And on another side note. Forget how my shins felt... I actually think I broke my pinky toe. It was fine when I got ready for kung fu, but when I stripped down for my shower after, there was blood all over one sock, and the toe nail was split in half the long way.:eek:

Days like this really make me wish I had a nice comfy desk job...:(

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-29-2006, 11:09 AM
wait can you point me to any info on overhydration?

there are days i drink more than a gallon of water and i want to make sure im not overdoing it.

jethro
06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
I think a gallon should be the minimum. If you are sitting on your ass all day playign with your computer though, I don't think you need more than a few glasses:p

Becca
06-29-2006, 03:48 PM
wait can you point me to any info on overhydration?

there are days i drink more than a gallon of water and i want to make sure im not overdoing it.
You'll know it if you ever do it. You literally get sick, you have to fight the urge to throw up when you drink. I've also noticed a tendancy to be a bit sluggish when I over hydrate. A good rule of thumb on drinking water is to sip all day long. If you actually feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Sounds kind of gross, but watching the color of your urin will also tell you alot. If it smells like urin or is any darker then very pale yellow, you need more water. Urin actually doesn't have much of a smell if you keep hydrated. If you feel good, are peeing regularly and the urin isn't smelly or dark, you're good. Forcing yourself to drink even more water than you need to meet those criteria is what gets you into trouble.

Willow's tip on warm water is a good one, too. Your body needs to warm up the water to use it without bad side effects, so drinking it tempid, or room temprature, saves it the hassle and allows your body to use it faster. But slowly sipping cool, not cold, water can help you cool down so long as you are not dehydrated. If you are dehydrated slowly sip warm water. Drinking too much can cause your body to go into shock. And shock kills.

The Willow Sword
06-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Here is the Info on Gu Energy Gel.

http://www.gusports.com/html/gu_energy_gel.htm

On another topic, have you seen those Jelly Belly electrolite jelly beens? They are realy not too bad. And I hate Gatorade, so they come in handy

Yeah i have tried them. They are okay. I dont drink gatorade at all. I used to and really wasnt getting the recovery and electrolyte balance that i needed.

LIke i stated in the earlier post "Cytomax" OR "Gookanaid"(weird name eh?) are great and natural electrolyte replenishers.

You can get the GU gel and the other stuff at places like REI camping outlets or GNC nutrition.

Sorry about your piggy that went wee wee all the way home getting busted, Ouchie:eek:

Peace and Be Well,,TWS

IronFist
06-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Some people drink too much water on purpose to get high. I saw something on TV about it years ago... I think it was around like 4 gallons a day. I'm not sure how these people didn't live on the toilet.

Oh yeah, and urine is spelled with an "e" at the end :)

But your urine won't be clear if you take a multivitamin with lots of vitamin B in it. It will be bright yellow/green :)

Becca
06-30-2006, 05:52 PM
But your urine won't be clear if you take a multivitamin with lots of vitamin B in it. It will be bright yellow/green :)
True. But it still won't ne dark...

dougadam
07-02-2006, 01:25 PM
I agree you should drink water before and during you're workouts. But also you need to replenish your electrolytes potassium sodium.

Kellen Bassette
12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
How do you guys feel about taking water during hard training sessions?

Back in the day It was a point of pride for me to not drink any water until I was done training, or not more than once an hour if we doing real hard 2 or 3 hour sessions. I would never let myself dehydrate to the point where I didn't sweat, of course, but I wouldn't take it until I needed it.

Nowadays I like to drink small amounts of water more frequently. I worry that if you don't take water, you burn out faster than you could have otherwise. I feel like I may be able to train better/longer if I take a little water every 15 minutes or so during intense workouts.

Do you feel that depriving yourself of water, (within reason) helps your endurance? Or will it just lead to sloppier form and burning out quicker? Does taking it more often hurt your endurance abilities?

JamesC
12-27-2012, 10:06 PM
I've always just gotten drinks of water when the opportunity presented itself.

Sometimes that would be more rare than others.

I don't really know much about the physiology behind it. Perhaps some of the more educated could tell us.

Does working out at a water deprived state make your body more efficient at using water? I don't mean dangerously low, obviously.

Would said person perform better than someone who maintains a high water consumption and then becomes dehydrated?

YouKnowWho
12-27-2012, 10:24 PM
I only drink "hot water" during and after workout. If you let your body temperature to

- increase 1 degree, your immune system will increase 6 times.
- drop 1 degree, your immune system will decrease 30%.

If you keep your body temperature high, cancer cells will never grow inside your body. This is why we have not heard about "heart cancer" because the temperature is too high there.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-cancer/AN01288

Kellen Bassette
12-27-2012, 11:24 PM
I've always just gotten drinks of water when the opportunity presented itself.

Sometimes that would be more rare than others.

I don't really know much about the physiology behind it. Perhaps some of the more educated could tell us.

Does working out at a water deprived state make your body more efficient at using water? I don't mean dangerously low, obviously.

Would said person perform better than someone who maintains a high water consumption and then becomes dehydrated?

Yeah I was hoping one of those smart sport/science guys could drop some knowledge about that...not against hearing the traditions and opinions as well though....

Kellen Bassette
12-27-2012, 11:26 PM
I only drink "hot water" during and after workout. If you let your body temperature to

If you keep your body temperature high, cancer cells will never grow inside your body. This is why we have not heard about "heart cancer" because the temperature is too high there.

I trained with just hot water before in China...I got the reasons but it was tough to get used to. I didn't even want the water..I felt so unrefreshed. I'm sure you get used to it though if you stick with it....

YouKnowWho
12-27-2012, 11:41 PM
I trained with just hot water before in China...I got the reasons but it was tough to get used to. I didn't even want the water..I felt so unrefreshed. I'm sure you get used to it though if you stick with it....

It's easier for people in China to get used to the hot water. Unless you drink bottle water, you just can't drink cold water.

Kellen Bassette
12-27-2012, 11:53 PM
It's easier for people in China to get used to the hot water. Unless you drink bottle water, you just can't drink cold water.

Lol..you got that right. When I was a kid I used to work with some Ukrainian Immigrants, you'd give them a cold soda and they would put it in their pocket until it warmed up...took them a while to start liking cold drinks.

Oso
12-27-2012, 11:58 PM
imo, it depends upon your average hydration.

if you normally stay well hydrated then you could do an hour workout w/o hydrating.

if you aren't normally well hydrated (check your ****, average 'well hydrated' should typically yield a very light yellow color, anything darker and you are not hydrated well) then I would take in 4 oz. every 15 minutes.

if you plan to do any workout longer than 90-120 minutes then you should start taking water 15-20 minutes in to the workout and continue to take water every 15 minutes throughout the workout. 4oz or so at a time. NO MATTER WHAT YOUR AVERAGE HYDRATION LEVEL IS

imo, most people are underhydrated at any given point in time.

i do agree with the 'no cold water' but I don't drink 'hot' water. room temp.

fwiw, I live and work in Hawaii now. On a day that I know I'm working outside all day doing moderate to strenuous activity I drink a pint before eating breakfast, a pint before leaving the cottage and a pint every hour. On those days, I usually weigh 4-6 pounds less at the end of the day than at the beginning even after taking in 3-4 quarts. At the end of the day, I drink a pint of water before my shower and a pint before dinner. I will still usually weigh .5 to 1.0 less the next morning.

Drinking more water is rarely contraindicated.

Kellen Bassette
12-28-2012, 12:30 AM
imo, most people are underhydrated at any given point in time.

i do agree with the 'no cold water' but I don't drink 'hot' water. room temp.

fwiw, I live and work in Hawaii now. On a day that I know I'm working outside all day doing moderate to strenuous activity I drink a pint before eating breakfast, a pint before leaving the cottage and a pint every hour. On those days, I usually weigh 4-6 pounds less at the end of the day than at the beginning even after taking in 3-4 quarts. At the end of the day, I drink a pint of water before my shower and a pint before dinner. I will still usually weigh .5 to 1.0 less the next morning.

Drinking more water is rarely contraindicated.

I'm probably a bit under hydrated most of the time. Maybe that's why I feel like I'll have diminishing returns if I don't take a little water while training.

When I work outside on a hot summer day I can lose 5 pounds over the day...but when I train hard for about 3 hours I probably won't lose more than a pound if I'm drinking while training...(of course I drink a lot after I finish, that may be why)...don't know if that's good or bad...

Oso
12-28-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm probably a bit under hydrated most of the time. Maybe that's why I feel like I'll have diminishing returns if I don't take a little water while training.

When I work outside on a hot summer day I can lose 5 pounds over the day...but when I train hard for about 3 hours I probably won't lose more than a pound if I'm drinking while training...(of course I drink a lot after I finish, that may be why)...don't know if that's good or bad...

drink water. whether you feel you want/need it or not. especially if working long hours in hot conditions or any workout over 30 minutes. it's really not that hard a question. :)

IronFist
12-30-2012, 10:50 AM
I prefer Powerade. But only drink it during your workouts, not during the day, because it's just sugar water that costs more than regular water.

Oso
12-30-2012, 11:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

Scott R. Brown
12-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Years ago, when I had the time and worked days, my workouts were 5-1/2 hrs. 3-4 days per week. I had to take nourishment and fluids during these long workouts our they would have been impossible to complete. Especially since I performed my workouts after an 8 hour work day.

After much experimentation with different juices and sports drinks I found that the best combination was 1/2 water and 1/2 Hawaiian Punch. I know it sounds weird, and being about half a health nut, I wasn't too pleased with having to drink red dye #12 during my workouts. But it worked better than orange juice, grape juice, apple juice, Gatorade, etc.

Oso
12-30-2012, 11:50 AM
osmolarity

IronFist
12-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Five and 1/2 hour workouts, what?!

Scott R. Brown
12-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Five and 1/2 hour workouts, what?!

LOL!! I have posted this a few times in the past:

1 hour kicks
1 hour strikes
1 hour weapons
1 hour weights
1 hour stretching
30 min run!

It was only 3-4 days per week though. It wasn't like I did it every day. I also went to Aikido for 2 1/2 hours twice a week too, though.

Frost
12-30-2012, 04:07 PM
How do you guys feel about taking water during hard training sessions?

Back in the day It was a point of pride for me to not drink any water until I was done training, or not more than once an hour if we doing real hard 2 or 3 hour sessions. I would never let myself dehydrate to the point where I didn't sweat, of course, but I wouldn't take it until I needed it.

Nowadays I like to drink small amounts of water more frequently. I worry that if you don't take water, you burn out faster than you could have otherwise. I feel like I may be able to train better/longer if I take a little water every 15 minutes or so during intense workouts.

Do you feel that depriving yourself of water, (within reason) helps your endurance? Or will it just lead to sloppier form and burning out quicker? Does taking it more often hurt your endurance abilities?

No it doesnt help your endurance or performance, even being slightly dehydration can adversely effect your ability to think and perform

every major athletic team employs water carriers for a reason, most sports have water breaks again for a reason, there is also a reason that these same teams weigh their players before and after training and games and dont let them go until they are fully hydrated

wenshu
12-30-2012, 06:39 PM
milk + gin

SoCo KungFu
12-31-2012, 12:30 AM

This is not correct sorry. Cancer is linked to cell division, it is essentially uncontrolled cellular proliferation. Cancer doesn't occur in cardiac tissue with any regularity because cardiac cells are incredibly long lasting by comparison to other tissues. Meaning they don't divide very often. It has nothing to do with temperature.

As to the topic. There's absolutely no logical reason not to hydrate while exercising. Anything you've heard telling you not to do so, is folk nonsense. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with drinking cool water. It won't shock your organs. It won't cause steam to scorch your insides. It won't cause cancer. Cool water is probably more comfortable than iced cold water. And tastes more appealing than warm water. The only difference is rate at which your body can absorb that water. Cool water is the optimum for bodily absorption.

Scott R. Brown
12-31-2012, 03:29 AM
milk + gin

Isn't that how they make cottage cheese?

GeneChing
01-03-2018, 02:27 PM
I have yet to see this on sale in the Si Valley and I frequent the sort of shops you'd think would sell this. Plus Rainbow Grocery is in SF. :mad:

Food-safety expert warns latest bizarre Silicon Valley $60 'raw water' trend could quickly turn deadly (http://www.businessinsider.com/silicon-valleys-raw-water-trend-could-turn-deadly-2018-1)
Kate Taylor
24h

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/5a4bf747cf698a840a8b45ed-959/screen%20shot%202018-01-02%20at%2041735%20pm.png
Live Water is a startup selling untreated water. Live Water

Silicon Valley is developing an obsession with untreated, unfiltered water, according to The New York Times.

But a food-poisoning expert says that the trend is dangerous and could be deadly.

"Raw" water can spread bacteria and diseases including cholera, E. coli, Hepatitis A, and Giardia.

When food-safety expert Bill Marler saw The New York Times' trend piece on Silicon Valley's recent obsession with raw water, he thought he was reading a headline from The Onion.

According to The Times, demand for unfiltered water is skyrocketing as tech-industry insiders develop a taste for water that hasn't been treated, to prevent the spread of bacteria or other contaminants.

In San Francisco, "unfiltered, untreated, unsterilized spring water" is selling for as much as $60.99 for a 2.5 gallon jug. Startups dedicated to untreated water are popping up. People — including startup Juicero's cofounder Doug Evans — are gathering gallons of untreated water from natural springs to bring to Burning Man.

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/5a4bf891396e37a10e8b4596-765/screen%20shot%202018-01-02%20at%2042403%20pm.png
Tourmaline Spring sells an untreated water as "sacred, living water." Tourmaline Spring
While Evans and other fans say raw water is perfect for those who are "extreme about health," Marler — a food-safety advocate and a lawyer — says the opposite is true.

"Almost everything conceivable that can make you sick can be found in water," Marler told Business Insider.

Unfiltered, untreated water, even from the cleanest streams, can contain animal feces, spreading Giardia, which has symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea and results in roughly 4,600 hospitalizations a year. Hepatitis A, which resulted in 20 deaths in a California outbreak in 2017, can be spread through water if it isn't treated. E. coli, and cholera can also be transmitted via untreated water.

Because filtered, treated water has become the norm, Marler says, most people don't realize how dangerous s0-called raw water can be.

"The diseases that killed our great-grandparents were completely forgotten about," he said.

Most Americans don't personally know anyone who died of Hepatitis A or cholera, thanks to advances in technology and more stringent safety standards. As a result, they had a hard time realizing the risks involved in consuming untreated water.

"It's fine till some 10-year-old girl dies a horrible death from cholera in Montecito, California," Marler said.

On January 2, Business Insider's Melia Robinson visited a San Francisco supermarket where a small company called Live Water sells its untreated water. Rainbow Grocery was sold out of the Fountain of Truth Spring Water from Live Water, but a sign indicated a "slight price increase."

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/5a4c2f57cf698a1d008b482e-2000/raw-water-live-water-san-francisco-1.jpg
An empty container sits on a shelf in Rainbow Grocery, where Live Water is sold. Melia Robinson/Business Insider

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5a4c2f49cf698a2e0a8b46d0-2000/raw-water-live-water-san-francisco-5.jpg
Rainbow Grocery is expecting a new shipment of Live Water on January 4. Melia Robinson/Business Insider

The cost of a 2.5 gallon jug increased from $36.99 to $60.99 since The Times' article published. While the price includes the glass container, a refill costs only $14.99, according to The Times.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5a4c2f4b396e37ef1a8b45a3-2000/raw-water-live-water-san-francisco-2.jpg
Melia Robinson/Business Insider

According to Marler, the raw-water trend is similar to people's obsession with raw milk or opposition to vaccines. While they lack scientific evidence, they're convinced that they are correct, in part because they have failed to see the repercussions of life without scientific advances.

"You can't stop consenting adults from being stupid," Marler said. "But we should at least try."

Melia Robinson contributed reporting.

GeneChing
01-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Reported by Time & NYT now. Hard to know what to believe lately...

'Raw Water' Is a New Health Trend. But Is It Safe? (http://time.com/5085792/is-raw-water-safe/)
By JAMIE DUCHARME January 3, 2018
TIME Health
For more, visit TIME Health.

A New York Times story in December introduced a new health buzzword to the masses: raw water, or water that hasn’t been treated, filtered or processed in any way.

While the beverage isn’t widespread yet, a number of untreated water startups have cropped up in states ranging from California to Maine, according to the Times. They’re attracting those with misgivings about tap water treatment processes and additives, as well as people who want to preserve the natural substances found in virgin water.

But is the stuff even safe?

The water system in the U.S. isn’t perfect — there are aging pipes and infrastructure issues, for example, and lead contamination like that in Flint, Mich. — but it has greatly improved public health over the past century. After the U.S. introduced filtration, chlorination and sanitation practices for public drinking water, the burden of water-borne illnesses such as cholera and typhoid fever plummeted almost to zero, says Kellogg Schwab, a professor of water and public health at Johns Hopkins University’s Bloomberg School of Public Health. “It was truly instrumental in improving public health in the United States,” Schwab says. “Having a central treatment process of our drinking water and then distributing it out to the individual homes and businesses is a tremendous asset that we, as a country, take for granted.”

Drinking untreated water, and the pathogens that can lurk within it, could expose Americans to disease outbreaks once again, says Vince Hill, chief of the CDC’s Waterborne Disease Prevention Branch. “When water isn’t treated, it can contain chemicals and germs that can make us sick or cause disease outbreaks,” he says. “Anything you can think of can be in untreated water, really,” ranging from agricultural runoff and naturally occurring chemicals to bacteria and viruses.

And while community tap water is treated to remove 91 different contaminants, there’s little data showing what’s in raw water. “That’s the part that is concerning, because there are many sources of water contamination that can affect spring water,” Hill says.

As for concerns about fluoride — a chemical added to community water supplies to help prevent tooth decay — Vincent Casey, a senior water sanitation and hygiene manager at clean water nonprofit WaterAid, says it’s not harmful at the levels found in drinking water, even though it is hazardous at high concentrations. (Due to its potential health consequences, some vocal opponents have called for an end to water fluoridation.)

“In low quantities, it is scientifically proven that it is beneficial to dental health,” Casey says. “If a water company or a utility is carrying out its treatment to the right standards, there shouldn’t be instances where these concentrations are going to hazardous levels at all.”

If you’re concerned about your tap water, Hill says, it’s better to invest in a home filtration or testing system than to turn to untreated water.

Casey agrees. “If you’ve got the luxury of a treated, piped water supply to your home available, it’s not really a good idea to drink untreated water,” he says. “There are obviously many people in the world who don’t have that luxury.”

mickey
01-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Reported by Time & NYT now. Hard to know what to believe lately...

So Interesting,

Given their professional experience these people only offer speculation over the concrete. That is pathetic and I am being very polite about this.

mickey

wiz cool c
01-08-2018, 07:02 PM
So Interesting,

Given their professional experience these people only offer speculation over the concrete. That is pathetic and I am being very polite about this.

mickey

don't get your panties in a bunch

rett2
01-09-2018, 02:13 PM
"You can't stop consenting adults from being stupid," Marler said. "But we should at least try."

My favorite quote from the article

wiz cool c
01-09-2018, 02:28 PM
This message is hidden because rett2 is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

Don't nobody want to listen to you:)

rett2
01-10-2018, 10:38 AM
So Interesting,

You'd think that if they're selling the water as (basically) a foodstuff the FDA or the state would require them to test it for contaminants. Then Vince#1 would get the data he says is missing, from case to case.

I can't imagine how the new agers dare sell stuff that can be contaminated considering the risk of litigation if someone gets sick from it.

GeneChing
04-04-2021, 09:38 AM
FDA slams “Real Water” linked to liver failure; water plant manager MIA (https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/04/water-company-linked-to-liver-failure-spars-with-fda-cant-find-plant-manager/)
A lawyer for the water company said it can't find its plant manager or lead technician.
BETH MOLE - 4/1/2021, 9:53 AM

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Hepatitis-A-Real-Water-Alkaline-Water-800x533.jpeg
Enlarge / Images of Real Water's "alkalized" products, which the FDA now says you should not drink or use.

The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday admonished Nevada-based company Real Water for being uncooperative in a multi-state health investigation linked to its “alkalized” water products. The company is accused of poisoning its customers, causing acute liver failure and other serious health problems in adults, children, and pets.

On March 16, the FDA and the Southern Nevada Health District announced that they were investigating cases of acute non-viral hepatitis (resulting in acute liver failure) in five infants and children, all of whom consumed the company’s alkaline water. The water was the only common link between the five children and infants. Since then, customers have filed several lawsuits making similar claims, including three Californian women who filed a federal lawsuit in Nevada March 22 seeking class-action status.
In an investigation update Wednesday, the FDA said its work has been hamstrung by Real Water’s failure to hand over critical records for two of its product facilities. Real Water has also failed to notify its distributors of the March 24 recall of all its water products, which are still being offered for sale by online retailers, the FDA noted. In addition, the FDA reported that the company is still promoting its products on social media, despite the recall and serious health claims.

Missing records, people
“Therefore, the FDA is reiterating that it is crucial that consumers, restaurants, distributors, and retailers not drink, cook with, sell, or serve ‘Real Water’ alkaline water,” the agency said in the update Wednesday. “Given a lack of cooperation by the firm, FDA investigators have been unable to complete investigations,” the update went on. The agency has twice issued the company a Demand for Records under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

But on Monday, a lawyer for Real Water may have provided an explanation for the company’s lack of cooperation. Real Water attorney Charles LoBello told District Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez in a hearing that he could not find the company’s plant manager or lead technician, according to a report by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

“There has been difficulty getting ahold of them,” LoBello said, asking the judge for at least two weeks to track them down.

Separately, another lawyer for the company, Laura Ungaro, contradicted the FDA’s recent update, telling the Review-Journal that the company is in fact cooperating with the investigation.

“I can’t imagine how they could say we’re not cooperating,” Ungaro of Craig Mueller & Associates told the outlet. “We’ve done everything but stand on our heads for them. Anything and everything they want, we’ve made available to them.”

Real Water President Brent Jones—who is also a former Nevada state Republican lawmaker—released a nearly two-minute video on the brand’s website last week, in which he offered the “deepest sympathy and concern over the events that led to the inquiry.” However, the website now displays a message saying that it is “down for maintenance” and only offers links to a recall press release, two water quality test reports, and Jones’ video on YouTube.

Real Water has not responded to multiple comment requests from Ars.

BETH MOLE
Beth is Ars Technica’s health reporter. She’s interested in biomedical research, infectious disease, health policy and law, and has a Ph.D. in microbiology.
EMAIL beth.mole@arstechnica.com // TWITTER @BethMarieMole

Anyone into alkaline water? Our water purifier offers it but we just get the filtered stuff.

ash_fitness365
04-25-2021, 10:21 AM
Drink at least 4 litres per day. Drink more when you are training hard, you can never drink too much water I'm already on my 3rd litre and its only 9 AM.

I also do that for myself that to all the time. Does the work pretty well.

GeneChing
05-12-2021, 09:42 AM
More on Real Water (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?6265-Water&p=1320661#post1320661)

May 11, 2021, 1:52 PM
Real Water faces lawsuit after 5-year-old girl gets seriously ill: "It was excruciating" (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/real-water-recall-lawsuit/?ftag=CNM-00-10aac3a)

Many people buy bottled water because they believe it's healthier but federal investigators are now looking into questions about one particular brand of bottled water sold in several states.

In a YouTube video, Real Water founder Brent Jones said the benefits of his company's bottled alkaline water include "assisting with better cellular hydration and creating an antioxidant effect on the body."

The water was sold nationwide and the company offered home delivery of five-gallon bottles in Las Vegas to people like Ryan and Arika Carrier. The family says they thought they were getting the best water that they could drink and liked the taste of it. Their 2-year-old son Finn and 5-year-old daughter Hera drank it too, but last year, Hera started getting sick.

"Constant complaining, 'Mommy, my tummy hurts. I don't feel good,'" Arika told CBS News national consumer investigative correspondent Anna Werner.

Then in November, Hera got violently ill and couldn't hold food down. She soon became incoherent and was rushed to a local hospital.

"You don't know what's going on with your daughter. You're putting her in the back of the car, limp in the car seat. It was excruciating, excruciating," Ryan said.

When she arrived at the hospital, Doctors told Arika the 5-year-old's liver was failing. They said that they couldn't treat her there, and Hera would need to be life-flighted to Salt Lake City for a possible liver transplant. Doctors in Salt Lake City told the Carriers their daughter had ingested something highly toxic.

"It's absolutely like going into shock, you know, thinking that your 5-year-old might need a transplant," Arika tearfully recalled.

"Not many things make you fall on your knees in life, right? We fell to our knees. Right? We all prayed," Ryan added.

Their prayers were answered, and Hera avoided a transplant.

But it wasn't just their child. Over just 11 days, health authorities said five children between the ages of seven months and five years became ill – all at risk of needing liver transplants. Health officials say the "only common link between all the identified cases" was "the consumption of Real Water brand alkaline water."

In March, the company announced a nationwide voluntary recall of its Real Water brand alkaline water.

Werner went to Real Water's company office to ask whether the company knew what happened to those children, but their office was empty with just a few trucks sitting outside. The company later declined CBS News' request for an interview. But online, Jones said, "We'd like to express our deepest sympathy and concern over the events that led to the inquiry."

In a video posted to his website in March, Jones apologized to his customers and announced a nationwide recall of all Real Water that would last until the safety of the products is "clearly established."

But a videotaped deposition of a former Real Water employee, obtained by CBS News, raises serious questions about how the company made the water last fall.

Casey Aiken, who was hired by Real Water after working for strip clubs, said he had no experience in chemistry and only a couple of hours of what he called "hands-on training." But he was the one in charge of mixing a liquid concentrate into the water at the company's offices outside Las Vegas.

Aiken said in September or October, he was mixing a new batch in the tanks and got a low reading on a meter he was using to measure the water's alkalinity level. So he called his manager, Brent Jones' son Blaine, to ask what to do and was told to add more concentrate.

"And he didn't tell you how much?" Aiken was asked during the deposition. "No, he didn't tell me how much," he replied.

Aiken said he decided to add two and a half more gallons of the concentrate to the water. Aiken said during the deposition that he wouldn't think that adding more concentrate than usually used would potentially cause a problem with the water.

"If I'm putting into somebody that's ingesting it, I would think that it's safe no matter what," he laughed. "That's my thought."

The FDA is still investigating, but consumer advocates say the situation shows the need for stronger regulations for bottled water.

"It really is sort of the Wild West out there with a lot of smaller bottlers facing very infrequent, if any, inspections and testing by the government," Erik Olson, senior director, Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc. said.

That's why the Carriers say they're speaking out and say they want people to be aware. "This can't happen to any more people. It's happened to enough. It's happened to enough," Ryan said.

The Carriers have filed a lawsuit against Real Water.

"We aren't going to leave any stone unturned", said the Carriers' attorney, Colby Williams, of Campbell and Williams in Las Vegas. "Clearly there was a problem with the way either this water was manufactured, the way that it was tested or the way that it was dispensed."

In a court filing, the company denied the allegations.

I just got into alkaline water. Our local purifier provides it (I don't get it from Real Water). I rather like it. It settles my stomach if I have indigestion and has a silkier mouth feel.

highlypotion
05-17-2021, 02:41 AM
Researchers show that alkaline water provides other extra great benefits that regular tap or bottled water lack.

GeneChing
06-01-2021, 02:35 PM
Researchers show that alkaline water provides other extra great benefits that regular tap or bottled water lack. And what do researchers show about NASA-certified water? :p

Scammers in China Sold Bottles of ‘NASA-Certified’ Water for $160 Each (https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkbapn/china-pyramid-scam-nasa-certified-water)
The pyramid scheme saw people touting a miracle liquid that supposedly helps with weight loss, diabetes, and even cancer.
By Koh Ewe
June 1, 2021, 12:50am

https://video-images.vice.com/articles/60b5db3c1606dd009b864e3f/lede/1622530902992-jonathan-chng-otdydgpoj0-unsplash.jpeg
PHOTO: JONATHAN CHNG, UNSPLASH
Among the most expensive liquids in the world, many have good reason to boast hefty price tags. But in a recent case in China, bottles of ridiculously priced “NASA-certified” water turned out to be just regular water, and part of a massive multi-level marketing scheme.

Chinese authorities recently indicted a company named Zhongzichuanglian for operating the pyramid scheme, state-run legal news outlet Procuratorial Daily reported in May.

The company, which operated from 2016 to 2018 and had over 49,000 members, made nearly 900 million Chinese yuan ($141 million) in revenue, most notably through a water product known as “SSG Life Mineral Liquid” that was supposedly certified by the United States’ aeronautics and space agency. Sold in boxes of 15, each 35 milliliter bottle of water cost 1,000 yuan ($160) and claimed to cure various ailments and help people retain youthful vigor. A police investigation later found that it was merely regular groundwater, state-run publication National Business Daily reported.

The case came to light in 2019, when a series of police reports were lodged against the company, after victims of the pyramid scheme realized that they had been scammed. According to Chinese news outlet Legal Daily, members were told that they could enjoy a rebate of 100,000 yuan ($15,700) after spending 150,000 yuan ($23,600) worth of products.

But the cashback reportedly never came, and the water proved useless against its incredible health promises—backed by Nobel Prize winners, or so the company claimed—that included weight loss, a diabetes cure, and cancer treatment.

Despite the supposed all-healing properties of the SSG Life Mineral Liquid, the company claimed that consuming the water by itself can only achieve 70 percent of its effectiveness. To reap its full benefits, customers were encouraged to undergo floating therapy, a service offered by a subsidiary company that runs float centers and sells other wellness products like face masks and pain relief patches. One floating therapy session would cost members 298 yuan ($47).

Members were classified into levels differentiated by the amount of their profits. To boost membership, the company implemented a variety of rewards policies, incentivizing existing members to rake in new ones. The company reportedly also promoted itself by claiming that it used blockchain technology.

According to Procuratorial Daily, 17 people have been indicted in relation to the pyramid scheme. The leaders of the scheme, identified only by their last names Yan and Wang, have been sentenced to 10 years in prison with a 1 million yuan ($157,000) fine, and eight years and six months in prison with a fine of 900,000 yuan ($141,000), respectively.

Follow Koh Ewe on Instagram.

threads
Water (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?6265-Water)
Chinese-Counterfeits-Fakes-amp-Knock-Offs (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?57980-Chinese-Counterfeits-Fakes-amp-Knock-Offs)

GeneChing
06-02-2021, 08:48 AM
The Real Water lawsuit (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?6265-Water&p=1320940#post1320940)

Judge permanently blocks marketing of bottled-water brand (https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/judge-permanently-blocks-marketing-bottled-water-brand-78030006)
A U.S. judge has permanently blocked a Las Vegas-based bottled-water brand Real Water from being marketed while an investigation continues into at least one death and multiple cases of liver illness among people who reported drinking it

ByThe Associated Press
June 1, 2021, 6:18 PM
• 2 min read

LAS VEGAS -- A U.S. judge has permanently blocked a Las Vegas-based bottled-water brand Real Water from being marketed while an investigation continues into at least one death and multiple cases of liver illness among people who reported drinking it.

A court order signed Monday by U.S. District Judge Jennifer Dorsey formalizes a settlement in which AffinityLivestyles.com Inc., Real Water Inc. and company officers agreed to stop processing and distributing the product drawn from municipal tap water, and destroy any in their possession.

Company president Brent Jones, a former Nevada state Republican lawmaker, and attorneys for him and the company didn't immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

Real Water was marketed primarily in Nevada, Arizona, Utah and California.

The Justice Department said Tuesday that defendants including Jones assured the court they no longer prepare or distribute the water that was sold as premium alkalized drinking water in distinctive boxy blue bottles touting “E2 Electron Energized Technology.” Labels said it was “infused with negative ions” and offers healthy detoxifying properties.

That agreement also required the company to turn over to the Food and Drug Administration records about processing, bottling and distribution; and to submit to unannounced inspections of company facilities in Las Vegas, suburban Henderson and Mesa, Arizona.