PDA

View Full Version : Situation: Fighting a Runner

MightyB
12-21-2011, 06:56 AM
I like how YKW has been trying to introduce positive discussion. I was just watching some sparring clips from another poster, which were pretty good btw, but I noticed something. In sparring as in real life, you run into a lot of runners. People who try to minimize engagement with a quick strike or two and then run like heck. What strategies or tactics should you use to force a runner to stay and engage?

David Jamieson
12-21-2011, 07:06 AM
relentless pursuit and entry. Once you know you have a runner, just move in and sink your claws in.

Ray Pina
12-21-2011, 07:24 AM
If the guy is running away, the fight is over.

If its someone you want, then you have to chase them down and trap them so they can't escape.

MasterKiller
12-21-2011, 07:59 AM
I like how YKW has been trying to introduce positive discussion. I was just watching some sparring clips from another poster, which were pretty good btw, but I noticed something. In sparring as in real life, you run into a lot of runners. People who try to minimize engagement with a quick strike or two and then run like heck. What strategies or tactics should you use to force a runner to stay and engage?

I like to rape his mom first. That usually ensures engagement.

-N-
12-21-2011, 02:16 PM
If the guy is running away, the fight is over.

If its someone you want, then you have to chase them down and trap them so they can't escape.

What Ray said.

IRL anyway.

If it's just sparring training, and one of the students keeps running, I'll remind him that he can't kill the other guy by running.

I'll set up drills where the run option is disallowed.

One is to make them both stand with one foot inside the small circle at center court(basketball).

I do a quick 1-2-3 count. As soon as I start counting, they both have to try to attack and get the other guy before I finish.

First to score, wins. Stepping out of the circle counts as a loss. The game is called ""3 second death match". But it's more like 1.5 seconds. You can do this over and over again at a fast pace.

The point being that you instill the aggressive instinct and explosive attack. It's structured and fast and desensitizes the person from being flinchy. Each person gets a decent amount of positive feedback when they know they "won". They also get trained not to mentally fixate on whether they hit or got hit last because the next "match" starts in 2 seconds.

When doing sparring training where we want the other person to run, the person chasing gets to develop fast footwork. So we'll work specifically on ability to overrun the other person too.

TenTigers
12-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Bait him into attacking you and then as soon as he starts to move, attack and relentlessly pursue him, keeping the pressure on. Invade his space. Do NOT stop until he is done.
"Hand to hand, heart to heart,
you don't move, I won't start.
But if you move, I'll hit first,
And I won't stop until there's red." (blood)

-N-
12-21-2011, 02:20 PM
What strategies or tactics should you use to force a runner to stay and engage?

Also, don't force the other guy. Trap the other guy.

You have to be the one that is "flinchy" or "weak".

Give the other person confidence to attack/chase, then use your Mantis footwork pull a fast reversal on him.

Mantis does this by training the back/front transition to a high skill level.

You can use the swallow/spit method. Or din bo for momentum change. Or the decreasing retreat and turn around method.

-N-
12-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Bait him into attacking you and then as soon as he starts to move, attack and relentlessly pursue him, keeping the pressure on. Invade his space. Do NOT stop until he is done.
"Hand to hand, heart to heart,
you don't move, I won't start.
But if you move, I'll hit first,
And I won't stop until there's red." (blood)

Haha... posted while I was still editing.

You are clearly faster :)

TenTigers
12-21-2011, 02:33 PM
I merely intercepted your intent.
"Attack the attack!"
:D

YouKnowWho
12-21-2011, 03:58 PM
The SC jacket was designed in such a way that it forces your opponent to fight instead of running away. The moment that you get a grip on your opponent's SC jacket, he has to fight you and he can't run away any more.

If your opponent doesn't have SC jacket, you have to get a hold on your opponent. You then pull him into you when you attack him.

You have to be patient. One successful entering is all you need.

Dragonzbane76
12-21-2011, 04:29 PM
I've sparred a few people with this type of tactic. one guy was really tall and had good reach. I chased him around and around trying to corner him. Used distant kicks set ups for punching but still couldn't get him cornered. Eventually I found something that kinda worked. Stand your ground and counter punch everything. Starts frustrating them enough to come to you. Once they are close, as jamison said, sink the claws in and clinch up. (that's my game at least) I'm not going to chase someone around. Let them come to you is the best philosophy.

Syn7
12-21-2011, 05:05 PM
well that depends entirely on your style. if youre a counter striker, fight inside the pocket or dance yourself.

if you are great at fighing on the outside and have zero grappling skills you would want to avoid a clinch with anyone, runner or not. and vice versa, if you want to be inside, just lunging out coz he's a runner could get you hurt.

the difference between good fighters and great fighters is that recognition that you own your style and only you really know whats best for you in any given situation(combat). if one is honest with themselves in assessing their own skills, they should know where success resides and how to get there. there is no one rule that works for everyone. all you can do is offer suggestions and hope they fit the target.

Scott R. Brown
12-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Most people just get down on one knee and ask her to marry you, don't you think rape is a bit extreme? I mean it worked for the Romans and the Sabines, but, you know, now-a-days perhaps that approach is less effective!

Especially if she refuses your engagment request..... AWKWARD!!!!!:eek:

mooyingmantis
12-22-2011, 09:24 AM

FOOTWORK!

I teach my students how to herd the runner into a corner or to the end of the leitai so that there is nowhere to run. It is the same as a boxer who constantly presses his opponent into the corner of the ring. Like in dancing, the fighter has to lead.

Syn7
12-22-2011, 04:39 PM
what about in an open field?

if he wants to run, let em....

they gotta come into your range if they want to get you. besides, one should be rounded and capable of defence and offence at ALL ranges.

Fa Xing
12-22-2011, 04:54 PM
FOOTWORK!

I think this is super important, as well as learning how to intercept them as they come to you. If they want to hit you, then they have to move towards you, and as soon as that happens you hit.

IronFist
12-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Crazy monkey drills with your back against a wall helps beginners learn not to run or back away.

Lokhopkuen
12-22-2011, 08:28 PM

Counter strike. Most runners don't strike with any debilitating force so bait a trap, leave an "apparent opening" in your defense and when they take the bait trounce 'em:D
Sorry I should have read all of the great responses before posting...

Lokhopkuen
12-22-2011, 08:31 PM

You sir are the quintessential essence of the gentleman.:cool:

-N-
12-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Counter strike. Most runners don't strike with any debilitating force so bait a trap, leave an "apparent opening" in your defense and when they take the bait trounce 'em:D
Sorry I should have read all of the great responses before posting...

WHF, Brendan Lai's teacher, liked to use high/low guard for that. Center torso looks completely exposed.

Lokhopkuen
12-23-2011, 03:29 AM
We train some of the Seven Star method -N-, the mantis has an interesting energy.
I always enjoyed and admired Master Lai's demonstration. is there any footage out there of WHF in application?

Peace:D

-N-
12-23-2011, 07:31 AM
We train some of the Seven Star method -N-, the mantis has an interesting energy.

Sifu Lai would say, "... we like it.". :)

I always enjoyed and admired Master Lai's demonstrationw. is there any footage out there of WHF in application?

I'm not aware of any. Probably Alex Tse would know, if anyone.

I only just heard a few stories of WHF.

Lokhopkuen
12-23-2011, 07:48 AM
I've seen many photographs and I have some of the old manuals in Chinese, I was curious if there was motion picture?

EarthDragon
12-23-2011, 07:53 AM
this is the stupidist thread on the board. If you are engaged in a fight and the guy runs away the fight is over. go train get off the computer

Lokhopkuen
12-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Discussion forum aren't we grumpy this morgan sunshine:p

Drake
12-23-2011, 08:32 AM
this is the stupidist thread on the board. If you are engaged in a fight and the guy runs away the fight is over. go train get off the computer

Because nobody has figured out what the OP meant by "runner" is a reference to someone who hits and runs, keeping their distance, but not disengaging.

And because of that ignorance, yes, this thread has turned stupid.

EarthDragon
12-23-2011, 09:38 AM
mightb's post

People who try to minimize engagement with a quick strike or two and then run like heck. What strategies or tactics should you use to force a runner to stay and engage?

perhaps I misunderstoond the question, but if someone doesnt want to fight by trying to run or disengage have some compassion and let them go. I have had peopple on the ground put up there hands and say Ok Ok you dont continute to hit or hurt them at that point.

Drake
12-23-2011, 10:04 AM
mightb's post

perhaps I misunderstoond the question, but if someone doesnt want to fight by trying to run or disengage have some compassion and let them go. I have had peopple on the ground put up there hands and say Ok Ok you dont continute to hit or hurt them at that point.

That and the legal ramifications of continuing the fight after the threat has been removed.

Lokhopkuen
12-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Only allowed to use enough force as nessicary to repel an attack....

-N-
12-23-2011, 11:10 AM
In sparring as in real life, you run into a lot of runners. People who try to minimize engagement with a quick strike or two and then run like heck. What strategies or tactics should you use to force a runner to stay and engage?

In the sparring context, here's an example of a tentative opponent.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/Mr_Ugly/kf1_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

White shirt is thinking about grabbing the other guy and hitting him. But he won't commit, and he doesn't get the grab, let alone the punch.

He makes the mistake of trying three times.

Green shirt stays on the outside and times white shirt's third attempt and tries to blitz him.

In this example:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/Mr_Ugly/kf2_a_GIFSoup_com.gif

White shirt is a little flinchy, and throws only a single punch from too far away.

Green shirt chases him down until white shirt gives him a stop kick to the thigh.

Don't have any example clips of setting a trap for a hit and run guy.

RenDaHai
12-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Runners tend to be skittish. They will evade weak and strong strikes alike. Use a barrage of feints to control them.