PDA

View Full Version : Never Trust Anyone Who Hasn't Been Punched In The Face

IronFist
12-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Interesting article.

http://takimag.com/article/never_trust_anyone_who_hasnt_been_punched_in_the_f ace/print#axzz1hHhlvkoU

Conservatives like to talk about the causes of Western Civilization’s downfall: feminism, loose morality, drug abuse, Christianity’s decline, reality TV. Blaming civilization’s downfall on lardy hagfish such as Andrea Dworkin is like a doctor diagnosing senility by an old person’s wrinkles. The fact that anyone listened to such a numskull is a symptom, not the cause, of a culture in decline. The cause of civilizational decline is dirt-simple: lack of contact with objective reality. The great banker-journalist (and founder of the original National Review) Walter Bagehot said it well almost 150 years ago:

History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it.

Every great civilization reaches a point of prosperity where it is possible to live your entire life as a pacifist without any serious consequences. Many civilizations have come to the state of devolution represented by modern Berkeley folkways, from wife-swapping to vegetarianism. These ideas don’t come from a hardscrabble existence in contact with nature’s elemental forces; they are the inevitable consequence of being an effete urban twit removed from meaningful contact with reality. The over-civilized will try to portray their decadence as something “highly evolved” and worthy of emulation because it can only exist in the hothouse of highly civilized urban centers, much like influenza epidemics. Somehow these twittering blockheads missed out on what the word “evolution” means. Evolution involves brutal and often violent natural selection, and these people have not been exposed to brutal evolutionary forces any more than a typical urban poodle.
Through human history, vigorous civilizations had various ways of dealing with the unfortunate human tendency toward being a weak ninny. The South Koreans (for my money, the hardest men in Asia today) have brutally tough military training as a rite of passage. I’ve been told that the Soviet system had students picking potatoes during national holidays. The ancient Greeks used competitive sports and constant warfare. The Anglo-American working classes, the last large virtuous group of people left in these countries, use bullying, violent sports, fisticuffs, and hard living.

I think there is a certain worldview that comes from violent experience. It’s something like…manhood. You don’t have to be the world’s greatest badass to be a man, but you have to be willing to throw down when the time is right.

A man who has been in a fight or played violent sports has experienced more of life and manhood than a man who hasn’t. Fisticuffs, wrestling matches, knife fights, violent sport, duels with baseball bats, facing down guns, or getting crushed in the football field—men who have had these experiences are different from men who have not. Men who have trained for or experienced such encounters know about bravery and mental fortitude from firsthand experience. Men who have been tested physically know that inequality is a physical fact. Men who know how to deal out violence know that radical feminism’s tenets—that women and men are equal—are a lie. We know that women are not the same as men: not physically, mentally, or in terms of moral character.

Men who have fought know how difficult it is to stand against the crowd and that civilization is fragile and important. A man who has experienced violence knows that, at its core, civilization is an agreement between men to behave well. That agreement can be broken at any moment; it’s part of manhood to be ready when it is. Men who have been in fights know about something that is rarely spoken of without snickering these days: honor. Men who have been in fights know that, on some level, words are just words: At some point, words must be backed up by deeds.

Above all, men who have been in fights know that there is nothing good or noble about being a victim. This is a concept the modern “conservative movement,” mostly run by wimps, has lost, probably irrevocably. They’re forever tugging at my heartstrings, from No Child Left Behind to Israel’s plight to MLK’s wonders to whining that the media doesn’t play fair to the overwrought emotional appeals they use to justify dropping bombs on Muslims. The Republicans are even taking seriously a pure victim-candidate: Michelle Bachman. As far as can be told, she’s a middle-American Barack Obama with boobs and a slightly loopier world view.

Modern “civilized” males don’t get in fistfights. They don’t play violent sports. They play video games and, at best, watch TV sports. Modern males are physical and emotional weaklings. The ideal male isn’t John Wayne or James Bond or Jimmy Stewart anymore. It’s some crying tit that goes to a therapist, a sort of agreeable lesbian with a **** who calls the police (whom he hates in theory) when there is trouble. The ideal modern male is the British shrimp who handed his pants over to the looter in south London.

How did we get here? Estrogens in the food supply? Cultural Marxism’s corrosive influence? Small families? Some of the greatest badasses I’ve known had many brothers to fight with growing up. When good men who will fight are all extinct, there is no more civilization. No lantern-jawed viragos are going to save you from the barbarian hordes. No mincing nancy boys with Harvard diplomas will stand up for the common decencies: They’re a social construct, dontcha know. The conservative movement won’t save you: They’re chicken-hearted careerists petrified of offending a victim group.

Teddy Roosevelt, my ideal President, kept a lion and a bear as pets in the White House and took his daily exercise doing jiu-jitsu and boxing. He even lost vision in an eye in a friendly boxing match while he was president. Our last three glorious leaders are men who kept fluffy dogs and went jogging. I don’t trust squirrelly girly-men in any context. When confronted with difficult decisions, they don’t do what’s right or tell the truth—they’ll do what’s easy or politically expedient. Unlike the last three, Teddy Roosevelt never sent men to die in pointless wars, though he was more than happy to go himself or risk his neck wrestling with bears.

I’m no great shakes: I’m a shrimpy egghead in a suit who thinks about math all day. I don’t train for fighting anymore, and my experiences with violence are fairly limited. Nonetheless, I judge people on these sorts of things. When I first meet a man, I don’t care what kind of sheepskins or awards he has on his walls. I don’t care if he is liberal or conservative. I want to know if they have my back in a fight. That’s really the only thing that matters.

(there are some links in the article that didn't copy and paste over)

bawang
12-22-2011, 10:27 AM
thats a stupid article.

Drake
12-22-2011, 10:28 AM
thats a stupid article.

I agree. Let's fight.

bawang
12-22-2011, 10:33 AM
where you live?

Drake
12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
where you live?

Kandahar.

sanjuro_ronin
12-22-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.bestmotivationalposters.com/images/star-trek-motivational-poster-diplomacy.jpg

Vajramusti
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
thats a stupid article.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is one time when bawang said something sensible.

Lee Chiang Po
12-22-2011, 04:50 PM
In the past, Empires fell because they got too big to effectively cover their own A$$. Today, we are looking at the grim reaper again in the form of FACEBOOK. All the games and crap. Almost everyone I know plays there. I know people that lost jobs and have not found another one because they could not leave it alone. Labor unions are driving our strongest industries out of business, and the rest are outsourcing jobs that would restore our economy.

Fa Xing
12-22-2011, 05:02 PM
I think it's a great article and it has an important, your everyday man is a *****. While I would in truth do my best to avoid a fight, I know what it's like to be in one, and I know how I would react.

There is a big difference between tough and an *******.

Vajramusti
12-22-2011, 05:32 PM
What does all this have to do with kung fu---we have instant Spenglers, Gibbons and Toynbees on out list????

David Jamieson
12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
There's a lot of truth in that article and little bit of misplaced bravado.
Not bad overall though.

mickey
12-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Greetings,

Sparta trained combatives 24/7; Athens did not, prefering to honor the growth and development of the human being. Sparta could never conquer Athens in all of its attempts.

The article is bullsh!t from the example given above.

mickey

Lucas
12-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I only trust people that I've personally punched in the face.

-N-
12-23-2011, 11:16 AM
i only trust people that i've personally punched in the face.

lol.

Ftw :D

sanjuro_ronin
12-23-2011, 01:10 PM
I only trust people that I've personally punched in the face.

FTW.
I would add that I do NOT trust people that:
Do not drink
Have issues with sex
Have religious issues ( over zealous in EITHER direction).
Think that armpit hair on women is sexy

Lucas
12-23-2011, 02:11 PM

so then; The French.

:eek: ;)

Hebrew Hammer
12-23-2011, 06:17 PM
FTW.
I would add that I do NOT trust people that:
Do not drink
Have issues with sex
Have religious issues ( over zealous in EITHER direction).

You're going to have to rethink that last one Sailor, a little bush wackin builds character. Seriously how much time are you really spending in her arm pit?

I would add...or the people who paint their lives as completely cheery...you know the fronters who are always posting lame inspirational quotes and saying how wonderful their spouses/kids/life are all over My Face or Spacebook or some other social netfronting sight. They're definitely hiding something.

Finally never trust a stripper that tells you her boobs are real. I keep falling for that crap.

wenshu
12-23-2011, 07:01 PM
If by "punched in the face" you mean "ate a whole pie in one sitting". . .

Then yes.

You can trust me.

David Jamieson
12-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Greetings,

Sparta trained combatives 24/7; Athens did not, prefering to honor the growth and development of the human being. Sparta could never conquer Athens in all of its attempts.

The article is bullsh!t from the example given above.

mickey

Mickey, no offense, but your history sucks. Sparta crushed Athens in the Peloponnesian war. Both Athens and Sparta were Greek city states that actually considered themselves "brothers".

They did have two very different social and political models though, but Sparta was not a failure by any sense of the word.

Your example is not legitimate, as it is untrue.

mickey
12-24-2011, 08:34 AM
David Jamieson,

I did some research and found that I was in error. That is what a public school education can get you at times. Talk about embarassing. Thank you for the correction.

mickey

JamesC
12-24-2011, 08:45 AM
I remember a history book from middle school that said the Statue of Liberty was made of aluminum.

David Jamieson
12-24-2011, 09:21 AM
I remember a history book from middle school that said the Statue of Liberty was made of aluminum.

Public school history books contain nothing on the reality of what the statue of Liberty is, what it represents and why all the monarchy in Europe envies and despises her at the same time.

The statue of liberty represents and is the final executioner of Rome. :p

She's copper, steel and stone.

RickMatz
12-27-2011, 08:04 PM
I think a bit more to the point is:

Would you want to learn a martial art from someone who has never been in a fight?

Hebrew Hammer
12-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Being in fight doesn't make you a good martial arts instructor, some people are horrible fighters but good instructors/trainers, some amazing fighters cannot instruct. I would want competent instruction, good training, with applications at speed or sparring. I have had great martial instruction from female instructors who I'm pretty sure have not been in many fights. Not that I asked.

Yoshiyahu
12-27-2011, 11:11 PM
If you had a choice...

To learn how to fight and get stronger from Mike Tysons trainers or Mike Tyson himself which one would you pick?

If you had a choice to learn gung fu from Bruce Lee or the people he learn from which one would you pick?

I would pick the ones who made them great!!!

YouKnowWho
12-28-2011, 12:10 AM
I always liked to ask my teacher, "What did you do in that fight?" His answer always benefit me more that his actually teaching.

Student: What did you do in that fight?
Teacher: I faked him.
Student: How did you fake him?
Teacher: I did ...

If your teacher doesn't have combat experience, this kind of conversation would never happen.

Hebrew Hammer
12-28-2011, 01:29 AM
That's the wrong conversation, its never what he would do...its what you should do...his skill set is not your skill set. You could have trained in the same style but you two would probably not choose to fight the same way. If your teacher said 'a spinning backfist' and you suck at spinning back fists or wouldn't try one in a fight, what's the point?

The conversation should be:

Student: when presented with this attack how do I counter it?
Sifu: You can do x y or z...let me show you.

Then practice its application at varying degrees of difficulty. You have to find the moves that are most comfortable in performing/mastering...very few fighters are good at everything, great fighters are adaptable yes, but even professionals have one or two things they are exceptionally good at and almost always resort to those techniques to win.

Any teacher worth his or her salt, will challenge you, maximize the things your good at and work to minimize or defend your weak points.

I don't care he's been punched in the face before as long as he can teach me, how to ensure the other fool gets punched in the face.

Too many people equate the success of their teacher with their own success. Usually the greatest students exceed the prowess of those who taught them. As any teacher will tell you cannot determine the success of your students, it must come from within.

David Jamieson
12-28-2011, 06:37 AM
It is a common error in thinking to believe that only those who were top drawer make the best teachers.

that's untrue and a non starter. They are completely different apples from totally different tress. Still apples, and that's why it's a juicy temptation to drop that line as irrelevant as it may be.

The people who trained the great fighters are almost never ranked themselves or didn't have illustrious careers themselves, but they turned out to be versed in the art they loved and knew how to transmit that to their charges.

Please don't ask for examples as there are a million of them literally. But if you have it in your head that this is how it is, than that's what you believe. That's fine.

Yoshiyahu
12-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Name one heavy weight boxing world champion who trainers and coaches were world champions in any division in boxing?

Lucas
12-28-2011, 02:30 PM
rocky balboa!! :eek:

Ben Gash
12-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Mickey, no offense, but your history sucks. Sparta crushed Athens in the Peloponnesian war. Both Athens and Sparta were Greek city states that actually considered themselves "brothers".

They did have two very different social and political models though, but Sparta was not a failure by any sense of the word.

Your example is not legitimate, as it is untrue.

Just because QI is awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gohlHJ-Wlv0

YouKnowWho
12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Name one heavy weight boxing world champion who trainers and coaches were world champions in any division in boxing?

- My brother in law taugh me lighting skill. Since he could not jump on the roof top. I lost confidence and quited.
- I also trained pressure point attack. Since the person who taught me had tried very hard and still didn't kill me, I lose confidence and quited.
- My teacher got a head lock on me one day, it hurt like hell, I had confidence in it. I have spent many years training in that since then.
- I had used "single leg" on all of my students. It built confidence for them. Later on they were all good in "single leg". They even used "single leg" to defeat the Ohio State Univ. SC team 2 years in a role (The Ohio State Univ. SC team had defeated UT Austin SC team before that - so the Ohio State Univ. SC team members won't be mad at me :D). Even their coach Dr Weng said, "Your guys all use single leg".

To me, "seeing is believing".

Maybe there is different between "general skill" training and "special skill" training. Anybody can teach you how to kick, punch, lock, throw, ground game. If you want to learn how to develop a special skill, you will need someone who had developed that skill himself in order to share with you his personal experience.

Yoshiyahu
12-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Name Three of your all time favorite boxers?

- My brother in law taugh me lighting skill. Since he could not jump on the roof top. I lost confidence and quited.
- I also trained pressure point attack. Since the person who taught me had tried very hard and still didn't kill me, I lose confidence and quited.
- My teacher got a head lock on me one day, it hurt like hell, I had confidence in it. I have spent many years training in that since then.
- I had used "single leg" on all of my students. It built confidence for them. Later on they were all good in "single leg". They even used "single leg" to defeat the Ohio State Univ. SC team 2 years in a role (The Ohio State Univ. SC team had defeated UT Austin SC team before that - so the Ohio State Univ. SC team members won't be mad at me :D). Even their coach Dr Weng said, "Your guys all use single leg".

Maybe there is different between "general skill" training and "special skill" training. Anybody can teach you how to kick, punch, lock, throw, ground game. If you want to learn how to develop a special skill, you will need someone who had developed that skill himself in order to share with you his personal experience.

omarthefish
12-29-2011, 07:33 AM

You didn't really answer his question.

I don't think you can. All your argument shows is that you need a teacher who is much better than you were when you started. "Someone who had developed that skill himself" does not have to be a world champion any more than a music teacher needs to be world famous. Who taught Miles Davis? Can you name him without looking it up? How about Eddie Van Halen? We all know about Bobby Fischer. Who taught him to play chess?

This myth of the best fighter being the guy you wanna train with is a particularly Chinese notion. Don't know why that is. :o

Lucas
12-29-2011, 08:40 AM
it may have its roots in the military. Only the strong survive, and only the survivors will be allowed to teach.

YouKnowWho
12-29-2011, 10:26 AM

You didn't really answer his question.
We may look at TCMA training from different angles. You can learn "general TCMA skill" from any high school TCMA club. But you can't advance from there. In the old time, every TCMA teacher has something special to offer. After you have developed your general skill, you may want to go to teacher A to learn his special skill X, go to teacher B to learn his special skill Y, and go to teacher C ...

My senior SC brother David C. K. Lin has told all his students that there are some moves that he has used in tournament. There are also some moves that he knows how to use by has never been tested in combat. He also indicates that some moves are only good for demo and not good for combat. If your teacher doesn't have personal combat experience, there is no way that he will be able to tell you this.

I can only reference to my personal experience. If my teacher doesn't have personal combat experience, he cannot help me to solve my personal combat problem.

Lucas
12-29-2011, 10:28 AM
also keep in mind that great fighters have great coaches (often times plural) they will have a primary coach, but generally there will be someone through their training process that has solid fight experience. sparring partners, fight coach, etc. they may not be champs but they wont be chumps.

Faruq
12-29-2011, 11:40 AM

Ricardo "Finito" Lopez, Mike McCallum and...please don't laugh at me...., Mike, err, Tyson... Well, he was pretty good before he became champion...