PDA

View Full Version : training at home

pain_junkie
06-08-2001, 08:02 PM
Okay, unless you're lucky enough to be able to train four to five days a week at your school, you have to resort to training at home to make sure you stay in shape. So, how does everyone train at home? What do you do without the huge workout area, punching bag and gloves, sparring mats, etc.. Do you find that you push yourselves just as hard as at your schools, or do you ease off a bit? Just a curiosity...

later,

Celestial Amiboshi
06-08-2001, 09:13 PM
I was about to ask the same question. I go to my school only three times per week so I need to put in additional practice at home. I need to come up with some sort of regimen for stretching and practicing techniques so I could use my time most efficiently and am too wondering how people here practice at home.

"Apres Moi; le deluge."

Losttrak
06-08-2001, 09:43 PM
I use the time at home to focus on stuff that is omitted in hectic sessions of class. Work on one-leg squats, practice new combat applications of forms, dynamic flexibility, body conditioning, further aerobic work, etc. Equiptment: I have various freeweights at my house, stairs for running up and down, beer bottle for conditioning, kali sticks for hand speed training and forearm twists. Gotta be creative.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

Kumkuat
06-08-2001, 11:04 PM
Go get matt furey's "combat conditioning" book. That should tell you some stuff to do.

walkthecircle
06-09-2001, 08:30 AM
I only have class once a week so I have to train at home.

I have zero equipment besides a pole to walk around and a carpeted floor. OH...and a stop watch.

I train harder at home. usually there's a lot of explanation during class or learning of new material if it's time.

My routine is pretty much just repeat repeat repeat. I rarly do a form more than once or twice in a session. The whole time is spent disecting each movement down and repeat repeat repeat.

honorisc
06-09-2001, 11:17 AM
Watch Sifu. Listen to Sifu. Watch the others. Note what the instructors correct, then don't do that. Apply the Correction~. Sometimes an instructor might give a correction by say ing a principle of the system applicable to over all performanceversus merely that technique. Create drills to impliment the principle. Let the Thought become a realization~. Thinking how it is supposed to be always increases my efficiency of motion, the look, the Flow, the Power, the sharpness. Right now I am Comprehending... I make various techniques more T'ai Ch'i Chuan-ish so that they can be done until my body cannot function, then I slow some and keep going what I can. By the time I do the technique technically correct my muscle memory from the cyclic whatever is like doing the essence of the technique many times repeating it. My techniques have improved when I do them in class~...

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

SevenStar
06-09-2001, 11:00 PM
"you have to resort to training at home to make sure you stay in shape. So, how does everyone train at home? What do you do without the huge workout area, punching bag and gloves, sparring mats, etc.."

The beauty of it is, you don't need all that equipment. All you need is yourself and a little space. You can practice your forms fast to work stamina, dynamic tension for toning and strength. Do you know what one of the best known exercises for building shoulder strength is? Punching! Practice your punches repetitively. Work your kicks and of course stance training. Between plyometric/bodyweight exercises and drills, you should have muscle conditioning taken care of. You actually have more space at home that you do at the kwoon, as you have the great outdoors. Work your forms and training drills outdoors. 1.) you get fresh air 2.)it gets you accustomed to stepping on uneven turf. That can be a determining factor in an altercation. Training at home also gives you an opportunity to work on things that may not have been given alot of attention in class due to time constraints. Here is my schedule. Keep in mind however, that I consider all time away from the kwoon as home training. I am part of the company gym, so I train there during the day.

Mon/Wed/Fri/ AM training
run a mile - either on the treadmill or on the trails.
30 min forms
15 min shadowboxing

Mon/Wed/Fri - Lunch training
there are classes in the aerobics room, so I can't do forms or shadowboxing. I spend the whole hour doing pure aerobic work:
15 min treadmill - run/jog
15 min eliptical stepper
15 min eliptical jogger
15 min treadmill - run/jog

Mon/Wed/Fri PM training
6:30 - 9:30 kung fu

Tues/Thurs AM training - strength
chest/triceps/lats

Tues/Thurs Lunch training
biceps/back/legs

Tues/Thurs PM training
stance training
pushups
iron buffalos
techniques
dynamic stretching

Sat
8 - 12 rounds of shadowboxing. 3 min. rounds with a minute rest between rounds.

Sun.
Off. On Sun., I either take the day off, enjoy some physical activity like basketball, swimming or tennis, or I use it as a make up day for a session that I may have missed.

-SevenStar©
"I see!" said the blind man.

honorisc
06-10-2001, 03:57 PM
Handstand push-ups; single hand hand stands; various foot stompings; feet on the cieling push-ups; punching/ kicking a plastic bag befor it touches the ground; catching falling paper; toss-up items-catch them (two, three or four)switch sides~(gloves socks smallish balls(base-, tennis-, hand-, golf-...)...

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

dumog93
06-10-2001, 07:09 PM
If you ever think of buying anything to use at home and have the room get a power rack.That,and get a 315 pound weight set from your local sports retailer for $130.I started with these and a crappy bench and it saved me a lot of trips to the gym and a lot of frustration waiting for people to get off machines,get done with dumbbells,etc.That and the realization that working out more than 3 or 4 hours a week was actually counter-productive to what i was trying to accomplish helped me get to where i am so far.Now if i could just get used to running around the track as a positive thing rather than seeing it as a form of torture.

-Devildog

pain_junkie
06-11-2001, 06:49 AM
You said working out more than 3 to 4 hours a week was counterproductive for you? Did that 3 to 4 hours INCLUDE your martial arts training at the school? And how was it counterproductive???

Johnny Hot Shot
06-12-2001, 05:54 PM
I have coneverted my garage into a dojo. It is equipped with heavy bag double end bag and makiwara as well as a mirror. It's much like a commercial Dojo only that it is in my garage and only my close friends get to train in it.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson