Wing Chun Questions 2 - Alan Orr Centre line control

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OBn37HEnv0&feature=youtu.be

New Clip is up.

k gledhill
12-20-2011, 07:09 PM

New Clip is up.

I can see our similarities and differences clearer thanks.

Hendrik
12-20-2011, 07:43 PM

New Clip is up.

Excellent clip!

Wayfaring
12-20-2011, 10:05 PM
New Clip is up.

I like the centerline = manipulating entire center of gravity. Yes.

GlennR
12-20-2011, 11:27 PM

New Clip is up.

Bingo, thats WC as i know it

Paul T England
12-21-2011, 01:26 AM
excellent clip and I really like the wobble board idea, will have to try it.

Thanks

wingchunIan
12-21-2011, 01:48 AM
thanks for the clip Alan. Totally agree that disrupting structure and balance is an integral part of Wing Chun including chi sau, whether that be through actions such as lap sau or uprooting by driving into the centre from an angle (rather than the static striking that you showed as an option at the start). The obvious observation is that one also learns to feel these things and to control one's own balance to avoid being disrupted / controlled and the set up of pushing to induce a reaction merely gives the partner an opportunity to disrupt your balance.
Love the wobble board, might introduce one as part of early training.

Alan Orr
12-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Thanks guys

Wayfaring
12-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys

Next video we are expecting some Jeff Glover level antics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBeBrMxz_aQ

Hardwork108
12-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Great video, Alan. It is all logical and it is all Wing Chun, with added insights focusing on one of the most important aspects of Wing Chun (and other kung fu) practice - structure, balance and roots, which are the construct of potent body unity.

Buddha_Fist
12-22-2011, 08:28 AM
That's Gary Lam's control centerline:

http://garylamwingchun.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=106

Probably as influenced by Hawkins Cheung.

WC1277
12-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Decent video Alan. While we agree in principle I still see differences in our approaches. Extending the arms to the point where structure goes away combined with pushing being the main culprit. Might work with someone of equal size or smaller but won't do much at all with a larger, stronger opponent. How do you guys deal with static control?

Alan Orr
12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Great video, Alan. It is all logical and it is all Wing Chun, with added insights focusing on one of the most important aspects of Wing Chun (and other kung fu) practice - structure, balance and roots, which are the construct of potent body unity.

Excellent. Many thanks

Alan Orr
12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
That's Gary Lam's control centerline:

http://garylamwingchun.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=106

Probably as influenced by Hawkins Cheung.

Yes Gary learnt a lot from H Cheung and exchanges with my teacher for sure.

Alan Orr
12-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Decent video Alan. While we agree in principle I still see differences in our approaches. Extending the arms to the point where structure goes away combined with pushing being the main culprit. Might work with someone of equal size or smaller but won't do much at all with a larger, stronger opponent. How do you guys deal with static control?

I not trying to agree with anyone. I am just showing what I do. I have know need to agree. We can all have different ideas. Extending the arms?? its a demo - I am showing power control. Larger, stronger it all works fine - I have a lot of big strong fighters - it all works. I am showing a few things in short clips - its not the whole system lol that would be a but longer.

Pushing and issuing are different, also when you use the horse for power its all no problem at all.

Deal with static control? I don't understand your question?? What is your example? Then maybe I can answer you.

WC1277
12-22-2011, 11:12 AM
I not trying to agree with anyone. I am just showing what I do. I have know need to agree. We can all have different ideas. Extending the arms?? its a demo - I am showing power control. Larger, stronger it all works fine - I have a lot of big strong fighters - it all works. I am showing a few things in short clips - its not the whole system lol that would be a but longer.

Pushing and issuing are different, also when you use the horse for power its all no problem at all.

Deal with static control? I don't understand your question?? What is your example? Then maybe I can answer you.

First off, chill out just a little man. I wasn't trying to get you to agree with me. It's a form of conversation. Think philosophical discussions....

Anyway, I mean, how do you apply that principle when you, yourself, are not in motion and recieve incoming force?

Alan Orr
12-22-2011, 11:53 AM
First off, chill out just a little man. I wasn't trying to get you to agree with me. It's a form of conversation. Think philosophical discussions....

Anyway, I mean, how do you apply that principle when you, yourself, are not in motion and recieve incoming force?

Chill out? I was not upset with your post. I'm just saying, I have no need to explain and agree everything small thing I do.

All is cool. sorry I misread your post. Busy day. lol

Anyway when I receive force I root it in my legs and hips and store the pressure then redirect it.

Best Alan

Vajramusti
12-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Chill out? I was not upset with your post. I'm just saying, I have no need to explain and agree everything small thing I do. Also calling me little man is being rude.. I don't know you why people feel the need. Anyway when I receive force I root it in my legs and hips and store the pressure then redirect it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan- I don't think that he was calling you a little man.
Nuances of differences in colloquial phrasing across the pond- me thinks.
You did give your answer to the question he was asking.

Alan Orr
12-22-2011, 12:19 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan- I don't think that he was calling you a little man.
Nuances of differences in colloquial phrasing across the pond- me thinks.
You did give your answer to the question he was asking.

Thank you. I misread the post. I have corrected it. Thank you and sorry for the over reaction.

best Alan

WC1277
12-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Chill out? I was not upset with your post. I'm just saying, I have no need to explain and agree everything small thing I do.

Anyway when I receive force I root it in my legs and hips and store the pressure then redirect it.

Best Alan

Joy is right, I didn't call you a little man. There was an "a" there in front of little. Thanks for answering the question.

FWIW, I do think(my opinion, if that helps) you're a little too sensitive for this forum. People aren't going to 'word' their "opinions" in the manner of your choosing in an open discussion. Especially on the Internet. I recommend that if you don't like the way someone responds to you, then just ignore their post....

Alan Orr
12-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Joy is right, I didn't call you a little man. There was an "a" there in front of little. Thanks for answering the question.

FWIW, I do think(my opinion, if that helps) you're a little too sensitive for this forum. People aren't going to 'word' their "opinions" in the manner of your choosing in an open discussion. Especially on the Internet. I recommend that if you don't like the way someone responds to you, then just ignore their post....

Yes I am very sorry. I was on the phone and a close friend had some bad news on his health and I didnt read it correctly. Please ask anything you like and I will try to give my best answers.

Alan Orr
12-22-2011, 02:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTEy-yMEv0Y&context=C318dc01ADOEgsToPDskKSbRxtRNOj81qDAdVKPxea

This may help answer your question.

best Alan