PDA

View Full Version : wrist pushups

wisdom mind
06-13-2001, 06:55 PM
how many of you do back of the wrist pushups?

i do them on all surfaces, carpet, tile floor, wood floor, grass, cement.

for beginners i recommend grass as the ground is soft and gives a little, build slowly with this one folx!

wisdom mind
06-13-2001, 09:43 PM
12 hits not one question or reply?????

one can develop so that the practitioner will be able to "jump" from normal push ups to fingertips to back of wrist and other comboz

blaze one always

SevenStar
06-14-2001, 05:03 AM
yeah, we do combos. we start on our palms, then jump to knuckles, then to wrists, then fingertips.

-SevenStar©
"I see!" said the blind man.

Radhnoti
06-14-2001, 06:51 AM
We do palms down with fingers pointing forward, then fingers pointing out, then fingers pointing in, then fingertips (as much like tiger claw as possible), FINALLY we do wrist pushups. I'm really terrible at them...and not too hot at the fingertip pushups. :(

-Radhnoti

IronFist
06-14-2001, 07:24 AM
Be careful doing wrist pushups. I wouldn't recommend "jumping" from any kind into wrist pushups, because the high impact could injure your wrist.

What is your reasoning for doing them? Does it condition you in a specific way that other exercises won't?

The only thing it really does is put constant strain on your wrist. You're not hitting any additional muscles or anything. If you weigh too much you may crush your wrists.

Iron

SevenStar
06-14-2001, 07:33 AM
I agree with you on that Iron. That's why we do wrists next to last. We do so many of the other variety that by the time we get to wrists and fingertips, we don't have the strength to jump, as our wrists would give if we did. I've never actually asked why we do wrist push ups though. I always assumed it was mainly for wrist flexibility, like a dynamic stretch along with the push up.

-SevenStar©
"I see!" said the blind man.

David
06-14-2001, 11:50 AM
I like the jumping wrist to palm to wrist pushups a la Jackie Chan.

I do them because it's a striking surface and if you do fingers, knife hand or knuckles then why not add the wrist? Flexibility improves, too

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

uki
12-30-2009, 11:54 AM
what an inspirational thread. :)

KTS
12-30-2009, 07:14 PM
these can be almost scary. i have pretty flexible wrists(from stretching!!!!), but these have to scare other people.

u just have to know how to extend into your hands(or rather, through the wrists) and i also wouldn't recommend jumping with this format.

i only do them from time to time. i find it best to become fairly flexible before doing these.

uki
12-31-2009, 04:37 AM
these can be almost scary. i have pretty flexible wrists(from stretching!!!!), but these have to scare other people.

u just have to know how to extend into your hands(or rather, through the wrists) and i also wouldn't recommend jumping with this format.

i only do them from time to time. i find it best to become fairly flexible before doing these.i can do them and jump them around... i am obviously convinced that juggling iron bars for two years and the iron balls for one year has definitely helped develop the strength to help me accomplish the practice... i prefer ground or carpet(other surfaces are fine in winter when you are wearing clothing for padding) fingertip jumps to back of wrist jumps are pretty cool... i am simply a fan of the "back-wrist" strike. :D

Iron_Eagle_76
12-31-2009, 07:37 AM
In my style we did fingertip and wrist pushups. I find the fingertip to be very beneficial for finger and joint strength and development, but the wrist pushups always seemed to put too much pressure on my wrists and did more damage than good. It may be different for others but that is why I no longer practice wrist push ups.

uki
12-31-2009, 07:47 AM
In my style we did fingertip and wrist pushups. I find the fingertip to be very beneficial for finger and joint strength and development, but the wrist pushups always seemed to put too much pressure on my wrists and did more damage than good. It may be different for others but that is why I no longer practice wrist push ups.as in everything, moderation is the key... as with most things in my life, i tend to juggle between martial arts training and practice concepts... sometimes i'll do exercises for months, then stop for months while i do other exercises - recently i have got back into push ups and this thread inspired me to see if i could jump around from back of wrist, to fingertips, and other positions and surely enough, i am able. :)

KTS
12-31-2009, 07:01 PM
i can do them and jump them around... i am obviously convinced that juggling iron bars for two years and the iron balls for one year has definitely helped develop the strength to help me accomplish the practice... i prefer ground or carpet(other surfaces are fine in winter when you are wearing clothing for padding) fingertip jumps to back of wrist jumps are pretty cool... i am simply a fan of the "back-wrist" strike. :D

nice work it sounds like! i will use something like a mattress to work some of these kind of "pressing" exercises because of the need to constantly make your own self stable against an unstable surface. that really "ups" the game in exercises like these. also, these are certainly not for the faint.