PDA

View Full Version : Black Tiger Steals Heart

ghostexorcist
12-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know the earliest reference to the "Black Tiger Steals Heart" (黑虎偷心) move in Shaolin records? I imagine it evolved outside of the monastery before Shaolin began to practice boxing during the Ming-Qing transition. As I've pointed out on another thread years ago, I found the move referenced in relation to Yue Family boxing in the famous novel The Story of Yue Fei (说岳全传), which was published in 1684. What is the earliest reference in non-Shaolin records?

Xian
12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know the earliest reference to the "Black Tiger Steals Heart" (黑虎偷心) move in Shaolin records? I imagine it evolved outside of the monastery before Shaolin began to practice boxing during the Ming-Qing transition. As I've pointed out on another thread years ago, I found the move referenced in relation to Yue Family boxing in the famous novel The Story of Yue Fei (说岳全传), which was published in 1684. What is the earliest reference in non-Shaolin records?

Didnt suggest the Taizu Chang Quan from Song Dynasty and various other forms like different stick forms that they practiced Kung Fu before Ming Dynasty ?

Kind regards,
Xian

RenDaHai
12-22-2011, 06:40 PM
I'd imagine this name has been around for a while, its a technique which seems to be used in pretty much every style I've encountered. However different sects use the same name for different moves.

HeiHuTaoXin 黑虎掏心 (I see this 'tao' 掏 much more often than 'tou' 偷 all though who really knows... but if you are researching the northern styles I would suggest using 'Tao' not 'Tou')

The most common that I have seen it used is the front hand disrupting the enemy by forcing their arms (or head) upwards, exposing and stretching their chest while the rear hand does a powerful punch to the solar plexus. Although sometimes the name is used to refer to the standard punch pulling the reverse hand to the waist. I have even seen claw techniques also given this name although that is unusual in the North. I'm sure there are other variations.

The technique although easily translated as 'Black tiger pulls out the heart' is slightly more mysterious. In many definitions black does not refer to the colour of the tiger but rather the fact that the strike is obscured and hidden by the other hand in some way. Conversely the technique 'BaiHuTaoXin' (white tiger pulls out heart) would refer to striking the heart directly and obviously with no deception.

kentchang
01-04-2012, 06:21 PM
"Black Tiger Steals Heart" (黑虎偷心) is more like a technique within many southern kung fu schools.

Neeros
02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
This is our first combat sequence we learn out of sixteen fundamental sequences, I just learned it a couple days ago. :D

It is really a great technique. Fun fact, my Sitaigung deeply developed his skills in this pattern and used it exclusively to win many fights. It was his "ultimate technique."

r.(shaolin)
02-07-2012, 10:23 PM
I'd imagine this name has been around for a while, its a technique which seems to be used in pretty much every style I've encountered. However different sects use the same name for different moves.

HeiHuTaoXin 黑虎掏心 (I see this 'tao' 掏 much more often than 'tou' 偷 all though who really knows... but if you are researching the northern styles I would suggest using 'Tao' not 'Tou')

Humm. I would suggest that "'tou' 偷" is not thee definitive 'term' used in northern systems. During the 1800's some traditions in Henan province, Beijing and Shanghai passed on 'Hei Hu Tou Xin 黑虎偷心 (Black Tiger Steals Heart)' as a 'term' for a kicking technique, and 'Hei Hu Chuan Xin' 黑虎穿心 (Black Tiger Piercing the Heart) as a name for a Shaolin set. In the tradition I practice it is part of a group of sets which includes: three barehand sets; two contact (2-person fighting) sets ; a staff set; and a broadsword set related to Da and Xiao Hong Chuan Quan.
r.